Let's talk about grease

TeeMartini

I'm curious about the Kuza Indian Hemp, what are the ingredients?

ETA: TeeMartini, your hair looks great in your avi!

prettybyrd Thank you so much! The ingredients in the Kuza Indian Hemp Oil are:

Petroleum, paraffin wax, Fragrance, Indian Hemp extract, soy bean oil, natural herbs tea, lanolin, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, Rosemary leaf oil, avocado oil, safflower seed oil, wheat germ protein, isopropyl palmitate.

I have been using it for a about a year on and off. I have a girlfriend that swears by it and her hair grows like a weed.

Last edited:

emada

Yea my old hairdresser would grease my scalp with Kuza. It has nice ingredients and smells great :yep:

prettybyrd

Yea my old hairdresser would grease my scalp with Kuza. It has nice ingredients and smells great :yep:

I am going to pick up some after work.

I love that so many of us are posting about using grease and still have hair. :grin: Wasn't our hair supposed to fall out and stop growing by now?

veesweets

Well four weeks of sealing later I can't say I'll be hoping back on the grease. Not getting any of the sheen/shine, softness, moisture retention, humidity help, style definition, or manageability you ladies are achieving. If anything, my hair just looks super dull after using it even though I've been shampooing it out weekly :ohwell:

BUT I am really enjoying the cantu coconut curling cream (has petrolatum). The days I use it I get some great moisture and softness. Maybe it just needs to be in smaller amounts for me.

Mz.MoMo5235

TeeMartini I apply to the length of my hair, edges, and double up on my ends and kitchen. I do my best to keep it off of my scalp other wise I have to do more washes.

prettybyrd I think its because we're using grease the proper way now (at least for me that's been the biggest change). Before I was using hair grease as my source of moisture to my hair and only washing my hair once a month, and relaxing root to tip every relaxer, and using super strength relaxer, and using it to hot comb with...

When I think about the stuff I did to my head I see now why my hair still isnt as thick as it was pre-relaxer years and my last relaxer was in 2006 or 2007 ('m not sure any more). My scalp is probably scared to grow more hair in fear that I would start over again lol

greenandchic

Well four weeks of sealing later I can't say I'll be hoping back on the grease. Not getting any of the sheen/shine, softness, moisture retention, humidity help, style definition, or manageability you ladies are achieving. If anything, my hair just looks super dull after using it even though I've been shampooing it out weekly :ohwell:

BUT I am really enjoying the cantu coconut curling cream (has petrolatum). The days I use it I get some great moisture and softness. Maybe it just needs to be in smaller amounts for me.

I am learning that less is more. :yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@prettybyrd I think its because we're using grease the proper way now (at least for me that's been the biggest change). Before I was using hair grease as my source of moisture to my hair and only washing my hair once a month, and relaxing root to tip every relaxer, and using super strength relaxer, and using it to hot comb with...
:yep:

Wooohooo! Yes I remember those days! When there was new growth during my relaxed days--hit it with grease and presssss it out all the way to the ends root to tip OR the hot curler--EVERY MORNING with grease! I applied grease daily even when I was natural on dry hair...on top of the grease that was already on it the day before and the day before that! No wonder my hair was busted and dry.

With LHCF, the overall consensus is to pick out one aspect of a reggi and trash it as opposed to looking at the bigger picture. :look: :lol:

It's all so individual. I've since tried mineral oil products. My hair dont care. Tried silicon products 2 months ago. My hair started to shed in massive amounts and break :sad:. So it's all about experimenting with YOUR hair.

And for mine? Grease it is!

prettybyrd

TeeMartini I apply to the length of my hair, edges, and double up on my ends and kitchen. I do my best to keep it off of my scalp other wise I have to do more washes.

prettybyrd I think its because we're using grease the proper way now (at least for me that's been the biggest change). Before I was using hair grease as my source of moisture to my hair and only washing my hair once a month, and relaxing root to tip every relaxer, and using super strength relaxer, and using it to hot comb with...

When I think about the stuff I did to my head I see now why my hair still isnt as thick as it was pre-relaxer years and my last relaxer was in 2006 or 2007 ('m not sure any more). My scalp is probably scared to grow more hair in fear that I would start over again lol

This is it for me, too. I'm back to grease, but my overall hair care has improved significantly.

I wash my hair frequently, I minimize heat, and I only apply my greases to seal - not to already dry hair. I tried that and it was unsuccessful.

I also remember relaxing root to tip. My cousin told me that she would relax her edges every 4 weeks, and so I started doing it, too. All these years later I'm still trying to obtain thick edges. But I think that my edges, like your hair Mz.MoMo5235, is afraid to come back. They are growing in slowly, but very slowly. It's like they're testing the waters.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

Oh, no veesweets. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but that Cantu coconut curling cream is really good. I bought it a while ago and had the best WNG! How do you wear your hair with the curling cream?

Mz.MoMo5235

:yep:

Wooohooo! Yes I remember those days! When there was new growth during my relaxed days--hit it with grease and presssss it out all the way to the ends root to tip OR the hot curler--EVERY MORNING with grease! I applied grease daily even when I was natural on dry hair...on top of the grease that was already on it the day before and the day before that! No wonder my hair was busted and dry.

With LHCF, the overall consensus is to pick out one aspect of a reggi and trash it as opposed to looking at the bigger picture. :look: :lol:

It's all so individual. I've since tried mineral oil products. My hair dont care. Tried silicon products 2 months ago. My hair started to shed in massive amounts and break :sad:. So it's all about experimenting with YOUR hair.

And for mine? Grease it is!

See and I'm the same but on the other side. My hair loves some silicon products. But any thing with mineral oil is a no go unless its at the bottom of the ingredients list.

Its all about seeing what works for you. I'm thankful for lhcf, bhm, and other bloggers for stopping me from using certain products. But I'm more thankful to them for teaching me how to add certain things back and using it correctly so that I could truly listen to my hair.

I tell people all the time "she's the boss. She makes demands and if I obey my hair looks great and grows. If I ignore her, she'll make me pay dearly"

Kindheart

What do u guys use to wash grease out ? My hair used to love grease but it's a pain to get rid of the residue.

Mz.MoMo5235

I switch between aussie moist shampoo, head and shoulders (winter usually) and right now I'm using clear brand (cant remember which one) but I dont really like that one so I'll go back to HS and AM.

I will not lie though, if I have super build up going (this hasnt happened from grease but other random trying of products) I will use dawn dish detergent :look: If its good enough to save the lives of ducks and other wild life it can help me *runs and hides*

Kindheart

I switch between aussie moist shampoo, head and shoulders (winter usually) and right now I'm using clear brand (cant remember which one) but I dont really like that one so I'll go back to HS and AM.

I will not lie though, if I have super build up going (this hasnt happened from grease but other random trying of products) I will use dawn dish detergent :look: If its good enough to save the lives of ducks and other wild life it can help me *runs and hides*

That last sentence ! Ahahahah :lachen:

Lissa0821

I have started to grease my scalp with Ulta Sheen Creme Pres on wash days and my hair is just fine. I part my hair, apply it to my scalp and new growth. I will spritz my hair with water as I go along the parts as well. It seems to keep my new growth soft and moisturized for days. It seems to be the only thing that works now I am five months post. I have tried BB Super Growth, indian hemp and a grease by proactive but they seem to weigh down my hair and are difficult to wash out. The Ulta Sheen Creme Pres seems to absorb into my hair well and I have no issues washing it out.

krissyhair

I was a little over zealous with the grease this morning after a cowash. I wanted my hair to be very moisturized for this weekend trip for my family reunion. I just won't add anything else on top of it until I get home Sunday.

veesweets

Oh, no @veesweets. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but that Cantu coconut curling cream is really good. I bought it a while ago and had the best WNG! How do you wear your hair with the curling cream?

I may buy some different greases and try again later this year. I might have better luck in the winter or something. They're really cheap so no harm in trying.
But yes the cantu is great stuff! It leaves my hair so pillowy soft. I've been using it for braid outs and twist outs. I haven't tried it for a wash n go yet but I will.

Mz.MoMo5235

My hair is driving me up the wall.I promise I'm so close to say *** it, shave it again anf start rocking lf with some Brazilian hair!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
My grease has arrived :reddancer:. It's almond glaze from Hairveda. :love: this stuff. I will use it on my dry hair in the evening 2-3 times a week. I will use on my scalp, edges, and ends.

greenandchic

I found my (somewhat) old jar of Bronner Bros. Max Strength Super Gro. It smells delicious and its good on my nape and ends.

twolala

I just bought some grease the other day! It was the Softee Coconut Oil grease. I hadn't use grease since I was a kid, but I really needed something for my dry scalp