LET'S TALK ABOUT MECHANICAL DAMAGE:

Healthb4Length

And how it can derail your hair growth efforts. I've been on this board for awhile and while I know alot about hair care, there's somthing new to learn everyday. I couldn't figure out why my hair growth seems to stall after a certain length. For me that is APL, for the past year and a half I've had to do major chops each time I hit BSL. I've changed my routine several times; am diligent about doing weekly deep treatments, put leavin-conditioner and moisturizers in my hair (especially my ends). So why were my ends breaking? I finally realized that all this was due to styling stress or mechanical. Yes I was and continue doing protective styles such as twistouts/braidouts and minimum heat, I believe that these same protective styles may have been hurting my progress. Constant twisting of the ends, braiding styles, rough combing and brushing too often have cost me length:wallbash:. I've learned my lesson, baby your ends or you'll lose all the hard earned length you've gained.

Yeah, I recently did a thorough trim due to raggedy looking ends as a result of mechanical damage. My goal is to be kinder and gentler to my hair from here on out.

*nods*

Yup, yup - I'd have to say that 80% of hair growing is keeping what's on the ends, not hurrying up what's coming out of the scalp. Gotta treat it like antique lace....

oh yes
this is why i'm staying protective/low manipulation
i definitely want to lessen the stress i put on my hair.

And how it can derail your hair growth efforts. I've been on this board for awhile and while I know alot about hair care, there's somthing new to learn everyday. I couldn't figure out why my hair growth seems to stall after a certain length. For me that is APL, for the past year and a half I've had to do major chops each time I hit BSL. I've changed my routine several times; am diligent about doing weekly deep treatments, put leavin-conditioner and moisturizers in my hair (especially my ends). So why were my ends breaking? I finally realized that all this was due to styling stress or mechanical. Yes I was and continue doing protective styles such as twistouts/braidouts and minimum heat, I believe that these same protective styles may have been hurting my progress. Constant twisting of the ends, braiding styles, rough combing and brushing too often have cost me length:wallbash:. I've learned my lesson, baby your ends or you'll lose all the hard earned length you've gained.
This is so true...question...are u going to stop doing twistouts, braid out..if yes, what protective styles are u going to incorporate into ur regimen???

Wow.. Thanks for the info b/c I have started doing braidouts.. I notice a little breakage when I do them and my ends become dry really quick.. Now I will only be doing braidouts every once in a while and sticking with my ponytail bun which has gotten my thus far :yep:

Glad to read this post!! I also noticed braiding my hair made my ends break, I am sticking to buns too!:yep:

This is so true...question...are u going to stop doing twistouts, braid out..if yes, what protective styles are u going to incorporate into ur regimen???

I plan to continue with these protective styles but not as frequently. I would do my twistouts and braidouts every night because I wanted it to look "fresh." That was my downfall, I'll try to do more buns too but I'll definately be more gentle in my handling.

This does hold some truth. I think that is why I always see progress everytime I straighten my hair.,...because I rarely comb it!:look: Its hard to do WNG's in the winter with it being so cold. So all I do everyday is pull my hair back (only smoothing the front) and I wont comb/detangle until next wash day...which is once a week.

Back