LHCF long hair Initiations

amy1234

This is for the those of us that had shorter hair but now have longer lengths. Share you stories that have made you realize that you finally have long hair. For ex. Recently my bf inspected my hair the other day by touching and rubbing my scalp , I questioned him about it and he told me that he was checking to see if I had been wearing a weave. I've heard of this happen to other members in the past , but it never happened to me and I wondered why
. Now that I've experienced that I'm not offended by that, I actually felt like I was initiated as a long haired girl
Can anyone else relate??

Tracy

I overheard people describing me as "short, thick, long hair..." or referring to me as the "girl with the long hair"

People routinely ask where I get my weave done.

It's always getting caught under straps and articles of clothing.

I WANT it up all the time because it's genuinely in my way.

And here's the big one for me...

I NEVER dread a trim anymore, because even if they cut off 2 or 3 inches, my hair would still be long....

chicamorena

A lady that I know who is like a second mother to me asked me if I was wearing a weave because my hair was getting longer each day.

I went to see my brother and he was feeling through my hair to see if I have tracks.

My hair keeps getting caught under my purse.

Angelicus

After leaving my umbrella in class, a girl runs up to me and sceams "Hey u, A.C... girl with the long hair! u left your umbrella!"

another time I was talking to one of my coworkers about the kids we tutor, and he stops in the middle of the conversation to tell me "Your hair is really growing long."

then again, a classmate says "Dang girl your hair is so long now. When u reach brastrap length i'll join your little hair board."

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

I NEVER dread a trim anymore, because even if they cut off 2 or 3 inches, my hair would still be long....

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, this was my favorite part of having practically waistlength hair. I NEVER paid attention to trims. I wanted my ends healthy and even so I didn't even fret if I went home with an inch gone every 2 months. This is the best!

For me, when my hair was finally getting past bra strap as an adult, I didn't really pay it much attention. But then my best friend or my dad would say "wow, your hair is really getting long." I didn't believe them though!

When I was contemplating my big cut in December, a work friend told me that even if I cut a few inches, on one would notice b/c my hair was so long anyways. She was right. I cut off almost 5 inches and hardly no one noticed....or maybe that had to do with me wearing my hair up so much that no one knew what was under there anyways!

shinyblackhair

Well when I first joined LHCF my hair was just starting to get back to the length I'd been accustomed to before my "Halle Berry" cut, which is a few inches below shoulders. Now here I am practically BRA STRAP and well...my hair has never been this long since I was a child! I am used to the "you hair looks like weave" comments because I got those comments even before I had hair as long as it is now b/c it was still "long" compared to most.

However, I love the fact that people notice that my hair is getting longer even than what people have always known me to have. Some people chalk it up to "oh, her hair grows fast" or "she has good hair" Those comments make me
I'm like do they think I wear this bun all the time because I love it??? Meanwhile they are all blow drying and flat ironing and colouring the life out of their hair! :::rolling eyes:::: pul-eease...

People in my husband's family refer to me as a "long hair" type of girl...whatever that means, lol...

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I love these types of stories because you guys are the only ones that can relate.

There was a time while waiting in line for movie tickets a woman asked me (in a low whisper) where did I get my weave done, its beautiful!

I first realized that my hair is long when I put on my coat in the winter and had to pull my hair out from under it to keep it from getting caught.

My husband always offers to give me a scalp massage because he wants to play in it.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, this was my favorite part of having practically waistlength hair. I NEVER paid attention to trims. I wanted my ends healthy and even so I didn't even fret if I went home with an inch gone every 2 months. This is the best!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait until I get to that point!!
I still stress out a little when it's time to trim!!

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

People routinely ask where I get my weave done.

It's always getting caught under straps and articles of clothing.

I WANT it up all the time because it's genuinely in my way.

And here's the big one for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy I couldn't agree with your responses more! I often get people asking me if thats "ALL" my hair, as well as "Wow, your hair is sooo long."

Mariaat40

I also get the "Your hair is getting so long" comments all the time. Or, even better, "Your hair is so long and healthy!" One friend even said, "Your hair is so long and *I've* seen it grow." In other words, I know it's not a weave. I will be so happy when I don't worry anymore about trims. And my stylist will be ecstatic!

skegeesmb

Well I knew my hair was getting longer when my cousin told me "ohmigoodness, your hair is soooo long", I remember when it was at your chin, dang girl your hair GREEEEWWW."

Now I know my hair is getting longer because if I get three inches cut, I will still be past shoulderlength. So I won't dread getting a trim.

Also my bangs and side hair touch my collar bone. My bangs have never been this long in my adult life. Yay, and it's almost brastrap length now.

aqualung

1. When I went home for holiday break and my mom was very curious about the ringlets and my routine. My sister spent a few minutes viewing this forum, too!

2. When I wore my hair down after 8 weeks of the bun and a (white) girlfriend absentmindedly took her hair down and started flipping it around when we were discussing a movie trip.

3. When other LHCF people asked me about my routine and congratulated my progress earlier this month. Usually I'm the one asking around.

4. When I walked into a meeting with a fresh rollerset and a black prof said "Oh wow!" and raised his eyebrows before he stifled himself.

flyjump00

Yes, a couple of times when I was in college and went home to visit family. My own Grandma pulled my hair and told me she could not believe how long my hair was. She still does that every time I go home. It makes me feel good.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
4. When I walked into a meeting with a fresh rollerset and a black prof said "Oh wow!" and raised his eyebrows before he stifled himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that made your day!!

amy1234

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait until I get to that point!!
I still stress out a little when it's time to trim!!

[/ QUOTE ]

this will probably be the final phase of my initiation, not having to worry about trimming my hair. I am scheduled for one soon but I don't feel as nervous as I used to

joemerald

oh yeah, just last week at a book club meeting. People have been commenting about my hair, how I am swinging looking all model-like, then I was sitting and a friend smoothed down the back of my head. I swear she was trying to feel tracks or something.

kinikini2

I've missed LHCF!
oooh
I can't wait!! Grow hair, grow! I want to be able to wear one of those high ponytails and actually have my own ponytail to swing.. more stories please

Isis

Well, I'm not sure if I qualify yet for this long hair initiation.

I did notice that when I took my hair down to wear in my first braid out after wearing it up in a bun for so many months, my bf kept staring at my hair. He said he didn't believe black hair can grow and assumed that black women with longer hair were always wearing weaves or extensions.

I do notice more and more that I have to make sure my hair isn't getting caught in my seatbelt or coat.

Boadicea

1. My fiance, when "helping" me put on my coat, swept my hair up and over the hood so it wouldn't get burried in my coat.

2. Some lady in the food court, after whispering in a huddle of her firends, asked to borrow a pen and then pretended to write something while looking at my hair (and I mean her nose was a centimeter away from my scalp) and then went back to her friends and said "Nope, it's real!"

3. It gets caught in my lip gloss, purse strap, the seatbelt, trapped under my fiance's arm when he puts his arm around me.

4. When I got my last touch-up, I had a crowd around me asking me how I got my hair so long. They looked very disappointed when I said that I keep it up 99% of the time. They didn't ask me anymore questions after that!

5. I found that it took longer to braid my hair or twist it into a classic bun.

6. I would accidentally pull my hair when washing the middle of my back.

7. The setter at the Dominican salon I go to used the coveted silver rollers (for arm-pit length or longer) on my hair!

8. When I lie down on my side, my hair drapes off the end of the bed.

9. It falls in my face when I bend down to pick something up.

10. I have to use more conditioner as it grows.

brickhouse

When I got a touchup and everybody at the salon kept telling me how my hair has grown.

When I wore my hair down the day after my touchup and the deputy sheriff (white in GA) stopped me for speeding and running a yellow light but did not give me a citation.

brickhouse

Oh I forgot one that is last but not least. When my baby sis saw how healthy and long my hair was she joined LHCF.

katie

I can't wait for some of these things to happen to me!All I get right now is "Your hair looks so healthy"and "Your hair is getting a lot longer"

Tracy

Bo - I def have the conditioner problem. I'm actually reluctantly resigning myself to find cheaper ones because I'm not going to be able to afford using a quarter of a bottle of $20 conditioner on my hair every 2 days....

My SO also has to watch where he puts his arms and is always apologizing for being on my hair.

He also asks me to wear it down all the time now... "Baby, I want to go to the movies. And put on those jeans I like and wear your hair down so I can floss..."

I can't WAIT for the silver rollers tho.... not there yet. My hair is def at least arm pit - but they save the silvers (in mjy salon it's red and black) for the girls with hair near waist length. Your hair is WAY longer than armpit.....

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
brickhouse said:

When I wore my hair down the day after my touchup and the deputy sheriff (white in GA) stopped me for speeding and running a yellow light but did not give me a citation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl you better WORK law enforcement! Work it OUT!

skegeesmb

oh, I have some new ones.

When my hair is in a high ponytail, the ends hit an inch past shoulderlength.

I remember when I bought hair helper vitamins from Oleda Baker (you know that white woman who says if she doesn't cut an inch of hair every two months it would be down her back) and I looked at her hair when it was spread out to show length, I wished my hair looked like that....IT DOES!!!

When I have my elbows on a flat surface or the bed my hair touches it.