Like Children

Hairsoaper

Yesterday, my mother told me the most endearing story that I just had to share it. She was at the beauty salon getting her hair done and they were talking about how funny kids can be and some of the things they have caught their children doing. One of the ladies was talking about her son, whom they call "Preacher" because he loves to pray for people and preach to people..mind you, he is only 4 or 5 years old. She said first he says the Lord's prayer, and then he prays for the person afterwards. Well, she said at his school, when the children do something wrong, as punishment, they have to sit in the brown chair. So everyday, Preacher comes home and says "Momma, I didn't have to sit in the brown chair today." So she says, "Oh good! I'm so proud of you" and she will reward him with something. So one day, the father went up to the school, and when talking to the teacher, he happened to mention that he was proud of his son for never having to sit in the brown chair. The teacher then said, "Who? Preacher?! Oh, he sits in the brown chair several times a day!" So my mom was so tickled about this Preacher, that she was happy when he came to the salon with the lady's husband to pick her up, that she was able to see him. She said "Hi Preacher. Did you have to sit in the brown chair at school today?" And he shook his head and said "No." She said "Oh, I'm so proud of you," and she gave him a dollar and told him he could buy some chips. He said "I already have chips". So then she said you can buy some fruit. He said "I already have fruit," and she kept telling him things he could buy and he kept replying that he already had them. So then, she asked him if he would pray for her thumb, because my mother has been having a lot of problems with arthritis in her thumb. He said "Yes." So then he held her thumb and began to pray. He started out with the Lord's prayer (which he got mixed up a couple of times, but for the most part he got it right). Then after the prayer, he began to pray for her thumb. And his prayer went like this:
"Lord, thank you for her thumb. Amen."

When my mom told me this, I was too tickled!! But then I thought about it. What a simple but relevant prayer. How many times do we adults say these long, drawn out prayers for something, thinking the longer and more complex they are, or the more we "petition" or beg/plead, the better or more effective the prayer is? And how many times do we actually THANK him that we even have a thumb?! (or whatever pertains to that prayer). This reminded me that God knows what we need even before we ask. The Preacher already had everything he needed, and everything my mom told him he could get, he already had. And even though we are not perfect (and may sit in the brown chair everyday, then lie about it) God still answers our prayers.
AND guess what? My mom said her thumb is better today! Praise God for children. :)

"And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." [Matthew 18:3]

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." [Philippians 4:6]

"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." [Matthew 6:7-8]

Last edited:

dreamer26

This little boy sounds just like my nephew in Ft Lauderdale. At home when he preaches he has to put on his church shoes and then he read a scripture and start preaching. The funny thing is what he's saying makes good since and it will have you saying AMEN if his mom let him keep going.

I agree with your post, just like my little nephew and this little boy you're talking about, for them it's not about them it's about praying a earnest prayer to God and getting it answered. No form or fashion just straight from the heart.

Thanks for posting.