List of Herbs That Are Beneficial To Hair

Beamodel

In search of me finding more information on tea rinsing and ayurvedic herbs, I found this article that appears to have a lot of helpful information on each herb and how they benefit your hair.

http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/list-of-herbs-that-are-beneficial-to-hair

Alder Bark
Alder bark is a hair darkening botanical, but it generally produces a lighter tone than sage, it can cover gray hair with a light to medium brown color.

Aloe
Aloe vera helps in restoring the pH balance in the scalp and in turn creates a* suitable environment for* hair growth. Aloe vera, when combined with some other natural ingredients can help to solve hair problems such as dandruff, balding, dryness, roughness and losing sheen.

Arnica Montana
Arnica is used to rejuvenate the scalp and also to stimulate hair follicles, which in turn will strengthen the hair and keep it from falling out prematurely. Arnica extract may also help to prevent premature graying of the hair. A hair rinse prepared with arnica extract has been used to treat alopecia neurotica.

Basil
Basil is a beneficial herb that stimulates and promotes hair growth. improves hair quality, nourishes and rejuvenates hair follicles. Basil has very powerful stimulating properties, that is why rubbing some basil oil into your scalp can assist in follicle nourishing and regeneration.

Bay Leaves
Bay Leaves are a very potent anti-dandruff rinse and can help a person suffering from excess dandruff in the hair. It is used to promote hair growth and it has a very potent oil that can be used externally for several aliments.

Beet
Beets have several important uses to the body* and hair when taken internally because of its nutrient rich properties. Externally beets contribute to hair health by eliminating dandruff. Beet juice* combined with carrot juice is known to give hair red highlights when mixed together equally and applied to the hair.

Bergamot
Bergamot is a tropical plant which has a very sweet smell and a number of medicinal properties including being anti biotic and disinfectant in nature. Bergamot inhibits growth of germs, virus and fungi. If* used regularly in shampoos or soaps, the plant especially the oil, can protect skin and hair from infections and gives skin and hair a healthy glow.

Birch
Birch tree is also known as the tree of life. It is known for containing several properties that are beneficial to the whole body. The leaves, buds, bark and sap are used from the birch tree. A birch leaf bath helps to strengthen hair roots and prevent the forming of dandruff. A tincture of birch buds can be used to massage the scalp for stimulating hair growth.

Blackberry Shoots
Blackberry is derived from brambel, or brymbyl, signifying prickly. A noted hair-dye has been made by boiling the leaves in strong lye, which imparts to the hair a permanent soft black colour.

Brahmi
Brahmi is a medicinal plant which is a known memory enhancer. The leaves of the brahmi plant was used from olden days to enhance hair growth. Brahmi*powder* a derivative from the leaves is a remedy for people with chronic hair problems. Additionally brahmi can make hair dark and dense which makes it good for premature graying, strengthens hair roots,controls hair thinning and hair loss and clears up dandruff.

Burdock root
Burdock Root is traditionally used to promote hair growth and reduce hair shedding. The burdock root oil extract* is used as a scalp treatment to improve the strength, sheen and body of the hair. Burdock root is also purported to stimulate hair growth, when used weekly, as a final rinse.

Calendula
Calendula also known as the ‘pot marigold’ is best known as a skin care herb. However, the petals of the plant are usually used with great effect for hair, it can be used as a dandruff remover, the tea can be used as a hair rinse to bring out blonde and brunette highlights. Using the herb in conjunction with others can make the hair soft with a lovely sheen.

Catmint
Cat mint is renown for its ability to help condition hair and to prevent split ends.It is also known to fight itchiness, which is a common cause of hair loss and also promotes hair growth.

Catnip
Catnip contributes to better hair quality, it is a great alternative to conditioner, some of its uses include: reduced split ends, increased hair thickness, increased hair quantity and irritation of scalp

Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper improves blood flow which is essential to stimulating hair growth and for protecting* the hair follicles from the effects of DHT and it* increases the effectiveness of other herbs when used in conjunction with it to regrow hair in areas where growth had stopped.

Chamomile
Chamomile is one of the world’s best-loved herbs because it is great for quite a few things. There are even some uses for hair, a chamomile hair rinse is a good hair conditioner, it will lighten blonde hair overtime, the tea is a good hair tonic when used as a rinse.

Cherry Bark Wild
Cherry bark is a great conditioner for the hair, when applied hair is smoother and silky. It also accentuates reddish tones on black hair.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon is very important in hair care, especially the oil* from this fragrant herb. It is good for: hair loss (both male and female patterns), hair thinning, weak and brittle hair, improving hair quality, making your hair stronger and healthier and hair lightening. Used in conjunction with honey, cinnamon powder makes a good hair tonic and a good hair dye.

Cloves
Clove tea makes a great rinse after conditioning to enhance hair color for dark hair with auburn or red highlights, it brings warm tones to browns and enhances red and auburn highlights. Used in conjunction with eucalyptus oil,* clove oil can be rubbed into the scalp to prevent hair loss and enhance hair growth.

Comfrey
Comfrey contains a chemical compound called allantoin, which is a cell rejuvenator, a tea made of comfrey is especially beneficial to dry hair, it makes hair very soft and silky when used as a rinse, comfrey has also been known to stimulate the scalp and stimulate hair growth. It is very good when used in cases of traction alopecia.

Dong Quai
Dong Quai contains phytoestrogens which inhibit the formation of DHT, a major cause of hair loss. The name Dong quai translates as “return to order” due to its apparent health restorative properties. It is used along with horse tail and stinging nettle to prevent hair loss.

Eclipta alba
Eclipta alba commonly known as False Daisy, is especially good for the hair. Eclipta keeps the hair dark and lustrous and when applied to the scalp it promotes hair growth. When the leaf juice is boiled with sesame or coconut oil, this can be used on the hair to make it black and luxuriant. Combined with amla (Indian gooseberry)* and sometimes with brahmi it is a very popular hair oil in India that is used to blacken hair.

Elderflowers
Elderflowers*can be used as a conditioner and hair rinse. As elder is both mild and healing, the infusion is frequently used to treat skin problems like dry or sensitive skin and scalp. It may also be used to reduce freckles. Elder can be used in rinses containing the flowers to lighten and condition gray or blonde hair.

Last edited:

Beamodel

Fenugreek
Fenugreek is a a natural herb with* potent seeds, that have been proven to reduce balding, hair breakage and shedding, hair thinning and dandruff. When the seeds are crushed or boiled and placed on the hair it has been found to have a restorative effect on the hair shaft. The seeds contain hormone precursors that replenish hair growth. Fenugreek contains a large amount of lecithin, a natural emollient known to strengthen and moisturize hair.

Garlic
Garlic is a hair loss herb that works by providing nourishment to the hair follicles, especially if the nourishment of the hair follicles is being blocked by DHT or by bad diet.It also kills germs, parasites and fungi that may be infecting the scalp area.It also improves hair texture,* makes the hair roots stronger and thus prevents breaking hair.

Ginko Biloba
Ginko Biloba improves blood circulation in the scalp, providing* hair follicles with more nutrients and making the hair stronger. The herb prevents and slows down hair loss, and even possibly boost hair re-growth. because of its ability to stimulate blood circulation to the brain and skin, this herbal remedy is thought to be effective for promoting hair re-growth and improving the quality of the hair.

Ginseng
Ginseng is an adaptogen which means it helps the body adapt to stress, which is known to be a cause of hair loss. It also helps to stimulate hair growth in women. The ginseng is usually used in conjunction with other herbs for hair tonics and is a prevalent ingredient in many herbal shampoo preparations.

Green tea
Green tea is packed with antioxidants which benefit the hair and scalp by preventing hair loss, soothes dandruff and psoriasis, and also contains vitamin C, vitamin E and panthenol. Panthenol strengthens and softens hair and prevents split ends, while the super Vitamin E restores dry or damaged hair, while vitamin C guards against damage from UV radiation.

Hemp
Hemp promotes hair growth by providing essential fatty acids,deep cleans and lubricates the scalp, protects and nourishes the scalp and hair and stimulates hair growth.

Henna
Henna is a natural hair colorant. It gives hair reddish-orange shades, henna also reduces dandruff and is known to kill ringworm and lice in the hair. Besides all of these good things it is a natural conditioner and mixed with other herbs can leave hair very strengthened.

Hibiscus (Sorrel)
Hibiscus also known as Jamaican Sorrel or Sorrel is rich in AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) and amino acids that provides a tightening effect to the skin without stripping the natural (sebum) oils. The crushed dried flowers are used as a hair dye as each Hibiscus flower yields a natural dark purplish dye which may be used to colour premature grey hairs. Hibiscus infusions are great as a final herbal rinse and provide excellent slip and detangles naturally curly hair instantly.

Horsetail
Horsetail contains silicon which strengthens tissues in your body ncluding your hair and skin. Horestail is great for hair rejuvenation and is very effective in the promotion of hair growth, it also seals the hair cuticles and stops hair breakage. It can be used topically on the hair as a rinse or it can be done as a tincture and massaged into the scalp.

(Amla) Indian Gooseberry
Amla is a proven hair tonic and is used in all ayurvedic preparations for hair loss. It enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. Amla also strengthens the roots of hair, maintains color and luster for the hair. It gives additional nutrition to scalp and hair which prevents hair loss and stimulates hair growth. It is also known to prevent scalp infection and controls premature graying of hair.

Indigo
Indigo used along with henna can make hair thicker. The henna and indigo mix relaxes curls, and makes hair full, manageable and glossy. Using henna and indigo for hair coloring can result in a range of black colors.

Juniper
Juniper is a great way to restore luster to hair and to restore moisture to the hair strands from the root to the ends of the hair. Juniper is also used to condition and to accentuate dark hair.

Lavender
Lavender is an all round useful herb for hair it stimulates hair growth, decreases oil production by providing balance to the scalp. It is also one of the foremost herbs in the fight against alopecia (hair loss) and is instrumental in hair re-growth.

Lemon Grass
Lemongrass promotes healthy scalp care, stimulates circulation and is purported to be a*hair growth stimulant. It also*prevents the development of bacteria, and alleviates scalp rash.

Licorice
Licorice extract is believed to be effective at preventing hair loss. It can be used either topically, orally or both to reduce hair loss.

Madder Root
Madder Root is an age old natural colorant that has been used to maintain hair color, it can be combined with other natural colorants like henna to enhance red shades.

Marigold
Marigold can be used on the hair to treat fungal infections of the scalp, helps to keep the scalp healthy and adds shine to the hair gives the hair body and bounce. Marigold is also used treat hair damaged from exposure to sun, wind and chlorinated or sea water

Marshmallow
Marshmallow is a* herb that is a great alternative to store bought conditioners, it provides an abundance of ‘slip’ which helps to nourish and detangle thick naturally curly, wavy & Afro type hair.

Mints
Mint is able to stimulate blood circulation process, it regulates the production of oil which is helpful in cases of dry or oily hair.

Mulberries
Mulberry strengthens hair, promotes the growth of eyebrows and beards. And the mulberry leaf has been used to promote hair growth.

Neem
Neem acts as a stimulant and a tonic to impart strength to the hair.

Oak Bark
Oat Bark helps treat dandruff, stimulates the scalp and stimulates hair growth.

Onion
Onion is rich in sulfur, it is a great herb for hair loss problems, bald spots or patches and for the stimulation of hair growth. Onion is also useful for treating dandruff and other scalp infections like dry or itchy scalp.

Paprika
Paprika is a spice made from the grinding of dried fruits of Capsicum annuum ( bell peppers or chili peppers). Paprika is a rich source of Vitamins E and C, it can also be used with henna to bring a reddish tint to hair when coloring it. Paprika powder can be added to henna powder when prepared at home.

Parsley
Parsley gives hair a nice luster and enriches hair color.

Peppermint
Peppermint stimulates the scalp by allowing increased blood flow to the hair follicles.

Plantain
Plantain is a weed commonly found in the wild (not to be confused with the fruit resembling banana). It contains an anti-inflammatory substance called allantoin. This stimulates the growth of new skin cells, kills germs, and speeds wound healing. It is a good scalp stimulant and used in many hair loss treatments.

Quassia Bark
Quassia bark it kills parasites, such as lice and makes a good hair rinse for dandruff.

Red Sandalwood
Sandalwood is moisturizing for hair, it is also said to loosen the curl patterns in curly hair and it helps with de-frizzing.

Rose
Rose is the most beautiful flower in the world.It strengthens hair roots, and protects against hair breakage with constant use.

Rosehips
Rose Hip is an emollient oil obtained from the seed pods of the rose plant,what remains after the petals fall off. Rosehip is good for brittle, damaged hair, or massaged into dry or flaking areas of the skin or scalp.

Rosemary
Rosemary is a super herb* and is excellent for all hair types and problems. This herb is a virtual fix- it, it acts as a tonic and conditioner, gives luster and body to hair, stimulates growth, helps with dandruff, and brings out dark highlights in the hair

Saffron
Saffron*moisturizes the scalp and stimulates hair growth

Sage
Sage is known as a hair colorant where it is traditionally used* to restore color to graying hair. However, it is great for weak, damaged hair and it gives hair shine.

Saw Palmetto
Saw Palmetto is a recurring herb in many hair loss or hair growth products, it is good for hair thinning, is a key factor in making hair appear thicker with more body.

Sea Kelp
Sea Kelp contains high amounts of iodine, this combined with vitamins and minerals makes it extremely nutritional, and may help to speed up hair growth due to the iodine’s affect on the thyroid gland.

Beamodel

Southernwood
Southernwood is reputed to stimulate and to speed up hair growth.

Spirulina
Spirulina is rich in protein it helps in the mainatainance of healthy, shiny and sleek hair.

Stinging Nettle
Stinging Nettle is rich in minerals and vitamins and contains a whopping 40% protein per ounce. It conditions hair, improves color and texture, helps with dandruff and irritated dry scalp and contains nutrients for hair growth. It is also used as a hair softener.

Thorn Apple
Thorn Apple,* is a toxic herb that has been shown to help regrow hair. Drinking fruit from the juice staves off hair loss, but high doses can cause irregular heartbeat and even coma.

Thyme
Thyme stimulates hair growth and works especially well with oily hair, it prevents dandruff because of its anti-fungal properties and it helps to stop mild hair loss.

Watercress
Watercress contains more sulphur than any other vegetable. Sulphur rich foods play an important part in protein absorption, blood purifying, cell building and in healthy hair and skin.Watercress can be used topically to treat dandruff and prevent hair loss, the best results are obtained by rubbing the scalp and the hair with a watercress tincture.

Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is known as a common skin astringent, however the leaves and bark are also used to cleanse oily hair.

Yarrow
Yarrow is used* to stimulate and* tone skin and scalp* and is also a good herb for*oily hair.

Yucca
Yucca is known as an ancient remedy among the Navajo Indians, it is said to prevent hair loss and to cure dandruff.

Beamodel

IDareT'sHair

Yes, That is exactly where I was about to go. I always get confused on which tea/herb does what and when I found this like I was like YESSSSSS LAWD

skyslady

Awesome! I had to copy this so that I can put into a notebook for a quick reference. Thank you!!!

oneastrocurlie

Waits for the basil and beet challenge. Hehehe j/k.

I didn't know Burdock root was good for shedding and growth.

Good info :)

PureSilver

I grew up on some of these plants my mom and sister used to make vegetable juice on a Sunday i now make many of these juices occasionally. Also i use the leaves of many of these plants to make tea. I'm glad i can find some of these in my backyard too and very cheap at the market.

Ogoma

Great list. I have been thinking of adding a tablespoon of Irish Moss to my monthly glosses. After reading this list, I will add a tablespoon of Burdock Root, Marshmallow Root, Arnica Tincture, and Fenugreek. I hope they don't overwhelm the Kalpi Tone.

McQuay30

Great list. I have been thinking of adding a tablespoon of Irish Moss to my monthly glosses. After reading this list, I will add a tablespoon of Burdock Root, Marshmallow Root, Arnica Tincture, and Fenugreek. I hope they don't overwhelm the Kalpi Tone.

Irish moss for what benefits?

Jadi

Good list. I need to get back to using my herbs. Have a whole cabinet full of them.:lol:
Oddly enough I was watching this yt video on herbs in Asian/Korean, but it was for beauty products. What I notice and like most Korean food they're not afraid to use their vegetables. I have to try Korean food.:lick:
Some things I got from the video was to try mung bean and some ginseng tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65T5JzTAdc0

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I found 25 Slippery Elm Tea Bags for $15.00. If anyone knows of any cheaper, please let me know. Thank You!

Man, I didn't realize it was that expensive.

*I don't want the Powder*

Hibiscus30

I found 25 Slippery Elm Tea Bags for $15.00. If anyone knows of any cheaper, please let me know. Thank You!

Man, I didn't realize it was that expensive.

*I don't want the Powder*

IDareT'sHair

What'cha talking 'bout! Lawd, I was shocked at the price of this!...Goodness!

But, ummm, yeah I saw it MountainRose 1lb for $19.00.

I just knew my beloved Swanson's would have it (they only have the powder)...Oh and Vitacost has 1lb for $45.00 :spinning:

So I rethought that!...I passed and settled for my marshmallow and fenugreek:grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Hibiscus30
I know! :thud:

Girl....I had no Idea Slippery Elm cost that much!:eek2:

I hate to pay $15.00 for some Tea Bags (only 25). :ohwell:

I may skip Slippery Elm too and just use my Naturelle Grow Slippery Elm DC'er and call it a day.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
IDareT'sHair if you buy it in bulk (not in tea bags) it's probably cheaper. I know I don't pay anywhere near that for mine and everything seems to be more expensive here.