List your Protein and Moisture Balancing routine

newbeginnings2010

I searched for a collective thread on everyone's way of balancing protein and moisture, but I was unable to find one. My DC (Silicon Mix) has a lot of protein (I think it's the third ingredient), and I was wondering if I need to alternate between that and my Aussie Moist. Would anyone mind listing the following for reference for everyone? Love you ladies and thanks in advance!:rosebud:

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)?

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc)

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc)

Anything specific you would like to mention:

JJamiah

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Relaxed
Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) Leave In - Aphogee Leave in, DC - NExxus Emergencee/APhogee 2 Step - Monthly/before relaxer, Regular Conditioner - APhogee 2 minute almost weekly

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) DC-SheScentit- Banana Brulee, Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturiizng Treatment, ORS Replenishing Pak (consider this Moisture because it moisturizes my hair to a point of uh oh, I combat that with Aphogee 2 minute after rinsing this out), Leave in - Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch LEave in, Regular Conditioner - Aussie 3 minute, Yes To carrots mud mask, & Nexxus Humectress

Anything specific you would like to mention: I don't really have a schedule for all per se, I just go by how my hair feels. I do a monthly Nexxus treatment, ORS replenishing pak and Aphogee 2 minute are my staples for keeping the balance. When one goes out of whack, My Aphogee 2 step will normalize my moisture issues and Silk Elements will normalize my protein issues :D

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Relaxed
Avocado oil, HB carrot oil, Aphogee 2 min.
All of these are used as DC's

Evco, Evoo, Renpure body and shine con. These are used as DC's.
I always mix my protein with my moisturizing cons when I need protein. Whenever I use protein alone it's hard to get my hair to recover. If I use an oil based protein I mix it with evco and evoo. Aphogee is usually mixed with Renpure.

I also go by how my hair feels. but I DC weekly.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

LadyPBC

great question - any naturals want to chime in? I thought that I read that naturals don't normally have a problem with protein.

nymane

I'm Relaxed and mine is simple:

I do Aphogee Two Step every 4-6 weeks and I Deep Condition weekly with Silicon Mix

My leave in is usually HE LTR (if I'm roller setting it's lacio lacio). So basically the hard protein and Dc'ing keep my balance in check I don't do anything extra.

Ronnieaj

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Natural

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc): Multiple, including Aphogee 2 min and 2-step, Nexxus Emergencee, Ouidad Deep Treatment

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc): Multiple again, like Hairveda Sitrinillah, Shescentit Banana Brulee, GVP Conditioning Balm

Anything specific you would like to mention: I use at least a balanced conditioner every week. When I first went natural, I stopped using protein because naturals aren't supposed to need as much. When I went through the period of mushy hair (NOT a good look :nono:), I learned that I need to do what's best for MY hair. My hair loves protein! It doesn't love co-washing. So I do the Aphogee 2-step every six weeks (I tried every 12 and it wasn't as effective--I started experiencing some mild breakage), and mix WGO and EVCO into the Aphogee 2 min every week. My hair is thriving with it, so be sure to do what's best for YOUR hair :yep:.

SimJam

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Natural

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc): Aphogee 2 min, lamour bone marrow, redken extreme anti-snap leave in

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc): Queen Helens cholesterol (with SAA and wheat germ oil), aussie moist, tresseme moisture

Anything specific you would like to mention: Even as a relaxed head i didint need much protein. I normally do moisture DCs but I've been making sure to throw in a light Protein every month since I coloured. I use the redken anti snap pretty regularly, atleast every 2 weeks.

PJaye

Natural

- ApHogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor (used once each week prior to DC’ing)
- Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (used once a month as a protein source during the DC process)

- Deep Conditioners: Mizani Moisturfuse, Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture, My Honey Child Honey Hair Mask

- Co-Washing Conditioners: Paul Mitchell the Conditioner, Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud, Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac

- Leave-in: Rusk Sensories Smoother (split into halves with water, oils, and SAA added to each half)

All of the following have greatly facilitated the continuance of the protein-moisture balance:
- The addition of several oils into every product used
- Frequent use of oils that contain ceramides
- Applying Roux Porosity Control as a final rinse despite the fact that it produces a rough sensation

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Relaxed (4a/b)

Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (Once a week, before shampoo and DC)
Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Reconstructor Spray (As needed, before rollersetting)
Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor (Once a week, before shampoo and DC)
Nexxus Emergencee (Once every three weeks, after shampoo but before DC)
Lacio Lacio Leave-In (Once a week, alternating)

Nexxus Humectress (DC, at least once a week)
Herbal Essence LTR Conditioner (used for quick co-wash after shampoo)
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (used for quick co-wash after shampoo)
Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner (used for quick co-wash after shampoo)
Herbal Essence LTR Leave-In (Once a week, alternating)

Noo.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Relaxed

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) - Aphogee 2min or 2step (protein conditioner)

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) - Lustrasilk shea mango butter (DC) and ORS replenishing pack (to me it's DC some view it being protein)

Anything specific you would like to mention: Weekly I mix aphogee 2min, lustrasilk, ORS and use aphogee 2step roughly every 6-8weeks-ish

seemegrow

I searched for a collective thread on everyone's way of balancing protein and moisture, but I was unable to find one. My DC (Silicon Mix) has a lot of protein (I think it's the third ingredient), and I was wondering if I need to alternate between that and my Aussie Moist. Would anyone mind listing the following for reference for everyone? Love you ladies and thanks in advance!:rosebud:

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? relaxed

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) leave in aphoghee leave in, aphoghee keratin and green tea, silicon mix pearl dc,profectiv breakfree on ends or mizani h20 intense on ends. every six weeks affirm 5n1, weekly protein aphoghee 2 minute reconstuctor

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc), qhemet alma oil and heavy cream, scurl- moistuizers, silicon mix regular dc, organix, ltr , trader joes refresh conditioners

i cowash twice a week and shampoo on the weekends.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Relaxed
Avocado oil, HB carrot oil, Aphogee 2 min.
All of these are used as DC's
Evco, Evoo, Renpure body and shine con. These are used as DC's.
I always mix my protein with my moisturizing cons when I need protein. Whenever I use protein alone it's hard to get my hair to recover. If I use an oil based protein I mix it with evco and evoo. Aphogee is usually mixed with Renpure.

I also go by how my hair feels. but I DC weekly.

Hope that helps!

To the underlined: what is your ratio mix?

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Transitioning!

Aphogee 2-Minute (once a week); Mane N Tail Original Conditioner (when I don't feel like using Aphogee, I use this one once a week)

HE LTR (Leave-In - moisturize/seal); Suave Humectant and Almond and Shea Butter condishes (regular conditioners 3x a week); Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment (DC once a week); Aloe Vera Juice (or gel)/Distilled Water/Glycerin mix (when the mood hits me)

So far, so good. I haven't had a problem with the balancing act.

Truth

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Au naturale

ORS hair mayo + 1 egg (DC) once a month
Paul Mitchell super strong treatment or Nexxus Keraphix OR vo5 split ends (reg condish) once a week
Infusium 23 Either the brown bottle when I can find it or the newer Repairology as a leave in.

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc
NTM deep recovery hair mask and Aussie 3 min (DC) 1-2xs a week
Aussie Moist,gariner fructis moisture works, tresseme moisture rich,vo5 strawberries n cream,AO white cameilla ( reg condish) daily cowasher
Scurl, wave nouveau ( the juice)
HE LTR , BED Head Split mender ..leave ins

I also have a lot of butters and other conditioners but I use them rarely this list is pretty much what stays in my arsenal.

yardgirl

Aphogee 2 Minute or ORS Hair Mayo followed up by Humecto or ORS Replenishing

I use ORS Replenishing by itself too but never Humecto by itself. *shrugs*

I'm not sure how much I like the Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla but I've only used it once so I'll see how it goes next time.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Relaxed or Natural (or transitioning)? Transitioning

Protein product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) Ultrasheen DuoTex

Moisture product name and type (leave-in, DC, regular conditioner, etc) Vo5, Lekair Cholesterol, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose

Anything specific you would like to mention: I haven't had to do a protein treatment since about April ever since incorporating ceramides (sunflower oil) that I seal with every time I wash. I occasionally use Lekair Cholesterol to keep the balance and the Vo5 has some protein in it. But I have not needed a hard protein treatment like Duotex. I'm gonna do my first protein treatment in 6 months this weekend.