Loc Extensions, Long-term Protective Style (7months) And Natural Hair (pics)

Gr8ness83

I haven't posted on here in the longest time. I just want to give an update on my long-term protective style, loc extensions. I have had them in since July 23rd, 2015 and I just took them out a few weeks ago. I got tremendous growth and had no damage to my hair. I retained 100% of my length because the ends were moisturized and wrapped up, the only hair I lost was to natural shedding, which, thanks to my itamins and oils, I had very little of. The only reason I was able to keep them in for so long is because I did them myself and I would redo the perimeter every couple of weeks, or as needed, and redo the interior of my hair as needed. Quite frankly, I LOVE them because they are sooo low maintenance. I work out a lot and had no issue with the sweaty smell building up. When I would take out sections of my hair, I would do an Aphogee treatment, DC, moisturize and seal and then put the new locs in. I cannot find a good pic of my hair to compare for a before so I wanted to post one now so you all can see where it is at now because I am getting ready to do another long stretch of loc extensions. The third pic is of my hair blow dried last week, I haven't done that in years, I was going to flat iron it but was scared about heat damage and it seemed like it would take too long, yes I was being lazy. lol The fourth picture is the following day when I washed my hair, I was nervous that it would not revert (can you tell that I have had bad experiences with heat?) Anyway, the 3 pics in the pink were taken the other day in a Starbucks bathroom as I was waiting on my sister to bring my son, the lighting was horrible and I look like I have no nose so please don't mind that, they are my favorite ecause it was my first successful wash and go and I was really feeling my hair... lol Let me know what you think. I will post pics of my finished loc extensions and most likely, I will post "starting lengths" for the front, back, sides and middle so I will know exactly how much it grew. My goal is to keep them in until at least January. I may extend the time as needed, I set a reminder inmy phine every weeks to keep me on track and keep me motivated. Let me know what you all think!

Attachments

• IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3977.JPG
    IMG_3977.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4083.JPG
    IMG_4083.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4085.JPG
    IMG_4085.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 243

Gr8ness83

I wish I could do my own. I want some really bad. I just refuse to pay some $300.

Your hair looks great!
Thanks! I feel the same way, so I learned to do them myself. You can do it!! I was going to get mine done in Dec 2014 and I had to stop the girl 1/2 way through, she was not doing a good job and I wasn't going to pay for crap service. I just watched videos until I felt comfortable enough to do it. My first attempt, I made them too small so there were too many and it was too heavy. Now, people always ask me to do their loc extensions.... They are, hands down, the best PS I've ever had....

Gr8ness83

Those look lovely!

Which YouTube videos did you watch to learn how to do them?
I will have to go look, I don't remember but it was around Dec 2014 that I watched it. I watch videos on installing loc extensions ever so often but I never really like the complete method. I don't like burning the shaft and ends and I don't like using nail glue to seal the ends.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 160

Aicer

I will have to go look, I don't remember but it was around Dec 2014 that I watched it. I watch videos on installing loc extensions ever so often but I never really like the complete method. I don't like burning the shaft and ends and I don't like using nail glue to seal the ends.

Pretty!
I like those better than the burnt ends. All the tutorials I watched were burnt ends. How did you do those?

Those remind of the ones Meagan Good had.

Gr8ness83

Pretty!
I like those better than the burnt ends. All the tutorials I watched were burnt ends. How did you do those?

Those remind of the ones Meagan Good had.

Thank you! I think the key to getting the ends like that is the proportion of the hair at the ends. There cannot be a lot of hair, it should be tapered somewhat at the ends and once you have a few inches left, you split it in 3, do a tiny braid, then taking a small piece from the 3 strands and wrapping it back up the shaft, leaving the rest of the hair out at the bottom. Also, I don't use the smooth, loose hair as the anchor braid (or twist, which is what I do). I use Marley hair and add the silky hair at the bottom, I had not had it done yet in the pic. I have been recording how I do it, I have to edit it and figure out where to upload it..... I hope that helped!

Gr8ness83

I installed the perimeter on April 14th, today is May 24th and the growth thus far is AWESOME! I haven't own just shy of an inch in that time. I believe I would've grown more if I could've continued to take my vitamins. I had to stop in preparation for medical treatment. I've increased my water intake in effort to try to promote hydration from within.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 89

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I'm about to install crochet braids but this will definitely be my next ps in July. If I can grow an inch a month from mid-July to end of December I'll be extremely thrilled.

Gr8ness83

Today is my 8-week faux loc mark and I have grown, and of course retained a little over an inch! I am ecstatic! I have 27 more weeks unti I take them out for good, I just started to redo the perimeter of my hair because I see how much it has grown and I do not want the loc to hang on the new growth and cause thinning. At this rate, I SHOULD grow about 6.75 inches by the time I take them out in December (27 more weeks / 4 week increments = 6.75) I have been okay (not great) at ilining my scalp, I stopped taking my vitamins due to medical issues, I will resume them as soon as I can. I do massage my scalp as often as I can, when I am just sitting watching tv, at work, in traffic, I will just gently massage my scalp... Also, I began drinking a TON of water, not overhydrating but I get at least my weight in oz. of water. IMG_4609.JPGFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg