Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Evolving78

I finished my hair!!
I must have like 200 locs! Lol I used 100 more and I was placing clips on 2-3 locs. I can’t get under the dryer, since I’m watching a lecture right now.

I removed 223 clips from my hair.. so I think I may have 260 or so locs..

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Please do a review! I was going to buy some more Nairobi foam wrap.
Will do. I used Nairobi foam when I was transitioning and as a loose natural for twistouts. I loved the results but I didn’t like the fact that it created a cast on my hair. I was afraid it would build up on my locs. Do you have buildup with Nairobi?

Evolving78

Will do. I used Nairobi foam when I was transitioning and as a loose natural for twistouts. I loved the results but I didn’t like the fact that it created a cast on my hair. I was afraid it would build up on my locs. Do you have buildup with Nairobi?
I was using it before I decided to loc, and it would give my little curls a hold, so yes it did create a cast. Since I use a loc gel to retwist, I would be ok using it.
The gel I loved was made by Qhemet Biologics and she doesn’t make it anymore. I think I will try to make a loc butter, or pomade, since I really loved Nubian kinks pomade, but I haven’t bought a product online in awhile.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa
We gotta make our own rose water now? Dis tew much! Lol
The product junkie in me and my wallet don’t get along anymore! I guess I’m cured? Lol

Girl somebody was cuttin up at the bss. She was saying the guy in charge of the hair got her f’ed up because some hair color didn’t match? Idk. I was like, “let me get out of here because my black life matters”. There were so many new product lines! And they have this mannequin head that has holes in it for drying! I am so out the loop. I’m like I can buy this for my interview wig! Lol

I got real tired when you started talking about you boys and retightening their hair. You are the real MVP. I get anxiety when I have to detangle my daughter’s hair..

They have a tint for loc lint? It’s another world out there I don’t know nothing about...

From what I have seen in some of the lock groups I'm in on FB, it's not that hard. I'm going to try it soon. You definitely don't "need" to be a product junkie anymore with locks. They are so low-maintenance that I am actually starting to get extremely irritated with all these different YouTubers making these videos about the products they use. Most of the time it just seems like a recycled video but the face of the person just changes. They're all generally the same products. :lachen:

Like girl tell me something useful or be quiet. But I love watching the style videos and other instructional type videos on how to correct things or how to take care of locks, like the detoxes, rinses, etc.

I definitely have my days when I think to myself what did I get myself into starting locks on both my boys and I have locks, too??? :lachen: But I definitely feel like it has been worth it.

And yes, girl...Loc Lint Tint! I got a friend request from them a while back on FB after I commented on one of my SL consultant's posts. Went to the page and saw what it was and accepted the request. I meant to tell you guys about it then, but I must have gotten sidetracked.

I'm going to put the link here in case y'all want to read more about it. I'm thinking I might need black for DS 1 and brown for DS 2. His hair is light in some places.

I wonder if they will expand and offer more colors for people who like to dye their hair.

https://www.loclinttint.com

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I finished my hair!!
I must have like 200 locs! Lol I used 100 more and I was placing clips on 2-3 locs. I can’t get under the dryer, since I’m watching a lecture right now.

I removed 223 clips from my hair.. so I think I may have 260 or so locs..

:eek::eek::eek:

I didn't know you had that many!!!!! I'm really curious to know how many DS 1 has, but he barely sits still for the things I need to do to his hair so I might have to just estimate...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Damaris.Elle

So, today I saw my hairdresser that's moving away. She has locs herself and has had them for about 3 years. She told me that she had started 4 people's locs in the past couple of months and showed me pictures. She even did a sample comb coil on me and that helped me to feel even more reassured because it didn't draw up nearly as much as I thought.

So now I'm wondering if I should just let her start my locs instead of this other loctician I found. She's been doing my hair for years. She would give me a better price too. The reason I didn't think about having her start them is because while she is a hairdresser, she's not a 'loctician'. Did any of you not go to a loctician to start your locs?

Evolving78

So, today I saw my hairdresser that's moving away. She has locs herself and has had them for about 3 years. She told me that she had started 4 people's locs in the past couple of months and showed me pictures. She even did a sample comb coil on me and that helped me to feel even more reassured because it didn't draw up nearly as much as I thought.

So now I'm wondering if I should just let her start my locs instead of this other loctician I found. She's been doing my hair for years. She would give me a better price too. The reason I didn't think about having her start them is because while she is a hairdresser, she's not a 'loctician'. Did any of you not go to a loctician to start your locs?
I usually start and maintain myself.
I have started them with finger coils, comb coils, and two strand twists.
I have a little head and my hair density ranges from low, medium, to high and I have fine hair, so I need a lot of small locs to cover my whole head. Oh and I always start with a TWA or shorter.

I think you should let her do it. Have you researched and decided on what size and parting method you prefer? I know you said you wanted to start with comb coils. And yes, your hair is going to shrink up going through the loc phases.
If you know how you want them, show her pics of the parting pattern you wanna start with and go from there. I don’t think you are going to have a huge problem with unraveling either, since your hair is long.

I don’t recall if you said you were gonna maintain them yourself? When is she moving?
I say go for it now! Just jump off the ledge! The sooner you get started the better! Your locs are going to be wonderful!
The size that BillBackers has, is that something you are interested in?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I wish I had found this thread before I loced. I think I would have been better able to tell the loctician what I wanted and what I didn’t. I’ve been so nervous about the thickness and the parting and the number of locs and just hoping it would all just work out. So far, so good but I’ve hated that uncertainty because I’ve had to wait so long to get here.

Evolving78

I wish I had found this thread before I loced. I think I would have been better able to tell the loctician what I wanted and what I didn’t. I’ve been so nervous about the thickness and the parting and the number of locs and just hoping it would all just work out. So far, so good but I’ve hated that uncertainty because I’ve had to wait so long to get here.
It is good to have some support through this journey! There is a lot of dos and don’t, and methods. Plus, there are still not a lot of women that are loc’ed.

Evolving78

I don’t have super clean parts this time around. I just don’t have the energy or the right mirror to use a rat tail comb to clean up each loc parting. Maybe next month, or beginning of the next year?
The color didn’t take well in the back.. i’ll Decide what I will do later. Red is a difficult color to get rid of.

Damaris.Elle

I usually start and maintain myself.
I have started them with finger coils, comb coils, and two strand twists.
I have a little head and my hair density ranges from low, medium, to high and I have fine hair, so I need a lot of small locs to cover my whole head. Oh and I always start with a TWA or shorter.

I think you should let her do it. Have you researched and decided on what size and parting method you prefer? I know you said you wanted to start with comb coils. And yes, your hair is going to shrink up going through the loc phases.
If you know how you want them, show her pics of the parting pattern you wanna start with and go from there. I don’t think you are going to have a huge problem with unraveling either, since your hair is long.

I don’t recall if you said you were gonna maintain them yourself? When is she moving?
I say go for it now! Just jump off the ledge! The sooner you get started the better! Your locs are going to be wonderful!
The size that BillBackers has, is that something you are interested in?

I've decided on the size of locs I want, but I'm still not quite sure about parting systems. I'm thinking diamond-shaped parts would be best for me. The crescent parting system sounds interesting, but I haven't been able to find a lot of pictures of locs using a crescent parting system.

I'm going to go to a loctician to maintain them at first, but I eventually want to maintain them myself. I think I will have her start them. I have an event coming up, so I got a new partial sew-in. But, this is the last weave I'm getting and then I'm starting my locs. She's moving early September, so I'll probably take a plunge at around that time. Yeah, the size that BillBackers has would be my ideal size.

Evolving78

I am going to work on promoting some fullness in the back of my crown. That area is what it is, but hey why not? I’m getting up there in age and want to keep that area as full as possible. I started taking a hsn vitamin, zinc, and beetroot. I take beetroot for various things anyway. I’m going to make sure I drink plenty of water, and lightly massage that area once or twice a week. I may get the wild growth oil in the yellow bottle. It is much lighter and doesn’t leave a build up. I don’t think the ingredients in that is harmful to me.
I might not retwist again until close to the end of next month, unless my hair is calling for it! I’ll just wash and separate as usual.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
A coworker started her loc journey last week and said I helped her make the decision. She stopped me in the bathroom and asked for some starter tips. I’m so excited for her. When I was at a previous job, a woman I had seen before but had never actually talked to walked up to me and told me that I had inspired her to stop wearing wigs to hide her hair. We were at about the same length and she said she thought “if I could do it, so could she”. I thought that was pretty cool. Influences all around us. I know I’ve been encouraged by seeing the beautiful loced and loose naturals around me.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Girl just for him to allow you to loc his hair is amazing! Does he shake his hair? Lol I love his hair from the pics you have shown!

Awwwwwwww thank you!!! Right??? He doesn't shake his hair. I don't think it's long enough yet. It's at the stage where it's starting to droop in the front and the top.

I shake my locks when I'm being silly with them while they're playing.

DS 2 seems to like shaking his head back and forth but I think it's mostly stimming. He's so smart though...when I tell them it's time for me to spray their hair he goes to the refrigerator, gets the spray bottle and brings it to me.

Then the other day after I washed my hair he was copying what I was doing when I was oiling my scalp. Then I will tell him he's so smart and I will do his hair next.

His hair always looks so juicy and healthy after I spray it and oil it.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

If you feel comfortable with her and you know 100% without a doubt that you want locks, I think you should go ahead and let her quote you a price and start them. Especially if you are happy with the way the test comb coil came out.

It doesn't really matter that she's not a loctician. What matters is that she knows how to perform the service that you want, which is comb coils. Once the foundation has been laid and set, your hair will do the rest.

If you plan to maintain them yourself, then it's also not important for you to find a loctician or wait until September for your appointment.

Lots of people just find someone to start their locks that are simply capable of doing the preferred method of choice for starting their locks. You can go to YouTube, FB, IG, Twitter, hell anyplace to find people who will tell you they started their own locks or had a friend or relative (that isn't a loctician) start them for them.

I said this in an earlier post, but they don't even particularly need to know that you want locks, because then that's when the price goes up.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Guinan

Re-Branding

I'm not sure if the lady that started my locs is a loctician or a hairdresser but I'm leaning more to that she is a hairdresser. She has never had locs. Either way she gave me what I thought I wanted. Below are my starter locs. I have since switched to a different loctician but would feel comfortable going back to the woman that started my locs.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
My sister called me this morning 10 minutes before the sitter was supposed to show up to say that the barber had to cancel. So no hair color for me today. :(:(:( And I was dressed and ready to go!

So I called the sitter to explain what happened, and I told her that I could still go out and run some errands for a couple hours just so she could get some hours and not waste a trip to me. She said she was already on the bridge when I called her. But then I never saw her!

So I tried calling her and she didn't pick up so I left her a message, then text her through the babysitting app I use just to have a paper trail in case I needed to prove my end of the conversation later on.

So anyway she text back and said she drove around trying to find my apartment complex and also walked around for a few minutes to try and find it but she couldn't. She tried calling me as well but it didn't go through, so she just went back home.

I told both the sitter and my sister that it's a sign. Nothing went right this morning but I will get my color when I'm supposed to. In the meantime I will keep waiting.

LoneStarGirl

I'm considering getting sisterlocks and wanted to know what the difference (in apperance) is between a reverse 4 and 4 rotation pattern. There isn't a whole lot of info out there, but based on what I've seen, 3 tends to be fluffier than a 4. The consultant I met with, wants to do a 3 or reverse 4 on my hair.
I'm in the military and will probably work a corporate position once im out, so would prefer a less frizzy pattern.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I'm considering getting sisterlocks and wanted to know what the difference (in apperance) is between a reverse 4 and 4 rotation pattern. There isn't a whole lot of info out there, but based on what I've seen, 3 tends to be fluffier than a 4. The consultant I met with, wants to do a 3 or reverse 4 on my hair.
I'm in the military and will probably work a corporate position once im out, so would prefer a less frizzy pattern.

Hello! My loctician started my SL with a reverse 4 but all my retires are a 4 rotation although she said I could do a 3. I think the frizz depends on your hair texture despite the rotation. I work in a corporate management position and I don’t have any issues. Getting SL was the best hair decision I made right after going natural. Do you have an install date yet?

LoneStarGirl

Hello! My loctician started my SL with a reverse 4 but all my retires are a 4 rotation although she said I could do a 3. I think the frizz depends on your hair texture despite the rotation. I work in a corporate management position and I don’t have any issues. Getting SL was the best hair decision I made right after going natural. Do you have an install date yet?

Yes, it's set for 13 Sep.
I think I'll switch to a 4 point rotation for my reties too. I'm really looking forward to getting them done, just not the time required for the install (3 days). How long have you had yours?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Yes, it's set for 13 Sep.
I think I'll switch to a 4 point rotation for my reties too. I'm really looking forward to getting them done, just not the time required for the install (3 days). How long have you had yours?
My install was 36 hours :look:. She’s just was not prepared for the amount of hair I had. I was not prepared for the number of locks I ended up with. I have about 550+. I am almost 18 months in. I never want to go back to loose natural hair.