Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Cheekychica

@Cheekychica and others, the bolded was my problem with the namebrand interlocking process. The Grid does not compliment everyone's face/taste.

I've always told my clients to take down the parts they don't like and I'll redo them..(not for free though). I infact did this to my Sisterlocks early on; I redid the crown in a staggered pattern, and was much happier because the results were way less scalpy.

The problem was that the parting she gave me looked almost free-form/random and I wanted more structure, more straight lines. I would have been happy with a grid! While she fixed the front so I had a middle part, that was the only straight line in my head. What if I want to do a side part? Anyway I just knew it would always bother me so I took them out.

I assumed a "loctician" would do a better job than me when it came to parting but clearly I was wrong. She doesn't have instagram so I couldn't look at past clients and I basically chose her because she started a guy friend's locs 10 years ago. I am kicking myself now lol.

Anyway new starter locs going in this evening! (#taketwo)

Cattypus1

All loced up...
The problem was that the parting she gave me looked almost free-form/random and I wanted more structure, more straight lines. I would have been happy with a grid! While she fixed the front so I had a middle part, that was the only straight line in my head. What if I want to do a side part? Anyway I just knew it would always bother me so I took them out.

I assumed a "loctician" would do a better job than me when it came to parting but clearly I was wrong. She doesn't have instagram so I couldn't look at past clients and I basically chose her because she started a guy friend's locs 10 years ago. I am kicking myself now lol.

Anyway new starter locs going in this evening! (#taketwo)
I have the same part problem. I almost wish I had done something earlier. I’m too far in now and I don’t want to turn around and start again. I don’t love my parts but I love my locs. Hope you love your locs.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@Arian , you’re so cute . You have such a dewy fresh face , oh and your locks are pretty too. :p

@Damaris.Elle , I believe that the saltwater does help when I was first installed I made a salt water mixture that I sprayed on my locks often and they matured in less than a year. Also that Dutch loctitian said that she swims in the ocean in her country regularly and that helps her hair to lock.

Opinions needed before I see My consultant on 8/10. I Was Looking at 1 of the Sisterlock Ladies I follow on YT last night. She’s been locked for 9 years and her locks are beautiful. She feels that if you get your locks retightened less than 10-12 weeks out that’s too much. My consultant has me on a every 6 weeks schedule. I had thought about this before being too much.

The woman I follow Tunisia Ali feels that retightening too often will eventually cause thinning but then I’ve read that not retightening regularly Like every 6 weeks can cause thinning.

I’ve always pre and post Sisterlocks had thick fast growing hair. I’m too old now to be trying to lose my hair.

My last appt was around the 1st week in June then my next appt was scheduled for July 13th. I got sick and had to cancel so she booked me for 8/10. I think she was a little miffed at me but I was really in a lot of pain. So that puts me at about 10-11 weeks.

Even though my locks marry at the roots and I’ve had a lot of new growth I’m not upset about that. I try to separate them and keep my locks in shape .

Opinions please!!

I think 8 weeks is a good time frame. My consultant also had me on that 6-week time frame and also at one point recommended I should get retightenings every 4 weeks instead due to all the issues with my hair. I thought that was too soon so I think we stayed with the same schedule but she would fix the locks that would come out in the front completely or slipped on a sooner schedule (just whenever I would call and tell her they came out).

I think as long as you stay on top of separating your roots and making sure none of your locks marry you will be fine. It can be tedious and time consuming when there's so many, and also easy to miss some.

Now with this set, I believe I may have also started out maintaining my locks every 6 weeks, then pushed it out to 8, then 10, then 12 and now 14 weeks.

Ultimately I just gaged my decision on what feels right, time/life circumstances (e.g. will I have time that particular week to focus on starting and finishing it, especially if there's lots of stuff I have to fix.) And if it felt too close together or I didn't have a considerable amount of new growth, I would just keep washing and separating.

But the more I go past my schedule, the more I don't mind. I think I am moving closer to only retightening a few times a year. I don't know if my hair can handle that, though. I would have to stay on top of separating and fixing the ones that are usually vulnerable and prone to coming out. I think that now that I have combined a lot of those ones along my hairline that definitely helped and put me more at ease.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
@Arian , you’re so cute . You have such a dewy fresh face , oh and your locks are pretty too. :p

@Damaris.Elle , I believe that the saltwater does help when I was first installed I made a salt water mixture that I sprayed on my locks often and they matured in less than a year. Also that Dutch loctitian said that she swims in the ocean in her country regularly and that helps her hair to lock.

Opinions needed before I see My consultant on 8/10. I Was Looking at 1 of the Sisterlock Ladies I follow on YT last night. She’s been locked for 9 years and her locks are beautiful. She feels that if you get your locks retightened less than 10-12 weeks out that’s too much. My consultant has me on a every 6 weeks schedule. I had thought about this before being too much.

The woman I follow Tunisia Ali feels that retightening too often will eventually cause thinning but then I’ve read that not retightening regularly Like every 6 weeks can cause thinning.

I’ve always pre and post Sisterlocks had thick fast growing hair. I’m too old now to be trying to lose my hair.

My last appt was around the 1st week in June then my next appt was scheduled for July 13th. I got sick and had to cancel so she booked me for 8/10. I think she was a little miffed at me but I was really in a lot of pain. So that puts me at about 10-11 weeks.

Even though my locks marry at the roots and I’ve had a lot of new growth I’m not upset about that. I try to separate them and keep my locks in shape .

Opinions please!!

Thank you, love.

mz.rae

@mz.rae

I finally got to read your post about what has you thinking about big chopping.

I feel your disappointment. You have valid reasons.

Was this person a certified Sisterlock consultant? If so I would consider reporting her to home office. She was totally out of line with the lateness and then bring 3 other people to your appt that you’re paying for!! No way!

Then in the midst of this pandemic no masks or safety measures. That’s totally unacceptable. Of course they were probably talking to each other so all those droplets in the air. I would have stopped her in her tracks from the beginning and said no. Some people are not taking this pandemic seriously but it’s no joke. My best friend contracted it had a fever for 4 days and within 2 weeks she passed away. We have to be diligent about our exposure. That consultant showed disrespect for you and herself.

I still feel you shouldn’t give up . Go to the directory and give another consultant a chance and see what she says she may change your mind. Also combining them may help so you can maintain your own if you can do that.

However, if you do big chop, I totally understand.

That was a bad experience you had. I can just feel my own unease or awkward feeling being put in that situation.
Sorry I’m so late responding back, I’m so sorry to hear about the passing of your best friend. And it’s so crazy how people aren’t taking the pandemic serious at all or are still thinking it’s a hoax. It’s very upsetting and I have been having to take breaks from social media here and there. And yes this consultation was a certified Sisterlock consultant, it’s funny because she just moved out of state a few weeks ago. I had a consultation with another consultant and I really liked the experience and vibe I got with her. She is also a licensed cosmetologist as well and likes to wash her clients which is something I was looking for. And she can also color hair as well which is something else I was interested in for the fall. I’m looking forward to my first retighten with her and to see how it goes.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Hi @msdeevee :wavey:

I retighten my locs every 6-7 weeks. My hair grows away from the loc and marry each other with the quickness. If not careful it make my grid a little wonky.

Since I am maintaining my locs myself right now I don’t think I can do more than 8 weeks of growth let alone 10-12 weeks.. I’m already spreading my retightenings over a 4-5 day period just so I can take my time. I think 7 weeks is my sweet spot. I try to stay close to that.

hope this helps.

Cheekychica

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
A few days only

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
Several reasons- I've always loved locs and I knew I wanted to have them someday. I am looking forward to a lower maintenance style that is all mine (not extensions or braids etc.). At 41, I feel it's time I started.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
Indefinitely

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
Traditional I believe (not sure what cultivated means)

5. What process did you use to start your locs?
She did 2 strand twist and interloc the roots

6. How do you maintain your locs?
Right now....I haven't done anything but I will be oiling my scalp with my JBCO. At this stage I'm being cautious and hands off.

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
Just going to oil my scalp for now when it needs it. I'll develop a routine as time goes on.

Edit- tried to upload pics but I keep getting error messages.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
A few days only

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
Several reasons- I've always loved locs and I knew I wanted to have them someday. I am looking forward to a lower maintenance style that is all mine (not extensions or braids etc.). At 41, I feel it's time I started.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
Indefinitely

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
Traditional I believe (not sure what cultivated means)

5. What process did you use to start your locs?
She did 2 strand twist and interloc the roots

6. How do you maintain your locs?
Right now....I haven't done anything but I will be oiling my scalp with my JBCO. At this stage I'm being cautious and hands off.

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
Just going to oil my scalp for now when it needs it. I'll develop a routine as time goes on.

Edit- tried to upload pics but I keep getting error messages.
If you have an iPhone, go to the image size and switch it to small and it should post.

Evolving78

I made it past a week without washing my hair...

I will be trying a new retwisting loc’ing product for my next retwist. I needed something with hold that won’t flake and add shine.

I’m trying to wait to retwist my hair by the end of the month. But I may retwist sooner when I wash my hair..
I’m still interested in a loc consultation to get a professional opinion.
Also, I’m going to try longer clips to cut down on the smaller ones since my hair is mature now.

I have some headbands that really give me the hold I need, but i want some that don’t have a satin finish. I want leather or something.
I am going to use a retwisting comb too. I use a rat tail comb, but I want to learn how to use the twist comb.

Last edited:

Transformer

I’m wondering how long I’m going to allow these locs to get. They are currently below the bottom of my bra and they are bothersome. Hubby stated he understands my irritation. I removed seven inches about a year ago. My current hairstyle is to keep it up in a pineapple. Not very chic.

Evolving78

I’m wondering how long I’m going to allow these locs to get. They are currently below the bottom of my bra and they are bothersome. Hubby stated he understands my irritation. I removed seven inches about a year ago. My current hairstyle is to keep it up in a pineapple. Not very chic.
Do you put them up in a twist style like a French Twist sometimes?
I don’t think I could handle locs beyond your length either.
I forgot, do you have sisterlocks or traditional?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

Ooh can we see??? Maybe a braided updo style would be a nice change? Or some color and a cut? How short would you go if you're considering a hair cut?

I have SisterLocks. I don’t take the time to experiment with fancy updos....just pull up into ponytail and then secure with second scrunchie.

How long have you had them?

Evolving78

I’m putting my loc tube sock thing on, or a scarf. Y’all know I’m going through it trying not to wash my hair. I’m not going to wait until the end of the month to retwist, I’m going to wash and retwist next week. I believe the product I have will give me a better hold in between wash/retwist.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I have been wondering the very same thing. I’m not there yet but sleeping is already annoying at just below shoulder length. I wonder how people do with these butt-length braids!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
How do you manage it? I’m having a the worst flare up I’ve ever had with locs and it’s really so annoying.

I feel like I work to manage it every day. I know dairy is a trigger so I start by managing my dairy intake on a daily basis. I also take a apple cider vinegar supplement daily. As for my scalp I wash the inflamed areas with neutragena t-gl once a week or as needed when I have a flare up. I follow up with a tea rinse made of sage, nettle and rosemary teas spiked with a bit of Aloe Vera juice, lavender and tea tree essential oils. I keep bit of this tea in a spray bottle in the fridge and spray my scalp only every few days. This is the only thing I put on my scalp. This regimen has greatly reduced the number of flare ups I’ve had.

Evolving78

I feel like I work to manage it every day. I know dairy is a trigger so I start by managing my dairy intake on a daily basis. I also take a apple cider vinegar supplement daily. As for my scalp I wash the inflamed areas with neutragena t-gl once a week or as needed when I have a flare up. I follow up with a tea rinse made of sage, nettle and rosemary teas spiked with a bit of Aloe Vera juice, lavender and tea tree essential oils. I keep bit of this tea in a spray bottle in the fridge and spray my scalp only every few days. This is the only thing I put on my scalp. This regimen has greatly reduced the number of flare ups I’ve had.
Have you had an allergy test done?
I have eczema (I don’t get it on my scalp)
But I started getting rashes and losing hair from using and consuming products made from tree nuts, specifically almonds. And Tea Tree oil makes my scalp sensitive and dries it out over time.

Evolving78

I have been wondering the very same thing. I’m not there yet but sleeping is already annoying at just below shoulder length. I wonder how people do with these butt-length braids!
Long hair problems! Lol I’ll be there one day! I combed out a lot to combine it with another and my hair is right under my collarbone. If I were to comb these locs out, I would have some length going on again!

Evolving78

I couldn’t take it anymore and washed my hair last night. I had a product junkie moment and used Neutrogena Clarify & Shine shampoo. I used a creamier conditioner and didn’t remove all of it out of my locs, so I had to shampoo my hair again. I’ll stick to the lighter conditioner and leave-ins.
My stated to get fine bumps on my face and behind my ears, so I knew it was time to wash my hair.