Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I figured out that the issues I am having with my locs is called bunching. It can go one of two ways: they may eventually straighten themselves out or they will lead to bumpy locs. :-(

I am not sure how I feel about this.

How far down is the bunching? Is it near your roots or the ends? Also is it all over or just in one place?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm taking the retightening class in August. My schedule this month sucks so I'll be at 9.5 weeks by the time I get to the class. I hate having to depend on somebody else for my retis so I can't wait to get this out of the way.
I'm almost at 11 months
Without flash

With flash

LavenderMint

@MeaWea

Beautiful Locs Sis!!! Do you dye them black? If so, what do you use?

Thank you, @CocoGlow! I dyed them black maybe six or seven years ago but only the bottom half to cover a faded brown. I didn't really pay attention to what she used but I think it was Bigen...? It washed out within two months though, staining EVERYTHING and my ends were brown again.
I would try Shea Moisture if I were to dye again.
HTH

CocoGlow

Thank you, @CocoGlow! I dyed them black maybe six or seven years ago but only the bottom half to cover a faded brown. I didn't really pay attention to what she used but I think it was Bigen...? It washed out within two months though, staining EVERYTHING and my ends were brown again.
I would try Shea Moisture if I were to dye again.
HTH

@MeaWea
Thanks! In the pics your hair looks jet black lol, it could be the lighting. I'm seeing from various people that Shea Moisture is nice (does not smell bad and does not dry out the hair) but it tends to fade too - not as bad as the Bigen you mentioned where it stains everything, but it seems to fade over time. I purchased a box of Naturtint which seems to get a lot of great reviews so I will see how well it works soon.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
View attachment 325261

Ok. A lot of my twists are starting to look like this. This can't be normal, right?

@Foxglove, they are doing it in the middle. I quoted my original post about the problem, so you can see what I'm referring to...it just irks me. :wallbash:

But I don't want to take any of them down because most of them have already closed on the end.

BTW, your hair is so beautiful!

Last edited:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I am having this same issue. I started from 2 strand twists last November and I have lots that look like this.

I have been following this thread for sometime now meaning to post and answer the questions. I just wasn't sure I would make it to tell the truth. So far so good though.

@PrincessKia, I found that our issue is called "bunching." Not a whole lot of information about it, but I found this link...

http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com/2008/04/fixing-bunched-and-bumpy-locks.html

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Forgot to check in-- 7 months in on July 2nd! I SO wish I had done this sooner, but waiting until 30 makes it even more special.

Sidenote: I have inspired almost every woman in my family to go natural (still have two aunts that I am working on), and now that they are all loose naturals, I will be the only one loc'd. I wonder if my loc journey will inspire them... hmmmm...

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
@Arian Thanks! I forget, was it you that changed from interlocking to palm rolling? I know you changed locticians too. Does the bunching look like it's around one of these transitions?

Platinum

Checking in. I'm really enjoying the loc'd life. I could kick myself for not doing this earlier. My regimen is so simple and I don't spend nearly as much money on products as I did before I loc'd. I haven't interlocked in about 2 months and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do it this or weekend or next.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
This month's retwist has not lasted long at all. After a week, it seemed like my roots had grown in really quickly. Oh well...I have just thrown on a headband and kept it moving.

My scalp itches like crazy and my hair smells like synthetic hair. I need a loc refresher recommendation.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
This morning, I decided to give myself a little haircut. Those strings of hair that look super straight and ridiculous. I cut those mugs...

At this point in the loc journey, I feel myself weakening emotionally and mentally (with life stuff) and it is affecting the way I feel about my hair. Yesterday, I even questioned why I was going through this when I could slick my hair into a puff. But...I quickly regained my composure and decided I just needed to tidy up my loc babies a bit.

Looking forward to Month 8 in a week or so...

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
This morning, I decided to give myself a little haircut. Those strings of hair that look super straight and ridiculous. I cut those mugs...

At this point in the loc journey, I feel myself weakening emotionally and mentally (with life stuff) and it is affecting the way I feel about my hair. Yesterday, I even questioned why I was going through this when I could slick my hair into a puff. But...I quickly regained my composure and decided I just needed to tidy up my loc babies a bit.

Looking forward to Month 8 in a week or so...

You can do it. Maybe try something new like a rod set or an updo and see if the new style will get you more excited about your hair

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
You can do it. Maybe try something new like a rod set or an updo and see if the new style will get you more excited about your hair

Thanks for the encouragement, hun! I think I want to try a braid out. I wore a ponytail yesterday and slept on it last night. This morning when I got up to do my hair, it had some nice waves to it (I'm guessing from the ponytail holder). I'll have to take a pic and upload it.

dicapr

Do any of you ladies bring your own oils with you to the loctician? My scalp has been irritated since my appointment Tuesday. It started itching almost immediately after she sprayed my braids with her oil mix. I finally broke down and rinsed my hair out this morning and had instant relief. I'm not sure if I should bring my own oils or just ask her to not add oil to my hair at my next appointment.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I forgot to do my 11 month update. The smaller ones up front are looking more mature and look like they are starting to condense a little. The larger ones in the middle I think have been pretty much fully locked for months now. I hope they don't swell too much.
I'm still bundling and braiding for now and I'm trying some new products- Trader Joe's nourish spa shampoo which I heard was a duplicate of the sisterlocks shampoo and Oyin Juices and Berries. I still use Shea Moisture hold and shine moisture mist as a spritz every few days
I'm definitely due for a reti but I'm taking the retightening course in 2 weeks and we're supposed to come with at least 1 month's worth of NG so I'll be way overdue by then
That's it for now

Without flash

With flash

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Do any of you ladies bring your own oils with you to the loctician? My scalp has been irritated since my appointment Tuesday. It started itching almost immediately after she sprayed my braids with her oil mix. I finally broke down and rinsed my hair out this morning and had instant relief. I'm not sure if I should bring my own oils or just ask her to not add oil to my hair at my next appointment.

You could do either. Just tell her your scalp is a little sensitive and reacts easily so would she mind using your oil mix or not using any at all