Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

imaginary

Sooo...

I know it's because I'm in my feelings, cause this week was like :spank: but I kinda wanna take my locs down and wait until my hair gets longer, then put them back in. My face looks huge, my hair length is not complimentary, and I'm tired of wearing headband, wraps and stuff. Maybe I should put a style over them.

I mean I agree with maybe adding loc extensions or braids or faux locs over them to ease into it for a few months. Whatever makes you feel comfy tbh.

I'm mad late but my locks turned 4 years old last month. I didn't really do anything special to celebrate. Thought about doing two strand twists that I could convert to a twist out but after thinking about execution after wash day I said nah...:lachen:

I do wanna do it one day though. And it's time for some new color for spring as well.

I wanted to ask...those of you who do twists and twist outs, do you use some type of setting lotion/mousse for definition and hold or just plain water/twisting on damp hair?
I do flat twist-outs and I mainly use water or my tea sprays. Mousse only gave me an itchy scalp that I could tell, but maybe I wasn't using a good mousse haha

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hey y’all. I have been demoted to lurk status. A medical treatment has caused me to lose my hair. Never fear, it will grow back. I cut my locs off when they were hanging by a thread. I saved them so maybe I’ll reattach them once my hair grows back. Anyway, I still love to see locs and all the progress y’all are making so keep the pics coming.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Starting on my retie in bits and pieces. I've been using my fingers to retie because I can't put them down and lose them. Of course that means it's not as snug lol.
Also decided to not interloc from ends to roots. I'm just gonna go with the flow. If I feel like converting the braids to twists, that's fine but if I don't, that's fine too. In a year or so, if I don't like them I'll just take them down and redo them.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Hey y’all. I have been demoted to lurk status. A medical treatment has caused me to lose my hair. Never fear, it will grow back. I cut my locs off when they were hanging by a thread. I saved them so maybe I’ll reattach them once my hair grows back. Anyway, I still love to see locs and all the progress y’all are making so keep the pics coming.
:bighug:
You'll come back better than before.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I know y'all probably tired of hearing me complain, and I am too lmao, but the more I go through my hair, the more I wish I would have started my own locs. Can you believe I STILL have straight hair at the ends after I cut what I thought was all the straight ends off? Plus my hair is so many different lengths that I kinda want to just take my hair down to get a trim, then loc it back up. This when I tell myself "Lay down, Lucky" and I'll be like "jokes on you, I'm already laying down."

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
How is everyone doing? It's been a while since I've checked in. I'm dealing with some serious dryness lately, I don't know why. I'm going to try to do a DC this weekend.
I'm still existing on this mortal plane lol Do you think it could be the air or water that's causing the dryness?

Platinum

I'm still existing on this mortal plane lol Do you think it could be the air or water that's causing the dryness?

I'm not sure. It may be something that my loctitian uses. I know that I had some breakage a while back but I think it may have came from the rubber bands that she used for the styles. I'm thinking about getting some lab work done. A fitness coach suggested that I should get this done. I'm almost 50 now so we need to see if I'm having any vitamin deficiencies or possibly hormones (menopause,?)

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I'm not sure. It may be something that my loctitian uses. I know that I had some breakage a while back but I think it may have came from the rubber bands that she used for the styles. I'm thinking about getting some lab work done. A fitness coach suggested that I should get this done. I'm almost 50 now so we need to see if I'm having any vitamin deficiencies or possibly hormones (menopause,?)
The lab work sounds like a good idea. Sometimes we're deficient in minerals we don't even think about lol.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hey ladies! I have been MIA for a while but I am still here. This month makes 4 1/2 years locked for me, and I believe DS 2 is a little over 4 years locked as well.

I fell off of our regular maintenance schedule hard, but recently retightned his last month, I believe and just finished mine on Monday. Still takes me 3 days to do it. I might have to be good with that.

I also hadn't retightened mine in 8 months but I was also fine with that as well. I actually may just be a semi freeformer now. I'm already thinking about the new retightening "schedule", which would put me at the end of May.

The only concerns I have are about roots and the locks that are smaller than others in diameter, so I will have to make sure I monitor those closely and retighten those as needed to make sure I don't lose them. I may just combine again, but maybe not my whole head. I go back and forth on wanting to do that.

But I will say this...I do like doing my twist outs, so I might not combine all of my locks just for that reason.

I am also going to do some color in the next couple weeks maybe. I should have done it before my retightening to kill two birds with one stone but I wanted to address the retightening first and make any necessary repairs. So I decided not to this time.

I will come back and post pics later on.

I'm glad everyone is doing well and doing what is necessary for the health of their beautiful heads of hair.

Be back soon to update with pics. Love you ladies!

Platinum

It looks good! I have yet to try these. How long did this style last for you?

Thank you! I actually kept the pipe cleaners in for about 2 weeks. I removed them the afternoon before the event and the curls lasted about a week and a half. The curls started to “fall” after that.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hey y’all I haven’t posted in a minute but I’ve been paying attention to some beautiful locs. Here are a couple of pics just to show you where I’ve been and where I am on this journey. First pic is one of the last pics right before I cut them off in April 2022. I was 3 & 1/2 years loced:B46F2470-324D-47DD-89FF-84A4CA80F03F.jpeg
Here they are after my big chop (so sad to see them go):
BFBE626E-7CFE-4822-AF94-40AC87685818.jpeg
Here I am today, starting over. It’s gonna be a minute:
F2039E57-6F5F-4A08-A6FF-ADBA1AE85E2B.jpeg

Platinum

Hey y’all I haven’t posted in a minute but I’ve been paying attention to some beautiful locs. Here are a couple of pics just to show you where I’ve been and where I am on this journey. First pic is one of the last pics right before I cut them off in April 2022. I was 3 & 1/2 years loced:View attachment 484407
Here they are after my big chop (so sad to see them go):
View attachment 484411
Here I am today, starting over. It’s gonna be a minute:
View attachment 484409

Wow! You are so beautiful!! Both styles look great on you!