Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Thank you.
I would love to have my 3+ years of loc growth back and I would love to think I have the patience to get through the doing-what-it-wants-to-do stage of locs but chemo really changed my hair texture and density. It’s very fine and very straight. It’s baby hair for real……locing this hair is going to be a totally different experience. We’ll see if it grows up.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I’ve been going back and forth about what to do when I turn 40 next year. I decided to transition/stop getting retis and hopefully chop at or close to my birthday. I’m sure I’ll look crazy in the interim but I want enough hair to do something with. My locs will be ~9y 4mos and I’ll have just over a year of new growth if I stick to the schedule
As it is here is a recent shot
AF990DC1-CA1F-41EC-A23C-552135D757C6.jpeg

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I’ve been going back and forth about what to do when I turn 40 next year. I decided to transition/stop getting retis and hopefully chop at or close to my birthday. I’m sure I’ll look crazy in the interim but I want enough hair to do something with. My locs will be ~9y 4mos and I’ll have just over a year of new growth if I stick to the schedule
As it is here is a recent shot
View attachment 484693
What are you going to do with your locks once you cut them? Has it been hard keeping them separated during your transition so they don't marry?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
What are you going to do with your locks once you cut them? Has it been hard keeping them separated during your transition so they don't marry?
I’m not sure what to do with them. I’ll probably keep them buried in the closet or something lol
I’ve gotten in the habit of separating them during any down time so I’m not having too hard of a time yet

CoiledOrchids

I think I wanna loc my hair but i'm scared. I've been a loose natural since 2013 and i'm sick of braids and twists and detangling my hair. I'm tired of sitting for 5+ hours getting protective styles i know i'll get sick of. Not sure what to do but I know I just want low maintenance. I wanna be able to get up and go without constantly worrying about how my hair looks. Also being able to save money would be a huge bonus.

Any Advice is needed...thank you!

CoiledOrchids

update: just made my consultation appointment with a loctician for february 3rd at 10am!. I'm gonna make it into a self care day and take off from work...maybe do something i'll enjoy. I've restarted journaling as well.

I'm making beef stir fry for dinner and will do a salted caramel apple crisp for dessert. I've been doing great as I finish up my january no-buy. I've also been saving money cooking my lunches and dinners and sticking to a budget.

Evolving78

I think I wanna loc my hair but i'm scared. I've been a loose natural since 2013 and i'm sick of braids and twists and detangling my hair. I'm tired of sitting for 5+ hours getting protective styles i know i'll get sick of. Not sure what to do but I know I just want low maintenance. I wanna be able to get up and go without constantly worrying about how my hair looks. Also being able to save money would be a huge bonus.

Any Advice is needed...thank you!
I think locs would be perfect for you!

CoiledOrchids

@Evolving78
thank you! i've made my appointment for a consultation so i'll be taking a much needed day off of work to go and do that. I think sisterlocs are pretty but they are too small for me. I love the look of braidlocs. I think i'll just see what the loctician suggests for me to do.

Otherwise, this weekend i'm planning on decluttering my clothes. I have too much winter clothes that i don't even wear on a regular basis. I have about 5 more boxes of books to donate as well

CoiledOrchids

just had my consultation. Everything looks good and I set up my appointment to get my starter locs done on feb 15th at 9.
She told me I could start my locs with coils but I told her I wanted two strand twists..like small to medium pencil sized. Not too big or too small and I showed her pictures.

In about 2 weeks, all this hair will be loc'd!

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
just had my consultation. Everything looks good and I set up my appointment to get my starter locs done on feb 15th at 9.
She told me I could start my locs with coils but I told her I wanted two strand twists..like small to medium pencil sized. Not too big or too small and I showed her pictures.

In about 2 weeks, all this hair will be loc'd!

Congrats on your decision!

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hey everyone! I've been away for awhile. Still locked. Now 3yrs still enjoying the journey both physically & spiritually. I love the progress of the growth that I have experienced. My locs definitely have helped center me.

The darker color locs are from when I started them

Attachments

• 20221231_175050.jpg
    20221231_175050.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230107_121610.jpg
    20230107_121610.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230204_165327.jpg
    20230204_165327.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221217_191642.jpg
    20221217_191642.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221217_190724.jpg
    20221217_190724.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20
  • GridArt_20221011_110336497.jpg
    GridArt_20221011_110336497.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221217_190650.jpg
    20221217_190650.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 20

CoiledOrchids

@shortycocoa

here's the update: I went for my appointment at 9 and the loctician did not arrive to the shop until 11:45. I had just pulled off when she texted me that she had to go to a funeral for one of her family members. I was pissed. I stood outside waiting on her for hours. I didn't end up paying her.I got to the shop super early too, a little after 8 am. I took off work for this smh I planned ahead and even scheduled this online. She didn't even call me to say she'd be late.
I left, went out to lunch and got cheesecake factory for dessert before heading home.

I ended up booking an appointment with another place for next saturday afternoon. Hopefully they won't flake out on me. It'll still cost the same--$95 but what that girl did today was such BS. It was my first and last time going with her. She lost a customer.

*****she ended up calling me at 11:41 to say she was on her way but I had just got in my car and left*****

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa

here's the update: I went for my appointment at 9 and the loctician did not arrive to the shop until 11:45. I had just pulled off when she texted me that she had to go to a funeral for one of her family members. I was pissed. I stood outside waiting on her for hours. I didn't end up paying her.I got to the shop super early too, a little after 8 am. I took off work for this smh I planned ahead and even scheduled this online. She didn't even call me to say she'd be late.
I left, went out to lunch and got cheesecake factory for dessert before heading home.

I ended up booking an appointment with another place for next saturday afternoon. Hopefully they won't flake out on me. It'll still cost the same--$95 but what that girl did today was such BS. It was my first and last time going with her. She lost a customer.

*****she ended up calling me at 11:41 to say she was on her way but I had just got in my car and left*****
Wow....seriously? That is so unprofessional and disrespectful. I'm sorry that happened. At least you were able to turn things around and still treat yourself to a day out. ***hugs***

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
This saturday is the big day!!!!! I hope this all goes well and i'm not disappointed like last time.

i go in for my loc consultation friday morning at 11.

I'll keep the updates going
Yay!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope everything goes well with your consultation. What kept you from starting them yourself, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious.

CoiledOrchids

@shortycocoa
truthfully, i'm not good at doing my own hair. I'm not good at twisting or braiding and i lowkey can't stand the thought of twisting my head and having some come out too big or too small and then figuring out the whole thing with parting. I'd just rather save myself the stress and just pay someone to start them for me.

This way, I can at least have one less thing to worry about.

Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow and saturday

CoiledOrchids

Consultation went great! The loctician said I should start with two strand twists instead of coils since my hair is so long. She said if I got coils, they would unravel and cause a lot of snagging. She also said I should get a trim beforehand so I plan to just pay her extra tomorrow for a good trim. I showed her what size I wanted and she had me pick my size from her swatch. I showed her lots of pics of my preferred sizing. She said she'll write down the products I would need after she twists my hair and to make sure I sleep with a bonnet or a scarf at night. She said loc maintenance is super simple and to not overload with products so I don't get buildup and lint in my starter locs. Overall, I was pleased with the service and very thankful things didn't go all the way left.

She said she'll wash and condition my hair tomorrow and to make sure I take my final pics being a loose natural.

I'm all set for tomorrow afternoon so i'll post pics then!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Consultation went great! The loctician said I should start with two strand twists instead of coils since my hair is so long. She said if I got coils, they would unravel and cause a lot of snagging. She also said I should get a trim beforehand so I plan to just pay her extra tomorrow for a good trim. I showed her what size I wanted and she had me pick my size from her swatch. I showed her lots of pics of my preferred sizing. She said she'll write down the products I would need after she twists my hair and to make sure I sleep with a bonnet or a scarf at night. She said loc maintenance is super simple and to not overload with products so I don't get buildup and lint in my starter locs. Overall, I was pleased with the service and very thankful things didn't go all the way left.

She said she'll wash and condition my hair tomorrow and to make sure I take my final pics being a loose natural.

I'm all set for tomorrow afternoon so i'll post pics then!
Glad it went well! It definitely sounds like this was a much better experience and you're ready to go. She seems very thorough. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics tomorrow. Enjoy your appointment!

CoiledOrchids

I have decided against color for right now. I wanna wait until I get further along into my loc journey before I revisit the idea of color. I do, however love the idea of really subtle, natural highlights.

the price did increase to $125 for my starters plus i'm gonna get a trim too which is an extra $15 but i'm okay with that. Retwists are $65