Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

CoiledOrchids

I have officially joined #LocNation!

I decided to go a size smaller but I'm loving them. I go back in 4 weeks on march 23.
My loctician told me to just use oil sheen and to wear a loc sock at night. I'm also getting my first style next month!

I tried to post pics but i'm having trouble. Is there an app i can use to resize my pics? I have an android

Last edited:

CoiledOrchids

here's some pics of my starter locs installed 2/25/2023

My new routine for my starter locs:
spray nightly with oil sheen and put on my loc sock, then put my bonnet on top. My loctician said I shouldn't get them wet. She'll be maintaining them for me. I got back on 3/23 for a retwist and style.

I did go smaller than I originally planned after I saw how big my locs would have eventually gotten. I'm in love with my new look!

Attachments

• Resize_20230226_075054_4044.jpg
    Resize_20230226_075054_4044.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 36
  • Resize_20230226_075052_2740.jpg
    Resize_20230226_075052_2740.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Resize_20230226_075051_1381.jpg
    Resize_20230226_075051_1381.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Resize_20230226_075050_0064.jpg
    Resize_20230226_075050_0064.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Cheekychica

spray nightly with oil sheen and put on my loc sock, then put my bonnet on top. My loctician said I shouldn't get them wet. She'll be maintaining them for me. I got back on 3/23 for a retwist and style.

I did go smaller than I originally planned after I saw how big my locs would have eventually gotten. I'm in love with my new look!
Your hair is gorgeous! :love: It's going to loc up so beautifully!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

Your hair looks so good! These locks are gonna be BOMB!!! I am so excited for you and your metamorphosis! Welcome to #locnation! You are in great company. Take lots of pics and enjoy your journey.

Tae@

Good Morning
I live in Philadelphia Pa and would like to get two strand twist and get them loc. Can someone help me with information with someone that has a good reputation? If Im not wording this right PLEASE give me some help.
Thanks, in advance.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Good Morning
I live in Philadelphia Pa and would like to get two strand twist and get them loc. Can someone help me with information with someone that has a good reputation? If Im not wording this right PLEASE give me some help.
Thanks, in advance.
While you're waiting on recs from.the ladies here, I would say start with a Google search for locticians near you and see what comes up. Read/check reviews. Also, look on apps/booking sites for locticians such as style seat, etc.

You can also ask in Facebook groups for people with locks, as well as on IG.

Lastly, if you see someone with a beautiful head of locks ask them who does their hair or if they know someone they can refer you to.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Still growing my hair out and planning on chopping on my 40th. This summer makes 9 years locked. I feel like I have a mini fro under my locks but thanks to shrinkage it doesn’t look so bad?? My grays are out of control though and I plan to dye my hair when I cut. I also realized I reached one bucket list item which is growing my hair long enough for me to stretch my entire arm out. Here are some update/transition progress pics
26B6D9C4-3DB7-4161-B358-BA6E4845A337.jpeg
1DB0BFC2-2D45-4D46-9E19-B357F399CEE5.jpeg7EB54EA4-2A70-4CB5-BAEE-95DFE0BAEEFD.jpeg

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
Still growing my hair out and planning on chopping on my 40th. This summer makes 9 years locked. I feel like I have a mini fro under my locks but thanks to shrinkage it doesn’t look so bad?? My grays are out of control though and I plan to dye my hair when I cut. I also realized I reached one bucket list item which is growing my hair long enough for me to stretch my entire arm out. Here are some update/transition progress pics
View attachment 488713
View attachment 488715View attachment 488717
Wow!! Are you keeping the locs ? Forgive me if you’ve already mentioned this.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
View attachment 488713
View attachment 488715View attachment 488717
Your hair is beautifully amazing!

CoiledOrchids

getting my hair retwisted next Friday! my first retwist! I had to reschedule it after I accidentally missed my original appointment last month. Almost 2 months loc'd

I have tons of new growth and I'm still using my ors oil sheen spray. I can't wait to get my hair washed and styled.

I'm taking that day off and making it into a self care day. i wanna go and do something different.

CoiledOrchids

hey yall.
when can I oil my scalp? my scalp gets so dry and itchy in between my retwist appointments. I know my loctician told me only use oil sheen spray but my scalp is soo itchy. I can't take it.

I will be 3 months locd next week. my hair is growing like a weed and nothing has unraveled.

I go this Friday for my retwist and I'm excited. will be getting another style.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
hey yall.
when can I oil my scalp? my scalp gets so dry and itchy in between my retwist appointments. I know my loctician told me only use oil sheen spray but my scalp is soo itchy. I can't take it.

I will be 3 months locd next week. my hair is growing like a weed and nothing has unraveled.

I think your scalp doesn't like the oil sheen. Have you tried rose water, or aloe vera juice diluted with water?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
hey yall.

I would go with rosewater or as I am JBCO water instead of the oil sheen spray. The oil sheen spray I don't think is meant to be used on your scalp

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
hey yall.

If nothing has unraveled and you're 3 months in and have been washing your hair regularly without any problems, it's probably fine to oil your scalp. I would moisturize first with water then seal with oil.

Going forward, a spray bottle filled with water and some essential oils may be helpful. Or a liquid leave-in conditioner.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I think I want to try this...I haven't seen any of her content in a while or kept up with how her locks have been progressing the way that I used to. But when I got the notification earlier and saw her hair I had to look. I think the color came out nice and I like how she did it when she realized she was running out of product.

Evolving78

hey yall.

I used to use light oil sprays. They come in a pump. I would use them once or twice a week and they didn’t cause buildup. I also was a frequent washer.

CoiledOrchids

I sprayed my hair with water this morning before oiling my scalp with evoo.

yesterday I watched a video on how to make rosewater. so instead of ordering from Amazon, I can just DIY.

I'm still using up my castor oil, which is my favorite oil. I also have avocado oil