Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Platinum

What is in this Aloe spritz? And is Aloe Juice considered a loc tightener?

@Arian I just use 100% pure Aloe Vera juice, water, and a few drops of Peppermint oil in a spray bottle. I use it as a leave-in Condish on wash days.

When you ask about a loc tightener, are you looking for something to speed up the loc'ing process?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
@Arian I just use 100% pure Aloe Vera juice, water, and a few drops of Peppermint oil in a spray bottle. I use it as a leave-in Condish on wash days.

When you ask about a loc tightener, are you looking for something to speed up the loc'ing process?

Yes. I have read about them and was wondering if aloe juice was a natural option.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I've heard sea salt can speed up the locking process. Let me see what I found in the past

Thanks! I read that too. I was wondering if sea salt would be too drying, though. Having it be detrimental to my budding locs would be punishment for lack of patience. Unfortunately, my hair is finer than I originally thought, and is locking...slowly. For 8 months in (today!), just seems like I would be making more progress than 1 or 2 loc'd ends. When my friends drop by later, I will have them take a few photos of my babies and post them here.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Thanks! I read that too. I was wondering if sea salt would be too drying, though. Having it be detrimental to my budding locs would be punishment for lack of patience. Unfortunately, my hair is finer than I originally thought, and is locking...slowly. For 8 months in (today!), just seems like I would be making more progress than 1 or 2 loc'd ends. When my friends drop by later, I will have them take a few photos of my babies and post them here.

I was worried about that too which is why I haven't done it but from the pics I saw it definitely works

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

I don't think you should compare your progress to others. Your hair will lock when it's ready, just try not to use products that are softening
The sisterlocks starter shampoo is supposed to help speed up the locking process but I can't justify spending $11-$12 for shampoo

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Hey ladies! * waves enthusiastically*
I'm doing my first re-tighten and I'm seriously dragging my ass. I'm interlocking (with my fingers, I can't get with using a latchhook or hair pin) because that seems to be the easiest way for me. Maybe I'll try the nappylocs tool in the future, but I think every other re-tighten I'll find some one to do it here in Chicago. Any suggestions ladies?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Hey ladies! * waves enthusiastically*
I'm doing my first re-tighten and I'm seriously dragging my ass. I'm interlocking (with my fingers, I can't get with using a latchhook or hair pin) because that seems to be the easiest way for me. Maybe I'll try the nappylocs tool in the future, but I think every other re-tighten I'll find some one to do it here in Chicago. Any suggestions ladies?

I'm about to tackle this too. I got the nappyloc tools but they didn't come with any instructions so I have to watch vids on YT
I also took the SL retightening class yesterday and did 2 rows in the class. I'll have to take a few hours and see how it goes with both tools and figure out which ones work better for me

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I'm about to tackle this too. I got the nappyloc tools but they didn't come with any instructions so I have to watch vids on YT
I also took the SL retightening class yesterday and did 2 rows in the class. I'll have to take a few hours and see how it goes with both tools and figure out which ones work better for me
I used DynamicRunner's method of retightining, only I use my fingers instead of a tool because it was talk FOREVER to do and the blasted hook kept getting stuck in my hair.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I have some concerns. My left side edges appear to be thinning. :-(

But they were kind of thinning when I was a loose natural. My loctitian said she would check it out during my next visit.

I may have to mix a JBCO solution and start rubbing it on my edges daily. I plan to make the Shea Moisture JBCO poo my main poo...and when I am fully loc'd, I will use the conditioner.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 78

LavenderMint

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I have some concerns. My left side edges appear to be thinning. :-(

But they were kind of thinning when I was a loose natural. My loctitian said she would check it out during my next visit.

I may have to mix a JBCO solution and start rubbing it on my edges daily. I plan to make the Shea Moisture JBCO poo my main poo...and when I am fully loc'd, I will use the conditioner.

Your hair looks great!!
I combed my locs out this summer after 15 years with them. I've noticed that my formerly healthy edges are now broken and short, needing some babying.
WhAt is jbco?

Harina

I forgot to post I reached my 1 year mark
1 week later and I'm still retightening :cry:
It doesn't help that I've only been able to do 1-2 hours at a time after work. I am faster now than I was when I first started and I should be done today

My left side too. I just bought that temple fertilizing balm from ORS. It has good reviews! I like the scent too.

LavenderMint

How much length did you lose?

JBCO = Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Thank you. And thankfully, I have that! lol

I cut about six inches off first and then combed them out. Overall, I think I lost maybe 2-3 more inches per loc to shed hair. It's weird & hard to tell because my hair is so curly.
My hairline was fine before locing and now I'm down to about 1/2 inch in the front. I don't know when that happened :(

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Ok. I have some Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo, but it has panthenol and glycerin high on the list. I am worried it may mess with my progress. I am now 9 months in--- yay!