Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I henna'd my hair and did a hot oil treatment today. My loose hair was always extra fuzzy after a henna treatment and my loced hair does the same thing. I can't dc because I'm afraid of build up so I did a hot oil treatment afterwards with coconut oil. I normally use jamila henna which is sifted fine and easy to wash out but I had run out so I had to buy some other brand from my local health food store (Moroccan method) and I used hibiscus tea to get a redder tint.
Pics with flash:
Before pic for comparison:

After:

Without flash:

The bad news is this brand isn't as finely sifted as my regular henna and it took FOREVER to wash out and I'm still smelling that earthy/herbal scent. I think I might wash it again when I get home. Hopefully they smooth out because they're pretty fuzzy right now

ETA the good news is I didn't get any unraveling, not even the problem children at the edges

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Super pissed off........I had to start my locs all over again. The person who washed my hair (not his usual assistant) washed my hair in a way that it all unraveled and I'm now back to square one. Will not be going back. I cried on my drive back home.

BillsBackerz67

Thanks ladies. Damian wasn't the issue it was his assistant so I'm not going to bash the salon. For the next few retwists I am going to someone in Dallas who Damian trained. I told her my concerns and we're both on the same page with things. I may be taking a nursing assignment in Houston come October so I'll be going back. By then I shouldn't have to freak out about who washes my hair the correct way because I will have made some progress. I'm not giving up!

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Thanks ladies. Damian wasn't the issue it was his assistant so I'm not going to bash the salon. For the next few retwists I am going to someone in Dallas who Damian trained. I told her my concerns and we're both on the same page with things. I may be taking a nursing assignment in Houston come October so I'll be going back. By then I shouldn't have to freak out about who washes my hair the correct way because I will have made some progress. I'm not giving up!
Oh, wow...and you cried. So sorry to hear this.

Damian didn't retwist your locs? Or is it just the fact that you are starting over at square one?

BillsBackerz67

Oh, wow...and you cried. So sorry to hear this.

Damian didn't retwist your locs? Or is it just the fact that you are starting over at square one?
No there was nothing to retwist. Damien had to redo my entire head. I've been trying to loc since May 1st it is now almost August. So I pretty much have done everything on my end to keep my hair from unraveling because my hair does not hold well because of the texture and then that idiot washed my progress down the drain.....literally.

nothidden

No there was nothing to retwist. Damien had to redo my entire head. I've been trying to loc since May 1st it is now almost August. So I pretty much have done everything on my end to keep my hair from unraveling because my hair does not hold well because of the texture and then that idiot washed my progress down the drain.....literally.
Oh...and since May...ouch! I feel for you. I would have probably cried, too. I see some gorgeous locs and can't wait to get there, so I would hate for a shampoo to screw that up.

Platinum

:angry2::swearing::angry2: Hell I'm mad too!

nothidden

So I did go for the loc consultation (last Tuesday I think). It went well but while I prefer the coil/palm roll look, the staff (I spoke w/3) were trying to steer me towards two-strand twist starters (@Platinum. as you mentioned). What I don't like about this starter technique is that the twists don't go away, so my locs will be split between about 6" worth of twists followed by palm rolled new growth. While I did make an appt to get palm roll starters, I could tell the stylist wasn't feeling it, so I wound up cancelling.

I want to get them done by this guy I found on IG (locnationstan). LOVE his work. Of course he's in another state. But as soon as I'm able to get a ride over, I will do so.

One thing I pondered today is whether to get color before my starter locs. I'm thinking it might be easier to color on loose hair.

BillsBackerz67

So I did go for the loc consultation (last Tuesday I think). It went well but while I prefer the coil/palm roll look, the staff (I spoke w/3) were trying to steer me towards two-strand twist starters (@Platinum. as you mentioned). What I don't like about this starter technique is that the twists don't go away, so my locs will be split between about 6" worth of twists followed by palm rolled new growth. While I did make an appt to get palm roll starters, I could tell the stylist wasn't feeling it, so I wound up cancelling.

I want to get them done by this guy I found on IG (locnationstan). LOVE his work. Of course he's in another state. But as soon as I'm able to get a ride over, I will do so.

One thing I pondered today is whether to get color before my starter locs. I'm thinking it might be easier to color on loose hair.
Same thing with me with the two strand twists on my initial consult! I wasn't feeling it. And I can tell if someone starts them with two strands. It doesn't look bad at all but the difference would bother me and I'd end up cutting the ends off once they mature.

I "heard" coloring helps the locing process because it dries the hair out but I'm not sure how true it is.

nothidden

Same thing with me with the two strand twists on my initial consult! I wasn't feeling it. And I can tell if someone starts them with two strands. It doesn't look bad at all but the difference would bother me and I'd end up cutting the ends off once they mature.

I "heard" coloring helps the locing process because it dries the hair out but I'm not sure how true it is.
Yeah, one of the women I spoke to had twist starters and interlocking which looked fine, but the double texture would bug the heck out of me because I know how I would love for mine to mature:
Screenshot_2016-07-11-10-02-41.png Screenshot_2016-07-12-09-30-32.png

I'll have to ask around about coloring. My concern is a dry flaky scalp w/locs. So my logic is if I get the color before locing, I can work back to my normal scalp moisture level.

msdeevee

I got my install yesterday for my sisterlocks. I love it!!

My hair was short starting out so for now they look a little scalpy but I know it will fill in & look less so as it matures. I had to wash it Sunday night to prep for the install . I was so happy knowing that was the last time I would be detangling my hair. I also have a very large box of products to give away.

I'm happy & excited for the journey.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Extremely happy with my retwist. drove home with a smile on my face instead of tears lol! Went to the lady that worked under Damian for 3 years as his shampoo girl and assistant. She's a sweetheart. The Miami humidity caused my hair to go poof! (1st pic below in the pineapple shirt that I'm looking crazy in) I'm going to Barbados Saturday so the same thing will be happening. She said I should get some salt water from the ocean and mist it on my hair periodically. Apparently salt water helps the locking process.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 118

dicapr

Yeah, one of the women I spoke to had twist starters and interlocking which looked fine, but the double texture would bug the heck out of me because I know how I would love for mine to mature:
View attachment 367929 View attachment 367931

I'll have to ask around about coloring. My concern is a dry flaky scalp w/locs. So my logic is if I get the color before locing, I can work back to my normal scalp moisture level.

Doesn't the twist pattern disappear? I started my locs with braids and after a year you can't see any braid pattern at all. My loctician was mentioning how she couldn't tell they used to be braids at my last retwist.

msdeevee

Extremely happy with my retwist. drove home with a smile on my face instead of tears lol! Went to the lady that worked under Damian for 3 years as his shampoo girl and assistant. She's a sweetheart. The Miami humidity caused my hair to go poof! (1st pic below in the pineapple shirt that I'm looking crazy in) I'm going to Barbados Saturday so the same thing will be happening. She said I should get some salt water from the ocean and mist it on my hair periodically. Apparently salt water helps the locking process.

I'm glad your former disappointment was reversed. My consultant told me that after 3 months I can mix lemon juice & water to spritz my hair & that will help the locking process. I like the salt water suggestion too.

Isn't it funny they sell salt water sprays for Caucasian women now to give them beach waves? I wouldn't buy them though because I'm sure they have a lot of extra preservatives & oils we don't need. I don't know about traditional locks but with Sisterlocks no oils are allowed for quite a while. Oils lead to slippage.

Anyway , your twists look pretty & shiny . Can't wait to see the results. I'm uber excited about my locks.

MrsMe

@BillsBackerz67 I was so mad for you!!!! Does Damian know about it? What's he going to do with her/how is he going to compensate you? That's 2+months of your time looking! Your new set looks gorgeous, though, so fingers crossed you'll have a beautiful set of locs.

My sisterlocks installation starts on Friday. I'm excited and so surprised by the fact that I'm going back to locs after only 4 years with loose hair. I never said I would never go back because I knew my bipolar self would change my mind. :lachen:
Any last minute advice? I wanted to color my hair but didn't get a chance to do it. Is it too late to do it tomorrow, 1 day before beginning of installation?

nothidden

Doesn't the twist pattern disappear? I started my locs with braids and after a year you can't see any braid pattern at all. My loctician was mentioning how she couldn't tell they used to be braids at my last retwist.
Twists are lumpy and more prone to swelling than braids....esp if they are large
Twists and braids mature different.

I've heard that they don't go away, and the locticians I met with didn't correct me when I said that was my reason for not wanting them. However, I read here (http://curlynugrowth.com/7-methods-to-start-locs-drawbacks-what-to-expect/) that it can take up to 2 yrs for the lines to disappear. I've also heard that people cut them off as their locs grow. Maybe it depends on your hair texture.

Whatever the case may be, I am one person unwilling to chance it. I love two-strand loc twists, but I do not want that to be a pattern I have to outgrow.

nothidden

They're beautiful!! So happy for you.

Well between the extreme heat and the gym, I have been sweating like a HOG! So glad I decided to postpone my starters...although Damian states in his videos the salty sweat will help the process, I'm not sure my scalp would be able to take the first 3 wks of no shampooing...although I plan to dab my scalp with a Q-tip saturated w/aloe vera juice to help me thru the first 3 wks.

Anyway came across a really sweet and funny lochead on youtube. Her youtube name is bsnatural; brittany_alonge on IG. This pic of her is in my loc inspiration stash, but her locs are now down her back.
BrittanyAlonge.jpg

dicapr

Twists and braids mature different.

I've heard that they don't go away, and the locticians I met with didn't correct me when I said that was my reason for not wanting them. However, I read here (http://curlynugrowth.com/7-methods-to-start-locs-drawbacks-what-to-expect/) that it can take up to 2 yrs for the lines to disappear. I've also heard that people cut them off as their locs grow. Maybe it depends on your hair texture.

Whatever the case may be, I am one person unwilling to chance it. I love two-strand loc twists, but I do not want that to be a pattern I have to outgrow.

Thanks. I heard the same about braidlocs that's why I asked. I read that you would have to cut away the braids and others said the pattern would go away with time. My understanding is the longer your hair is when you start out the longer it takes the pattern to disappear. But you've got to do what is going to give you the end result you are looking for.

nothidden

Thanks. I heard the same about braidlocs that's why I asked. I read that you would have to cut away the braids and others said the pattern would go away with time. My understanding is the longer your hair is when you start out the longer it takes the pattern to disappear. But you've got to do what is going to give you the end result you are looking for.
That makes sense, and my hair is 6-7 inches long. Maybe I wouldn't care so much if my hair was the minimum 2.5". I dunno.

But my guess with braids would be that the pattern would be easier to disappear. If it's swelling, budding, and frizzing and you're wrapping or palm rolling the frizz around the braid that has no spaces, to me that pattern would go away quicker.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i started my locs with twists and the pattern disappeared almost immediately. i have very frizzy, kinky hair though. it was bsl when i loc'd but shrank up past my shoulders.

i wish i had better pics but im not a big picture taker. the first pic was about a week after i started. it is literally the only picture i have of my hair at that length.:lol:
Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 8.32.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-29 at 7.53.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 7.55.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 8.04.21 PM.png