Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Arian my locs started to bud within the first two to three weeks of my journey. It was probably because I rinsed my hair frequently. Most of the buds formed in the middle of the loc, others formed closer to the root. I don't think I had any of them to form on the ends.

Great! I wonder how long mine will take to bud. I will post in this thread on Dec 2 when my twists are installed.

Platinum

I'm thinking about retwisting my locs today. I was planning to wait until Thanksgiving but I'll probably be busy with work until then. I want to try palmrolling but I wash/rinse my hair almost everyday.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I am trying so hard to not start my locs tomorrow! Lol...

I think it is important to exercise patience at this point, if not to just hold on to a bit of it as I transition from loose natural hair to locs. It just seems that my hair is frustrating me even more now that I have made the decision to start locs.

The countdown to December 2 officially begins.

ChasingBliss

I'm thinking about retwisting my locs today. I was planning to wait until Thanksgiving but I'll probably be busy with work until then. I want to try palmrolling but I wash/rinse my hair almost everyday.

Yeah, if youre gonna wash/rinse daily....you should probably not waste time retwisting :lol:

I've decided not to go back to the loctician until January.

Atdow71

Here's a piccs of my first set

melisandre

I'm thinking about starting a set of braidlocs. If I do, I'll definitely come back to post pics. :yep:

A few years ago had a set of locs started, but I combed them out after 3 months or so. I wasn't happy with the parts, the size, etc. and wasn't too fond of the loctician. It's difficult to find good stylist in my city. So, I'm definitely diy as much as possible.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Well, I have 6 more days left until my install. The closer the day gets, the more nervous I become. I don't know why since twists can be taken down if for some reason I change my mind.

I sat down and washed/detangled my hair for the last time on Sunday. For the first year or so, I won't be washing my own hair-will leave that for the loctitian to do.

I really want to make a commitment to this, so I hope she does a good job. She seems to have a good reputation and a wealth of knowledge.

ChasingBliss

Hey how many locs do you all have?

I just counted and I have 55. I wish it were at least 70 but everyone tells me I have a good amount and a good size. So I stopped fretting.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Hey how many locs do you all have?

I just counted and I have 55. I wish it were at least 70 but everyone tells me I have a good amount and a good size. So I stopped fretting.

Are you supposed to tell them how many locs you want when you have them installed? I have no idea what to say. My appointment is Tuesday...can't believe how close it is now! Also, am I supposed to specify a parting pattern?

Platinum

Are you supposed to tell them how many locs you want when you have them installed? I have no idea what to say. My appointment is Tuesday...can't believe how close it is now! Also, am I supposed to specify a parting pattern?
Arian I think it's easier to tell the loctician what size you'd like. In my case, the young lady asked me about sizing preference, I asked for pencil-sized. They were smaller than I expected but in time, they started to swell. Now, they're pencil sized in diameter.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Arian I think it's easier to tell the loctician what size you'd like. In my case, the young lady asked me about sizing preference, I asked for pencil-sized. They were smaller than I expected but in time, they started to swell. Now, they're pencil sized in diameter.

Perfect! Thank you!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
So I have to schedule my retightenings at either 4 or 5 weeks from now on. I'm at 5 1/2 weeks right now with my appointment in 1 week and I have a mini fro underneath my locs which I ordinarily wouldn't mind but I know it will be harder to keep to the original parts with too much new growth. I have been going through and making sure my roots don't mat. The downside of having locs these small with my texture is they keep wanting to join together so I'll have to separate 2 or 3 locks at the root that are trying to merge

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Foxglove, is this something I will need to watch with traditional locs as well?

Arian I'm not sure but from what I read the risk is always there especially if you go for long periods between retightenings but it's easier to keep larger locs separate (for example ex it would be easier to separate the roots of 100 locs than it would for 400 locs). My hair did this in mini twists too so I knew what to expect

ChasingBliss

LOL no ....well not that I know of. I just felt like counting my locs. You can however tell them the size you want. I wanted smaller ones at the time but my loctician told me that my hair was too thin for the size loc I wanted. So she gave me what she thought would best work with my hair type.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

No just tell them about how big or small you want them to be. I would go with pictures

Platinum

I forgot to mention that I'm 6 months into my Loc'd journey as of November 27.:grin: I believe I'm in the teenage stage now because I have a few unruly locs that want to stand up like Alfalfa from The Little Rascals.:hair: I can't wait until I get some "hang time". I kinda envy those that can shake their locs.:lol:

Rainbow Dash

Hi all,

I'm 2 months into my Sisterlocks. So far, I'm loving them. I was natural for about 4 years. I'm glad I got the time to get to know my natural hair as a loose natural. I chose Sisterlocks because I like the styling options I have with them. I do twist-outs, braid-outs, and updos, with them, at the moment. When I don't feel like playing in my hair, I wear head wraps. I'm just ready for them to get longer and fill in more.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
My last twistout before the two strands are installed..

I look sad. :lol:

This is a bittersweet moment! Sorry the pic is sideways.

ForumRunner_20141202_084620.jpg

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I'm all done! Will post pics when I get home...after I eat and get some of the product residue off my skin, lol. My face will break out really quick if it has a film on it.

She was quick and efficient!