Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Thank you! Yes my consultant had one of those headlights on her forehead gtg it in lol. I’m in the Houston area so if anyone’s interested in her- let me know!
Welcome!!! They look beautiful!

The YouTuber Let's Journey is moving to TX and looking for a consultant there. Maybe you can let her know. She's on IG as well.

Platinum

I've been watching some of Damian Walter's videos and I notice that he recommends Design Essentials shampoos and conditioner. Has anyone tried those products?

msdeevee

I would do one of 3 things: find another consultant; bite the bullet and do my own re-ti; find another sister with SLs who had training and retighten each other's hair. $200 for a re-ti is too much for me.

Oh how I miss lhcf. So much to see and read. My SisterLocks are almost 5 months, and they have been nothing but a godsend!! My 5th re-ti is on the 23rd. I'll post updated pics afterwards.

Thank you for your response.

I finally bit the bullet & did my own retight. I just decided that I will do a bit as a time as it grows out. It takes me from 4-5 days but like said I do only a few at a time.

I love my consultant so I don’t think I would consider going to someone else but 180 sumthin every 4 weeks is definitely out of my scope. Like I said that’s some folks car payments.

My retight came out pretty good so I’m just gonna continue with that. The more I do it the better it will be.

nothidden

Thank you for your response.

I finally bit the bullet & did my own retight. I just decided that I will do a bit as a time as it grows out. It takes me from 4-5 days but like said I do only a few at a time.

I love my consultant so I don’t think I would consider going to someone else but 180 sumthin every 4 weeks is definitely out of my scope. Like I said that’s some folks car payments.

My retight came out pretty good so I’m just gonna continue with that. The more I do it the better it will be.
Congratz on doing your own re-ti!! Y'all got that. I pray I NEVER have to do my own.

mz.rae

Retighten is tomorrow Wooo hooo! Will be heading into month 9 on the 8th. I am getting closer to that one year mark. I’m trying to figure out how to protect my hair from this harsh cold weather. My hair is too short to pull up so I don’t know what to do. And I’ve been spritzing my scalp with a rose water diluted with regular water and a few drops of peppermint oil. But I’m worried about my hair too I haven’t be okayed to use oil on my hair just the scalp. I just don’t want my hair to end up drying out and breaking.

msdeevee

Retighten is tomorrow Wooo hooo! Will be heading into month 9 on the 8th. I am getting closer to that one year mark. I’m trying to figure out how to protect my hair from this harsh cold weather. My hair is too short to pull up so I don’t know what to do. And I’ve been spritzing my scalp with a rose water diluted with regular water and a few drops of peppermint oil. But I’m worried about my hair too I haven’t be okayed to use oil on my hair just the scalp. I just don’t want my hair to end up drying out and breaking.

I don’t think you have to worry about your hair breaking. Is your hair extremely dry? Before I got my Sisterlocks I thought that my loose natural hair was extremely dry so I cut it all off cuz no matter what I did...grease, oil, steam , creams, LOC METHOD . My hair was like straw.

Since I’ve been locked I no longer have that problem because I think my scalp has had a chance to release it’s own sebum and my scalp and hair are grateful. I also drink plenty water. Still working on eating better.

Even though I don’t have a problem for Winter I bought a black satin bonnet . I spritz my hair with a mist of rosewater/distilled water mix put the bonnet on underneath my Winter hats. I’m growing out my edges from b4 Sisterlocks braids so I rub a drop of castor oil on those spots and go.

You’ll be fine. As for counting down to a year, I totally feel you. I couldn’t wait to get to a year then once I got to a year I didn’t think about the time anymore. I surprised myself. I think now I’m about 17-18 months in. I’ll think about it again when I’m approaching 2 years.

mz.rae

I don’t think you have to worry about your hair breaking. Is your hair extremely dry? Before I got my Sisterlocks I thought that my loose natural hair was extremely dry so I cut it all off cuz no matter what I did...grease, oil, steam , creams, LOC METHOD . My hair was like straw.

Since I’ve been locked I no longer have that problem because I think my scalp has had a chance to release it’s own sebum and my scalp and hair are grateful. I also drink plenty water. Still working on eating better.

Even though I don’t have a problem for Winter I bought a black satin bonnet . I spritz my hair with a mist of rosewater/distilled water mix put the bonnet on underneath my Winter hats. I’m growing out my edges from b4 Sisterlocks braids so I rub a drop of castor oil on those spots and go.

You’ll be fine. As for counting down to a year, I totally feel you. I couldn’t wait to get to a year then once I got to a year I didn’t think about the time anymore. I surprised myself. I think now I’m about 17-18 months in. I’ll think about it again when I’m approaching 2 years.
Thank you so much! I wasn't sure if I was suppose to do anything to keep my hair moisturized like back in my loose natural and relaxed days. The only thing that gets dry is my scalp and it has always been like that. I'm going to start to increase my intake of water to try and help with the dryness.

Platinum

I did a re-twist the other day and it come out pretty good. I wish I had put more gel on edges so I could have more of a "fresher" look. I also used Cream of Nature Argan Oil shampoo after using a cleansing shampoo. My hair is softer than it was after my last re-twist so I'm definitely adding this back into my regimen.

Lynnerie

sooo I really love my sisterlocks. They look great and I get compliments. The only drawback and what I don't like is that I have almost 700 locks. I didn't ask for that many and yes my hair is dense but I will never be able to maintain all these locs. I tried retightening them myself and just gave up. I know I'm going to combine them but need to know what number do y'all think is manageable?

It takes my consultant 7 -8 hours every 6 weeks to retighten. I feel like by the time I finish it's time to start again.

BillsBackerz67

sooo I really love my sisterlocks. They look great and I get compliments. The only drawback and what I don't like is that I have almost 700 locks. I didn't ask for that many and yes my hair is dense but I will never be able to maintain all these locs. I tried retightening them myself and just gave up. I know I'm going to combine them but need to know what number do y'all think is manageable?

It takes my consultant 7 -8 hours every 6 weeks to retighten. I feel like by the time I finish it's time to start again.

Wait don’t most heads of sister locs have over 500? I just assumed it was quadrupole double the amount I had (I have 120 ish)
I feel like the consensus is anything under 200 for manageable self maintenance:look:

I ain’t even bother considering sister locs cuz I already knew the deal. I can not sit anywhere for more than 45 minutes or even attempt to try and do my own retightens. No ma’am:( sister locs are not low maintenance for me and that would have defeated the purpose of loc’ing in the first place.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

I thought I did enough research but I guess not. I thought reties would take 2-4 hours which I could deal with. But my sister locks are just too small. I would be cool with 350 to 400. Your locks are super lush @BillsBackerz67.
Thank you! I think Bindi Mark (black hair compass on YT) had about 400 before she combed hers out and she interlocked the roots ...that process would take up an entire weekend but the trade off was going longer in between retightens as opposed to Retwisting. I think it would take 3-6 hours to wash and retwist 400 locs.

nothidden

I cleansed my SisterLocks with a mix of aloe vera juice, Bentonite clay, and gycerin. This isn't advised when starting out, but I've been concerned with drying out my locs since it's been below zero for the past few days. They feel and look great. I plan to put a little oil in my scalp as well.

mz.rae

Was scratching my scalp and noticed that three locs in the same row look like they have slipped. I don't know if my consultant missed those three or what happened.

Lynnerie

Well I just got my hair retightened yesterday. Got to her house at 8:20 am and was done at 6pm. Yes you read that right. A 10 hour reti. She didn't even take a break to eat. We both only took 1 potty break. I told her I need to have these combined. It just makes no sense to have these tiny locks with the amount of hair I have. Now my loctician will admit that she is slow at retightening. She does reti every lock, never skips any and she does do maintenance on them if they need it. But this is ridiculous. So she asked me how many locs do I want to go down to?
Now just so you know I started off with 691 I told her I would like to have 350ish. She said it's not possible. She said she can do to low 400s and I can still keep my grid. I guess that's a start. But I was telling her how I would be fine with pencil sized locks. She is not trying to hear it. I wish I knew how to upload pics so you all can see what I'm talking about. I just need a place to vent. I can't vent on those facebook groups because she is on there.
I'm just over these small locks. I just can't deal with sitting in her chair for more than 4 hours. Sorry to be on here complaining.

On another note I have signed up to take the sisterlocks training when it comes to my city in August. I told her and she was like, well do you have a client lined up? I said no but I might want to do my daughter's hair. Plus my mom has sisterlocks and I can retighten hers. I love locks of all kinds and just want to learn about them and know the process. I'm even starting traditional locs on my son.