Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
So at my 6th re-ti on Saturday my consultant did a lot of separating, despite the separating I had already done earlier that morning. I told her that I separated also and she said the more new growth, the more separating needs to be done. This was the confirmation I was looking for because I knew my hair sprouted due to using my scalp massager almost daily. I could also tell because there were more rotations, especially along my hairline, all the way around. I'll pick up the massager again in February.

And I have to remember not to shampoo the day of my re-ti. Doing so makes my scalp tender, and it did not appreciate the extra tugging during the re-ti:nono2:.

Platinum

I just shampoo’d my hair and noticed some build-up around the base of some of my locs. I was going to use Taliah Waajid Tight Hold again but I’m thinking about switching it up this time.

What do you all think about this?

mz.rae

I just shampoo’d my hair and noticed some build-up around the base of some of my locs. I was going to use Taliah Waajid Tight Hold again but I’m thinking about switching it up this time.

Looks good! I wonder how good and long of a hold it will provide. But it looks like a good alternative.

msdeevee

Looks good @mz.rae

I’m in the process of retightening my Sisterlocks now. I find this time that I’m getting a little quicker than I was. I still can’t finish in one sitting but I’m ok with doing it over a few days an hour or 2 when I can.

I was gonna go to my consultant to let her do it but I can’t really justify paying 180. Every 5 weeks or so.

msdeevee

That's a lot. What state do you live in?

New York. I’m by no means cheap and I love my consultant. She’s personable and very knowledgeable. I just can’t see coming outta pocket every 5 weeks with 180.00. That’s some people’s car payment.

I got my Sisterlocks installed in July 2016 and her price goes up $15.00 every year. I guess next year it’ll go up to 195.00 .

Platinum

I used this for my re-twist and I like it but I was expecting more shine. I think I'll use it again. It seems to hold well without feeling stiff or crunchy. My locs are pretty soft.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Hello ladies. I’ve read this entire thread. :) I can’t wait to join you. I’m going in for my consultation on Monday. I’ve decided on Sisterlocs after being natural for 2 years. My mother has been wearing them for almost six years and her hair is beautiful. I will be using her Sisterloc consultant though she is an hour away. It will be worth the drive for peace of mind.

My hair is 9-10 inches long and I really don’t want to cut it. I’ll just pay extra if I have to and suffer through the 2-3 day establishment. Do you mind sharing how long your hair was when your locks were established?

Platinum

Hello ladies. I’ve read this entire thread. :) I can’t wait to join you. I’m going in for my consultation on Monday. I’ve decided on Sisterlocs after being natural for 2 years. My mother has been wearing them for almost six years and her hair is beautiful. I will be using her Sisterloc consultant though she is an hour away. It will be worth the drive for peace of mind.

My hair is 9-10 inches long and I really don’t want to cut it. I’ll just pay extra if I have to and suffer through the 2-3 day establishment. Do you mind sharing how long your hair was when your locks were established?

Hi @simplycee mine was only about 5-6 inches long when I had my install. I can't wait to hear about your consultation and install.

Last edited:

msdeevee

You will not regret your decision.

I’ve been natural for about 15 years but at the time I made my final decision to have my Sisterlocks installed I was growing out a tapered cut so my hair was 6” on top and 3-4”on the sides and back. I cut the top down to 4” to save cost. I’m in NY and my establishment already was costing over a grand so I sacrificed the extra length but I have no regrets. I was installed in July 2016 my locks are now grazing my shoulder so I’m good. I wish you the best with your installation.come back & share pics. My installation took 12 hours all in 1 day. That was one of my requirements no 2-3 day installation.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I made the appointment for my install for this weekend. She measured my hair to be 10-11 inches vs the 9-10 inches I thought I had. She’s charging me $750 for everything. I thought for sure with my length and thickness it would be much, much more.

She did say my hair is too thick and dense for the micro sized sisterlocks and recommended small in the majority of areas and maybe med in a few sections at my crown. She even took the time and to show me the difference between micro, small, med and large. And she said it will take 2 full days for the install.

I’m excited. Stay tuned...

mz.rae

I made the appointment for my install for this weekend. She measured my hair to be 10-11 inches vs the 9-10 inches I thought I had. She’s charging me $750 for everything. I thought for sure with my length and thickness it would be much, much more.

She did say my hair is too thick and dense for the micro sized sisterlocks and recommended small in the majority of areas and maybe med in a few sections at my crown. She even took the time and to show me the difference between micro, small, med and large. And she said it will take 2 full days for the install.

I’m excited. Stay tuned...
Yay!!! I’m so excited for for you!!

mz.rae

As my sisterlocks are starting to lock and form, and I’m seeing mine are going to be on the larger side. Which is good, I use to want the micro size, but I’m starting to like the little larger size better.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Ugh!!!!!!! :crybaby:

Day 1 = 9.5 hours in the chair
Day 2 = 10 hours in the chair
And my hair still isn’t done. :( I’m going back for 3 hours tomorrow and again on Tuesday for another 3-4 hours then I’ll be done. I really like what I see so far but I’m not happy about having my hair partially done. She admitted that I have even more hair then she thought and we should have planned for 3 full says instead of 2.

I did learn that I have 3 different curl patterns on my head and a couple areas where my hair is fine vs the all medium strands I thought I had. And my head is sore in some areas. Wasn’t expecting that because I’ve never been tender headed.

I will share pics on Tuesday/Wed.

msdeevee

Ugh!!!!!!! :crybaby:

Day 1 = 9.5 hours in the chair
Day 2 = 10 hours in the chair
And my hair still isn’t done. :( I’m going back for 3 hours tomorrow and again on Tuesday for another 3-4 hours then I’ll be done. I really like what I see so far but I’m not happy about having my hair partially done. She admitted that I have even more hair then she thought and we should have planned for 3 full says instead of 2.

I did learn that I have 3 different curl patterns on my head and a couple areas where my hair is fine vs the all medium strands I thought I had. And my head is sore in some areas. Wasn’t expecting that because I’ve never been tender headed.

I will share pics on Tuesday/Wed.

That is a long haul. I don’t know if I would have been able to do that . Many have though if you’re on one of the FB Sisterlock pages you’ll see. I have no doubt though that when you’re finally done you’ll be happy. Looking forward to your pics.

On another note...In my previous post I said I can’t see paying $180. For my retight and I still feel it’s a lot but I’ve decided that at least for the next 2-3 retights or maybe even through the Spring & Summer I’ll go back to my consultant. I’ve been doing my own retights and I think my locks still look good but this was a big investment and I love my locks I want to be sure that their straight. I want to keep my grid and I want my locks to be strong. I’m at a point now where my locks are growing so fast and I also color my hair so I want to be sure about them. My appt is for 3/12.

Platinum

I feel like re-twisting my hair but I'm wondering if I should wait a few weeks. I usually go 6-8 weeks, I'm only going on 4 weeks right now. :ohwell:

Platinum

Well ladies.... My Sisterlocs have finally been established. 32 hours over 5 days. I’m just glad its over. This weekend I’m boxing up 90 % of the many, many MANY products under my sink. What my daughter doesn’t keep will be donated to the local women’s shelter. I don’t have a single regret.
View attachment 425841

*I’ll probably delete the picture later*

Congratulations, @simplycee! :clapping::yahoo: