Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I started my locs in January and I have been an avid viewer of Locs by Yannie. She has made a huge difference in how I deal with my "slightly" disrespectful locs. LOL I was so worried and anal about my locs before I saw her vids. Now I fell like I can manage my locs versus my life being taken over and obsessing over them. With her and the info in this thread I am set and just watching them grow.

WOW!!!! They both looked so much better after she was done. Got me wondering what ingredients are in that detox.

mz.rae

Washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo my consultant said I could use. And I can tell the difference in my locs, my hair and scalp feel clean! My hair and scalp never felt clean with the Sisterlock shampoo. It always left this weird look to my hair and scalp would always itch.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Believe me, you will.

If you haven't already join the FB forum Sisterlocked & lovin' it. You will see so many newbies and ladies that have had SL's for years with all edges in tact. You'll get a lot of great info.

Yes, that's a great group! So many beautiful heads of Sisterlocks in there. I like going to look at pics, especially when that grid is fresh from a retightening. I miss that about mine.

Just watched this video and it really encouraged me. I was getting so hung up on length and wanting my hair to grow. That I am missing out on the joy of the journey of being being this length. I am going to start trying out different styles and just enjoying the journey. The same way I took the the time to enjoy my relaxed hair journey and the different stages, and my loose natural journey. Is the same way I need to be enjoying my sisterlock journey.

What a beautiful and powerful message. Thanks for sharing that!

@mstar I didn't know you had locks
Is it me or does it seem like traditional locs, lock faster than sisterlocks? I see people who get traditional locks and their hair seems to loc within a few months. And then I see people with sisterlocks who have had them for a year or more and their hair still isn't loced all the way.

You might be on to something here. I had my Sisterlocks for 18 months and I still had a lot of locks that looked like the starter installed locks. The rest of them were whatever size they were supposed to be near the roots and the bottom was fatter/lumpy/bumpy in appearance.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Anyone follow JoyceMD on youtube? she is also bindi_mark on IG. I believe she is taking down her locs and she has a heck of a lot of them.

View attachment 412475

I do... I love her! I remember when she first installed her locks too. I was surprised to see she cut her hair, because she kept saying she wouldn't comb them out. I just watched her video with her loose hair. It was cute. I laughed at 'I lied...ya'll know I be lying.' :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I think it's fascinating that she installed microlocks and then her hair morphed into what it was and she had about 250 locks.

do still bounce back and forth between wanting to combine my locs and making them traditionals. But then I see someone with long beautiful Sisterlocks and I remember the look I was going for

This was me all the time! I know how you feel.

I don't know why I'm having trouble uploading pics from my phone. I had to save them to my laptop. Anyway, I'm not seeing a lot of growth but I'm definitely seeing more thickness. I don't plan to do another retwist until January.
View attachment 415103 View attachment 415105 View attachment 415107

Alright now! I see you!

caliscurls

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
  • 6 weeks
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
  • Wanted change, freedom/more carefree hair maintenance, and I’ve always thought they were beautiful. Wearing my hair in loose twists for so long just made me want locs more so I finally did it.
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
  • For the indefinite future
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
  • Sisterlocks
5. What process did you use to start your locs?
  • Sisterlock consultant
6. How do you maintain your locs?
  • Myself, did my first reti last weekend. Even though it took long it was much easier than I thought. The usual hair rule applies - when you get tired stop or you’ll make mistakes.
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
  • Wash day: Shampoo bars, acv rinse
  • Daily: rose water
  • On occasion: herbal scalp spray

BillsBackerz67

My lociversary is this week but I’ll be working 1-11:30pm everyday after today so I figure I’d post while I’m off so I don’t forget. If I had a fresh retwist they might hang a half inch or so longer but I won’t be retwisting until mid June so who knows. I oil my scalp every 2-3 days with either Wild Growth Oil (I prefer the lite formula but it leaves a residual cigarettes smell so I only use it at night very sparingly), whatever Wen Oil I have left (seasonal Summer scents) or the Multiuse floral infused oil from Urban outfitters. Wash every 2-3 weeks (no conditioner) and occasionally retwisting the front as needed. I still love my locs! I’m thinking about getting a cowrie shell or two added and looking to buy a few loc charms now that they’ve matured. We’ll see!

Day 1 (May 3rd 2016)
AD2068C2-416C-415A-B00A-F0C495B96EB7.jpeg

Year 1 (April 29th 2017)
FE3D898A-CC01-4999-B6EA-83829FD70677.jpeg

Year 2 (Today)

95297FFE-ADD9-43CA-A51C-D2807B056146.jpeg

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
OK, I am all caught up reading this thread. Lots of great posts and information.

Washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo my consultant said I could use. And I can tell the difference in my locs, my hair and scalp feel clean! My hair and scalp never felt clean with the Sisterlock shampoo. It always left this weird look to my hair and scalp would always itch.

I'm glad it worked out for you! I hated that Sisterlocks shampoo also. I don't even know if I finished the first bottle. I might have thrown it in the trash. They should consider reformulating it or something. Too many women have problems with it.

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
  • 6 weeks
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
  • Wanted change, freedom/more carefree hair maintenance, and I’ve always thought they were beautiful. Wearing my hair in loose twists for so long just made me want locs more so I finally did it.
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
  • For the indefinite future
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
  • Sisterlocks
5. What process did you use to start your locs?
  • Sisterlock consultant
6. How do you maintain your locs?
  • Myself, did my first reti last weekend. Even though it took long it was much easier than I thought. The usual hair rule applies - when you get tired stop or you’ll make mistakes.
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
  • Wash day: Shampoo bars, acv rinse
  • Daily: rose water
  • On occasion: herbal scalp spray

Which shampoo bars do you use? I haven't figured out what I want to cleanse my scalp with yet. I'm considering using this, but I need to do more research first. I'm also thinking about water washing only, but I feel like my scalp might require more than that. Or maybe she doesn't and I'm just partial because I'm used to co-washing. :lachen:

My lociversary is this week but I’ll be working 1-11:30pm everyday after today so I figure I’d post while I’m off so I don’t forget. If I had a fresh retwist they might hang a half inch or so longer but I won’t be retwisting until mid June so who knows. I oil my scalp every 2-3 days with either Wild Growth Oil (I prefer the lite formula but it leaves a residual cigarettes smell so I only use it at night very sparingly), whatever Wen Oil I have left (seasonal Summer scents) or the Multiuse floral infused oil from Urban outfitters. Wash every 2-3 weeks (no conditioner) and occasionally retwisting the front as needed. I still love my locs! I’m thinking about getting a cowrie shell or two added and looking to buy a few loc charms now that they’ve matured. We’ll see!

Day 1 (May 3rd 2016)
View attachment 429447

Year 1 (April 29th 2017)
View attachment 429449

Year 2 (Today)

View attachment 429451

@BillsBackerz67 WOW!!!! Look at this progression of your hair. So beautiful!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I made it through the first week! I kept my hair covered under scarves the whole time. A few of them came undone that I had to redo. I also saw some that look like they are slipping so I will have to fix that also.

I'm still trying to figure out how they came undone in the first place, since I had my hair covered. I knew if I didn't I would be touching them and disturbing them.

Today I counted them and they got some steam from the shower, then it was back under a scarf.

I have 140 locks...it seemed like more than that because I thought I would never get done twisting.

Last edited:

mz.rae

Retighten was this past Saturday, and April 8th was my one year Locaversary! When I look at pics I am amazed at how far my hair has come! Looking forward to seeing what this year is going to bring! I did have one or two locs that did blow out in the front that my consultant had to put back in. But other than that, she said my hair is looking good!
740B5067-57DA-4A7E-BB61-DA07C36C25A5.jpeg

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Retighten was this past Saturday, and April 8th was my one year Locaversary! When I look at pics I am amazed at how far my hair has come! Looking forward to seeing what this year is going to bring! I did have one or two locs that did blow out in the front that my consultant had to put back in. But other than that, she said my hair is looking good!
View attachment 429507

Your hair looks good! Amazing progress all around. Congratulations on your anniversary!

BillsBackerz67

View attachment 429507
It grew a lot! Love it!

caliscurls

@shortycocoa I’m using Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve shampoo bars. Right now it’s the Coconut Mint but I also have their Herb Garden and Ayurvedic Herb and have used them in the past. I’ve been using their shampoo bars for years now and really like them. After shampooing I always do a final rinse with their Summer Rain herbal Acv (my mix is 1 TBL acv with 8 oz warm water). Leaves my hair clean, shiney, and my scalp moisturized.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa I’m using Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve shampoo bars. Right now it’s the Coconut Mint but I also have their Herb Garden and Ayurvedic Herb and have used them in the past. I’ve been using their shampoo bars for years now and really like them. After shampooing I always do a final rinse with their Summer Rain herbal Acv (my mix is 1 TBL acv with 8 oz warm water). Leaves my hair clean, shiney, and my scalp moisturized.

Oh ok thanks! Lots to consider. I was looking around on their website the other day but I got overwhelmed with all the choices and never went back.

How big are the shampoo bars and how long do they last? They seem kind of pricey. I see that they have a scrap sale twice a year but you have to sign up for their newsletter and/or follow them on social media to find out when. You can only get 1 bag per order, though. I might do that.

I interlocked my hair last week. It took 4 days. I was doing a little bit each day until I finished. There were some twists with really bad slippage that I had to undo and retwist, then interlock.

I washed my hair the next day. All is still good for now. I have 2 twists that are vulnerable but I am not going to stress about them.

Ya'll got me frequenting Instagram a lot more lately, looking at beautiful heads of different types of locks. I got my whole life earlier today following certain hashtags. I didn't know you could do that on IG.

caliscurls

@shortycocoa they’re pretty big. The regular size easily lasts me 6 months or a little more with weekly shampooing. That’s part of the reason I like them. Kinda pricey but they last a long time and are easy to travel with if you’re gone a long time or need to reduce the number of liquids you’re carrying on a plane.

I will try to remember to take a picture of a regular size bar and a sample size when I get home. I’m traveling this week though so it won’t be until Friday or Saturday. The sample sizes are great if you want to enjoy multiple bars for several months. It’s not uncommon for me to do that since the regular bars last so long. I enjoy the different scents and benefits. Or you couple buy a couple regular size bars you like and cut them in half.

The scrap sacks are worth it if it’s a bar you like.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

Day 1 (May 3rd 2016)
View attachment 429447

Year 1 (April 29th 2017)
View attachment 429449

Year 2 (Today)

View attachment 429451
Beautiful hair and awesome progress!:clapping:.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa they’re pretty big. The regular size easily lasts me 6 months or a little more with weekly shampooing. That’s part of the reason I like them. Kinda pricey but they last a long time and are easy to travel with if you’re gone a long time or need to reduce the number of liquids you’re carrying on a plane.

I will try to remember to take a picture of a regular size bar and a sample size when I get home. I’m traveling this week though so it won’t be until Friday or Saturday. The sample sizes are great if you want to enjoy multiple bars for several months. It’s not uncommon for me to do that since the regular bars last so long. I enjoy the different scents and benefits. Or you couple buy a couple regular size bars you like and cut them in half.

Ok, thanks for the info! That helps a lot with helping me decide. I just didn't want to pay that much for something that was small and didn't last a long time. I had my eye on the carrot milk and honey shampoo bar, so maybe I should start there.

I noticed a few flakes on my scalp yesterday. I got them out and put a little bit of sulfur oil on the areas where flakes were present or I had minimal itching.

I also made a sea salt and lemon juice spray to help my hair along some yesterday, but I haven't used it yet.

So far, I have washed my hair twice. The first wash was long, the second one was just a mini wash and to get the bend out of my locks from wearing puffs.

A little more than 2 months in. Still loving my SL. Shrinkage is something else though. The amount of shrinkage has been the only surprise so far. I wish I’d done this years ago.

Congrats!!! Keep pushing! Have you tried banding or braiding them to reduce the shrinkage some? My SL consultant used to have crazy shrinkage at one point. She used to also flat iron hers sometimes so they could appear longer.

I think the more they grow out the shrinkage goes away, though.

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Washed my hair this weekend. Every time I wash my hair I worry that my SL will come apart or there will be slippage. I don’t know why I worry. I do braid and band and I leave them that way until mostly dry.

OAN, I cannot use the SL shampoo. Moving onto Neutragena T-gel for my edges and Suave clarifying for the rest of my scalp. It feels so odd not to condition or add oil to my hair. This truly will be a journey. My SL will be 3 months this week. Still the best decision I’ve ever made.

caliscurls

@shortycocoa

The bigger bar isn’t at its full size as I’ve been using it since March. The smaller bar is new and hasn’t been used.

Attachments

• BDEFAE19-6205-449C-B1E3-7C16F063DDEA.jpeg
    BDEFAE19-6205-449C-B1E3-7C16F063DDEA.jpeg
    782.3 KB · Views: 17

caliscurls

In my quest to prevent “fat ends” I think I’ve been erroneously untangling some buds. Been doing this every week and realized today it’s probably not a good idea. How does everyone else handle this? Based on size? The smaller ones I’ve decided to leave alone (as of this week) but the bigger ones I’m thinking I should keep undoing them with a push-pin.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
In my quest to prevent “fat ends” I think I’ve been erroneously untangling some buds. Been doing this every week and realized today it’s probably not a good idea. How does everyone else handle this? Based on size? The smaller ones I’ve decided to leave alone (as of this week) but the bigger ones I’m thinking I should keep undoing them with a push-pin.

When I had SL I just left all of that alone. My consultant told me it was bunching. My hair was bunching even though I was braiding and banding, so I just stopped because it was a waste of time. I got SL to spend less time on my hair, not more...LOL.

This time around I haven't been banding or braiding my starter locks before getting in the shower, either. At first I was going to, but I have decided I am just going to let my locks form the way they want to. Hopefully I will end up with the size/look that I want.

I'm not sure you should undo yours, but this is your journey so if it feels right to you, then do what feels right! Have you told your consultant about this issue? They're supposed to be able to fix slippage and bunching, but my consultant told me it was extremely expensive. She was fixing my slippage for free, because we were bartering. She never fixed any of my bunching because it was on almost EVERY lock. I was hoping that they would all correct themselves through the locking/condensing process. However, I cut them off after 18 months so I never got to see what they matured into.

I can't believe that I'm about to be 4 years loc'd in a few days!)

Yay!!!! Congratulations! Here's to a happy and healthy year 5!

caliscurls

@shortycocoa that’s helpful thank you! I just have a problem paying people for little things I can do myself, lol, and that’s why I haven’t gone back to her (call me cheap! :) ) She’s really nice but I don’t have any slippage just I guess some bunching...I think in part because she left up to 3 inches of my hair unlocked in some places (that’s another story).