Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
This thread is life.
Seriously considering sisterlocks. Possibly the fall in October or at the end of the year ..

Yay!!!! Yes, come join us in here. The more locked heads, the merrier.

:circle:

My consultation appointment is next week!

:toocool:

That's what's up! I know you must be so excited. I hope you enjoy your consultation and it is a positive one. Let us know how it goes!

msdeevee

Yesterday, 7/25 was my 2 year anniversary with my Sisterlocks. Like most of us say with Sisterlocks “ this is the best hair decision I’ve ever made” I only regret I didn’t do it sooner.

I have not experienced what some call an ugly stage even though I started with only 4” of natural hair. In 2 years my hair went from 4” to now starting to crawl down my back.

I couldn’t be happier with my hair. No products, no combs, brushes, no extensions, no more African Braiders snatching your brains out. No more $200. For human hair then another $200. For them to inflict pain. The last time I had my hair braided by Africans from Mali. I couldn’t take the pain after paying all that money I took them out after 1 week I couldn’t even wait to get home . My DH and I were leaving a convention and I started taking them out as soon as I got in the car on the way home. When I got them all out I had 2 slick bald spots that I was afraid would never grow back but fortunately for me they did. I knew then that I would never put another relaxer in my hair or put myself through the braiding torture again but I would have to do something with my 4b/c hair. On top of that I never felt comfy with other people’s hair in my head. Who knows who they are or what they were into. I chose Sisterlocks and I’m so happy.

I even went to the 25 year Sisterlock celebration in Atlanta in June. Met Dr Cornwell and other brand ambassadors.

Newbies , be patient. You’re hair will go through many changes and you will not regret it.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Yesterday, 7/25 was my 2 year anniversary with my Sisterlocks. Like most of us say with Sisterlocks “ this is the best hair decision I’ve ever made” I only regret I didn’t do it sooner.

I have not experienced what some call an ugly stage even though I started with only 4” of natural hair. In 2 years my hair went from 4” to now starting to crawl down my back.

I couldn’t be happier with my hair. No products, no combs, brushes, no extensions, no more African Braiders snatching your brains out. No more $200. For human hair then another $200. For them to inflict pain. The last time I had my hair braided by Africans from Mali. I couldn’t take the pain after paying all that money I took them out after 1 week I couldn’t even wait to get home . My DH and I were leaving a convention and I started taking them out as soon as I got in the car on the way home. When I got them all out I had 2 slick bald spots that I was afraid would never grow back but fortunately for me they did. I knew then that I would never put another relaxer in my hair or put myself through the braiding torture again but I would have to do something with my 4b/c hair. On top of that I never felt comfy with other people’s hair in my head. Who knows who they are or what they were into. I chose Sisterlocks and I’m so happy.

I even went to the 25 year Sisterlock celebration in Atlanta in June. Met Dr Cornwell and other brand ambassadors.

Newbies , be patient. You’re hair will go through many changes and you will not regret it.

Congratulations on your 2-year anniversary! I love this post. Your thoughts really resonated with me. In regards to your last sentence, earlier today I was looking at some old photos of myself during different stages of when I had Sisterlocks and I am also looking at current photos of my present journey with traditional locks to see the changes my hair went through then and now. I can also tell the moments when I was really unhappy with my hair and its issues with unraveling and slippage.

It definitely helps to document what's happening with pictures, so I try to take some every few days.

It sounds like your hair is thriving with Sisterlocks. How did you grow your hair back after getting the bald spots? I'm back to using sulfur oil to see if it will help my hair again, but any other tips would be great.

Is Dr. Cornwell's hair still super long or has she cut it? I heard she was really nice. Did you know she's launching a Sisterlocks magazine? I got an email about it earlier this week. They probably talked about it at the celebration.

msdeevee

638AF644-6780-4267-BF74-7591D4A4B885.jpeg
Congratulations on your 2-year anniversary! I love this post. Your thoughts really resonated with me. In regards to your last sentence, earlier today I was looking at some old photos of myself during different stages of when I had Sisterlocks and I am also looking at current photos of my present journey with traditional locks to see the changes my hair went through then and now. I can also tell the moments when I was really unhappy with my hair and its issues with unraveling and slippage.

It definitely helps to document what's happening with pictures, so I try to take some every few days.

It sounds like your hair is thriving with Sisterlocks. How did you grow your hair back after getting the bald spots? I'm back to using sulfur oil to see if it will help my hair again, but any other tips would be great.

Is Dr. Cornwell's hair still super long or has she cut it? I heard she was really nice. Did you know she's launching a Sisterlocks magazine? I got an email about it earlier this week. They probably talked about it at the celebration.

My Sisterlocks thrived because I took care of it and I learned patience. I massaged my bald spots with the massager from Vanity Planet. I could not use any oils when I first started but I took the vitamins from Natures Bounty for HSN. I kept my hair clean & I followed my consultants advice. She is now a brand ambassador. I’ve always had strong, resilient hair 4b/c hair which they say is the best for Sisterlocks. However my consultant says myhair is not she says it’s softer than that. When you get your locks you will find that your hair is not what you thought it was.

I started with only 4” because I cut all my hair off because I thought it was so dry and uncontrollable. I just went to the barber & said “cut it off “ & he did. I was to the scalp bald. I had to let the 4” grow back before my Sisterlocks could be installed. If you have issues with unraveling and slippage you probably have very soft hair. You have to be patient with Sisterlocks. They really do go through changes and you have to see it through. If you have a good consultant she will take the Journey with you until they settle.

I just posted on the sisterlocked & lovin it FB site last week I understand it but I hate when I see people say I got installed last week & I can’t wait for my hair to get long. Be patient! I know how it is , I impatiently counted the months til my 1st year and then miraculously after that I forgot all about it and now I’m at year 2 and my locks are settled and beginning to crawl down my back from being 4”.

Now I use a drop or 2 of WGO & JBCO mixed together on my edges and she said when I wash my hair I can use a bit of Argan oil on my scalp and then massage it out to the ends. I still don’t use anything else but a clarifying shampoo& a leave in conditioner maybe 1x a month when I remember. I’ve gotten very lazy with my hair since I had to stop using all the extras that I use to do from following advice on this forum that was never gonna make my hair do what it was never gonna do.

Dr Cornwell’s hair is still very long and mostly grey and beautiful. She is very nice, she took a pic with me & my Cousin who got Sisterlocks after I got mine. If I can figure out how to post pics on this site again I might show it. It’s late. I’ll think about it tomorrow. Plus pics of my progress in 2 years. I think it’s phenomenal.

Ok I did it! That’s me in the mid with Dr Cornwell and my Cuz.

mz.rae

Happy 2 year anniversary!!! :bouncy::congrats: Your hair looks great!!!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
View attachment 433481

My Sisterlocks thrived because I took care of it and I learned patience. I massaged my bald spots with the massager from Vanity Planet. I could not use any oils when I first started but I took the vitamins from Natures Bounty for HSN. I kept my hair clean & I followed my consultants advice. She is now a brand ambassador. I’ve always had strong, resilient hair 4b/c hair which they say is the best for Sisterlocks. However my consultant says myhair is not she says it’s softer than that. When you get your locks you will find that your hair is not what you thought it was.

I started with only 4” because I cut all my hair off because I thought it was so dry and uncontrollable. I just went to the barber & said “cut it off “ & he did. I was to the scalp bald. I had to let the 4” grow back before my Sisterlocks could be installed. If you have issues with unraveling and slippage you probably have very soft hair. You have to be patient with Sisterlocks. They really do go through changes and you have to see it through. If you have a good consultant she will take the Journey with you until they settle.

I just posted on the sisterlocked & lovin it FB site last week I understand it but I hate when I see people say I got installed last week & I can’t wait for my hair to get long. Be patient! I know how it is , I impatiently counted the months til my 1st year and then miraculously after that I forgot all about it and now I’m at year 2 and my locks are settled and beginning to crawl down my back from being 4”.

Now I use a drop or 2 of WGO & JBCO mixed together on my edges and she said when I wash my hair I can use a bit of Argan oil on my scalp and then massage it out to the ends. I still don’t use anything else but a clarifying shampoo& a leave in conditioner maybe 1x a month when I remember. I’ve gotten very lazy with my hair since I had to stop using all the extras that I use to do from following advice on this forum that was never gonna make my hair do what it was never gonna do.

Dr Cornwell’s hair is still very long and mostly grey and beautiful. She is very nice, she took a pic with me & my Cousin who got Sisterlocks after I got mine. If I can figure out how to post pics on this site again I might show it. It’s late. I’ll think about it tomorrow. Plus pics of my progress in 2 years. I think it’s phenomenal.

Ok I did it! That’s me in the mid with Dr Cornwell and my Cuz.

Your hair looks great! Get it, girl! Thanks for the reply.

cravoecanela

One month update! I just did my first retwist yesterday. Since I did my install on the 30th of June (or thereabouts), I've been spritzing my hair daily with a rosewater and oil mix. My locs have already started budding. I think 85 percent of the locs have buds on them. My parts are becoming less visible in the back, and altogether things are progressing nicely ! Here are some pics (sorry if too big) :

I don't wear them down because I'd look crazy :lachen: I'll post some side pics later. The woman told me that I could continue spritzing but I should limit my washing to once a month so that my hair won't get too dry. I washed my twists twice after the install and I'm not sure how I feel about waiting another month to wash again....

For those who maintain their locs at home: how hard was it to learn how to palm roll? Any really good videos that could teach me? I'm moving to a rural area and would need to do some maintenance myself between my visits to nyc.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
One month update! I just did my first retwist yesterday. Since I did my install on the 30th of June (or thereabouts), I've been spritzing my hair daily with a rosewater and oil mix. My locs have already started budding. I think 85 percent of the locs have buds on them. My parts are becoming less visible in the back, and altogether things are progressing nicely ! Here are some pics (sorry if too big) :

I don't wear them down because I'd look crazy :lachen: I'll post some side pics later. The woman told me that I could continue spritzing but I should limit my washing to once a month so that my hair won't get too dry. I washed my twists twice after the install and I'm not sure how I feel about waiting another month to wash again....

For those who maintain their locs at home: how hard was it to learn how to palm roll? Any really good videos that could teach me? I'm moving to a rural area and would need to do some maintenance myself between my visits to nyc.

Congrats on making it past one month!!!! It goes by so quick, doesn't it? That's always exciting. I can't see the pics. I tried on my laptop and my phone and they don't show up on either device. Those spritzes are the truth, innit? I have also been spraying mine almost every day using a mixture of sea salt, lemon juice and water (with the exception of keeping my hair covered for that first week after I started them) and it definitely helped the process along.

If you feel comfortable with washing your hair at the frequency you're doing it now and there aren't any adverse effects I would just continue if I was you. Clean hair and water helps your hair to lock faster. If you're concerned about your hair getting dry then just oil your scalp if you can tolerate oil on your scalp. Otherwise, I think the rosewater spray is getting the job done for you. Steam from the shower will also help, unless you keep your hair covered while you bathe.

How did you retwist your hair initially? I don't palmroll, but maybe someone else can answer that question for you. DXLYN on YouTube (I like her channel) does the loop method but it looks like it also incorporates palmrolling.:

She shows the technique starting at the 4:28 mark if you don't want to watch the beginning. The beginning of the video is just her talking about her husband's progress at 2 years, prepping his hair for the retwist, and what products she uses.

If you want another option, she does a lot of her clients' retwists with no product. There's lots of videos on how she does that. This is one of my favorites.:

This is a different stylist demonstrating the method:

Those videos should be enough to get you started, but if you need anymore help, I will dig some more up for you. I hope that helps!

cravoecanela

Thank you so much @shortycocoa ! The first time I had locks I also palm-rolled. My loctician interlocked a few of my twists with her fingers because they kept coming out, but besides that I've never interlocked. I don't have anything against it, I just don't like straying from what I know. Here are the pics again, this time hosted on imgur:

I woke up today and one side of my head is still rolled while the other side came undone. So confused...

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thank you so much @shortycocoa ! The first time I had locks I also palm-rolled. My loctician interlocked a few of my twists with her fingers because they kept coming out, but besides that I've never interlocked. I don't have anything against it, I just don't like straying from what I know. Here are the pics again, this time hosted on imgur:

I woke up today and one side of my head is still rolled while the other side came undone. So confused...

You are so welcome! I completely understand having a preference to the method you're most comfortable with. I chose interlocking because that's what I know and like and didn't want to use products to retwist. I know that you can retwist without products, but my hair ain't about that life. :lachen:

Your hair looks good!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I had my sisterlocs consultation yesterday and I 98% sure I’ll go through with it. I’m not loving the idea of 2 10hr days but oh well.

The loctician answered all my questions and she was super sweet. She put 2 test locs in to show me the size and how the grid would look. I have to wait until December due to my school schedule though

almond eyes

Hi Ladies,

I am getting sister locks in a few weeks. I shaved last year again and this year so starting with two to three inches of hair. My hair my second consultant said could take over or under ten hours. She has a faded look of sister locks, longer on the top and honey blond and shorter on the sides and darker which I love. I can't do light colors not healthy for my hair.

I have been wanting to lock my hair for 15 years. I knew that I couldn't do traditional locks because of my fine hair and I was never in the States long enough to think about sister locks.

I realize that sister locks is an investment money and time wise. Women who have sister locks take their locks very seriously.

My second consultant is registered as an ambassador for the brand. Initially, that meant nothing to me and then, I realized that before I get my locks, I had better do my research and understand these terms. So, knowing she is an ambassador became even more important. I went to her shop and she showed me pictures of her work and determined the best size for my hair. She gave me an entire hour and explained that the sister lock package comes in three parts.

My first consultant, was not registered on the website and I am not knocking sisterlock consultants who are not able to keep up with their registration. However, with my fine textured hair uh no mam' And you have to be honest with people especially when people are spending money. Once, I spoke to a friend who has a close friend who is a sister lock consultant, I was given a top notch recommendation and was told why it's important to understand what to expect, why someone should have a certification and my responsibilities in keeping my locks in good shape. My first consultant didn't have a book and she seemed like she was winging it, plus this issue of the grid is what separates sisterlocks from other locks. That was my red alarm. Plus if someone isn't that busy, you have to wonder if they are really that good.

My second ambassador consultant was very honest, she said its important that I learn how to retighten so that if ever she is busy or an emergency happens, I am not waiting for several weeks or months to get my reties. She also said that clients get upset with consultants over scheduling, and she explained that she is getting better with making sure that before a client goes in her chair that she knows what they are coming in for. For example, she may book a retie with a client and even though that should in theory last for two to four hours, some clients haven't been in for regular re-ties so that client's re-tie would now take even longer and impact the next client. Or a client will book for a sister lock re-tie and they mean braid locks. So it is so important to work with a consultant that is on top of things and to also be on top of our game. My second consultant which I will now be referring to as my consultant after I get my locks done, does all types of locks and is very knowledgeable in the various methods including extension locks.

She explained to me that sister locks and locks are getting more popular, and so she is very busy and her appointments get booked quickly. My consultant I know must be good, she works seven days a week and to get a place in her chair is not easy unless one is ready to wait a few days or weeks.

She told me I have to do my part which is eat right, drink lots of water, keep up with the re-ties and be mindful of things like saunas, steams, wigs on tops of locks, hand in hair syndrome, products, over manipulation and styling.

Good luck to those starting their sister locked journey.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I had my sisterlocs consultation yesterday and I 98% sure I’ll go through with it. I’m not loving the idea of 2 10hr days but oh well.

The loctician answered all my questions and she was super sweet. She put 2 test locs in to show me the size and how the grid would look. I have to wait until December due to my school schedule though

2 days is nothing!!! I'm sure you will be able to take quick breaks to eat, stretch, etc. It'll be over before you know it. Just think about it like this: if you're serious about getting Sisterlocks and it's a lifelong commitment for you, the install is the first and last time you have to sit for long periods of time. That's what helped me get through my install. Everything else is considerably shorter. A retightening takes about 3 hours on average, if you have a really good consultant and there are no serious issues going on with your locks that need to be fixed that require more time in the chair.

Sounds like you have a good consultant and you are well on your way! December will be here before you know it. Did you put your deposit down already or are you going to wait?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
2 days is nothing!!! I'm sure you will be able to take quick breaks to eat, stretch, etc. It'll be over before you know it. Just think about it like this: if you're serious about getting Sisterlocks and it's a lifelong commitment for you, the install is the first and last time you have to sit for long periods of time. That's what helped me get through my install. Everything else is considerably shorter. A retightening takes about 3 hours on average, if you have a really good consultant and there are no serious issues going on with your locks that need to be fixed that require more time in the chair.

Sounds like you have a good consultant and you are well on your way! December will be here before you know it. Did you put your deposit down already or are you going to wait?
I didn’t put the deposit down because the dates I want will coincide with my the end of my exam period. I need to see what dates I’ll actually have exams before I settle on dates. Then I’ll pay the deposit.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hi Ladies,

I am getting sister locks in a few weeks. I shaved last year again and this year so starting with two to three inches of hair. My hair my second consultant said could take over or under ten hours. She has a faded look of sister locks, longer on the top and honey blond and shorter on the sides and darker which I love. I can't do light colors not healthy for my hair.

I have been wanting to lock my hair for 15 years. I knew that I couldn't do traditional locks because of my fine hair and I was never in the States long enough to think about sister locks.

I realize that sister locks is an investment money and time wise. Women who have sister locks take their locks very seriously.

My second consultant is registered as an ambassador for the brand. Initially, that meant nothing to me and then, I realized that before I get my locks, I had better do my research and understand these terms. So, knowing she is an ambassador became even more important. I went to her shop and she showed me pictures of her work and determined the best size for my hair. She gave me an entire hour and explained that the sister lock package comes in three parts.

My first consultant, was not registered on the website and I am not knocking sisterlock consultants who are not able to keep up with their registration. However, with my fine textured hair uh no mam' And you have to be honest with people especially when people are spending money. Once, I spoke to a friend who has a close friend who is a sister lock consultant, I was given a top notch recommendation and was told why it's important to understand what to expect, why someone should have a certification and my responsibilities in keeping my locks in good shape. My first consultant didn't have a book and she seemed like she was winging it, plus this issue of the grid is what separates sisterlocks from other locks. That was my red alarm. Plus if someone isn't that busy, you have to wonder if they are really that good.

My second ambassador consultant was very honest, she said its important that I learn how to retighten so that if ever she is busy or an emergency happens, I am not waiting for several weeks or months to get my reties. She also said that clients get upset with consultants over scheduling, and she explained that she is getting better with making sure that before a client goes in her chair that she knows what they are coming in for. For example, she may book a retie with a client and even though that should in theory last for two to four hours, some clients haven't been in for regular re-ties so that client's re-tie would now take even longer and impact the next client. Or a client will book for a sister lock re-tie and they mean braid locks. So it is so important to work with a consultant that is on top of things and to also be on top of our game. My second consultant which I will now be referring to as my consultant after I get my locks done, does all types of locks and is very knowledgeable in the various methods including extension locks.

She explained to me that sister locks and locks are getting more popular, and so she is very busy and her appointments get booked quickly. My consultant I know must be good, she works seven days a week and to get a place in her chair is not easy unless one is ready to wait a few days or weeks.

She told me I have to do my part which is eat right, drink lots of water, keep up with the re-ties and be mindful of things like saunas, steams, wigs on tops of locks, hand in hair syndrome, products, over manipulation and styling.

Good luck to those starting their sister locked journey.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Sounds like you had some thorough consulting appointments and all very good advice. I wouldn't exactly write a consultant that is not that busy off or automatically assume they aren't that good.

Some of them are really good at what they do, have been in the game a long time, but end up paring down their client list to a more manageable number so they can provide better service.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I'm retightening my locks. It's been five weeks since my last grooming, and I had my first lock casualty as a result.

At first, I tried to retighten but after a couple rotations the bottom of the lock broke off.

So, going forward, I might not be able to wait that long in between retightenings. I ended up combining the lock that was weak with a thicker, more stable adjacent lock, then wrapping the piece that broke off around the newly combined lock.

I will have to examine my scalp more closely because if I knew that lock had gotten that vulnerable, I would have done my monthly maintenance much sooner. I was going to wait another week, but I'm glad I didn't.

As far as the bulb safety pins, I did use it to take care of some of the fatter locks that don't fit through my yarn needle. It's pretty much giving me the same result as the coil-less safety pins.

I hope I can finish by the end of the night tonight.

Last edited:

cravoecanela

I'm doing a quick tour of eastern europe which included a visit to thermal baths in Hungary. The water has added salts to them which I think is beneficial to the locing process. It was so liberating going in and out of water not worrying about my hair coming undone.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
The appointment went well and less painful than anticipated. Still doesn’t seem like my hair is growing but that’s ok:lachen:

I think every 3-4 months for an appointment will work from here on out

View attachment 433923 View attachment 433925

Girl, what are you talking about???? I can tell your hair has grown and it looks thicker. Especially in the last pic and the ponytail pic. Your hair looks good!

BillsBackerz67

Girl, what are you talking about???? I can tell your hair has grown and it looks thicker. Especially in the last pic and the ponytail pic. Your hair looks good!
Thank you! I see a difference in thickness but not the length at all compared to my pics I took last. I feel like with thicker locs it takes awhile at first to see significant growth in the first couple of years compared to the smaller ones.

Platinum

I haven't had a re-twist since May. I was thinking about getting it done this weekend but I changed my mind. I've been going hard in the gym for the past few months and I don't want to mess up a fresh re-twist. I actually like palm rolling better than interlocking but I might interlock within the next few weeks.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hi ladies! How is everyone? I made it to 4 months locked last week....yay!!! I'm loving how my hair is looking now. I have found some new YouTubers to follow and I have something to share. I don't know if ya'll know Mireille Liong-A-Kong, but I used to follow her back in the day when I first went natural and bought her book. She's having an anniversary sale to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the publication of her book.

She is offering 6 "free" gifts (you have to pay the shipping). I chose all 7 (because there were 7 things at the time), thinking the shipping was a flat rate for everything. It's not. So I just chose the earrings. Everyone must have bought all of the hair growth spray. I chose not to get that because I researched the ingredients and decided I am going to just try to make my own. Plus, I think it's too expensive for 2 ounces of spray.

The link to the site is in the description box of the video. I had no idea she locked her hair because I had stopped following her a long time ago, but I saw one of her videos recently and was surprised.

I'm not sure how long this will be going on. I found out about it last week and meant to post it then, but I've been so busy with back to school stuff for DS 1 that I never did. She changed some of the items being offered, and decreased the price for shipping also.