Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I twisted up DS 2's hair yesterday. I'm going to go ahead and let it lock up. I have contemplated locks for him for a while.

My plan is to let his twists stay for two weeks and then interlock the roots for extra security if they seem to need it.

He has 45 locks.

BillsBackerz67

Your hair is so magnificent! How did you achieve this style? It looks so effortless and chic.

I just saw your locks featured on Starterlocheadz page on IG.... alright now!!!!
Lol thanks! I just found out a few hours ago. I only limit my IG time to 45 minutes per day so I can’t log in until tomorrow:lachen:

And I literally just threw my hair up in a ponytail and tucked the remaining strays and ends in and that’s how it ended up. My hair is still at that weird length where some of the locs cant all fit in the high ponytail yet.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Lol thanks! I just found out a few hours ago. I only limit my IG time to 45 minutes per day so I can’t log in until tomorrow:lachen:

And I literally just threw my hair up in a ponytail and tucked the remaining strays and ends in and that’s how it ended up. My hair is still at that weird length where some of the locs cant all fit in the high ponytail yet.

LMAO....Now Sis....you could have made an exception for that! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: But I get it....It's very easy for me to get lost on IG and YouTube. That was too funny. I can see you with a timer set and everything!

In-between lengths can be so frustrating but you are making it work for you. I use hairpins to secure some of the shorter locks around my hairline when I wear my hair up or attempt to do a style. It works sometimes but some of the hairpins slide out when I move my head.

It can be a pain in the :censored: taking them all out at the end of the day, though. As a result, I try not to use too many.

Lynnerie

@msdeevee Sorry for the late response. You are definitely doing the right thing by changing consultants. It's unfortunate that you would have to be in the chair for that long but it typically just takes trainees longer. And that's not what you signed up for. Hopefully your experience with the new consultant will be better.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
All of the goodies I bought for my hair last week came in. I'm excited! I plan to make a moisturizing spray for my locks, and I added camphor essential oil to my sulfur growth oil that I mixed up a couple weeks ago. I plan on using a rosewater base for the spray, but I still need to order some lavender essential oil to add to it.

I'm going to wait for my locks to mature some more before I put my lock jewelry on. I think my ends are still too large to fit them. In the meantime, I am going to keep looking for the charm-like ones you can attach to the ends or along any part of the lock.

DS 2 has about 2 or 3 starter locks that have already unraveled, so I might be interlocking his roots sooner than I thought. I can't tie his hair down because he keeps yanking the scarf off. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: His hair is already getting frizzy and some of the twists are flat in the back where he lays on his head. Others are sticking up every which way. :infatuated:

Also, I got an e-mail this evening about the Sisterlocks podcast. I haven't listened yet, but maybe I will tonight while I'm winding the kids down for the night or after they go to bed.

You can catch it here:

http://podcast.sisterlocks.com/

I didn't realize they were 9 podcasts in already...and I see a few I want to listen to right away!

Here are the topics and featured guests:

Program #1
"The Creation of Sisterlocks"
Guests: Carol Jenkins, co-founder of Sisterlocks
Release date: (1/5/18)

Program #2
"The Politics of Hair"
Guest: Pamela Ferrell co-founder of Cornrows & Co. and Activist for Hair Freedom

Program #3
"Sisterlocks and Cosmetology"
Guest: Roxanne Ray, Sisterlocks Master Trainer and cosmetology instructor

Program #4
"Hair Care for Hair Loss" (Part 1)
Guest, Cheryl Morrow
Creator of Cosmetic Trichology

Program #5
"Sisterlocks Styles - On 2 Continents"
Guest: Kirigo Kibuga
Sisterlocks Master Stylist

Program #6
"Our National Training Program"
Guest: Michelle Bryant - Sisterlocks National Training Supervisor

Program #7
"Surviving Hair Loss"
Guest, Natacha Augustin
Certified Consultant and
Sisterlocks Trichology Analyst

Program #8
"The Politics of Hair - 2"
Guest: Sheila Everette-Hale
CEO Everette's Natural Hair & Beauty
School & Salon

Program #9
"The Successful Sisterlocks Consultant"
Guest: Cathy Thomas
Owner, Locks of Luv
Escondido, CA

You can also download the podcasts. I'm about to do that now, then back them up to my OneDrive. :look:

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I’ve been locked for 7 months this month. My hair is starting to look like locks now instead of coils. My goal is to take it easy on the styling, pulling and tugging. I mostly just let my hair be, as is. I think this is working. I feel what I think are buds but not always at the end of my hair. Is that typical?

mz.rae

All of the goodies I bought for my hair last week came in. I'm excited! I plan to make a moisturizing spray for my locks, and I added camphor essential oil to my sulfur growth oil that I mixed up a couple weeks ago. I plan on using a rosewater base for the spray, but I still need to order some lavender essential oil to add to it.

I'm going to wait for my locks to mature some more before I put my lock jewelry on. I think my ends are still too large to fit them. In the meantime, I am going to keep looking for the charm-like ones you can attach to the ends or along any part of the lock.

DS 2 has about 2 or 3 starter locks that have already unraveled, so I might be interlocking his roots sooner than I thought. I can't tie his hair down because he keeps yanking the scarf off. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: His hair is already getting frizzy and some of the twists are flat in the back where he lays on his head. Others are sticking up every which way. :infatuated:

Also, I got an e-mail this evening about the Sisterlocks podcast. I haven't listened yet, but maybe I will tonight while I'm winding the kids down for the night or after they go to bed.

You can catch it here:

http://podcast.sisterlocks.com/

I didn't realize they were 9 podcasts in already...and I see a few I want to listen to right away!

Here are the topics and featured guests:

Program #1
"The Creation of Sisterlocks"
Guests: Carol Jenkins, co-founder of Sisterlocks
Release date: (1/5/18)

Program #2
"The Politics of Hair"
Guest: Pamela Ferrell co-founder of Cornrows & Co. and Activist for Hair Freedom

Program #3
"Sisterlocks and Cosmetology"
Guest: Roxanne Ray, Sisterlocks Master Trainer and cosmetology instructor

Program #4
"Hair Care for Hair Loss" (Part 1)
Guest, Cheryl Morrow
Creator of Cosmetic Trichology

Program #5
"Sisterlocks Styles - On 2 Continents"
Guest: Kirigo Kibuga
Sisterlocks Master Stylist

Program #6
"Our National Training Program"
Guest: Michelle Bryant - Sisterlocks National Training Supervisor

Program #7
"Surviving Hair Loss"
Guest, Natacha Augustin
Certified Consultant and
Sisterlocks Trichology Analyst

Program #8
"The Politics of Hair - 2"
Guest: Sheila Everette-Hale
CEO Everette's Natural Hair & Beauty
School & Salon

Program #9
"The Successful Sisterlocks Consultant"
Guest: Cathy Thomas
Owner, Locks of Luv
Escondido, CA

You can also download the podcasts. I'm about to do that now, then back them up to my OneDrive. :look:
I’m going to have to listen to those podcast, they sound interesting. Where do you get your loc jewelry from?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I’ve been locked for 7 months this month. My hair is starting to look like locks now instead of coils. My goal is to take it easy on the styling, pulling and tugging. I mostly just let my hair be, as is. I think this is working. I feel what I think are buds but not always at the end of my hair. Is that typical?

Congratulations on making it to 7 months! I always feel like once someone hits 6 months and after, it's all downhill from there. So when I hit 6 months this month, I'm gonna be like :toocool::drunk::spinning::D:band:.

It's so exciting once the hair starts to look like locks also. @ the bolded, yes...that is typical. Buds can form anywhere along the length of the lock. What types of styles do you normally do on your hair?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I’m going to have to listen to those podcast, they sound interesting. Where do you get your loc jewelry from?

I know, right??? I downloaded all of them yesterday and listened to a few minutes of each one while I was waiting for each of them to download. Also, there's more info about each topic/speaker and their platforms/products, etc. if you scroll down the page of each of the podcasts that you listen to. I had no idea they were planning a Sisterlocks cruise, they're offering a trichology certification and all kinds of other info I'm learning.

So far, I have only looked on eBay for lock jewelry. I saved my search for lock jewelry, so they e-mail me when items match my search, and I'll get alerts that certain jewelry has been discounted. That's what prompted me to take another look at the jewelry from the seller I ended up purchasing from, kamillion44321.

I am going to see if I like anything from the person/seller YaGirlKesi recommended on one of her YouTube videos. I love her! Her locks are amazing and her personality is so fun. The seller's name is Jewels4mylocs on IG. Kesi talks about the lock jewelry at the 4:50 mark if you don't want to watch the whole video. (4:50-6:30):

I know you didn't ask for all this, but nobody told me so I'm going to share it with ya'll. JoyceMD mentioned in one of her videos that you should measure your locks first before you buy the jewelry, and unfortunately I saw her video AFTER I made my purchase and not before. I didn't think to do that, but it makes sense. This is the video here. She talks about measuring the locks at the 1:00 mark:

And lastly, this guy has a video on how to make your own lock jewelry. It looks simple, but the way my crafting ability is set up for small things like this...I might not be able to do it. :lachen: He said whatever you use to wrap the wire around should match the size of your locks.

There were a couple posts upthread where other places were discussed to get lock jewelry, also.

Last edited:

mz.rae

I know, right??? I downloaded all of them yesterday and listened to a few minutes of each one while I was waiting for each of them to download. Also, there's more info about each topic/speaker and their platforms/products, etc. if you scroll down the page of each of the podcasts that you listen to. I had no idea they were planning a Sisterlocks cruise, they're offering a trichology certification and all kinds of other info I'm learning.

So far, I have only looked on eBay for lock jewelry. I saved my search for lock jewelry, so they e-mail me when items match my search, and I'll get alerts that certain jewelry has been discounted. That's what prompted me to take another look at the jewelry from the seller I ended up purchasing from, kamillion44321.

I am going to see if I like anything from the person/seller YaGirlKesi recommended on one of her YouTube videos. I love her! Her locks are amazing and her personality is so fun. The seller's name is Jewels4mylocs on IG. Kesi talks about the lock jewelry at the 4:50 mark if you don't want to watch the whole video. (4:50-6:30):

I know you didn't ask for all this, but nobody told me so I'm going to share it with ya'll. JoyceMD mentioned in one of her videos that you should measure your locks first before you buy the jewelry, and unfortunately I saw her video AFTER I made my purchase and not before. I didn't think to do that, but it makes sense. This is the video here. She talks about measuring the locks at the 1:00 mark:

And lastly, this guy has a video on how to make your own lock jewelry. It looks simple, but the way my crafting ability is set up for small things like this...I might not be able to do it. :lachen: He said whatever you use to wrap the wire around should match the size of your locks.

There were a couple posts upthread where other places were discussed to get lock jewelry, also.
Thanks for posting the videos! I never thought about measuring the locs before getting the loc jewelry. I’m probably going to wait till my two year mark and buy some jewelry. I do want to try cowrie shells I think those always look cute on locs.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thanks for posting the videos! I never thought about measuring the locs before getting the loc jewelry. I’m probably going to wait till my two year mark and buy some jewelry. I do want to try cowrie shells I think those always look cute on locs.

Anytime! I didn't think about that, either....I would just look at pictures of the jewelry and try to guess if it would fit in my hair. :lachen: The pictures seemed to be smaller than the actual pieces, at least in my case. It also helps to look at the pictures close up, if possible.

I thought I looked at the pictures of the jewelry I decided on close enough, but apparently, I didn't notice that the purple bead at the end of one of mine is actually a skull. I thought it was just an indented bead. I'm still going to keep it, though.

I am hoping I can find some jewelry I am looking for to honor my sons and carry them with me in my locks. If not, I may have to make my own.

I like the cowrie shell look, also.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Congratulations on making it to 7 months! I always feel like once someone hits 6 months and after, it's all downhill from there. So when I hit 6 months this month, I'm gonna be like :toocool::drunk::spinning::D:band:.

It's so exciting once the hair starts to look like locks also. @ the bolded, yes...that is typical. Buds can form anywhere along the length of the lock. What types of styles do you normally do on your hair?

I mostly wear it as is with the front swooped over to the side, or pushed back off my face with a headband or half up half down. I’ve put it in a bun a few times for work related presentations. My sister locks looked like a coily wash and go for the longest time due to shrinkage. Now they look like locks. Some have buds in the middle and some have buds at the bottom of my coils. I feel like I’m in the awkward stage of my journey but I’m not complaining. My hair is healthy, my edges have filled in and I am finally free from hours of doing hair. I wish I’d done this sooner.

tolly

I am still here.
@shortycocoa you were right, I should have listened earlier when you advised redoing my starter locs. It wasn't dissatisfaction that prompted my taking down the first set. I interlocked at 6weeks and it went smoothly but the next day I realized it was too tight then tried to reverse the last interlocking bit to loosen up the tightness. The first few worked fine so I did a lot of the really tight bits only to realize I went through the same direction twice on a lot of them and had holes, should have just let them grow a bit to try to correct it ....but reassessed the situation and took everything down at six weeks.
Took a few days break and started over two weeks ago. I should have been 2 months in.....still have about same number and still have size disparity but not as bad as the first installment.
I ordered a nappy tool that didn't get delivered. I will have to continue using the safety pin.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I am still here.
@shortycocoa you were right, I should have listened earlier when you advised redoing my starter locs. It wasn't dissatisfaction that prompted my taking down the first set. I interlocked at 6weeks and it went smoothly but the next day I realized it was too tight then tried to reverse the last interlocking bit to loosen up the tightness. The first few worked fine so I did a lot of the really tight bits only to realize I went through the same direction twice on a lot of them and had holes, should have just let them grow a bit to try to correct it ....but reassessed the situation and took everything down at six weeks.
Took a few days break and started over two weeks ago. I should have been 2 months in.....still have about same number and still have size disparity but not as bad as the first installment.
I ordered a nappy tool that didn't get delivered. I will have to continue using the safety pin.

I'm sorry that happened! This is a common problem for interlockers. I like for mine to be tight, but sometimes if they're too tight I just leave them alone and give them a good rinse in the shower in a few days. That helps loosen them back up. Or you can spray your roots with water or a moisturizing spray.

As for your second issue, it's also common. Here are a couple of videos that may help you address it if it happens to you again in the future.:

Stay encouraged on your journey....it's called a journey for a reason! :bighug:

dyh080

View attachment 433481

My Sisterlocks thrived because I took care of it and I learned patience. I massaged my bald spots with the massager from Vanity Planet. I could not use any oils when I first started but I took the vitamins from Natures Bounty for HSN. I kept my hair clean & I followed my consultants advice. She is now a brand ambassador. I’ve always had strong, resilient hair 4b/c hair which they say is the best for Sisterlocks. However my consultant says myhair is not she says it’s softer than that. When you get your locks you will find that your hair is not what you thought it was.

I started with only 4” because I cut all my hair off because I thought it was so dry and uncontrollable. I just went to the barber & said “cut it off “ & he did. I was to the scalp bald. I had to let the 4” grow back before my Sisterlocks could be installed. If you have issues with unraveling and slippage you probably have very soft hair. You have to be patient with Sisterlocks. They really do go through changes and you have to see it through. If you have a good consultant she will take the Journey with you until they settle.

I just posted on the sisterlocked & lovin it FB site last week I understand it but I hate when I see people say I got installed last week & I can’t wait for my hair to get long. Be patient! I know how it is , I impatiently counted the months til my 1st year and then miraculously after that I forgot all about it and now I’m at year 2 and my locks are settled and beginning to crawl down my back from being 4”.

Now I use a drop or 2 of WGO & JBCO mixed together on my edges and she said when I wash my hair I can use a bit of Argan oil on my scalp and then massage it out to the ends. I still don’t use anything else but a clarifying shampoo& a leave in conditioner maybe 1x a month when I remember. I’ve gotten very lazy with my hair since I had to stop using all the extras that I use to do from following advice on this forum that was never gonna make my hair do what it was never gonna do.

Dr Cornwell’s hair is still very long and mostly grey and beautiful. She is very nice, she took a pic with me & my Cousin who got Sisterlocks after I got mine. If I can figure out how to post pics on this site again I might show it. It’s late. I’ll think about it tomorrow. Plus pics of my progress in 2 years. I think it’s phenomenal.

Ok I did it! That’s me in the mid with Dr Cornwell and my Cuz.

Yes, Dr. Cornwell is very nice. I met her at a natural hair fair in NYC back in the early 90s when she Sisterlocks was new. I eventually got Sisterlocks in '98 but cut them off in 2004. Thinking about locking again.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
How are you ladies posting pictures? Every time I try to post pics I get an error message.

I thought it was just me....I was trying to post pics in another thread using my phone but I got an error message. I came to try doing it using my computer but I got sidetracked. I also can't change my profile pic using my phone; I always have to switch to my computer to upload a different pic.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I wore my cowrie shell earrings with my outfit today. I took them off just now because I realized that some of my hairs were getting caught in them and wrapping around them. I will have to wear my hair up next time I put those on.

I pulled a loose hair out of the earrings and just wrapped it back around one of the locks. Not sure which one it came from.

I water washed my hair yesterday and it was feeling so soft and fluffy. I couldn't keep my hands out of it but I had to force myself to stop playing in it a few times yesterday and just now.

My essential oils came in earlier this week, so I went ahead and added the lavender to my spray. I think I liked it better before I added the lavender. I sprayed some on my hair after I got out of the shower today and my hair is still soft, just not as soft and fluffy today as it was yesterday.

I sprayed DS 2's hair with it this morning and the other day. I also washed his hair for the second time yesterday. I still haven't interlocked his roots; I think I am just going to wait until he hits one month to do it. I just have to pick lint out of his hair almost every day.

msdeevee

To update my consultant dilemma.

I went to my new consultant on Tuesday and everything worked out fine.

She is a Sisterlock brand ambassador. She did my retight in 2 1/2 hours and Charged me 120. 60.00 less than what my other consultant was charging me .

My locks are alive again. She also is very gentle I barely felt her working.

Sometimes we balk at change and are nervous about the unknown but sometimes change can be for the best. I feel great about my hair.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
To update my consultant dilemma.

I went to my new consultant on Tuesday and everything worked out fine.

She is a Sisterlock brand ambassador. She did my retight in 2 1/2 hours and Charged me 120. 60.00 less than what my other consultant was charging me .

My locks are alive again. She also is very gentle I barely felt her working.

Sometimes we balk at change and are nervous about the unknown but sometimes change can be for the best. I feel great about my hair.

That's great! I'm glad you had a positive experience with your new consultant. It sounds like she will be better for you overall, and you are back to feeling good about your hair again. Change can be very good for us; we just have to trust it, let it happen and not be afraid.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
This is S000000000. beautiful.
I just may start to lock my hair again.

Yes, Dr. Cornwell is very nice. I met her at a natural hair fair in NYC back in the early 90s when she Sisterlocks was new. I eventually got Sisterlocks in '98 but cut them off in 2004. Thinking about locking again.

:poke":circle:

Do it, do it, do it!!!! You'd be in good company! :cool::cool::cool:

What are you thinking about in terms of your second set? More Sisterlocks, or something different?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I like my spray again. Maybe the lavender just needed time to really mix in with the other ingredients. It smells really nice. I couldn't really smell it in my hair at first, but I was able to smell it on my fingers after massaging my scalp last night. DS 1's Early Interventionist even complimented DS 2 on how nice he smelled.

Everything else I use on him is fragrance free so it had to be the spray she was referring to.

mz.rae

My retighten was last week and as I was feeling around in my head last week, I noticed a few locs slipping at the roots. I haven’t washed my hair or anything yet so I’m not sure if it’s one she missed. I went to my consultant and she get my hair all together.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I had a bad dream a couple nights ago. Some of my locks fell out!!!! I didn't understand why it was happening or what caused it. The dream felt so real, but I'm glad it was just a dream!

Then yesterday I accidentally let DS 2 get out of my sight for a few minutes. I tore off running upstairs when I realized he wasn't downstairs with us. I found him in the bathroom with my sulfur oil. He had dropped the bottle in the toilet. I got the bottle out, dumped the oil and flushed it down the toilet. Then I threw the bottle in the trash and went to look for another one on eBay. It'll be here Sunday.

So I guess I'm making more oil this weekend. :lachen: