Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Have you tried tea tree oil? I use just a small amount but I find it works wonders for my scalp itchiness.

I actually did last night. I found a previous oil concoction that I made a while ago with jojoba, lavender essential and tea tree oil. I applied that and my scalp feels so much better.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Question: I have one twist that has unraveled a bit on the very end. I don't want to twist it back myself, as I twist a bit differently than she does. Is this a bad idea?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Question: I have one twist that has unraveled a bit on the very end. I don't want to twist it back myself, as I twist a bit differently than she does. Is this a bad idea?

If you think the twist will unravel before you go back to see her then you may as well retwist as well as you can in the same direction she did, otherwise you will have to start that one all over again

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Here is a pic. I guess it is not that bad. I doubt if it will unravel too much further.
ForumRunner_20141211_223625.jpg

Last edited:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Arian i washed my hair about 5 days after locing and moisturized the next day so i think it depends on your hair type. my hair type is NAPPY.:rofl: my hair does not unravel, it prefers to tangle.

7 months in and im like 98.3% locked. i just want them to thicken up. i hate that they're so small.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 173

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Arian i washed my hair about 5 days after locing and moisturized the next day so i think it depends on your hair type. my hair type is NAPPY.:rofl: my hair does not unravel, it prefers to tangle.

7 months in and im like 98.3% locked. i just want them to thicken up. i hate that they're so small.

My hair texture is strange. It's like a cross between fine and coarse- guess it depends on how moisturized the hair is, but it definitely changes frequently. May take me longer to loc. :sad:

Your hair is lovely!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My mom thought they were mini twists and said she liked them. I didn't correct her. The second she hears the word "lock" her opinion will change. I just have to make it through this few days then I'll be set for a few months until I see her again

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Thinking ahead: Can I use the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil line to wash my hair? The shampoo is black, not clear, so I was wondering. It also contains shea butter, so I don't know if it will cause build up.

Locedandloaded

Thinking ahead: Can I use the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil line to wash my hair? The shampoo is black, not clear, so I was wondering. It also contains shea butter, so I don't know if it will cause build up.

I used to use Taliah Waajid Black Earth Shampoo and didn't notice any problems. I don't think it should cause you too many problems. Is it a moisturising shampoo? Does it mention anything about it helping with detangling on the bottle?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I used to use Taliah Waajid Black Earth Shampoo and didn't notice any problems. I don't think it should cause you too many problems. Is it a moisturising shampoo? Does it mention anything about it helping with detangling on the bottle?

No, it says clarify, nourish and grow. It says that it removes build up, so I thought that would be good for locs. It contains apple cider vinegar, which was another plus. :yep:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I want locs but I have commitment issues and super fine hair that barely holds 2 strand twists without unravelling. So I'll just continue to stalk this thread and swoon over other people's locs. Hopefully nobody minds

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I'm due for my first re twist in two weeks. Good thing too--I'm about ready to scratch up my scalp!!! I can't see my parts anymore, so that may be a good sign that I have lots of new growth for twisting. I'll report back with photos after my re twist (unless I have something mind blowing to say before then).

Platinum

I want locs but I have commitment issues and super fine hair that barely holds 2 strand twists without unravelling. So I'll just continue to stalk this thread and swoon over other people's locs. Hopefully nobody minds

KinksAndInk You're welcome here. You may be able to start your locs with braids (Braidlocs). Let us know if you decide to loc!

Platinum

Arian I haven't tried SheaMoisture JBCO line. I use Dudu Osum shampoo and I love it.:yep:

Platinum

I wish I had made the decision to loc my hair when I joined LHCF back in '08. I can't imagine the thousands of dollars I would have saved instead of spending it on weaves, braid extensions, and products that didn't work for me. I wonder how much length that I would have had by now.:ohwell:

Just a few random thoughts...

kandiekj100

Though it didn't really show in pictures, in person my previous color was brassy. So I dyed my hair over the weekend to a darker brown. I miss the contrast in color but I do like this better. However, it does make more difficult to photograph.

reg picture with flash
locs dyed and retwist 1.5 months.jpg

no flash but with filter
locs dyed and retwist 1.5 months (2).jpg

kandiekj100

^^^^your locs look soo soft. They are forming very nicely.

Thanks. It is soft, especially around the edges from my temple to ears, which is quite frustrating. They don't appear to be locking at all, though the rest of my hair is making progress. I can already tell those sections will be the last to loc up.

Platinum

7 months loc'd as of today!:grin: I haven't retwisted since thanksgiving. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do it before New Years Eve or pick a later time.

Shinka

Started my "test" locs two weeks ago DIY with finger coils. I only used aloe Vera gel (clear CVS brand).

I love locs and I don't want to twist and take down hair every two weeks. I've Bc'ed many times over past 12 years, never staying longer than a year natural. I figured with a toddler, it's so simple to retwist my roots every couple of weeks and keep it moving.

I haven't "committed," but decided to take this daily walk to loc without any major announcements. I understand there will be the difficult stages, but I aim to test for a year before I choose to keep it permanently loc'ed.

Within the next month, I might go to a loctician to correct my parting as it's a little off.

Attachments

• image-3542351024.jpg
    image-3542351024.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

ChasingBliss

Started my "test" locs two weeks ago DIY with finger coils. I only used aloe Vera gel (clear CVS brand).

I love locs and I don't want to twist and take down hair every two weeks. I've Bc'ed any times over past 12 years, never staying loner than a year natural. I figured with a toddler, it's so simple to retwist my roots every couple of weeks and get it moving.

I haven't "committed" but decided to take this daily walk to loc without any major announcements. I understand there will be the difficult stages, but I aim to test for a year before
I choose to permanently keep it loc'ed.

Within the next month, i might go to a loctician to correct my parting as its a little off.

WOW, you did those yourself? Nice. If I could go back in time, I'd do it myself too. Hopefully you will stick with it and document your journey. Would love to see the stages play out from baby locs. But I understand you havent fully committed yet.

Platinum

Started my "test" locs two weeks ago DIY with finger coils. I only used aloe Vera gel (clear CVS brand). I love locs and I don't want to twist and take down hair every two weeks. I've Bc'ed any times over past 12 years, never staying loner than a year natural. I figured with a toddler, it's so simple to retwist my roots every couple of weeks and get it moving. I haven't "committed" but decided to take this daily walk to loc without any major announcements. I understand there will be the difficult stages, but I aim to test for a year before I choose to permanently keep it loc'ed. Within the next month, i might go to a loctician to correct my parting as its a little off.

Shinka you did a great job!

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
My first retwist is tomorrow and I am so excited! My scalp cannot wait to feel the water! Will post some photos tomorrow evening. Hope everyone's journey is going well and frustration free!