Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I cut a few more pieces and I'm done now. Leaving it alone now I swear lol. Please dont ever stop posting! All of your info and help is amazing :)

One thing I am noticing is when I'm tying my scarf the coils at the nape are getting all distorted and crunched up when I take the scarf off and my hair is starting to feel a little dry.

Are you satisfied with the results now? I am here for the long haul, so ya'll can't get rid of me in this thread. :lachen: I'm glad all my posts are helpful.

Remember that water/moisture will solve the dilemma of your coils being flat/misshapen from being under the scarf.

If you have some hair pins or bobby pins (even barrettes will do) you can pin the ones along the nape of your neck up and out of the way and then tie your hair up in your scarf. When you're ready to take your hair down, just take the pins out and then lightly spray your hair with water. Your coils should fluff back out and it will give them some moisture. Or the steam and water from the shower will also do the trick.

mz.rae

@shortycocoa thanks for posting that video! There were a lot of cute styles, I can’t wait for when my locs get longer.

Something else I’m just learning about are loc sprinkles. They look so pretty, I’ve been trying to find a person that did them on Sisterlocks/microlos. I probably wont try this till my locs are a little bit more mature.

FlawedBeauty

Are you satisfied with the results now? I am here for the long haul, so ya'll can't get rid of me in this thread. :lachen: I'm glad all my posts are helpful.

Remember that water/moisture will solve the dilemma of your coils being flat/misshapen from being under the scarf.

If you have some hair pins or bobby pins (even barrettes will do) you can pin the ones along the nape of your neck up and out of the way and then tie your hair up in your scarf. When you're ready to take your hair down, just take the pins out and then lightly spray your hair with water. Your coils should fluff back out and it will give them some moisture. Or the steam and water from the shower will also do the trick.
Ok, ok, I snipped a few more!! Now I'm satisfied :lachen: I knew stepping into this I was probably the worst candidate for locs since I am a perfectionist and very impatient. This journey is definitely
going to teach me patience if nothing else.

I'm going to try pinning up that last row at the nape. My coils bounce back after being in the scarf with a light mist of water like you suggested. The ones in the last row at the nape are just all bent like they got into a fight lol. I believe you also suggested to let the steam from the shower plump em back up and I did that as well this morning, worked great.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa thanks for posting that video! There were a lot of cute styles, I can’t wait for when my locs get longer.

Something else I’m just learning about are loc sprinkles. They look so pretty, I’ve been trying to find a person that did them on Sisterlocks/microlos. I probably wont try this till my locs are a little bit more mature.

SpiritedxKulture had a video where she was wearing something that looked like silver beads but they appeared to be inserted through the rounded, sealed ends of her locks. I'll see if I can find it.

But this is interesting though... I've never seen this look before on locks. It definitely looks like something you would have to do when your locks have finished forming.

I was watching all three videos with the volume down low and while I was doing 2 other things, so I couldn't tell if they can be removed or are they considered permanent adornments for the hair?

mz.rae

SpiritedxKulture had a video where she was wearing something that looked like silver beads but they appeared to be inserted through the rounded, sealed ends of her locks. I'll see if I can find it.

But this is interesting though... I've never seen this look before on locks. It definitely looks like something you would have to do when your locks have finished forming.

I was watching all three videos with the volume down low and while I was doing 2 other things, so I couldn't tell if they can be removed or are they considered permanent adornments for the hair?

They can be removed, I seen someone using a seam cutter to cut the thread or hair that the beads are attached to.

@mz.rae I found one of her videos. It's not quite what I described, but it's how I remembered it.

Here's another one (NSFW). She colored her hair with them in.:

I love Spirits locs and that color really looked good on her. I think I’m going to color after my two years in April for an anniversary gift. That’s when I will start experimenting more.

FlawedBeauty

Question about palm rolling. Can they palm roll starter locs on first retwist? Or is that something done once they already started locking?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
They can be removed, I seen someone using a seam cutter to cut the thread or hair that the beads are attached to.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

A seam cutter???? That's a hard pass for me. It sounds really damaging.

@shortycocoa here is the video on removing loc sprinkles.

I didn't know that that is what a seam cutter is. You can tell I don't sew. :lachen: It doesn't look as damaging as it sounds, but I don't think that's for me. I would love to see how yours turns out whenever you decide to do it, though.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Got my retightening done yesterday. My consultant said my locs are forming but my ends in some areas will need more time to close. My edges are filling in nicely. Not yet enough to grip yet because the hair is very fine but enough that I don’t look bald in those areas. :look: And I’m not slaying my baby fine edges. I’m just letting them grow in.

FlawedBeauty

So my starter coils are getting a bit frizzy already. Is it normal for frizz to start this early. I can still see the perfect coils but under a lil bit of frizz. I tried to find some videos on youtube and google but most of the info was on people who were further along in their journey. Maybe it's from the steam or water spritz in the morning.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
So my starter coils are getting a bit frizzy already. Is it normal for frizz to start this early. I can still see the perfect coils but under a lil bit of frizz. I tried to find some videos on youtube and google but most of the info was on people who were further along in their journey. Maybe it's from the steam or water spritz in the morning.

It sounds like your hair is doing just fine! Don't worry about the frizz too much. Trust the process and relax. A watched pot never boils.

FlawedBeauty

It sounds like your hair is doing just fine! Don't worry about the frizz too much. Trust the process and relax. A watched pot never boils.
Yep, this is where the patience part comes in. Lawd this pot is being watched. Seriously, I couldn't even hardly sleep the last couple of days because I couldn't wait to get up and snatch the scarf off so I could see what the little dudes were doing :lachen: Which I already knew was nothing but whatever :lachen: I'm really starting to dig my hair even if it is in the "ugly stage."

However, I am dreading (no pun intended lol) going to work tomorrow because I know all day it's going to be "did you cut your hair?," "oh, what did you do to your hair?" I'm 37 and work in accounting. Been at my job for like 15 years so people are gonna be annoying tomorrow :lachen: I also went and got my nose pierced today too. Small little baby diamond. I'm going in full rebel tomorrow :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Yep, this is where the patience part comes in. Lawd this pot is being watched. Seriously, I couldn't even hardly sleep the last couple of days because I couldn't wait to get up and snatch the scarf off so I could see what the little dudes were doing :lachen: Which I already knew was nothing but whatever :lachen: I'm really starting to dig my hair even if it is in the "ugly stage."

However, I am dreading (no pun intended lol) going to work tomorrow because I know all day it's going to be "did you cut your hair?," "oh, what did you do to your hair?" I'm 37 and work in accounting. Been at my job for like 15 years so people are gonna be annoying tomorrow :lachen: I also went and got my nose pierced today too. Small little baby diamond. I'm going in full rebel tomorrow :lachen:

I was the same way when I had my Sisterlocks....:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You'll slowly start to come out of that the further along you get in your journey. With this set, the excitement is still there, but it's more so excitement of what's to come and anticipating what happens next. I'm also taking note of all the similarities and differences between my first set and my second set of locks.

There is no ugly stage....even though you may feel that in your mind, I am here to tell you that you do not need to speak that negativity into your life, your journey, or your locks. They are going through a metamorphosis, and soon you will see the product of that change, which will be a beautiful head of locks.

I was just telling someone on FB today that we need to erase "the ugly stage" from the locking process entirely, and all of it is beautiful if we take the time to find the beauty in each stage.

As far as your co-workers....they will only be annoying if you allow them to be. Don't let them into your space too much. They have to be invited. Keep it short. (did you cut your hair--yes. What did you do to your hair?--nothing. :look: Or I just wanted a different style/change. Then change the subject. They don't need to know anything else and you don't need to hear their commentary, especially if it will not be positive and help you on your journey.)

That's awesome that you are finding ways of accentuating your beauty. I love it! I have been thinking about getting my nose pierced as well as either a Monroe piercing or lip piercing (been wanting those since 2012) but I haven't done it yet. I was going to experiment with some fake ones first, and I have to find a place to get it done here.

I really should have just done it all at one time, back in 2012 when I was getting a couple other piercings. I chickened out and never went back, though. :lachen:

mz.rae

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

A seam cutter???? That's a hard pass for me. It sounds really damaging.

I didn't know that that is what a seam cutter is. You can tell I don't sew. :lachen: It doesn't look as damaging as it sounds, but I don't think that's for me. I would love to see how yours turns out whenever you decide to do it, though.
The seam cutter makes me nervous too! Lol I’m clumsy and can see myself ripping it right through one of my locs and being super upset. I may try it if I find another way to remove them.

FlawedBeauty

I was the same way when I had my Sisterlocks....:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You'll slowly start to come out of that the further along you get in your journey. With this set, the excitement is still there, but it's more so excitement of what's to come and anticipating what happens next. I'm also taking note of all the similarities and differences between my first set and my second set of locks.

There is no ugly stage....even though you may feel that in your mind, I am here to tell you that you do not need to speak that negativity into your life, your journey, or your locks. They are going through a metamorphosis, and soon you will see the product of that change, which will be a beautiful head of locks.

I was just telling someone on FB today that we need to erase "the ugly stage" from the locking process entirely, and all of it is beautiful if we take the time to find the beauty in each stage.

As far as your co-workers....they will only be annoying if you allow them to be. Don't let them into your space too much. They have to be invited. Keep it short. (did you cut your hair--yes. What did you do to your hair?--nothing. :look: Or I just wanted a different style/change. Then change the subject. They don't need to know anything else and you don't need to hear their commentary, especially if it will not be positive and help you on your journey.)

That's awesome that you are finding ways of accentuating your beauty. I love it! I have been thinking about getting my nose pierced as well as either a Monroe piercing or lip piercing (been wanting those since 2012) but I haven't done it yet. I was going to experiment with some fake ones first, and I have to find a place to get it done here.

I really should have just done it all at one time, back in 2012 when I was getting a couple other piercings. I chickened out and never went back, though. :lachen:
Thanks for all of this!!! I agree with you 100% about the so called ugly phase. Awkward might be a better way to describe it.

I'm up early as this hair and daylight savings got me messed up lol. Only three hours til work so y'all can expect to hear from me shortly after I arrive I'm sure lol.

Go for the lip piercing!! I've always wanted one but I know that definitely wouldn't fly at my job, unfortunately.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
The seam cutter makes me nervous too! Lol I’m clumsy and can see myself ripping it right through one of my locs and being super upset. I may try it if I find another way to remove them.

Exactly....and with Sisterlocks that would be very easy to do since they are so small in diameter. You would have to be extremely careful and use lots of lighting and mirrors so you can see what you're doing from every angle. The safest bet might be to have your consultant put them in and remove them when you're ready. That's IF she doesn't frown upon that. This is a relatively new concept for me, so I'm not sure if they know about it in the consultant world. :lachen:

They'll find out soon enough if and when clients start coming to them for that type of service.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thanks for all of this!!! I agree with you 100% about the so called ugly phase. Awkward might be a better way to describe it.

I'm up early as this hair and daylight savings got me messed up lol. Only three hours til work so y'all can expect to hear from me shortly after I arrive I'm sure lol.

Go for the lip piercing!! I've always wanted one but I know that definitely wouldn't fly at my job, unfortunately.

Awkward, yes. Ugly....no. Daylight Saving Time got my kids messed up too. Hopefully they will adjust soon.

How do they approve nose piercings at your job but not everything else? :lachen:

I'm going to get the other piercings I want, I just have to make it happen. Part of what held me back before was that I was teaching at the time. Apparently, I was setting a bad example because the career counselor would always have something to say about all the students that were refuting her arguments about tongue piercings. :rolleyes:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
OMG.....Harpo, who dis woman?????? She popped up in my autoplay results while I was watching someone else's video but her Sisterlocks are AMAZING! And that grid, though!!!!!! Ya'll know I love seeing a fresh grid. :lachen: I done watched this video three times. I also love the shape of her hair. It really fits her.
Let me go follow her on IG.

FlawedBeauty

So I'm at work and nobody has said anything at all about my hair surprisingly. I know they have no problem commenting because when I got my braids or when I would straighten I would get compliments or questions. The one lady that works with me that has sister locks loves it but that's it. So now I'm all self conscious like is it that bad that nobody is saying anything at all?! :lachen:

FlawedBeauty

Yall, im gonna need to wash my hair soon. My scalp is starting to itch and I know it's got to be from whatever she used to do the coils. I'm going to try and make it until Friday but idk :(

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
2 things- I am beyond due for a reti and my grays are out of control. I noticed more sprinkled around then went looking for my patch and found this. I kind of want to let them do their own thing and go full salt and pepper (I’m in my 30s) but I’m also tempted to do another henna. I love how it turns my grays orange

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
So I'm at work and nobody has said anything at all about my hair surprisingly. I know they have no problem commenting because when I got my braids or when I would straighten I would get compliments or questions. The one lady that works with me that has sister locks loves it but that's it. So now I'm all self conscious like is it that bad that nobody is saying anything at all?! :lachen:

Look on the bright side....you thought they would be annoying and asking you 50-11 questions, and they weren't. At least you didn't have to deal with that.

@ the bolded....understandable....compliments are great, and no compliments at all will have us second-guessing ourselves. Try not to let it wreck your flow or kill your vibe. On this journey, you will learn that you will have to be your own cheerleader when the people you expect to be cheering for you don't. We'll always be cheering for you!

:bighug:
Yall, im gonna need to wash my hair soon. My scalp is starting to itch and I know it's got to be from whatever she used to do the coils. I'm going to try and make it until Friday but idk :(

What products did she use in your hair? Those could be the culprit, or your hair and scalp may just need time to adjust to having starter locks. Especially if you were heavy on moisture and/or washed your hair frequently when you had loose hair.

First, try spraying your scalp with some water and peppermint EO if you have it. Or use a light oil in the areas that are itching. If those suggestions don't help, then rinse your scalp under the shower head using low water pressure. Don't disturb your coils or touch your scalp vigorously and use the fingertips to gently massage your scalp, not your fingernails.

Have you decided what products you are going to use to retwist? If you think the products the stylist used are causing the itchiness, it may not be a good idea to continue using them. Are you going to let the new loctitian maintain them or are you going to do your own retwists?

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
2 things- I am beyond due for a reti and my grays are out of control. I noticed more sprinkled around then went looking for my patch and found this. I kind of want to let them do their own thing and go full salt and pepper (I’m in my 30s) but I’m also tempted to do another henna. I love how it turns my grays orange

I like it! I love seeing salt and pepper hair, especially with locks and natural hair. I have seen some people color their hair to get the grey hair look. Now, THAT'S interesting.

Please remind me, how long does the henna usually last before you have to do it again?

FlawedBeauty

Look on the bright side....you thought they would be annoying and asking you 50-11 questions, and they weren't. At least you didn't have to deal with that.

@ the bolded....understandable....compliments are great, and no compliments at all will have us second-guessing ourselves. Try not to let it wreck your flow or kill your vibe. On this journey, you will learn that you will have to be your own cheerleader when the people you expect to be cheering for you don't. We'll always be cheering for you!

:bighug:

What products did she use in your hair? Those could be the culprit, or your hair and scalp may just need time to adjust to having starter locks. Especially if you were heavy on moisture and/or washed your hair frequently when you had loose hair.

First, try spraying your scalp with some water and peppermint EO if you have it. Or use a light oil in the areas that are itching. If those suggestions don't help, then rinse your scalp under the shower head using low water pressure. Don't disturb your coils or touch your scalp vigorously and use the fingertips to gently massage your scalp, not your fingernails.

Have you decided what products you are going to use to retwist? If you think the products the stylist used are causing the itchiness, it may not be a good idea to continue using them. Are you going to let the new loctitian maintain them or are you going to do your own retwists?
I always washed my hair once a week at least. I might go a day or two over but I always know cuz my scalp starts itching like crazy. I've never used anything in my hair other than oils or creamy leave ins so I'm almost positive the gel she used is causing it. It was Softee jamacian black castor oil gel I think.

I'm not doing my own retwist I'm going to let the new lady handle it this time. I probably won't attempt it on my own until they start to lock and I not worried about unraveling.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I like it! I love seeing salt and pepper hair, especially with locks and natural hair. I have seen some people color their hair to get the grey hair look. Now, THAT'S interesting.

Please remind me, how long does the henna usually last before you have to do it again?

Thanks! For me it’s permanent (my ends still have a brownish/orange tint) so it’s more about keeping up with the new growth