Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
LMAO OMG hilarious!!!

So I'm finally gonna wash my hair today after a week and a few days!!!!!! I'm so excited to wash lol. I have a retwist scheduled for December 1. I think I mentioned that already I can't recall lol

I was just getting ready to ask you how your wash day went! December 1 is right around the corner. I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week.

This was funny!!! Especially the one with the dude.

Yes! I hollered at the ones where she was ready before her friend and the one where the friend was like "just spray water on your hair and come on." :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Locks are so easy breezy though...for real! This morning I took my ponytails down, shook my hair, and my hair looked fabulous. I didn't do anything else to it except put a hair clip in to pin a couple locks down. :lachen:
I absolutely LOVE not spending a lot of time on my hair and my hair still looks good, vs. spending hours and you rolling the dice about the outcome.

FlawedBeauty

I was just getting ready to ask you how your wash day went! December 1 is right around the corner. I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week.

Yes! I hollered at the ones where she was ready before her friend and the one where the friend was like "just spray water on your hair and come on." :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Locks are so easy breezy though...for real! This morning I took my ponytails down, shook my hair, and my hair looked fabulous. I didn't do anything else to it except put a hair clip in to pin a couple locks down. :lachen:
I absolutely LOVE not spending a lot of time on my hair and my hair still looks good, vs. spending hours and you rolling the dice about the outcome.

I will definitely let you know how it goes. I was sick all weekeend. Went to the ER Friday with what I think was food posioning and just started feeling better Sunday. My daughter just moved into her own place so I was helping her yesterday. I'm going over again after work but I told her I'm washing my hair at her house tonight :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I will definitely let you know how it goes. I was sick all weekeend. Went to the ER Friday with what I think was food posioning and just started feeling better Sunday. My daughter just moved into her own place so I was helping her yesterday. I'm going over again after work but I told her I'm washing my hair at her house tonight :lachen:

Oh no! I'm glad you're feeling better. Food poisoning is no joke. @ the bolded.... I know that's right! :lachen:

Guinan

Re-Branding

I can't wait to join the loc community!! I'm not sure if I'm going to start next month or next year. I found the salon that I plan on going to and I know the size and grind that I want. I'm just trying to figure out when.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I can't wait to join the loc community!! I'm not sure if I'm going to start next month or next year. I found the salon that I plan on going to and I know the size and grind that I want. I'm just trying to figure out when.

Whether you start next month or next year, you won't have to wait long. Is there a particular significance attached to each choice? That might help you make your decision.

Also, keep in mind that the holiday season is coming up. It can be a busy and stressful time for some, which may not equate to the best time to start a new lock journey. Depends on how you look at it, though. If you're already a low maintenance person and don't spend a lot of time on your hair, the decision might be easier.

If you wait until next year you would also be bypassing all the people in your circle you will encounter during the holidays asking you questions and making you second-guess yourself.

I'm just thinking out loud, but it would be kind of cool if you started them next month, took holiday pics, and come this same time next year you can see how much your hair has evolved for the next set of holiday pics, and so on.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Whether you start next month or next year, you won't have to wait long. Is there a particular significance attached to each choice? That might help you make your decision.

Also, keep in mind that the holiday season is coming up. It can be a busy and stressful time for some, which may not equate to the best time to start a new lock journey. Depends on how you look at it, though. If you're already a low maintenance person and don't spend a lot of time on your hair, the decision might be easier.

If you wait until next year you would also be bypassing all the people in your circle you will encounter during the holidays asking you questions and making you second-guess yourself.

I'm just thinking out loud, but it would be kind of cool if you started them next month, took holiday pics, and come this same time next year you can see how much your hair has evolved for the next set of holiday pics, and so on.

You nailed it. I've been contemplating on when b/c I know that I'll be super busy but I kinda wanna get started b/c I just feel ready and I just getting more obsessed with it; lol. Right now I have braids which I am in the process of taking out. I figure I could always throw on a wig if I get super uncomfortable.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
You nailed it. I've been contemplating on when b/c I know that I'll be super busy but I kinda wanna get started b/c I just feel ready and I just getting more obsessed with it; lol. Right now I have braids which I am in the process of taking out. I figure I could always throw on a wig if I get super uncomfortable.

I think you just found your answer! If you're ready now, there's no time like the present. But if there is any part of you that is giving you hesitation or pause, even a little bit....there's nothing wrong with waiting a little longer until you are at 100% ready.

I'm so excited for you! I saw that you mentioned earlier that you have figured out what size you want and the grid, but have you decided how you are going to start and maintain them?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think you just found your answer! If you're ready now, there's no time like the present. But if there is any part of you that is giving you hesitation or pause, even a little bit....there's nothing wrong with waiting a little longer until you are at 100% ready.

I'm so excited for you! I saw that you mentioned earlier that you have figured out what size you want and the grid, but have you decided how you are going to start and maintain them?

I want them small and I'm going to get them started using comb coils. I like the grid pattern. I plan on maintaining at the salon for a yr or until they lock. I've been practicing palm rolling but haven't mastered it yet.

I like the pattern of mizriri and dutchess from black ink. Something like below

Attachments

• rps20181113_221119.jpg
    rps20181113_221119.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 36
  • rps20181113_221051.jpg
    rps20181113_221051.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 35

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I want them small and I'm going to get them started using comb coils. I like the grid pattern. I plan on maintaining at the salon for a yr or until they lock. I've been practicing palm rolling but haven't mastered it yet.

I like the pattern of mizriri and dutchess from black ink. Something like below

I LOVE Dutchess and her locks. She was definitely one of my inspirations for wanting to go ahead and lock my hair again in 2012. I was watching Black Ink just to see her locks. :lachen:

And no doubt about it, MissRi's locks are amazing also. Sounds like you have a good plan, only thing left to do now is execute!

FlawedBeauty

Wash day was a success!!! OMG I feel like a new woman :lachen: The relief! My scalp feels wonderful :yay: I used a wave cap to wash and my coils are still in tact.

I know I'm only a lil over a week in but I feel likey hair is never going to loc up. Like I'm just going to have lil frizzy comb coils all over my head forever lol.

The bottom row of my hair at the nape of pretty much not coiled anymore except for at the very ends. I knew this area was going to be a problem because of the texture. I'm debating whether to try and recoil each one myself or just leave it and let the loctician deal with it when I go for my retwist. Sigh.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Wash day was a success!!! OMG I feel like a new woman :lachen: The relief! My scalp feels wonderful :yay: I used a wave cap to wash and my coils are still in tact.

I know I'm only a lil over a week in but I feel likey hair is never going to loc up. Like I'm just going to have lil frizzy comb coils all over my head forever lol.

The bottom row of my hair at the nape of pretty much not coiled anymore except for at the very ends. I knew this area was going to be a problem because of the texture. I'm debating whether to try and recoil each one myself or just leave it and let the loctician deal with it when I go for my retwist. Sigh.

Yay!!!! That's how I feel after I wash my hair sometimes, too. If you feel comfortable coiling them back up, go ahead and do it. Especially since your first retwist is still a couple weeks away, and your hair will continue to get wet when you spray it and when you wash it again.

If it's not going to bother you, then just leave it for your loctitian to fix when you see her again.

@ the bolded....:lachen: :spank: And stop it!!! Your hair will lock. One day you're going to wake up and those frizzy comb coils will be gone.

There was a young lady on FB complaining about her hair as well. She stated that she was 6 months in and she was giving her hair until January to lock and if it wasn't locked by then, she was going to comb them out. We tried to talk her down, and it worked somewhat....but she still said she would extend it to a year and if it wasn't locked she would comb out. We were all incredulous that she actually put a time limit on it. Where's the face palm emoji when I need it???

FlawedBeauty

Yay!!!! That's how I feel after I wash my hair sometimes, too. If you feel comfortable coiling them back up, go ahead and do it. Especially since your first retwist is still a couple weeks away, and your hair will continue to get wet when you spray it and when you wash it again.

If it's not going to bother you, then just leave it for your loctitian to fix when you see her again.

@ the bolded....:lachen: :spank: And stop it!!! Your hair will lock. One day you're going to wake up and those frizzy comb coils will be gone.

There was a young lady on FB complaining about her hair as well. She stated that she was 6 months in and she was giving her hair until January to lock and if it wasn't locked by then, she was going to comb them out. We tried to talk her down, and it worked somewhat....but she still said she would extend it to a year and if it wasn't locked she would comb out. We were all incredulous that she actually put a time limit on it. Where's the face palm emoji when I need it???
I know, I know, they will loc eventually. I'm learning patience, remember?! Lol. As for the bottom row, I'm comfortable coiling it myself, but Im also comfortable just leaving it so I'm going to save myself the aggravation and leave it for the loctician to deal with. I can't wait to go for the first retwist. It's going to fly by with the holidays coming up :yay:

FlawedBeauty

Here is one of those retwist videos I was talking about. If you jump to 5:45 all there are 3 different heads shown about to get their first retwist. None of em look frizzy at all. Is it because they were just washed already?

NSFW language:

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Here is one of those retwist videos I was talking about. If you jump to 5:45 all there are 3 different heads shown about to get their first retwist. None of em look frizzy at all. Is it because they were just washed already?

You might want to put an NSFW warning on this video....I was not ready. :lachen:

I saw frizz, frizz and more frizz on all 3 of those heads. :lachen: I'm sure the frizz was probably more pronounced before their wash, though. You have to also understand that the products he used to wash, condition and deep condition their hair probably minimized the frizz even more. Wet hair is always going to look less frizzy because there's moisture (read: water) there. When that moisture evaporates or is removed via drying and it wasn't replaced or sealed, you get frizz. This is why a lot of loose naturals don't towel dry their hair completely or at all before styling. Or they use something other than a towel to dry their hair so it doesn't frizz, like a t-shirt.

I use pillowcases to blot my hair and DS 2's hair after washing or rinsing. But since I don't use any products on the shaft of my locks or his (besides the rosewater spray), once it dries, the frizz is very prevalent.

FlawedBeauty

You might want to put an NSFW warning on this video....I was not ready. :lachen:

I saw frizz, frizz and more frizz on all 3 of those heads. :lachen: I'm sure the frizz was probably more pronounced before their wash, though. You have to also understand that the products he used to wash, condition and deep condition their hair probably minimized the frizz even more. Wet hair is always going to look less frizzy because there's moisture (read: water) there. When that moisture evaporates or is removed via drying and it wasn't replaced or sealed, you get frizz. This is why a lot of loose naturals don't towel dry their hair completely or at all before styling. Or they use something other than a towel to dry their hair so it doesn't frizz, like a t-shirt.

I use pillowcases to blot my hair and DS 2's hair after washing or rinsing. But since I don't use any products on the shaft of my locks or his (besides the rosewater spray), once it dries, the frizz is very prevalent.
Lol oh sorry!!!! I forgot about the language :lachen: Dang u see frizz? Maybe compared to my own it doesn't look like it. Well gonna keep pushing on. Almost two weeks in :yay:

mz.rae

So when I got my retighten yesterday my consultant said everything looked good. I’m trying to find the loc in my head so I can take an after pic of the loc.

FlawedBeauty

So tell me why it looks like I have 12 years a new growth?! The puffiness is making me second guess my part size. It's making it seem like they are HUGE parts.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
So tell me why it looks like I have 12 years a new growth?! The puffiness is making me second guess my part size. It's making it seem like they are HUGE parts.

:lachen: 12 years, though??? You find the strangest things to complain about. :lachen:

I don't see any issues. Your hair is right on schedule. New growth is always a good thing. I don't see any puffiness along the length of the locks yet, (it's coming) but I definitely see some at the roots. Is that what you're referring to? That's also a good thing. It will go away after your loctician retwists your hair. The parts will also not look as large as they appear after the retwist.

Last edited:

FlawedBeauty

:lachen: 12 years, though??? You find the strangest things to complain about. :lachen:

I don't see any issues. Your hair is right on schedule. New growth is always a good thing. I don't see any puffiness along the length of the locks yet, (it's coming) but I definitely see some at the roots. Is that what you're referring to? That's also a good thing. It will go away after your loctician retwists your hair. The parts will also not look as large as they appear after the retwist.
Lmao!!! I knoooooow, I'm sorry!!! Im so damn anal and afraid I'm not going to like the size or something once they start forming. I guess I'm just trying to make sure everything is perfect (impossible) before they start forming so I don't have to start over. I told I you i was probably the worst type of person to embark on this journey: an anal perfectionist impatient control freak :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Lmao!!! I knoooooow, I'm sorry!!! Im so damn anal and afraid I'm not going to like the size or something once they start forming. I guess I'm just trying to make sure everything is perfect (impossible) before they start forming so I don't have to start over. I told I you i was probably the worst type of person to embark on this journey: an anal perfectionist impatient control freak :lachen:

Well so far, based on how you started out, it seems like you're on the right track. I think your locks will be fine, you just have to wait it out and let your hair go through all the stages it needs to go through to get to where you'll eventually end up. Your hair is going to show you who's boss as the days, weeks, and months progress. So eventually you have to relinquish control. :lachen:

ETA: I would also like to say I will be here to talk you down off the ledge once your hair starts budding. :lachen:

Remember these key points: 1. You didn't start out with super big, square or block parts and 2. as long as your retwists happen not too far apart, I think you will end up with the size locks you want.

Guinan

Re-Branding

That's my fear too. I'm anal & a perfectionist too and I'm afraid the loctician won't give me the size I want. But I'm just gonna trust the process. After the dxlyn video, I'm also afraid of a loctician combing my locs without my knowledge because there too small.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
That's my fear too. I'm anal & a perfectionist too and I'm afraid the loctician won't give me the size I want. But I'm just gonna trust the process. After the dxlyn video, I'm also afraid of a loctician combing my locs without my knowledge because there too small.

I remember that video! I would have been very upset. A person should be able to trust the person who's doing their hair. Sometimes I think I would want to go to get my hair professionally styled but things like that give me pause. Even with clients that have locks these stylists don't act right. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

FlawedBeauty

I remember that video! I would have been very upset. A person should be able to trust the person who's doing their hair. Sometimes I think I would want to go to get my hair professionally styled but things like that give me pause. Even with clients that have locks these stylists don't act right. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.
What happened in the video?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I keep going back and forth with the size that I want. I want a mixture of these two pics below. I love the grid and the neatness of the long locs but I'm thinking I might like the size of kudzy-pep loc. Decisions, decisions... I guess small would be best because I can always combine. I'm thinking 180-200 locs. Missriri has 210, I think, and kudz y-pep has almost 230

Attachments

• rps20181115_172242.jpg
    rps20181115_172242.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 29
  • rps20181115_172613.jpg
    rps20181115_172613.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 29

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I keep going back and forth with the size that I want. I want a mixture of these two pics below. I love the grid and the neatness of the long locs but I'm thinking I might like the size of kudzy-pep loc. Decisions, decisions... I guess small would be best because I can always combine. I'm thinking 180-200 locs. Missriri has 210, I think, and kudz y-pep has almost 230

I like the size of kudzy peps's locks too!