Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Platinum

I haven't seen any recent threads for those of us that have locked our hair so I decided to start one. The purpose of this thread is to offer support those of us who have decided to embark on a loc journey and others who are considering loc'ing. Please feel free to share your experiences, pics, regimen, or even ask questions.

Please answer the following questions:

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
5. What process did you use to start your locs?
6. How do you maintain your locs?
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?

I'm going to answer these questions in another post. In the meantime, I'm tagging a few loc'd members. If you know anyone else who's loc'd, formerly loc'd, or interested in loc'ing, please tag them. Thanks!

ChasingBliss Foxglove *Happily Me*

Platinum

1. How long have you been on your loc journey? Since May 27, 2014

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? I've always loved locs but I made the decision to lock for spiritual reasons.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? For the rest of my life. :)

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? Traditional. Diameter is slightly smaller than a pencil.

5. What process did you use to start your locs? I went to a Loctician who started my locs with 2 strand twists.

6. How do you maintain your locs? I haven't gone back to the Loctician since she started them for me. Although I think the young lady who started my locs did a great job, I feel more comfortable maintaining them myself. I retwist every 6 weeks using the Interlocking (Latching) method.

I haven't used any commercial products since I started my loc journey. I rinse my hair daily with water. I "shampoo" my hair with a baking soda and water solution every 2 weeks. I spritz my hair with a 50/50 Aloe Vera Juice and Water mix daily, seal with EVCO, JBCO, and essential oils. I may try using conditioner once my locs have matured.

I'll add pics this weekend.

ChasingBliss

Since July 17, 2014

Dominican salons jacked my natural hair up, plus wanted to join DH (he's been loc'd for a decade or so)

At this point...for life.

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
Cultivated I beleive.

I dont even know what the process is called. I went to a natural hair salon in Brooklyn on Fulton Street. She did what she called starter locs on my natural hair. They are not two strand twists though and I believe she did back combing.

Well it's only be about 7 weeks for me so far. I washed them for the first time last week. Also I sleep with a satin scarf every night. Still being educated on maintenance (retwisting, etc) I will continue to go to the salon monthly and learn everything I can in the process. At some point I will stop going and maintain on my own.

Jane Carter producs, organic coconut/olive oil mixture ....will give deets when I get home.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I got sisterlocks installed Aug 18-19 of this year. They took 2 days (24h total) to install

I was a loose natural for 4 years but started to dread detangling and manipulating my hair. I also was frustrated because no matter what I did I wasn't retaining like I'd like. After almost 2 years in wigs/braids/weaves something had to give so I did a lot of research and settled on sisterlocks. Another factor in my decision was when I did my wigs/weaves I used kinky/curly hair and I figured if I was dreading detangling this much with my APL hair, by the time my hair reached those lengths I would probably just leave my hair hidden forever instead. I love playing in my hair, I just hate detangling.

At least until I reach WL or hip length

Sisterlocks. I chose them because they have a lot of versatility and I still get to enjoy my curl pattern, I just don't have to deal with detangling anymore

Had them installed by a Sisterlock consultant. They're basically interlocks but with very specific parting and size requirements

I'm due for my first retightening 1 month from install and the one after that 5 weeks later. I have yet to see how often I'll need to go for retightenings but they say 4-6 weeks. In 6 months to 1 year I'll probably take the retightening class so I can do maintain them on my own

I Let the steam from the shower wake them up in the morning or spritz with just water. For the first few months you're not supposed to use anything other than water and the starter shampoo so I haven't used anything else

Platinum

I got sisterlocks installed Aug 18-19 of this year. They took 2 days (24h total) to install

I was a loose natural for 4 years but started to dread detangling and manipulating my hair. I also was frustrated because no matter what I did I wasn't retaining like I'd like. After almost 2 years in wigs/braids/weaves something had to give so I did a lot of research and settled on sisterlocks. Another factor in my decision was when I did my wigs/weaves I used kinky/curly hair and I figured if I was dreading detangling this much with my APL hair, by the time my hair reached those lengths I would probably just leave my hair hidden forever instead. I love playing in my hair, I just hate detangling.

At least until I reach WL or hip length

Sisterlocks. I chose them because they have a lot of versatility and I still get to enjoy my curl pattern, I just don't have to deal with detangling anymore

Had them installed by a Sisterlock consultant. They're basically interlocks but with very specific parting and size requirements

I'm due for my first retightening 1 month from install and the one after that 5 weeks later. I have yet to see how often I'll need to go for retightenings but they say 4-6 weeks. In 6 months to 1 year I'll probably take the retightening class so I can do maintain them on my own

I Let the steam from the shower wake them up in the morning or spritz with just water. For the first few months you're not supposed to use anything other than water and the starter shampoo so I haven't used anything else

Foxglove Thanks for posting! Sisterlocs are beautiful. I thought about getting them but the consultants in my area were too expensive. Keep us posted on your journey.

Platinum

Since July 17, 2014

Dominican salons jacked my natural hair up, plus wanted to join DH (he's been loc'd for a decade or so)

At this point...for life.

Cultivated I beleive.

I dont even know what the process is called. I went to a natural hair salon in Brooklyn on Fulton Street. She did what she called starter locs on my natural hair. They are not two strand twists though and I believe she did back combing.

Well it's only be about 7 weeks for me so far. I washed them for the first time last week. Also I sleep with a satin scarf every night. Still being educated on maintenance (retwisting, etc) I will continue to go to the salon monthly and learn everything I can in the process. At some point I will stop going and maintain on my own.

Jane Carter producs, organic coconut/olive oil mixture ....will give deets when I get home.

ChasingBliss Thanks for posting! I can't wait to hear more about your journey.

ChasingBliss

This weekend I did a ACV/baking soda soak. I filled a bin with warm water sprinkled some bs and about a half a cup of ACV. Then I dipped my entire head in it while massaging my scalp and squeezing my locs. In about 10 minutes, that water was sooooooooo brown my feelings were hurt :lol:

But I was so glad to get all the residue out of my hair. Then I got in the shower and washed my hair with some diluted shampoo.

My scalp felt so clean and my locs looked moisturized and shiny. I will definitley be doing this once per month.

ChasingBliss

Aww come on....a billion women on this site...surely there are more loc wearers :lol:

Anywho, I will be going for my 3rd wash/retwist appointment. I wonder if she will notice that I've been messing with my hair. I've washed twice since I've seen her.... Oh well. Nothing unraveled or looks out of the ordinary soooo.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
This weekend I did a ACV/baking soda soak. I filled a bin with warm water sprinkled some bs and about a half a cup of ACV. Then I dipped my entire head in it while massaging my scalp and squeezing my locs. In about 10 minutes, that water was sooooooooo brown my feelings were hurt :lol: But I was so glad to get all the residue out of my hair. Then I got in the shower and washed my hair with some diluted shampoo. My scalp felt so clean and my locs looked moisturized and shiny. I will definitley be doing this once per month.

I saw somebody post a pic of the water after an acv/baking soda mix. Definitely gonna start doing this once my locs are more mature. I'm afraid of them unraveling

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
Thank you for starting a new thread Platinum. I started this thread last year but decided against starting one for 2014 since it didn't get much response.

I started my locs in May 2012.

I had loose natural hair for about 4 years prior to starting my locs journey. I kinda grew tired of my hair and I was frustrated with styling it so I wanted a change and going back to relaxers was not an option.

Forever :look: :lol: I don't really know but I'm loving the journey so far!

I was very interested in having sisterlocks but decided to go with the interlock method which is very similar. There wasn't a sisterlock tech in my area at the time. I'm very happy with the size of my locks.

I started with two strand twists and eventually interlocked.

I have a very simple regi. I wash my hair once or sometimes twice every week (I live in very hot climate so my hair gets sweaty). My hair is retwisted every 2 months, I plan to do it more often but it never works out that way.

My selection of products is very limited where I live so I use the Jamaican Mango and Lime line exclusively. The products from the line that I use are: Island Oil, Cactus Gro, Protein Conditioner and Tingle Shampoo. I also use organic coconut oil sometimes.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
This weekend I did a ACV/baking soda soak. I filled a bin with warm water sprinkled some bs and about a half a cup of ACV. Then I dipped my entire head in it while massaging my scalp and squeezing my locs. In about 10 minutes, that water was sooooooooo brown my feelings were hurt :lol:

But I was so glad to get all the residue out of my hair. Then I got in the shower and washed my hair with some diluted shampoo.

My scalp felt so clean and my locs looked moisturized and shiny. I will definitley be doing this once per month.

I saw Chescaleigh do this on youtube and wanted to try it on mine. Thanks for reminding me, I'll be doing this soon.

Platinum

BrandNew :wave: Thanks for posting! Hopefully we will stay active in this thread. I know loc'd heads are a minority on this site but I want to be able to rant and rave with other loc'd ladies. Sometimes I feel like our posts are lost in the Random Hair Thoughts thread. Plus I can do without rude or negative comments from other posters who don't see the beauty of our loc'd hair.:yep:

Please feel free to tag other loc'd posters.

jhcprincess

I'm not locked up but just jumping in to say I had nooooo idea that you ladies had locs and I see your posts all the time lol. That's what I get for never being in the hair forum anymore. Does anyone have hair pictures?

MrsMe

BrandNew I wish I could contribute to this thread but I combed out my locs a little over a year ago. After 4 years my locs just didn't suit me anymore.

Sent from my phone...typos and autocorrect galore

Platinum

I don't know why the pics are turned sideways :ohwell: I'll try to edit that post later.

Yesterday. Excuse the crazy look on my face.

image-632862626.jpg

Most of the locs still look like two strand twists on the left side of my head. The right side is locking pretty fast.:ohwell: I don't really have any style options because my hair is pretty short. I usually wear headbands or a tam.

Ms. Alainious

I'm a little late to the party, but I was neck deep in exams :ohwell:

Anyway, here goes:

I started my locs in January of 2012, so just over 2.5 years.

I was tired of bad experiences with relaxers, so I decided to transition. However, I wasn't willing to invest the time to learn which products would work for my loose natural hair. So I got loc'd up :drunk:

As long as I'm still enjoying it. I'm excited to see how long they get. If they start to get too heavy, I can always trim them.

I have small traditional locs.

I had my locs started using comb coils.

I do my own maintenance (stopped going to the stylist after about 5 months). I wash and deep condition every 2-3 weeks and palm roll my new growth. Sometimes I style, but most times I keep it simple (a.k.a. lazy :lachen:)

Shampoo: Drug store cheapy for clarifying, then Shea moisture.
Conditioner: Diluted deep conditioner applied with a spray bottle

Fun fact: I was such a product junkie when I was relaxed, that despite giving away most of my stash and I still have NOT purchased ANY conditioner since I started transitioning almost 4 years ago *hangs head in shame* :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Atdow71

This is my 2nd set of locs. My first set I grew for 10yrs & I cut them in June of 2012 because I wanted loose natural hair. I started this set in January 2014.

I always knew I was going back to locing my hair, I just thought it would be later on down the line, not 1 yr 7 months after my bc. I just love locs, I think they're beautiful & they suit me.

Forever(?) I thought I wanted loose natural hair & once I got my regimen down, it worked for me, but in the back of my mind I always missed my locs.

Traditional/ semi-free form since I don't retwist w/ every wash.

Comb coils

I try to shampoo & dc every week. I moisturize a few times a week. I don't retwist often, but I curl my hair so you can't really tell that I need a retwist.

Water, an oil of choice, taliah Wajid tight hold when I retwist

mallysmommy

I started my journey Feb 16, 2014
I have been a loose natural for about six years now. I wanted to change it up. I was in the military for four of those years and locs are not allowed.
For a while. it depends how things go. I haven't had the best of luck with my hair. It grows very slowly and I am impatient. Also it is very thin. I've wanted to rock a bald fade so maybe after locs I will cut my hair.
eh traditional? I'm not sure. they are thinner than a pencil in diameter.
I did them my self with two strand twists. I didn't measure or make perfect parts. just dug into my hair and started twisting. a lot of my locs vary in size. and they are starting to grow out in mop-toppish way.
I have been very bad to my hair. and haven't done much to them. just recently I have started to moisturize with essentials oils and daily water spritzes. I think I will start to dc weekly to combat some of this dehydration. I rarely retwist.
essential oils (jojoba, almond, olive, shea butter) random conditioners. I retwist with Jamaican Mango and Lime locking gel.

Ivonnovi

I unloc'd in February of this year, but wanted to click and post in here to show my support.

(I unlocked because of my thinning crown)

"Loc On Sista's!"

ChasingBliss

Retwist appointment tomorrow. My hair is growing. I can see that. Is it true that as it locs it will shrink for a while...but then get longer?

Platinum

It's been 6 weeks since my last retwist. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it again this weekend or wait a few more weeks. To piggyback on ChasingBliss question, I think the grow/shrink/grow phase occurs because baby locs swell then become more condensed. I'm starting to see this with my own hair now.

Question: do you have a preference about what you call your hairstyle? Do you prefer "locs" or "dreads"? I was thinking about how anal my ex boyfriend used to be about that. He hated to hear someone refer to his hair as "dreads". My current bf (who is Jamaican) says "dreads". I don't have a preference.

Platinum

I've heard this as well. I was expecting that with my hair anyway since my hair has a tendency to keep shrinking

Foxglove I believe you and I have the same type of hair. I went from shoulder length stretched before loc'ing to ear length after.:sad::ohwell::lol: I'm not going to lie, I can't wait until I get more length, at least to shoulder length again so I can at least be able to have more style options.

ChasingBliss

Foxglove I believe you and I have the same type of hair. I went from shoulder length stretched before loc'ing to ear length after.:sad::ohwell::lol: I'm not going to lie, I can't wait until I get more length, at least to shoulder length again so I can at least be able to have more style options.

Yeah this happened to me too. She warned me that they have to use all of the hair to make a good size starter loc...so bra strap length regular hair for example will be neck length locs. :(

I asked her last week about the shrinking in time as they develop...she said no they don't. They change form but they dont shrink although it may look like they do. I dunno, I hear too many people say there is a shink moment. I guess it's all perception.

As for Platinum 's question, I prefer "locs" I actually cringe inside when I hear the word "dreads"

Last edited: