Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
How would you describe her locs in terms of type, size and number? (If you needed to tell a loctician what kind of locs you want).

I would say pencil sized or a little bit smaller than a pencil, and I haven't checked to see if she has a video of how she started them or if she talks about how she started them, but I can see a clear distinct two-strand twist pattern in some of her locks. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's how she started them. Number, that's a hard one. I guess you would just tell the loctician how many you wanted and then he or she would work it out depending on the characteristics of your hair and how you wanted them started. If I had to guess, I would have said she had about 140-150, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Random question...if I get locs I would love to wear them in twists, flat twists, knots, and/or some curled/wavy style (pipe cleaners, rollers, etc.) or updo style like 90%+ of the time. Is this realistic? Or is this too much manipulation for locs? Would it be too much work to keep up this look?
Not sure if this matters but I have 4c hair, high density, high porosity and medium/fine strands.

I'm not sure if it's realistic based on everyday styling, but whether it's realistic for you (personal you) is going to depend specifically on your lifestyle, dedication, and time constraints. If you lead a busy life and or career or have other demanding obligations in your life and don't have a lot of time or don't want to devote a lot of time to styling, I would say no, it's not realistic.

But if there's somewhere in your schedule where you have blocks and periods of downtime, I'd say you could easily fit in time to do maybe one style a week/4 styles a month. If you are worried about too much manipulation, you can always opt for 2 elaborate styles a month and then 2 low-maintenance styles a month.

Just make sure the styles aren't too tight and tension on your scalp and along your hairline won't cause any issues down the line. I think it's less work to keep up styles like braidouts/twistouts on locks, and the pipecleaner curls or rod styles because you only have to put the time in to set them on the rollers and then after that taking them down and the hair will pretty much stay that way until you wet it again.

Also, consider the fact that with those types of styles, you're basically getting two (or more) styles in one because the pipecleaner roller set can be worn like a style until you decide to take them down, as well as the braids and twists you set your locks into for the braidout or twistout style. Then there's the various styles you can get out of your hair once you do the braidout/twistout besides just wearing them down.

Based on the hair characteristics you mentioned, I think you should be ok. With you having fine strands, I would suggest just making sure you keep your hair strong and also don't braid or pull too tight when you do the styles you mentioned, especially the knots and things like that.

I've seen lots of people on FB discuss that they use styles to preserve the longevity of a retwist, (especially updo's) so I also think this wouldn't be an issue but just take the things I mentioned into consideration when making your decision.

prettywhitty

I keep trying to upload the pic following the directions mentioned upthread but this pic won’t load. I’ll post another later.
I did separate some larger twists to smaller ones so I’m probably around 180 something.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I keep trying to upload the pic following the directions mentioned upthread but this pic won’t load. I’ll post another later.
I did separate some larger twists to smaller ones so I’m probably around 180 something.

Hmmmm....you might have to keep trying again later, resize it or use one of the third-party options some of the other ladies mentioned earlier. Are you sure you didn't get logged out due to inactivity before you tried to post?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hellllloooooo!!! How is everyone doing? I'm counting the days until my retwist Saturday. I'm really praying this loctician can get me all the way together lol. I will be one month in on Friday :yay:

Hi @FlawedBeauty! I know you are counting those days down like nobody's business... Saturday will be here before you know it and then you will be flexing with your fresh retwist.

I attempted another style this morning but again, it didn't come out like I planned. :lachen: I was trying to do a high lock puff with a few locks down in the back on each side, or just the ones on the very bottom.

I have come to the following conclusions:

My hair is thick, but not that thick to support a lock puff. I'm also thinking that maybe it needs to be a little longer first. But not too long, because as my hair gets longer, I probably won't be able to do that style unless it's a curly set. Otherwise it's just a high ponytail and that wasn't the look I was going for.

I might keep trying....this is the second time I have tried that style and both times it didn't work out.

I still wanted a different style, so I ended up with this half up, half down look instead. I'm happy with it. I was feeling myself and my frizzy high ponytail! :lachen:

IMG_20181126_123402.jpg IMG_20181126_123355.jpg

FlawedBeauty

Hi @FlawedBeauty! I know you are counting those days down like nobody's business... Saturday will be here before you know it and then you will be flexing with your fresh retwist.

I attempted another style this morning but again, it didn't come out like I planned. :lachen: I was trying to do a high lock puff with a few locks down in the back on each side, or just the ones on the very bottom.

I have come to the following conclusions:

My hair is thick, but not that thick to support a lock puff. I'm also thinking that maybe it needs to be a little longer first. But not too long, because as my hair gets longer, I probably won't be able to do that style unless it's a curly set. Otherwise it's just a high ponytail and that wasn't the look I was going for.

I might keep trying....this is the second time I have tried that style and both times it didn't work out.

I still wanted a different style, so I ended up with this half up, half down look instead. I'm happy with it. I was feeling myself and my frizzy high ponytail! :lachen:

View attachment 438445 View attachment 438449

Lol your hair looks good! Do you palm roll or freeform? I can't recall what you had said. I had to wash again today. I can't be sitting around trying to stretch washes just because. It leads to me scratching my scalp bloody :nono: I'm going to do more harm than good so from this point on I'm going to be listening to my hair the same way I did when I was loose natural. I was trying to wait until she washed at the retwist but I couldnt take it. I feel 100% better again, no more of this waiting nonsense.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Lol your hair looks good! Do you palm roll or freeform? I can't recall what you had said. I had to wash again today. I can't be sitting around trying to stretch washes just because. It leads to me scratching my scalp bloody :nono: I'm going to do more harm than good so from this point on I'm going to be listening to my hair the same way I did when I was loose natural. I was trying to wait until she washed at the retwist but I couldnt take it. I feel 100% better again, no more of this waiting nonsense.

Thank you! I interlock. I know you didn't ask me all this, but I'm going to explain anyway just in case it will help someone else, and just to give more background and information about my technique and how I'm developing my locks.

I use a 4 pt. rotation normally, but sometimes I only do a 3 pt. rotation on some locks. Mostly because I don't like how my hair lays when I go south and that's the last rotation. So when I know that I'm getting to the last rotation I will skip south and just do the next rotation that's going to allow my hair to lay in the direction I want it to lay. So for example, If I had a lock that needed to be retightened, I would go north, east, west, and then north again. I don't always go that way; I was providing an example for you to follow. Plus, I switch it up all the time because my hair usually tells me which way I need to go.

If I happen to miscalculate how many rotations my hair needs to be tightened to the roots and I do go south, I just correct it by easing my hair out of that rotation and then doing the rotation I need to do (which is usually north and sometimes I even do directions like northeast or northwest to close, even though those directions aren't typically a part of the rotation patterns.) I learned to do that back when I had Sisterlocks also and I was doing my own retightenings.

I tried to post more pics than that (I had at least 4 I was going to post) but I kept getting an error message trying to post the last 2 so I just charged it to the game. There were a couple retightenings when I would wrap some of the frizzy hairs near the bottom of the lock around the tips of the lock but I haven't done that at the last retightening. I was really only doing it to get all the hair at the tip of some of the locks (mostly my fatties :lachen:) to fit through my plastic yarn needle, but since I have gotten super proficient with my coil-less safety pin to retighten those locks, I quit doing that. I also stopped doing that because usually after a couple washes, the hairs come out of that formation. And plus, I like my frizz. :lachen:

I don't freeform, but it seems like my retightenings are getting further apart than what I originally started from, and I'm ok with that.

And you are doing the right thing!!!! Wash your hair when you feel you need it, not based off of some arbitrary schedule. And whatever you do, don't sit there in agony wreaking havoc on your scalp. Remember what we have been saying about water and moisture. Water is your best friend when you have natural hair, and especially locks. Washing and wetting frequently will help the hair lock faster. Also, remember that I told you frequent water and moisture will help regulate your scalp issues. And locks thrive in a healthy, clean scalp. So get your wash on! :lachen:

Even if it's just a gentle wash or a water only wash or a scalp rinse your hair will benefit. Don't forget that. Listen to your hair and she will respond in kind.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I'm really liking this try to do more things with my hair kick that I'm on. So this morning, I put some beads on some of my locks. I'm in the middle of DS 2'S Physical Therapy session so after his therapist leaves I can take some pics and then come back and post.

This morning I also washed his hair since he was overdue for a cleanser wash. ( I alternate water washes and cleanser washes for us.) I took some lint out but he still has some lint that seems to be imbedded into his locks that I will have to work a little harder to get out. I almost retightened his hair this morning but I fought the urge to. Still planning on doing it next week.

FlawedBeauty

I'm really liking this try to do more things with my hair kick that I'm on. So this morning, I put some beads on some of my locks. I'm in the middle of DS 2'S Physical Therapy session so after his therapist leaves I can take some pics and then come back and post.

This morning I also washed his hair since he was overdue for a cleanser wash. ( I alternate water washes and cleanser washes for us.) I took some lint out but he still has some lint that seems to be imbedded into his locks that I will have to work a little harder to get out. I almost retightened his hair this morning but I fought the urge to. Still planning on doing it next week.

Next wash I'm thinking of doing a tea rinse for moisture. I'm a bit worried about just using water for my hair as it tends to make it feel more dry once it dries, and I used to use creamy leave ins but I know that is a no go now. I don't want to start this journey with you dry hair and end up with broken locks :nono:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
ETA: @Guinan

Yay! I'll be rooting for you. It sounds like you are extremely prepared already. I would say just keep the things in mind we already discussed so you can ask about that.

Also, make sure you understand what you are paying for and that there won't be any bait and switch going on in terms of what you paid for and what you expect.

So for example, make sure you explicitly tell them what you want with the pictures to support your vision. It helps to also go with your hair down or easily accessible so the loctician can evaluate your hair in terms of thickness, length, etc. so they can also set their expectations.

So if your hair is in a style, be prepared to take it down. The loctician may not do all that for you. Same goes for your actual install appointment for when they put your starter locks in. Any extra work they have to do outside of the normal install will put them behind and they may bill you for it.

Better yet, ask them how you (mainly your hair) should present on the day you get your locks put in. I started my own locks this second time around, so I can't give you any insight into what to expect there. The other ladies might be able to chime in on that aspect.

I don't know if traditional locticians offer certain packages the way Sisterlocks consultants are trained to do, so also keep that in mind. I said all that to say, they may offer you a shampoo, condition, and then put your locks in for a set price or they may ask you to come with your hair already washed and clean and they're just doing the install part and that service alone may be considerably less.

I washed my hair prior to my SL install the way I was instructed to, and didn't put any conditioner in my hair.

I braided my hair down into plaits and my consultant asked me to take the braids out when I got to her. I'll admit, I felt some type of way that I had to do that. But I assumed she would, and that wasn't the case. I also didn't ask beforehand either.

Also, be sure you ask about the maintenance method they'll be using to maintain your new growth and that they don't stray from that. If you plan to retwist your new growth, make sure the products they use are products you approve of. Don't let them put wax or other things that are not good for locks in your hair.

If they're going to be interlocking your new growth, ask what tool they will be using. You may need to tell them what point rotation you want. If you don't know, you can ask what they recommend. They may decide for you based on your hair type and other characteristics. Or they may ask you to choose after explaining.

Make sure you get an appointment that fits when you want to start your journey. If for some reason, you aren't comfortable with an appointment that is really far out, or anything else you see or learn while you are there, keep searching. Don't feel like you have to settle.

A consultation is just that. No more, no less and no harm, no foul. Pay them for their time, thank them for their time and leave.

Also, confirm prices before you pay for anything and make sure they match up with what you were quoted back when you booked the consultation appointment and are fair in regards to what you feel comfortable paying.

Don't put any deposits down until you are sure you want that loctician. Deposits are usually non-refundable.

Don't feel pressured to pay the deposit, either, especially if you feel like you have other stylists you want to consider. Some stylists will have specials and deals to entice you into doing that, but again, make sure it's a good fit for you first.

Lastly, make sure you are on the same page about follow up visits, how to care for your hair in between appointments, etc.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it went!

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Next wash I'm thinking of doing a tea rinse for moisture. I'm a bit worried about just using water for my hair as it tends to make it feel more dry once it dries, and I used to use creamy leave ins but I know that is a no go now. I don't want to start this journey with you dry hair and end up with broken locks :nono:

I understand! I was all about the conditioners and creamy leave-ins both times before I got locks so I see where you're coming from. Let us know how the tea rinse works for you.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I don't know if I have posted her in this thread yet, but her locks are gorgeous!!!! If I wasn't completely through with handling my hair when I started this set, I certainly would have took my time to do super neat parts. Her grid is beautiful and I love that size as well.

Kaila J:

This second video is where she started from. I like the color, but there's something about black that's so classic and timeless. That's part of what always stops me when I feel like I want color. I would get something that doesn't require bleach.

@FlawedBeauty I thought of you when I saw this video over the weekend. This is a perfect example of what we talked about earlier, regarding how large the parts appear even though her locks are small, but after her retightening everything matches up and her parts don't look large and spacey anymore. You had some concerns about that and I explained that it wouldn't be an issue anymore after your retwist. Now I have receipts to back up and support what I said. :lachen:

ETA: This is her 4 month update. Watching this now.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
My Harpo who dis woman post of the day... I don't know who this goddess is, but her style is so fresh and her skin.... I need her skin care routine ASAP. And those locks....what a transformation!!!

Tanaja RaShon:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Yay! I'll be rooting for you. It sounds like you are extremely prepared already. I would say just keep the things in mind we already discussed so you can ask about that.

Also, make sure you understand what you are paying for and that there won't be any bait and switch going on in terms of what you paid for and what you expect.

So for example, make sure you explicitly tell them what you want with the pictures to support your vision. It helps to also go with your hair down or easily accessible so the loctician can evaluate your hair in terms of thickness, length, etc. so they can also set their expectations.

So if your hair is in a style, be prepared to take it down. The loctician may not do all that for you. Same goes for your actual install appointment for when they put your starter locks in. Any extra work they have to do outside of the normal install will put them behind and they may bill you for it.

Better yet, ask them how you (mainly your hair) should present on the day you get your locks put in. I started my own locks this second time around, so I can't give you any insight into what to expect there. The other ladies might be able to chime in on that aspect.

I don't know if traditional locticians offer certain packages the way Sisterlocks consultants are trained to do, so also keep that in mind. I said all that to say, they may offer you a shampoo, condition, and then put your locks in for a set price or they may ask you to come with your hair already washed and clean and they're just doing the install part and that service alone may be considerably less.

I washed my hair prior to my SL install the way I was instructed to, and didn't put any conditioner in my hair.

I braided my hair down into plaits and my consultant asked me to take the braids out when I got to her. I'll admit, I felt some type of way that I had to do that. But I assumed she would, and that wasn't the case. I also didn't ask beforehand either.

Also, be sure you ask about the maintenance method they'll be using to maintain your new growth and that they don't stray from that. If you plan to retwist your new growth, make sure the products they use are products you approve of. Don't let them put wax or other things that are not good for locks in your hair.

If they're going to be interlocking your new growth, ask what tool they will be using. You may need to tell them what point rotation you want. If you don't know, you can ask what they recommend. They may decide for you based on your hair type and other characteristics. Or they may ask you to choose after explaining.

Make sure you get an appointment that fits when you want to start your journey. If for some reason, you aren't comfortable with an appointment that is really far out, or anything else you see or learn while you are there, keep searching. Don't feel like you have to settle.

A consultation is just that. No more, no less and no harm, no foul. Pay them for their time, thank them for their time and leave.

Also, confirm prices before you pay for anything and make sure they match up with what you were quoted back when you booked the consultation appointment and are fair in regards to what you feel comfortable paying.

Don't put any deposits down until you are sure you want that loctician. Deposits are usually non-refundable.

Don't feel pressured to pay the deposit, either, especially if you feel like you have other stylists you want to consider. Some stylists will have specials and deals to entice you into doing that, but again, make sure it's a good fit for you first.

Lastly, make sure you are on the same page about follow up visits, how to care for your hair in between appointments, etc.

Ma’am, there you go rockin’ out LOUD again. Love it. I read every word.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
My loc consult is tomorrow!!! 2wks just flew by. I know the grid and size that I want. And I have pics. Is there anything else I need for tomorrow? Any questions I should ask?
I just want to add my two cents...I’m a newby obviously. The quoted price included shampoo, deep condition, trim and comb coils. She was fabulous. She also gave me good advice about caring for my coils.

FlawedBeauty

ETA: @Guinan

Lol I would have felt some type of way too if I had to take out my own. Like really ma'am? Is it that much work lol. But I would just have to assume it is for some other good reason.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Lol I would have felt some type of way too if I had to take out my own. Like really ma'am? Is it that much work lol. But I would just have to assume it is for some other good reason.

Yeah, I don't know what the reason was, and I didn't ask. I felt some type of way for a brief moment, and then I chose for it to be over. I didn't want any negativity to shroud the beginning of my Sisterlock journey, so I didn't dwell on it. I think part of it was just that she is always super booked and my install was being done over the course of 4 or 5 days, if I remember correctly. So we were already behind the curve, so to speak, for that reason alone. That first day I woke up super excited and ready, and I braided my hair down the day before with the intention that that would be the last time I would have to manipulate my loose natural hair. It was a celebration and a sigh of relief when I finished that last braid.:

So when I got there and took off my scarf and she picked up the comb like she was going to take the braids out then changed her mind after she was about to start undoing the first braid, I was like:

:lachen:

But it's not like I came in with singles or small box braids....I already knew what it was hitting for, so I had my hair in large plaits so it would be easy to undo. It's been 8 years, but if I remember correctly, after I took the braids out, she combed through my hair again and re-sectioned and parted my hair to establish my grid, then rebraided each section all over again, so that the only section that was out was the section she was working on. Then each time she finished a section of Sisterlocks she would rebraid those sections to keep them out of the way and move on to the next section of loose hair.

At the time, she said my hair was the longest length install she ever did. I forgot to tell ya'll but maybe a month or two ago we were chatting on FB and she told me she still uses my pictures in her consultation materials to show prospective clients. I was surprised. I forgot that she had asked me if she could use my pictures for that back then. :lachen: I asked her if the pics were effective in getting her more clients and she said yes. So I guess it's a win. I saw a post she put up yesterday and she cut her SLs. I was really shocked about that. It's not quite a Caesar but she has a TWA now. The cut looks beautiful on her, though.