Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I’m 7 months in and am frustrated with the fact that my hair grows in layers. I still can’t do a full ponytail because the front locs only come up to midway between my eyes. I really wish they’d hurry up and catch up to the rest of my hair.
I have exactly the same problem! I’ve convinced myself that my hair grows faster when I exercise regular so...:drunk:

Damaris.Elle

I've been using a spray bottle filled with water, a little bit of olive oil, Wild Growth oil and a tiny bit of Oyin handmade's hair dew to mist my hair a few times a week. I seal with a little more olive oil and it's been keeping my hair moisturized. I've also been oiling my scalp with Wild Growth oil.

Evolving78

I retiwsted my hair a couple days ago...
I'm almost 3 years I think.
Feeling good about how its looking now...
Congrats on making it to the 3 year mark! I’m am so grateful to have a full head of hair on my head. But I am at that awkward stage that only makeup and earrings can make me feel less awkward! Lol I have my hair parted on the side. I really like my hair flowing to the back, but I am giving my hair a break from twisting it in that direction.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Reti time only this time around with a 1 month old. Let's see how many weeks this takes me lol

Awwwwwww....your little one is one month old? Already? Wow! Congratulations...girl all I can say is retighten when baby is sleeping and/or napping. That's usually a good block of uninterrupted time to get things done.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I decided yesterday to put in a jet black rinse and retwist my hair. I’m almost finished retwisting. I kept stopping yesterday. I just needed to feel and look a little more polished. Plus, even though I interlocked my hair, I still had hair all over the place. A lot of marrying going on and new growth looked rough imo.

Alright now!!! Not the jet black rinse...lol. I bet it's going to look amazing in the sunlight this spring and summer. Yaaaaaaaassss!!!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I've been using a spray bottle filled with water, a little bit of olive oil, Wild Growth oil and a tiny bit of Oyin handmade's hair dew to mist my hair a few times a week. I seal with a little more olive oil and it's been keeping my hair moisturized. I've also been oiling my scalp with Wild Growth oil.

That's pretty similar to my regimen and a couple other ladies here. We just probably use different products. You can't go wrong with this. My hair always feels super nourished and moisturized. How do you like the Wild Growth Oil on your locks and scalp?

I have never used it as a natural but when I was relaxed I tried it for a little while. I thought it was a good oil and I liked it, but ultimately I decided to stop using it because it never washed out of my hair very well. I don't know if it was too heavy or I was using too much or both. I never revisited but I doubt I will at this point.

Platinum

OMG. I can't believe that it's been almost 6 years since I loc'd my hair. I'm going to shampoo and deep condition this weekend. I want to retwist but I'm still thinking about giving my hair a break. It's getting hot outside so I'm going to do water rinses during the week. I'll probably start wearing my head wraps to keep my hair off of my neck.:burn:

Evolving78

Alright now!!! Not the jet black rinse...lol. I bet it's going to look amazing in the sunlight this spring and summer. Yaaaaaaaassss!!!
Lol! Yeah I corrected the green goblin look I had going on several months ago. I used a red rinse, then used Textures and Tones by clairol semi jet black. That doesn’t have a blue or green base like Adore or some of the other brands. I have colored my hair with a permanent blue black too, but once that started to fade from washing and the new growth kicked in, to keep from using a permanent again, I just use the semi permanent. I plan to color it blue black again next month. I was just tired of looking off black dusty brown.

Evolving78

OMG. I can't believe that it's been almost 6 years since I loc'd my hair. I'm going to shampoo and deep condition this weekend. I want to retwist but I'm still thinking about giving my hair a break. It's getting hot outside so I'm going to do water rinses during the week. I'll probably start wearing my head wraps to keep my hair off of my neck.:burn:
You’ve been in the game for a long time! Congrats!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Wow! Six years! Congratulations!

Damaris.Elle

@shortycocoa I really like it so far...I feel like I'm seeing some growth. I like using it on my locs when it's diluted with water, other oils and the hair dew but I think if I were to use it on my locs without it being diluted, it would leave a residue. I've been using it for a little over 2 weeks now.

My Dr. Locs shampoo came in today and I just finished washing my hair with it. Now I have a hot oil treatment on my hair. This was actually my first time washing my locs on my own. Before, I was worried about my locs unraveling, etc. but there was no unraveling at all today.

It's funny comparing how my wash day was before when I was a loose natural to my wash day now that I have locs. Wash day is SO much simpler now. I still need to re-twist so there's that, but still waaaaay less tedious than when I was a loose natural. It used to take an hour just to detangle my hair before I even got to shampoo. Wash day really used to take all day.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

Congratulations on your six years...woo hoo!!!! I live for water rinses during the warmer months also. Do you wear headwraps when you're on the road or only when you're off?

Platinum

Congratulations on your six years...woo hoo!!!! I live for water rinses during the warmer months also. Do you wear headwraps when you're on the road or only when you're off?

Both.:grin: As a matter of fact, I'm going to start looking for more fabric so I can rock different styles and prints.

My hair loves water and it seemed to grow faster and healthier during the years that I did frequent water rinses. I'm definitely going back to doing them again!

Damaris.Elle

I’d like to know how you like it. Reviews please. Oddly enough, I miss my pj trial and error days...LOL

I liked the shampoo. It lathered pretty easily and I feel like it really got my hair and scalp clean. My hair felt really light after, but it didn't feel stripped. It smells really good too....like lemongrass. It is a little pricey and because of that I'm not sure if I'll buy another bottle once this one is gone. I'll probably look into less expensive options...like the Trader Joe's tea tree tingle shampoo.

Damaris.Elle

For those of you who use henna, how early in your loc journey did you start? I used to love using henna as a loose natural and want to use it on my locs, but it may still be too early...I'm 8 months in.

Evolving78

I’m going to interlock my hair starting today. I finally made it to a year!! I have a lot of loose hair going on at the roots. I only interlocked my hair last month, using a 2-point rotation, then at the beginning of this month I retwisted. My locs are skinny/small so I want to do what I can to maintain them.
So I will interlock this week, then do a retwist in mid-June. So I will interlock 5-6 weeks and retwist in between. I will have to do a light retwist instead of the hard retwist.

I have exactly the same problem! I’ve convinced myself that my hair grows faster when I exercise regular so...:drunk:

I have the same problem. I’m 2 years in and my longest layer is shoulder length but all throughout I have layers. I can’t do a ponytail without pain involved lol I can’t do any updos without the sides falling down idk what to do. Just know you’re not alone.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
@shortycocoa
What rotation do you use for your oldest son? I think his locs are thicker than mine? I comfortable with the 2-point, since I feel it won’t disrupt the size I want to keep and I don’t wanna mess up.

I think you have my oldest and youngest son confused, but it's ok. I interlock my youngest son's hair, or at least I did up until last week. But I typically use a 4-point rotation on his locks and mine.

Last week I tried retightening his locks and he was unbearable. He fought me tooth and nail and I was only able to retighten a few locks on the right side of his head and a couple on the left. I switched to a retwist and he sat perfectly still for that besides a couple times I may have twisted the locks too tight and when I was putting the clips on.

I let it air dry and he slept with the clips in his hair. I thought I did a good job, but it definitely did not last long. His hair is back to looking like I didn't retwist. So I don't know what I'm going to do, but I am leaning on going back to a retightening but maybe doing a 2-point rotation to see if that would be easier for him to sit through. I did do that to a couple of the ones I was able to retighten, but I didn't see a noticeable difference in his hair right away.

For DS 1 I'm still towel rubbing and just separating his locks whenever I can. I have gotten pretty lax with towel rubbing since he's been home from school since March. The other thing I have incorporated is conditioner washing his hair a couple weeks ago. His hair needed the moisture and just drinks it up. Last week I shampooed it first and then used conditioner.

I plan on washing his hair either tomorrow or Wednesday and this time I might leave the conditioner in his hair for a while to see if he will let me separate his locks better that way.

I have started showing him YouTube videos of DXLYN's son getting his hair maintained so he understands and sees the behavior I expect and need him to have while I am doing his hair.

Evolving78

I think you have my oldest and youngest son confused, but it's ok. I interlock my youngest son's hair, or at least I did up until last week. But I typically use a 4-point rotation on his locks and mine.

Last week I tried retightening his locks and he was unbearable. He fought me tooth and nail and I was only able to retighten a few locks on the right side of his head and a couple on the left. I switched to a retwist and he sat perfectly still for that besides a couple times I may have twisted the locks too tight and when I was putting the clips on.

I let it air dry and he slept with the clips in his hair. I thought I did a good job, but it definitely did not last long. His hair is back to looking like I didn't retwist. So I don't know what I'm going to do, but I am leaning on going back to a retightening but maybe doing a 2-point rotation to see if that would be easier for him to sit through. I did do that to a couple of the ones I was able to retighten, but I didn't see a noticeable difference in his hair right away.

For DS 1 I'm still towel rubbing and just separating his locks whenever I can. I have gotten pretty lax with towel rubbing since he's been home from school since March. The other thing I have incorporated is conditioner washing his hair a couple weeks ago. His hair needed the moisture and just drinks it up. Last week I shampooed it first and then used conditioner.

I plan on washing his hair either tomorrow or Wednesday and this time I might leave the conditioner in his hair for a while to see if he will let me separate his locks better that way.

I have started showing him YouTube videos of DXLYN's son getting his hair maintained so he understands and sees the behavior I expect and need him to have while I am doing his hair.
What tool do you use to retighten his locs? I use a plastic crochet needle I turned into a makeshift nappy locs tool. I believe your oldest son’s locs reminded me of mine, but yeah I forgot you were just interlocking the youngest one’s hair. I agree you should try the 2-point rotation on him.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
One of my locks broke off during my wash earlier today. I was pretty distraught about it. I figured out which lock it broke off from, but I didn't reattach to the specific lock. I have saved it and may reattach it to a different lock later on. I still need to watch more videos and practice that skill before I do it to my hair.

But what I did this afternoon is examined a lot of the locks along the left and right front sections of my hair and hairline. I determined that I should probably combine a lot of them so that the base (and the locks) are thicker and more supported so I don't continue having this problem every so often.

I ended up combining 14 locks on the right side and 16 locks on the left. I'm happy with the results. Tomorrow I will oil my scalp and spray my hair with my rosewater mix. I didn't get to do that today, but my hair was still pretty saturated and soft from the wash. I think I am also going to recount to see how many locks I have now. I've been curious about it for a while with the combining and repair during maintenance sessions.

I'm going to post pics tomorrow. I'm sleepy and am ready to unwind for the night.