Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
What tool do you use to retighten his locs? I use a plastic crochet needle I turned into a makeshift nappy locs tool. I believe your oldest son’s locs reminded me of mine, but yeah I forgot you were just interlocking the youngest one’s hair. I agree you should try the 2-point rotation on him.

I use a plastic yarn needle on his hair and a coil-less safety pin on a couple that are too thick to pass through the eye of the yarn needle. I use the same tools in my hair as well.

Evolving78

I finished interlocking my hair a couple of days ago. I didn’t do any coloring, since it didn’t fit into my schedule this week, so I’ll color next month.

the results of the retie are cool. Excited to try a style in the fall.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Spent all this time doing my reti then realized postpartum shedding will probably start soon and I might lose my edges again :cry3:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Spent all this time doing my reti then realized postpartum shedding will probably start soon and I might lose my edges again :cry3:

Ugh...post partum shedding is the worst! I don't think my hair ever completely recovered. Just try to stay on top of your prenatal vitamins and whatever other supplements you're taking that might help. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Oh no! I totally understand how you feel. Hopefully it won’t be too rough. But when it starts, just know it will grow back.
Ugh...post partum shedding is the worse! I don't think my hair ever completely recovered. Just try to stay on top of your prenatal vitamins and whatever other supplements you're taking that might help. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I still have some short ones and a little thinning from the last time. I'm hoping it sticks to the same area but we will see

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Hi ladies! Hope everyone is healthy and safe. I did my own retightening two weeks ago. It was my first time and I think I did a good job. I had to. My loctician upped her price by $40 back in March. Then right before my scheduled May appt called to say the price would be another $50 on top of the new price the because of corona virus. Increase of $90 overall since January!!!!!!! I would have only been 7 weeks post. I cancelled the appointment and did it myself. Took me 4 days and I only had 1 casualty. My mom asked me to do her retightening which I will be doing next week. I’ll be doing my next 2 retightenings. Then will decide if I will go back to my loctician.... IF she goes back to the regular prices.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Hi ladies! Hope everyone is healthy and safe. I did my own retightening two weeks ago. It was my first time and I think I did a good job. I had to. My loctician upped her price by $40 back in March. Then right before my scheduled May appt called to say the price would be another $50 on top of the new price the because of corona virus. Increase of $90 overall since January!!!!!!! I would have only been 7 weeks post. I cancelled the appointment and did it myself. Took me 4 days and I only had 1 casualty. My mom asked me to do her retightening which I will be doing next week. I’ll be doing my next 2 retightenings. Then will decide if I will go back to my loctician.... IF she goes back to the regular prices.

That’s ridiculous I would start looking for somebody new now. The fact that she would price gouge at this time, in this economy when a lot of people are worried about jobs etc
My consultant raised her prices by $30 after a few years but it was bc she moved from her living room to her shop and we also live in a high COL area so I would expect rent to go up at some point
$90 in 4 months she is out of her mind

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Love it! I’ve been a DIY-er since my relaxed days. It’s a process. I’m sure you did a great job!

Evolving78

I bought some blue black hair dye, but I want the blue to standout a little more. I may add a semi perm blue. I think it’s time for me to retwist my hair. Interlocking doesn’t really keep my loose hair at the roots in after washing, but it like it.. I will interlock at the end of June.
I would like to try a new loc’ing gel that gives a little more shine. I love TW Tight Hold, but I want some bling! Lol I wash my hair weekly, so I’m not scared of build up, although I don’t want a sticky product. It’s too hot for sticky locs.

mz.rae

I just had my first Sisterlock retighten in my new city and I am not pleased with the experience at all. First of all she was late to the appointment! And not only was she late, she brought THREE other people to the appointment! No heads up about them coming, no anything. They weren’t even wearing masks or anything! So all five of us are sitting in a salon suite that is probably only meant for two people in the middle of a COVID pandemic.

Then when she does the retighten she isn’t spraying the sections with water prior to doing the rotations so it hurts! I have never seen anyone retighten on dry hair! And then afterwards she didn’t put any oil on the scalp or anything. I left disappointed and upset, it reminded me of horror stories of bad salon experiences back in the day. And the people in my city charge DOUBLE the price I was paying back home. Honestly I wanted/ want to cry, for double the money it wasn’t even worth it. The two people I went to back home were much more professional, charged less, one was even a hairstylist along with doing sisterlocks. And to add another thing the consultant I went to is getting ready to relocate to another city and while there she was going on about she was tired of being in the current city and how she doesn’t like it there. I’m sorry I don’t know about anyone else but when I first move to a new city I don’t want to be around a person that is complaining about said city because I want to experience it for myself. All in all I’m not happy or pleased....

Evolving78

I need to retighten my hair. I’m still trying to understand the point of interlocking. My hair doesn’t last when I wash it, but I know if I did a four point rotation it would, but I don’t want a smaller loc. My locs are small enough. I like the 2pt since it allows the hair to expand a little, but my hair doesn’t stay within the loc, since I wash weekly.

Platinum

I just had my first Sisterlock retighten in my new city and I am not pleased with the experience at all. First of all she was late to the appointment! And not only was she late, she brought THREE other people to the appointment! No heads up about them coming, no anything. They weren’t even wearing masks or anything! So all five of us are sitting in a salon suite that is probably only meant for two people in the middle of a COVID pandemic.

Then when she does the retighten she isn’t spraying the sections with water prior to doing the rotations so it hurts! I have never seen anyone retighten on dry hair! And then afterwards she didn’t put any oil on the scalp or anything. I left disappointed and upset, it reminded me of horror stories of bad salon experiences back in the day. And the people in my city charge DOUBLE the price I was paying back home. Honestly I wanted/ want to cry, for double the money it wasn’t even worth it. The two people I went to back home were much more professional, charged less, one was even a hairstylist along with doing sisterlocks. And to add another thing the consultant I went to is getting ready to relocate to another city and while there she was going on about she was tired of being in the current city and how she doesn’t like it there. I’m sorry I don’t know about anyone else but when I first move to a new city I don’t want to be around a person that is complaining about said city because I want to experience it for myself. All in all I’m not happy or pleased....

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can find a better stylist soon. I miss my old Loctician, she moved back to Miami a few years ago. She was fast, fun, and affordable. I loved her work. I really need my hair done but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go to a salon yet.

mz.rae

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can find a better stylist soon. I miss my old Loctician, she moved back to Miami a few years ago. She was fast, fun, and affordable. I loved her work. I really need my hair done but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go to a salon yet.
Thank you! I’m probably going to just suck it up and go back to my consultant in my hone state it’s just an hour and some change of a drive. I’m not sure I trust the consultants here after this.

Cheekychica

:curtain:

I just read through this entire thread from start to finish (over the past few weeks lol). :drunk: I have my appointment scheduled to get my locs started next month on my birthday (easy locversary). I'll be starting with interlocks, and I'm hoping I have enough hair and density to have smedium/thick locs. :happydance:

I've been doing lots of research (and annoying my loctitian with questions :lol:) and I'm good with the interlock option because I'm a frequent exerciser. This should allow me to wash my hair as frequently as I'll need to (in order to not feel nasty).

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I completed my second retightening on Wednesday. It was much easier this time. I did it over the course of 5 days again, doing a little at a time. I don’t see myself going back to my loctician until she does something about her prices. Is slo did my mom’s locs. She was almost 3 months post retire. :look: It took me 2 days :( but I wanted to be careful so she didn’t lose any locs. I’m so proud of myself.