Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Damaris.Elle

I couldn’t take it anymore and washed my hair last night. I had a product junkie moment and used Neutrogena Clarify & Shine shampoo. I used a creamier conditioner and didn’t remove all of it out of my locs, so I had to shampoo my hair again. I’ll stick to the lighter conditioner and leave-ins.
My stated to get fine bumps on my face and behind my ears, so I knew it was time to wash my hair.

Lol I had a product junkie moment too last night. I shampooed my hair and also used a creamier conditioner. I love how moisturized my hair feels today, but the conditioner did leave a little residue on some of my locs at the ends. I didn't dilute the conditioner at all last night...next time I'll try diluting with water.

Alta Angel

My starter locs are 3 weeks old and they have drawn all the way up. I am trying to enjoy the moment...I am already half way to my first retwist. My hair is so gray that I had to do a middle part to camoflauge. I haven't done that since Aaliyah's Back and Forth video!:lachen:

3 weeks LHCF.jpg

prettywhitty

I have a high ponytail!!! I do have a few pins to hold up the locs that didn’t make into the large ponytail holder but I am so excited!!
Earlier this month I did my first ACV rinse. It did remove some buildup. So random but I’m thinking about trying design essentials peppermint shampoo. Has anyone tried it? Is it good?

Evolving78

I have a high ponytail!!! I do have a few pins to hold up the locs that didn’t make into the large ponytail holder but I am so excited!!
Earlier this month I did my first ACV rinse. It did remove some buildup. So random but I’m thinking about trying design essentials peppermint shampoo. Has anyone tried it? Is it good?
I like that shampoo, but I wouldn’t use it often. It’s drying. I would follow up with one of their moisturizing shampoos. Honey Creme would be the best for locs. The others would leave buildup over time, but they are great for loose hair.

msdeevee

I’m wondering how long I’m going to allow these locs to get. They are currently below the bottom of my bra and they are bothersome. Hubby stated he understands my irritation. I removed seven inches about a year ago. My current hairstyle is to keep it up in a pineapple. Not very chic.

@Transformer , I’m right there with you lady.

I just passed 4 years too and my locks are now bra strap length .

It can be a real problem. I never thought I’d have. These things are so pretty but they are hot in the Summertime and it’s really hot & humid here. I keep mine pineapple’d too on the top of my head.

Anything else is a bother to sleep with and I don’t like the feel on my back when I’m hot. I don’t know how those folks do it with locks down to their knees and below. I’m already considering starting to cut so that I can maintain the length where it is now. On the other hand I want to see how long they will get.

Within reason!

Evolving78

This new loc gel I have is no joke! It’s really a pomade. There are a few locticians I follow use it. It is really giving me the hold that I need. You can’t use this on super damp hair and you only need a little.
I’m using the longer clips today and this is so much better! I’m glad I’m at a length that I can use them. I only have three in my head so far.

I’m only on one section of my hair right now. I needed a break! Separating my locs and dealing with the loose hair takes time and patience. I hope I’m done with my hair by late afternoon.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Congrats! On the high pony. Can’t wait to get there. Let me know how you like the peppermint shampoo. I’m going to have to check it out.

MzSwift

:wave:
Hi y'all!!
I'm back at this again. This time for good. I have texlaxed hair that is very textured. It's coming along with me in this new part of my journey.
I watched a few loc videos on starting with straight hair (even though mine isn't very straight) and I really like DXLYNLOCS's videos. She helped me with also reattaching some of my son's locs that he cut off when he was trying to sneak and do an undercut on his own. SMH, teens. LOL.
I'm so excited! So I'm sorry if this first post is too pic heavy or long. :blush2:

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?
One month, tomorrow. I started them on 7/15 and finished them on 7/19

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?
The time is right in my life right now. I've been over loose hair for the last two years. Even length checks haven't been exciting for me. If I have it out loose, I can only deal with it for a day or two before I braid it up into mini braids or put it away under crochet or wigs. Also we had always planned on homeschooling our little one and my older son will be graduating high school in two years.
After that, we plan to do lots of traveling, road trips and RVing to enhance our son's learning experience. I did not want to be dealing with hair during all of that.
Loccing my hair has always been something I knew I would do anyway.
I wanted to see how long I could grow my hair both natural and relaxed first because I knew that once I locced, I wasn't gonna go back to loose hair.
Having had loose hair for over 10 years (on the HHJ) helped me to learn that locced hair just fits me and my lifestyle.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?
I plan to stay locced as I raise my kids. My youngest is 3. (and DH is baby crazy so who knows if we'll stop with this one)
Nothing is certain but I don't plan to comb out my locs until I start experiencing normal hair loss that comes with age.

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
I have a combination of traditional and cultivated. All small but slightly different sizes.
I prefer a more non-uniformed look so I hope it looks just as good as it starts to grow and form.
I have very fine strands and always experienced flyaways with my mini braids.
I love that look, it's uniquely mine <3 I hope it continues as my locs mature.

5. What process did you use to start your locs?
I had to cultivate my starter locs using the crochet method due to my texlaxed length.
I started the back by just crocheting but they ended up too thin for my liking.
So I twisted the rest of my hair and then crocheted throughout the twists to help knot them up.

6. How do you maintain your locs?
I plan to interlock to maintain. I have interlocked my son's hair since 2009
I started them with interlocking and I'm comfortable with that process.
Our hair does not stay with palm rolling or twisting the roots.
And I enjoy wetting/washing my hair frequently. My hair is so fine that it dries quickly.
Ever since I got this tool, retightenings have been much more fluid.

Loccing Tool

1597755835931.png

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
I use no product to retighten.

I use Dr Woods liquid black soap to wash every few days. I may go back to my shikakai/neem/castile soap tea for cleansing if it's too drying.
I pour on a henna/hibiscus/amla tea mix with lavender oil to condition after washing. I leave that in.

I use a bhringraj and peppermint infused oil mix on my scalp before bed 1-3 times a week.
I use a brahmi/hibiscus/bhringraj and lavender tea spray to moisturize 1-2 times per day.
I use a ceramide/orange oil mix on my length to seal after moisturizing.

I haven't yet decided how or if I'm gonna DC.
I might add some infusium 23 to my daily spray to add in some more protein if the henna and brahmi aren't strengthening enough.

Hair Texture before loccing-
WNG on texlaxed hair

WNG_6.25.20.jpg

Pre-parted to see if I liked the part placement and sizes-

Preparted locs - Edited.jpg

Preparted locs1 - Edited.jpg

The back two crochet only starter locs-

Locs back two.jpg

Starter Locs with texlaxed hair (3 months post relaxer)-

Locs 7.19.20b.jpg

When I installed them, I left my roots pretty loose so I ended up doing my first "retighten" 2 weeks in.
I took me all day because I'm a stay at home mom so I took lots of breaks, but that new tool really helped!
I'm so happy to not have to worry about detangling again!! :clap:
Separating my roots is something I can do while watching TV. I used to have to do it when I rocked mini braids so I'm used to it.

Now, time to go back through the thread to soak in some knowledge. Thank you ladies for sharing your journeys! :grouphug3:

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Have you had an allergy test done?
I have eczema (I don’t get it on my scalp)
But I started getting rashes and losing hair from using and consuming products made from tree nuts, specifically almonds. And Tea Tree oil makes my scalp sensitive and dries it out over time.
I haven’t but I’m certain about the dairy and it’s connection to my flare ups. My daughter has the same issue. Cut the tea tree oil but use the tea mixture. I have had awesome success with the sage, rosemary and nettle teas as a rinse and scalp spray.

Evolving78

The new loc gel I used it’s going to cut it. I’m just going to go back to Tropical Roots. That didn’t leave any flakes or buildup. The new gel is sticky and seems like it will attract lint and debris. Several of my twists have unraveled. I’m going to stretch this retwist for 2 weeks, then wash and retwist again. I might just break down and use some Ecostyler gel. I just need a gel to give me some type of hold until my locs can formulate. At least hold for 2 freakin weeks! The TW tight hold was working well for me, but all of a sudden I started to notice flaking...

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hi y'all!!
I'm back at this again. This time for good. I have texlaxed hair that is very textured. It's coming along with me in this new part of my journey.
I watched a few loc videos on starting with straight hair (even though mine isn't very straight) and I really like DXLYNLOCS's videos. She helped me with also reattaching some of my son's locs that he cut off when he was trying to sneak and do an undercut on his own. SMH, teens. LOL.
I'm so excited! So I'm sorry if this first post is too pic heavy or long. :blush2:

The time is right in my life right now. I've been over loose hair for the last two years. Even length checks haven't been exciting for me. If I have it out loose, I can only deal with it for a day or two before I braid it up into mini braids or put it away under crochet or wigs. Also we had always planned on homeschooling our little one and my older son will be graduating high school in two years.
After that, we plan to do lots of traveling, road trips and RVing to enhance our son's learning experience. I did not want to be dealing with hair during all of that.
I wanted to see how long I could grow my hair both natural and relaxed first because I knew that once I locced, I wasn't gonna go back to loose hair.
Having had loose hair for over 10 years (on the HHJ) helped me to learn that locced hair just fits me and my lifestyle.

I plan to stay locced as I raise my kids. My youngest is 3. (and DH is baby crazy so who knows if we'll stop with this one)
Nothing is certain but I don't plan to comb out my locs until I start experiencing normal hair loss that comes with age.

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?
I have a combination of traditional and cultivated. All small but slightly different sizes.
I prefer a more non-uniformed look so I hope it looks just as good as it starts to grow and form.

I had to cultivate my starter locs using the crochet method due to my texlaxed length.
So I twisted the rest of my hair and then crocheted throughout the twists to help knot them up.

And I enjoy wetting/washing my hair frequently. My hair is so fine that it dries quickly.

Loccing Tool

View attachment 462149

I use Dr Woods liquid black soap to wash every few days. I may go back to my shikakai/neem/castile soap tea for cleansing if it's too drying.
I pour on a henna/hibiscus/amla tea mix with lavender oil to condition after washing. I leave that in.

I use a bhringraj and peppermint infused oil mix on my scalp before bed 1-3 times a week.
I use a brahmi/hibiscus/bhringraj and lavender tea spray to moisturize 1-2 times per day.

I might add some infusium 23 to my daily spray to add in some more protein if the henna and brahmi aren't strengthening enough.

WNG on texlaxed hair

View attachment 462151

View attachment 462157

View attachment 462159

View attachment 462155

View attachment 462153

When I installed them, I left my roots pretty loose so I ended up doing my first "retighten" 2 weeks in.
I took me all day because I'm a stay at home mom so I took lots of breaks, but that new tool really helped!
Separating my roots is something I can do while watching TV. I used to have to do it when I rocked mini braids so I'm used to it.

Now, time to go back through the thread to soak in some knowledge. Thank you ladies for sharing your journeys! :grouphug3:
Love your hair, welcome back. I can’t wait to get to that length.

Evolving78

@MzSwift
When you were last loc’ed did your roots and new growth stay within the loc? I tried interlocking to see if that would help, but all of the new growth shrivels up to the base of the locs and doesn’t stay wrapped around the loc. I like to wash my hair frequently and can’t seem to do with interlocked roots or twisted roots. I don’t remember having this problem years ago, or maybe I think I retwisted my hair every Two weeks?

MzSwift

@MzSwift
When you were last loc’ed did your roots and new growth stay within the loc? I tried interlocking to see if that would help, but all of the new growth shrivels up to the base of the locs and doesn’t stay wrapped around the loc. I like to wash my hair frequently and can’t seem to do with interlocked roots or twisted roots. I don’t remember having this problem years ago, or maybe I think I retwisted my hair every Two weeks?

I'm with you, I like to wet or wash my hair often. It's good for my scalp and my hair.
And I plan to retighten every 3-4 weeks. I don't do mine tight to my scalp though. I just do a few rotations to clean it up. I think that also helps keep the stray hairs at the roots in check a bit. I did that with my son and his locs grew in strong. They only grew weak once I stopped caring for his hair regularly and he started doing a lot of tension hair styles.

I have to find the video, but DXLYNLOCS uses the crochet method to intertwine the short loose hairs into the loc and it works so well!
She uses one of these types of crochet hooks and that's what I use. Got a 6-pack like this from Amazon for like $9:

1597963894175.png

She not only starts a whole loc from loose hair using this tool but she also reattaches any that break off, using this method.

My son actually likes to have a little fro at the roots but I am able to get those interlocked in just fine whenever we retighten.
I don't do much wrapping the hair anymore when I'm tightening it up. I just grab the loose growth with the loc and take it through my interlocking rotations. Then I crochet the loose end into the loc. I hope this makes sense. They don't come loose after that. And I don't do a 4-pt rotation, I usually only do 2 or 3 pt, so they would definitely come back out if I didn't secure it properly.

Sorry if y'all probably know or have seen all of this already, Lol. But she blew my mind when I found her bc everyone else was telling me to use thread or knots to strengthen, repair or reattach thinning locs. None of that worked for us. This method is so simple and minimal and that's what I tend to prefer.

In this video, she's tackling a lot of issues. She's doing a retightening with a ton of repair and reattaching and she blew my mind (I'm still a novice). This is the crocheting I do (minus the added hair) to attach loose hairs to the loc. HTH!

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm with you, I like to wet or wash my hair often. It's good for my scalp and my hair.
And I plan to retighten every 3-4 weeks. I don't do mine tight to my scalp though. I just do a few rotations to clean it up. I think that also helps keep the stray hairs at the roots in check a bit. I did that with my son and his locs grew in strong. They only grew weak once I stopped caring for his hair regularly and he started doing a lot of tension hair styles.

I have to find the video, but DXLYNLOCS uses the crochet method to intertwine the short loose hairs into the loc and it works so well!
She uses one of these types of crochet hooks and that's what I use. Got a 6-pack like this from Amazon for like $9:

View attachment 462275

She not only starts a whole loc from loose hair using this tool but she also reattaches any that break off, using this method.

My son actually likes to have a little fro at the roots but I am able to get those interlocked in just fine whenever we retighten.
I don't do much wrapping the hair anymore when I'm tightening it up. I just grab the loose growth with the loc and take it through my interlocking rotations. Then I crochet the loose end into the loc. I hope this makes sense. They don't come loose after that. And I don't do a 4-pt rotation, I usually only do 2 or 3 pt, so they would definitely come back out if I didn't secure it properly.

Sorry if y'all probably know or have seen all of this already, Lol. But she blew my mind when I found her bc everyone else was telling me to use thread or knots to strengthen, repair or reattach thinning locs. None of that worked for us. This method is so simple and minimal and that's what I tend to prefer.

In this video, she's tackling a lot of issues. She's doing a retightening with a ton of repair and reattaching and she blew my mind (I'm still a novice). This is the crocheting I do (minus the added hair) to attach loose hairs to the loc. HTH!

Yes I watch her sometimes. I thought about getting those hooks. I need 0.5. I have other sizes.
I will try your method. I was using the 2pt method, but was tryin to wait. Even if just 1 pt to keep the strays at bay. Thank you so much! Yes we love our water and washes! Lol

hairsothick

Black and Magical
1. How long have you been on your loc journey? Less than 1 day. Lol.
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? Tired of it taking an entire day to do my hair and another day or two for it to dry. I HATE detangling! Been natural for 10 years and always planned to lock it eventually.
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? Forever
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? Sisterlocks™️
5. What process did you use to start your locs? Sisterlocks™️ technique is basically interlocking
6. How do you maintain your locs? I will be going to my loctitian every 4-6 weeks for a few months, then I plan to learn how to maintain them myself.
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs? I will start off using only water and the Sisterlocks™️ shampoo.

33 hours over 3.5 days, 493 locks total, 10-12 inches of thick, high density hair

Locks.jpg

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hi y'all!!

Loccing Tool

View attachment 462149

WNG on texlaxed hair

View attachment 462151

View attachment 462157

View attachment 462159

View attachment 462155

View attachment 462153

Your hair looks amazing! These are going to be gorgeous as they mature.

Damaris.Elle

Today I added a little bit of Superfoods damage control conditioner to my rosewater and aloe vera juice spray and yaaasss my hair feels so moisturized and I love the scent :love:

I can't believe my 1 year locaversary is next week. I think I'm going to do an apple cider vinegar and baking soda detox treatment to "celebrate" since I have not done one since I started my locs last year.