Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Here's a few pics of DS 1's freshly maintained hair:

View attachment 462843

View attachment 462845

View attachment 462847

I combined a few that would have been too small to be on their own, and I separated and recombined some that were initially 2, 3 or 4 headed dragons. He had huge sections of hair where the locks were super matted together and married. I was able to clean all those sections up and separate the locks. Some of them I left married.

This is what his hair looked like before: (days before wash day)

View attachment 462853

View attachment 462855

View attachment 462857

View attachment 462867

View attachment 462861

After his last wash, about 2 weeks ago:

View attachment 462863

View attachment 462865
So much hair! Bless you, love it!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I always end my rotations going from the 12 to the 6 (think of the directions on the clock). Even if I don’t complete a full rotation I always end this way. That’s how I always know which direction I ended. Hope this helps.

If you mean north, then I do the same. Unless I miscalculate how many rotations I can do on certain locks, then it's usually whatever direction is last before I get back to north, which would be west. I try not to end on south because then the lock would be sticking straight up or close to it. So usually if I can only do three rotations on a particular lock then I would go N, E, and then W or I would just go back N so the locks can lay straight down instead of in a crazy, unflattering direction.

@fifi134 hope this clarifies things and provides more context.

Damaris.Elle

I've really been enjoying water rinses lately. I'm a little sad that I probably won't be able to continue rinsing with water as often once it gets colder out. I'm also noticing that my scalp feels best when I oil it at least a few times a week if not every other day. I haven't bought any more Wild Growth Oil, I've just been using plain coconut oil.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I've really been enjoying water rinses lately. I'm a little sad that I probably won't be able to continue rinsing with water as often once it gets colder out. I'm also noticing that my scalp feels best when I oil it at least a few times a week if not every other day. I haven't bought any more Wild Growth Oil, I've just been using plain coconut oil.

Yaaaaaaaassss! I live by both of these! I missed doing it yesterday as planned. I don't always rinse my scalp though....only if I feel like it's extra dry and needs it. I usually just allow my locks to get wet and then seal with oil when I get out the shower.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hi Everyone!!!!!!

I finally renewed my subscription. I'm still Loced and my locs are doing well. I dyed them a couple of months ago using cream of nature. I need to touch up the color, but won't do that until October. I'm glad to see that everyone else's locs are thriving.

I'll upload some pics later on

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Today, I had the thought that my locs are not growing fast enough. They have been at this length for some time (or maybe I am not noticing that they are actually growing).
My retwists do not last long at all. So I keep braidouts and curls.

I want to schedule a photo shoot when my hair turns 7 next year. Kinda regret the cut from way back...random thoughts.
DAE20B3D-4600-455F-9397-E5E50C22843A.jpeg

imaginary

Hi all :wavey:

1. How long have you been on your loc journey? Since Sep.16.2020 so about 3 days

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? I feel like I've gotten most of the experiences I wanted out of being natural. The only thing I didn't manage was to bleach it, but my hair was honestly too damaged (mostly from all my experiments over the past year or two with heat styling and keratin treatments) to manage it and I knew I didn't want to spend another year nursing my loose natural hair back to full health. I've been taking care of my own natural hair for over 12years and I've been quite ready to do something different. It was either going to be relaxed or locs and I knew I didn't want to commit to the baby-ing that relaxing would require.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? No time limit really. For the foreseeable future.

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? Sisterlocs

5. What process did you use to start your locs? I went to a loctician who installed my locs over the course of 3 days. But before I started the process I went and got a significant trim (4in or so) to get rid of my damaged ends. Luckily it still left me with some length to work with.

6. How do you maintain your locs? Still working that out

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs? still working that out. I know I want to continue incorporating my tea sprays and FRW sprays/rinses. But I also don't want to cause any slippage if I don't need to.

Before cut: View media item 130679After cut: View media item 130683Locced: View media item 130681

Damaris.Elle

Just finished my wash day and I re-twisted. My re-twists are a lot easier now and I finish faster than I used to...It took me a little less than an hour and a half today to finish my re-twist. I need to take pictures soon since my locs are now officially 1 year old..but I've been so lazy about taking pictures lately. I do feel like I'm starting to get some noticeable length.

Evolving78

I still haven't done anything to my hair yet.:wallbash: Am I the only one who feels like your scalp isn't really clean unless you do your own shampooing?
I wanna wash my hair, but the way my roots are set up..That’s gonna be a problem! I love getting my hair washed. I have never had a professional loc wash before. From the videos I have seen, a lot of stylists don’t shampoo locs very well.