Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Platinum

I wanna wash my hair, but the way my roots are set up..That’s gonna be a problem! I love getting my hair washed. I have never had a professional loc wash before. From the videos I have seen, a lot of stylists don’t shampoo locs very well.

I love to do my hair but it seems like it takes soooo long. I thought about booking an appointment this time but it seems like all of the stylists that I have gone to, shampoo my locs really well but my scalp doesn't feel as clean as I'd like. :(

Evolving78

I love to do my hair but it seems like it takes soooo long. I thought about booking an appointment this time but it seems like all of the stylists that I have gone to, shampoo my locs really well but my scalp doesn't feel as clean as I'd like. :(
That’s the best part of the experience! You think they are scared to mess up your parts?

HisBestFriend

I want to get opinions from those with Sisterlocks. I think that they are too big to be on the perimeter of my head. I do understand that they are just test locs and could very well be taken down as she determines my loc pattern.

These test locs fit the description of Sisterlock - large. But I'd like to ask my consultant to make them medium to small, specifically small on the perimeter - which is what she said is the process. I want to be clear with her on my expectations at the start and then be properly informed if my expectations are not reasonable.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Test Locks.jpg

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I still haven't done anything to my hair yet.:wallbash: Am I the only one who feels like your scalp isn't really clean unless you do your own shampooing?

I'm the same way. My stylist's shampoo person is always leaving some sort of residue in my hair. I only feel like my scalp is really clean when I wash it myself w/ Dr. Bonner's.

imaginary

I want to get opinions from those with Sisterlocks. I think that they are too big to be on the perimeter of my head. I do understand that they are just test locs and could very well be taken down as she determines my loc pattern.

These test locs fit the description of Sisterlock - large. But I'd like to ask my consultant to make them medium to small, specifically small on the perimeter - which is what she said is the process. I want to be clear with her on my expectations at the start and then be properly informed if my expectations are not reasonable.

View attachment 463545

I'm no expert but when I did mine, my consultant explained to me that because my edges and perimeter were so fine, she had to make them slightly larger so that they'd be structurally sound. Too small and they'd break too easily (especially as they'll swell and then contract over time). I'd recommend getting a second opinion for sure. I did that mainly because I didn't like the process the first loctitian described to me and I was very concerned for my edges.

In my (again- super super uneducated) opinion those look way too big for sisterlocs.

Evolving78

View attachment 463545
I don’t have sisterlocks, but I have micro traditional locs. I think your locs are a good size. Your hair is going to expand then condense and smaller sisterlocks are fragile. You can’t skip retightenings and if too small, you may have to combine later.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hey y'all! DS 2's locks will be 2 years old tomorrow. The other day I sprayed his locks with my rosewater mix, followed up with oil, and wrapped some of the loose hairs that have came out of the base of some of his locks back around the length of the locks. Some of his roots are still fuzzy but that's to be expected due to his hair type/texture and I don't cover his hair. I need to go ahead and get both boys something to start tying their hair up at night with.

As for DS 1, the interlocked parts of his hair have thickened up and are doing their thing. I still have no clue how many locks he has, but I will try to count them soon. I still love how full it is and how he can get out of bed and his hair looks good and doesn't require much. There have been lots of days when I didn't get a chance to spray or oil the locks and it still looked decent. I couldn't say the same before I decided to move to interlocking, separated his locks and cleaned up his parts. I had to make sure I at least sprayed his hair every day or every other day to revive it from being flat after he had been sleeping on them all night.

As for me, I hit 2 years and 5 months two days ago on the 23rd. I have a lot of new, loose hairs that are popping up all over the place that I will have to incorporate into surrounding locks at my next scheduled maintenance session. That's still a long time away. I would love to get to the point of only doing quarterly retightenings for myself.

I am still itching for color but I need to stop saying I will call for an appointment and just do it. :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Sooooo....I saw one of Josette Bianca's videos (last week I think, or maybe it was longer) in which she said she was preparing her hair for locks.

Just got a notification that she has locked up again. I knew it would only be a matter of time before she started a new set of locks. I wonder if she saved her locks from the set she cut. I can't remember if she addressed that when I saw the video of her saying she cut them off.

I'm about to watch the new video now.:

Josette Bianca:

Apparently, she also has a 3-parter video series about her install.

Also, have y'all seen Bindi Marc's hair? She's already almost 11 months and her daughter is not too far behind at 10 months. That time went by super fast.
Their hair is gorgeous!!! She seems happier this time around so I'm glad for her.

Even though I still feel some type of way that she parted with that first set, just because they were super dope and drool worthy.

Bindi Marc:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

View attachment 463545
I only have mine and my mom’s to compare as a reference but they look too big to be SL to me. I am also not a SL consultant so it’s just my opinion. they are nice though.

Evolving78

I’m retwisting my hair today. I started last night. I have about 60 locs left.. I started around 6pm and worked on my hair for two hours. I started back around 7am. I stop for a 5 min break here and there. I had to do something to avoid damaging my locs waiting so long. The process hasn’t been bad this time around.

Evolving78

I’m retwisting my hair today. I started last night. I have about 60 locs left.. I started around 6pm and worked on my hair for two hours. I started back around 7am. I stop for a 5 min break here and there. I had to do something to avoid damaging my locs waiting so long. The process hasn’t been bad this time around.
I finished!!! It’s a Miracle!! I’m free! Now I can move on with my life!! I look like somebody’s child again!!

Guinan

Re-Branding
I dyed my locs yesterday. For the front of my hair I retouched my roots with cream of nature warmest brown. For the back of my hair, I dyed it lightest blonde by cream of nature. I washed my hair with Dr Bronners peppermint wash & conditioned it w/ cream of nature conditioner. I then toned the back w/ purple conditioner (I don't remember the name). I retwisted my hair using a natural oil by holistic health.

Attachments

• rps20201002_074531.jpg
    rps20201002_074531.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 23
  • rps20201002_074455.jpg
    rps20201002_074455.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 23
  • rps20201002_074559.jpg
    rps20201002_074559.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 22
  • rps20201002_074628.jpg
    rps20201002_074628.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 24

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I dyed my locs yesterday. For the front of my hair I retouched my roots with cream of nature warmest brown. For the back of my hair, I dyed it lightest blonde by cream of nature. I washed my hair with Dr Bronners peppermint wash & conditioned it w/ cream of nature conditioner. I then toned the back w/ purple conditioner (I don't remember the name). I retwisted my hair using a natural oil by holistic health.

It looks really good! You did a fantastic job!

imaginary

I know this is a touchy subject, but has anyone experimented with a mild colour rinse for grey coverage on baby locs? (sister/micro-locs esp.)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I know this is a touchy subject, but has anyone experimented with a mild colour rinse for grey coverage on baby locs? (sister/micro-locs esp.)

i did a rinse on my grays 1 week before every retightening. I didn’t have any issues. I did it while braiding and banding too. Since I was just touching up the roots I made the braids loose at the root. I also rinsed my hair well.

imaginary

i did a rinse on my grays 1 week before every retightening. I didn’t have any issues. I did it while braiding and banding too. Since I was just touching up the roots I made the braids loose at the root. I also rinsed my hair well.

That's great to know. Which brand did you prefer?

Alta Angel

I hennaed my roots right before i did my first retwist because I couldn't take it anymore. I am not going to henna for this retwist. By my third retwist my roots will be screaming for somebody's color...

I'm finally at a stage where I'm not tempted to slap a wig over my starters and I don't feel hideous lol. That's an achievement!

Speaking of greys, I have so many near my hairline. I may dye them eventually but I'm pretty lazy so I'm not sure I'd keep up with it.