Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Evolving78

Yesterday I spent a good bit of time researching color tutorials on YouTube... then later on I was browsing Amazon for color. Now a lot of wheels are turning in my head...so much so that I had to take a break from it. :spinning::spinning::spinning:
I started thinking about lightening my hair and I’m like please tell the hamster in your head to go to sleep! Lol I need to focus on some bigger fish I need to fry, and coloring my hair isn’t it.
Oh I think a warm color would look nice on you. I was looking at ginger, or copper, something golden. I gotta do too much to my hair to achieve that. I would have to remove color, lift my hair color, then tone my hair with the color I want. I still may do it later, but now isn’t the time.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I got through another reti and didn’t realize how bad my postpartum shedding until I finished the front

This side is the worst

The other side

Luckily I’m covered up for work but this is worse than the first time around

MzSwift

Whatever you gotta do in these times. Protein and Moisture? Girl, that’s loose hair talk! Lol
I use two different leave-in sprays. One for moisture and one for moisture/protein. I’m only concerned about that because I have color. And semi permanents act like a protein fillers.

Lol, you are right, sis! It's taking me a bit to reprogram my thinking.
I've never had hair longer than 3" until I started this HHJ so it's now how I think about hair care.
BTW, these twist are still in my head and I have no idea when I'm taking them down. :look:
I'm definitely looking forward to the RT after I take them down though. Lots of new growth, on top of the growth that was there when I installed them.

@shortycocoa
You have such beautiful facial bone structure! You have a very striking look! :gorgeous:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Lol, you are right, sis! It's taking me a bit to reprogram my thinking.
I've never had hair longer than 3" until I started this HHJ so it's now how I think about hair care.
BTW, these twist are still in my head and I have no idea when I'm taking them down. :look:
I'm definitely looking forward to the RT after I take them down though. Lots of new growth, on top of the growth that was there when I installed them.

@shortycocoa
You have such beautiful facial bone structure! You have a very striking look! :gorgeous:

Thank you so much! Are you going to condition your hair any when you take them down?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I got through another reti and didn’t realize how bad my postpartum shedding until I finished the front

This side is the worst

The other side

Luckily I’m covered up for work but this is worse than the first time around

I'm sorry you're still experiencing a lot of shedding. Are you open to trying any of the tea rinses we were discussing earlier in the thread? Sulfur oil might help also. I bet Curly Proverbz also has an oil/post partum shedding regimen that may help.

MzSwift

Thank you so much! Are you going to condition your hair any when you take them down?
Definitely!
Trying to decide if I wanna to do an ayurveda gloss with oil or if I will stick to the teas.
I haven't used any conditioner on my locs bc they're still babies and I'm trying to prevent buildup from product use.

For my extensions, I use the same products I've been using on my locs, just diluted a bit more.
I use a tea as a daily spray. It's brahmi, hibiscus and bhringaraj with sweet orange and lavender EOs.
And I oil my scalp once a week with a nettle leaf, horsetail, amla infused grapeseed oil.
I just washed them this morning with my black soap wash and poured a henna, amla and lavender EO tea on it to condition.
I hope they look good and healthy whenever I do decide to take these things out.
Honestly, I'm loving this hair break. I haven't really had one in a long time.

imaginary

Did my 3rd re-tie yesterday, and I like the progression of how much more full my locs have begun to look. The front is still having problems staying in: by the 3rd week a bunch of the baby ones at my temple have pulled out because my hair is so fine/soft there. So I'm still living in this middle part, which I've begun to hate less. I do prefer the look, once it's grown in a bit more however.

View media item 130715
View media item 130713

Cheekychica

I did my first (self) re-twist this past Saturday after 3 months of growth :smile:. I wanted to try palm rolling/re-twisting because the first time I got a re-tie (interlocking) in September my head was sooooo sore it hurt for a week- like it hurt to lay back on a pillow, my head was throbbing. I thought maybe if I grew it out and waited longer between re-ties it would hurt less but I decided to try re-twisting instead. It actually helps that I only have like 45 locs :lol:

MzSwift

I did my first (self) re-twist this past Saturday after 3 months of growth :smile:. I wanted to try palm rolling/re-twisting because the first time I got a re-tie (interlocking) in September my head was sooooo sore it hurt for a week- like it hurt to lay back on a pillow, my head was throbbing. I thought maybe if I grew it out and waited longer between re-ties it would hurt less but I decided to try re-twisting instead. It actually helps that I only have like 45 locs :lol:

I feel so bad that I used to send my son to bed in pain like that after a RT and had no idea! I hope your palm rolling RT works out.

MzSwift

Oh, we cut off my son's locs this weekend. :cry3: I can't believe how emotional it was for ME! lol, smh.
He had been growing them out since he was 6 and now he'll be 17 in Feb. It was gradual, he had sneaked and given himself an undercut a year or so ago.
His locs were so long, I didn't notice for a while. And then after I saw it, he started wearing them up in a bun most of the time.
Finally, we cut them off. He's gonna keep his undercut but he's talking about growing out semi-freeform or making the locs bigger than his other ones.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Today I am 2 years and 8 months locked...getting closer and closer to my 3 year anniversary every day. I didn't even realize it until I was thinking about it yesterday and realized what date it was.

I ordered all my color and supplies to color my hair. I'm just waiting for one more thing to come in.

Unfortunately, I will still have to wait a while on coloring since I sprained my right hand last Friday and I'm trying to let it heal and not put too much pressure on it.

But I am so excited with the choices I made and can't wait to see how it looks when I finally do it.

I was also planning on washing DS 1's hair last weekend and starting his retightening since he is now on Christmas break and it's probably going to take me 2 weeks to do it, just like last time. So I'm having to wait on that as well. DS 2 was just due for a regular wash. Everything will have to wait.

prettywhitty

Today I am 2 years and 8 months locked...getting closer and closer to my 3 year anniversary every day. I didn't even realize it until I was thinking about it yesterday and realized what date it was.

I ordered all my color and supplies to color my hair. I'm just waiting for one more thing to come in.

Unfortunately, I will still have to wait a while on coloring since I sprained my right hand last Friday and I'm trying to let it heal and not put too much pressure on it.

But I am so excited with the choices I made and can't wait to see how it looks when I finally do it.

I was also planning on washing DS 1's hair last weekend and starting his retightening since he is now on Christmas break and it's probably going to take me 2 weeks to do it, just like last time. So I'm having to wait on that as well. DS 2 was just due for a regular wash. Everything will have to wait.
You just made me realize I’m 2 years 1 month after this weekend. I need to do a reti. And cover my grays. I’m thinking about trying a style similar to this :

I think I’ll do it for the New Year.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
You just made me realI’ve I’m 2 years 1 month after this weekend. I need to do a reti. And cover my grays. I’m thinking about trying a style similar to this :

I think I’ll do it for the New Year.

Congratulations on your 2 years! That style is cute. I like it. Thanks for posting her. I ended up watching this video and her color tutorial video and it was extremely helpful. She gave me some ideas and made me realize I need to get the things she used if I want stellar results. I subscribed to her channel also. Her locks and color are beautiful!

prettywhitty

Congratulations on your 2 years! That style is cute. I like it. Thanks for posting her. I ended up watching this video and her color tutorial video and it was extremely helpful. She gave me some ideas and made me realize I need to get the things she used if I want stellar results. I subscribed to her channel also. Her locks and color are beautiful!
Her hair color is gorgeous! And I love her locs.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday season.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
locked peeps with 500 locs and above, how's maintenance life? too time-consuming? What's the average time retie takes?
My loctician took 2.5 to 3 hours for 420something depending how many weeks of new growth. Pre kids I would take a couple hours each night over a week or so. After kids I really don’t have time me so it’s taking me 2-3 weeks bc something always comes up

MzSwift

I realized that those twists had been in for 2 months already so I had to take them down.
Did my RT this morning. I am still amazed at how quickly it goes with this tool and I have no pain! No mistakenly pulled strands.
I hope it continues to be this breezy, but I know how hair journeys go. Lol

Next month, my locs will be 6 months old. I plan to snap a pic then. It'll be around Inauguration Day so it should be easy to remember.