Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Evolving78

Thank you! I need the encouragement!
Day 5... I couldn’t even get my thoughts together to push through and work on this hair of mine. I’m going to finish today, because I got some major things I need to wrap up. I have about 170 more locs to go.. I’m about 300 locs and these aren’t sisterlocks.. lol

I have 100 more locs to go..
I have 40 something locs left

I finished!!!

Last edited:

Evolving78

I have learned my lesson! I washed and colored my hair last month, then the last wash I had to wash, and rinse several times getting soap and then conditioner out of my locs. I don’t know why I keep using that particular conditioner.. anyway, rinsing my hair at the sink is a no-no and going that long without a retwist is a no-no. It was so much work trying to get the the tangles, knots, and locs marrying at the roots.
I need a bigger satin scarf.. I’m still reluctant to try a style, but we shall see this year. I just feel like I should be able to do whatever with my hair. I haven’t had to be concerned this much about my hair/image in years. I refuse to put a wig on...

MzSwift

I have learned my lesson! I washed and colored my hair last month, then the last wash I had to wash, and rinse several times getting soap and then conditioner out of my locs. I don’t know why I keep using that particular conditioner.. anyway, rinsing my hair at the sink is a no-no and going that long without a retwist is a no-no. It was so much work trying to get the the tangles, knots, and locs marrying at the roots.
I need a bigger satin scarf.. I’m still reluctant to try a style, but we shall see this year. I just feel like I should be able to do whatever with my hair. I haven’t had to be concerned this much about my hair/image in years. I refuse to put a wig on...

Yay, you finished! Sounds like it was a ton of work. ((BIG HUG)) That's one of the reasons I made mine bigger this time. I got discouraged and combed my last set out due to the constant marrying. I hope that it will work out for you as they grow in more and mature. I hope you find a simple style that makes you feel like the beauty you really are.

Also, I bought these satin scarves a few years ago on Amazon, 4 for $15. Two of them are still in the package. I have been alternating between the other two for the last few years and they're still in good shape with no snags.

Evolving78

@MzSwift
I’m going to check those out! Thank you!
I’m closing in on 18 months and I was looking at my starting pic. Yikes! I was like dang that’s a lot of starter locs! Lol I had to make the ones around the front of my hair line bigger to combat wear and tear. My last set years ago were larger than these, but imma ride this set out for awhile.
i don’t want to style because I don’t want to damage my locs, or look crazy once the style wears out. That’s perfectionism for ya! Lol

felic1

Oh, we cut off my son's locs this weekend. :cry3: I can't believe how emotional it was for ME! lol, smh.
He had been growing them out since he was 6 and now he'll be 17 in Feb. It was gradual, he had sneaked and given himself an undercut a year or so ago.
His locs were so long, I didn't notice for a while. And then after I saw it, he started wearing them up in a bun most of the time.
Finally, we cut them off. He's gonna keep his undercut but he's talking about growing out semi-freeform or making the locs bigger than his other ones.

MzSwift

For those of you that wash your locs with African black soap, could you please give me your review of it and how you use it please!

I just realized my black soap wash isn't African black soap so it may not be what you're looking for.

I use this:

And I love it! I don't feel any residue afterwards and it has this clean smell to it. It's not drying and it leaves my hair smelling good. It's a castile soap so I am also able to use it as my body and face wash for really quick showers. To be safe, I plan to clarify with a clarifying poo every 6 months or so.

I follow it with a homemade ayurveda tea to condition and I leave that in to dry. So far so good! HTH! :)

Whimsicalgodess

I just realized my black soap wash isn't African black soap so it may not be what you're looking for.

I use this:

And I love it! I don't feel any residue afterwards and it has this clean smell to it. It's not drying and it leaves my hair smelling good. It's a castile soap so I am also able to use it as my body and face wash for really quick showers. To be safe, I plan to clarify with a clarifying poo every 6 months or so.

I follow it with a homemade ayurveda tea to condition and I leave that in to dry. So far so good! HTH! :)

thanks so much for sharing what you use! I was hoping for the 100% natural black soap reviews though, I don’t know if I want to use Castile soap. I’m lazy and don’t want to do an acv rinse every wash day lol

fifi134

Hey y’all, happy new year. Haven’t been here for a minute. This is my hair tonight. I interlock maybe every 5-6 weeks. Sometimes I do a light retwist on the top layer of hair, where it gets the most frizzy. I can finally do a struggle pony lol, still waiting for some real length to combat the shrinkage.

B169824A-B774-4866-9407-87AFE928D545.jpeg14F2F490-4BF9-4930-B107-46754035B11C.jpeg114E5E2B-A939-4804-91D8-6BBFF0DCF404.jpeg

MzSwift

Hey y’all, happy new year. Haven’t been here for a minute. This is my hair tonight. I interlock maybe every 5-6 weeks. Sometimes I do a light retwist on the top layer of hair, where it gets the most frizzy. I can finally do a struggle pony lol, still waiting for some real length to combat the shrinkage.

View attachment 467503View attachment 467505View attachment 467507

They're looking good! They're growing and maturing really thick and pretty. Congrats on your ponytail! That's an essential milestone.

ChasingBliss

Been a minute... About six months ago my locs started creeping past my waist and I the weight of them began to really bother me. I cut them back to my shoulders and I really enjoyed the lightness and freedom ..but now Im ready for them to get long again. Also I've had to do a lot of loc divorcing. That's from keeping my head covered and un-manipulated for months. I've had an FUT and then an FUE ...the reasons for me covering my head. I didnt realize just how fast locs can marry. Im just ready for a brand new intensive hair care regimen like I used to do years ago. I missed the old days when I was so amped every day about haircare. Im realizing keeping my hair clean, covered and unbothered has not been enough.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Been a minute... About six months ago my locs started creeping past my waist and I the weight of them began to really bother me. I cut them back to my shoulders and I really enjoyed the lightness and freedom ..but now Im ready for them to get long again. Also I've had to do a lot of loc divorcing. That's from keeping my head covered and un-manipulated for months. I've had and FUT and then an FUE ...the reasons for me covering my head. I didnt realize just how. fast locs can marry. Im just ready for a brand new intensive hair care regimen like I used to do years ago. I missed the old days when I was so amped every day about haircare. Im realizing keeping my hair clean, covered and unbothered has not been enough.
I know I learned my lesson! Lol I just did some trimming and used the little crochet hook to force some loose hairs in.

prettywhitty

So I just finished my reti. And I was tired of struggling to get the fat end of my loc through my interlock section... so I cut off all my fat ends. I’m sitting here a little in shock. But interlocking is so much easier and I know that my hair will grow back. In the meantime I have enough to roller set and that will give me volume.
Those fat ends were driving me mad... my head feels lighter and I am excited to see how it grows now. I was going to chop these ends anyway. I just got impatient.

Alta Angel

My locs were feeling extra crispy due to this cold air despite me using my spray twice per day. I steamed my locs for about 20 minutes with rosewater/aloe vera/oil mix. After I was done steaming, I put some oil in my hands and applied it a section at a time to seal. I may have to do this every 2 weeks.

I also purchased the travel pack of Dr. Loc products. I want to test them out to see if I like them enough to incorporate going forward.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Yay! I finally did it! I got my starter comb twist locs on Wednesday! There is so much I have to backtrack these posts for, lol. Looking for good products, that won't cause build up.View attachment 467935View attachment 467937
I’ve been using Design Essentials shampoo, conditioner and styling products. For retwisting I use the DE setting lotion or one of the foam or mousse concoctions. I’ve been using them for two years and I don’t have any build up. I’m no expert and this is my first set of locs but I love DE products.

Whimsicalgodess

Will these 2 shampoos be okay for my locs? The Giovanni one I use now. It does great for my dandruff since it’s PH balanced. Only thing that scares me is the clarifying part of it. It works great by itself, but in a bit hesitant to use it with another clarifying shampoo. But this one has good ingredients to help with not only scalp, but to help mold not to grow as well.

Attachments

• D37B876A-8E91-4FD3-BAF0-15F429351DA6.jpeg
    D37B876A-8E91-4FD3-BAF0-15F429351DA6.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 29BE2096-8572-452D-B63F-8C8EFDC789A9.jpeg
    29BE2096-8572-452D-B63F-8C8EFDC789A9.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 11

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Man I wish I could easily find DE products in Canada, the shipping is as much as the product (meaning I'd be paying double the cost) and that doesn't even include the conversion from USD to CAD. :ohwell:
I’ve never lived outside of the US so I don’t know about shipping. I get my products on Amazon.