Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

MzSwift

Anyone retwist 2-3 weeks? It seems like I can’t go past the 3 week mark anymore for the time being. I plan on washing and retwisting my hair this weekend.
With my son's locs, we did it every 3-4 weeks for years with no adverse effects. His locs didn't start experiencing issues until we stopped doing it that regularly. He started asking me to only do it every few months. I think it helped that I usually washed and DC'd his hair before each retie so he was getting regular DCing when I was doing it.

I actually plan to retie mine every 3-4 weeks as well.

Evolving78

With my son's locs, we did it every 3-4 weeks for years with no adverse effects. His locs didn't start experiencing issues until we stopped doing it that regularly. He started asking me to only do it every few months. I think it helped that I usually washed and DC'd his hair before each retie so he was getting regular DCing when I was doing it.

I actually plan to retie mine every 3-4 weeks as well.
I would retwist 4-5 weeks, but I would wash weekly. I started washing every two weeks. I don’t like waiting that long to wash my hair..smh
Hopefully I can get my locs trained again retwisting every 3 weeks. I’ve been retwisting my hair for the past several hours today. I plan on finishing my hair tonight. It’s not that bad this time around. I washed, conditioned, and colored my hair.

Platinum

Will these 2 shampoos be okay for my locs? The Giovanni one I use now. It does great for my dandruff since it’s PH balanced. Only thing that scares me is the clarifying part of it. It works great by itself, but in a bit hesitant to use it with another clarifying shampoo. But this one has good ingredients to help with not only scalp, but to help mold not to grow as well.
I haven't used Giovanni since my loose natural days. I loved it. Did you try it yet?

Silkylover

Hi new here. Going to loc my hair next month. Definitely comb coils. What is this specific partings you guys speak of? Also my hairdresser is starting them. I'm not interested in retwisting myself. I guess I have to do the shampooing myself when it doesn't need to be retwisted? Looking through comments is it not common to let the hairdresser do all the work for you lol? I know how I am so please don't try to convince I won't need my hairdresser for continuous maintenance.

Silkylover

My appointment is today at noon I’m glad I booked when I did since the threats of a lock down are looming again. My last retwist was late June I think. So it’s been 5 months. I did a loc detox last night since I saw some crap Embedded into my hair a few days ago and was grossed out lol! Then of course I wanted a few YT vids and got even more grossed out haha. I think my results are not bad after 4.5 years of life, dirt, oil,and breakups! Haha. Not using the wax, nasty gel or pretty much anything besides oil really does wonders. I don’t think I’ll need another detox for another year or 2. We’ll see!

View attachment 465413View attachment 465415View attachment 465417View attachment 465419
I love your locs. I'm starring mine soon. Do you have more pics like where you started from and how they progressed? I want to be clear with my hairdresser on the size I want

BillsBackerz67

I love your locs. I'm starring mine soon. Do you have more pics like where you started from and how they progressed? I want to be clear with my hairdresser on the size I want
Thank you. Yes they’re in the thread in here somewhere. I dont know exactly what post but I got mine started early May 2016 so if you search back from there and forward I have shared my progression over the course of time . Hope that helps!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Done with my reti
Positives, this time I only took a week
Cons, postpartum shedding is still going, lost 3 locs in the process that were hanging on by a thread. I'll post pics later

97A4D833-99CC-4842-AA6E-0E7253E2A718.jpegAFE1BC45-B97C-444F-8925-8C6E4C8FD358.jpeg2017AF57-74ED-4E8C-A792-DA92DA0A0275.jpeg

Attachments

• B5BA0832-0753-42C6-A3C6-5BED7712E9B3.jpeg
    B5BA0832-0753-42C6-A3C6-5BED7712E9B3.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hi ladies! I have been trying to keep up with this thread with everything that has been going on lately but it's been so busy.

DS 1 lost 3 locks along his front hairline. :cry3::cry3::cry3: Not all at once, but still. I didn't even realize they were vulnerable and on the verge of breaking until I happened to look closely at his hair and saw the thinning one day.

By the time I got around to trying to fix it, the method didn't help and he lost two of the locks at once anyway. The third one came out last week, I think. Still not sure how that happened, but DS 2 actually brought it to me while babbling something about DS 1's locks and I freaked out.

It kind of looked like it was cut out of his hair, but there weren't any scissors on the table where they were sitting. I always make sure to keep scissors put away if he is not working on an assignment that requires him to do cutting.

I saved the locks in the hopes of being able to reattach later, but I still don't know how to do that, even though I have seen some videos.

His hair needed some TLC and I also think with virtual learning I got lax about spraying his hair (and his brother's) every day and following up with oil. I am trying to do better with that.

I did wash and condition his hair today but skipped the rosewater mix and oil afterwards just because his hair felt much better after conditioning and it usually takes a while to dry since his hair is so thick.

His hair washing session went really smooth this time since I made it more fun. Didn't feel like washing DS 2's hair after all that (I had to clean the sink and tub before we got started since I washed, colored and conditioned my hair last night.)

I ended up not getting the other materials I said I was going to get before trying to color my hair and just went for it. I was bored and tired of looking at the faded color from summer before last.

It took forever and was a lot of work...and I had to stop at a certain time to get the kids ready for bed, which was my mistake. I should have just gotten them ready for bed around the same time I made their dinner so I could have kept working straight through.

I got dye in my sink and on the door frame and in the tub and tile, but I was able to get some of it off. I will keep working on the rest later.

So I ended up using 2 bottles of Adore Rich Eggplant and close to 2 bottles of African Violet on my hair. I ran out of Rich Eggplant when I got to the front section of my hair so that's where most of the African Violet got distributed.

I had planned to keep up my ombre look but I didn't want to lighten my roots; I wanted my roots to stay dark. I didn't lighten the other parts of my hair that were previously colored. I think if I had, the colors would have been more bold.

I think I did a good job for my first time, but I'm not so sure this is something I will continue on my own. It was just how time consuming it was for me...from that standpoint alone I want to just leave it to the professionals. :lachen: I almost said f this color...LOL.

I was tired and ready to go to sleep
I shouldn't have started coloring it so late, though.

I still want to have just the bottom part of my hair colored and then black roots at some point, but I will enjoy this look I have for now.

One thing I did notice is how dense, nourished and soft my hair felt afterwards. I couldn't stop touching it all day today. It was still damp when I woke up this morning but I expected as much.

I didn't spray with rosewater after the color process because I did condition and even though I blotted my hair a lot it was still pretty wet. So I just oiled my scalp and put some oil through the length of my hair, tied it up and went to bed. I really like the oil I used along the length of my hair this time; I may continue getting it to use after coloring or conditioning.

And I also enjoyed the shampoo and conditioner, so I may also keep using that to preserve my color going forward.

I like how it looks black (it took a while for me to get back used to seeing my hair all dark) but then when the light hits you can see the color.

I had a third color I bought (Adore Purple Black) and initially I was going to use that since I decided against doing the ombre look with all three colors, but maybe I will use that next time or ask for that next time I go to a professional. :look:

I learned a lot through this experience and am satisfied now that I have had time to really process everything and get used to it.

I'll do a separate post with pics since this post is getting long.

Last edited:

Platinum

What's good to twist with

I started my locs back in 2014 but I don’t think I still found that “holy grail” yet. I have experimented a lot over the years and I like the homemade gels but they didn’t give me the best hold.
I loved Taliah Waajid but after a while, it started leaving a white build-up in my locs. Mango and Lime gel was just awful, I didn’t like it.

I like Genuine African Super Gro hair gel (Extra hold) now. I found it on Amazon.

Last edited:

Platinum

I just realized that I haven’t posted my hair in quite some time. My grays are really standing out in the front now. I don’t intend to dye my hair, I actually love it. I just wish that my natural hair was black instead of this Sandy color. I’ll probably te-twist this week. I’m not sure if I’m going to a shop or just do it myself. 64CC53F8-67C2-4577-BD0E-810996BE851F.jpeg

BillsBackerz67

I just realized that I haven’t posted my hair in quite some time. My grays are really standing out in the front now. I don’t intend to dye my hair, I actually love it. I just wish that my natural hair was black instead of this Sandy color. I’ll probably te-twist this week. I’m not sure if I’m going to a shop or just do it myself. View attachment 468801
Omg I love everything about the greys they’re beautiful!

Whimsicalgodess

After months of calling around and dealing with shady stylists and the non shady ones charging an arm and a leg just to get some twists put in, I finally decided to do my own hair!! I’m finally done after about 5 hours. It took forever for me to part since I was doing brick. I have 81 I think. I’m gonna have my boyfriend count when he gets home from work. If it’s really 81 I’m going to separate one and make it into 2. I want an even number so I can do 2 strand twists after I palm roll.

is it the neatest? No. Is every twist the same size? Absolutely not. Am I proud of myself and love these starter locs way more than the ones I went to get done at a shop? Abso-freaking-lutey
They are much more personal to me. I used all natural products. I can’t wait until they thicken up!!

Silkylover

After months of calling around and dealing with shady stylists and the non shady ones charging an arm and a leg just to get some twists put in, I finally decided to do my own hair!! I’m finally done after about 5 hours. It took forever for me to part since I was doing brick. I have 81 I think. I’m gonna have my boyfriend count when he gets home from work. If it’s really 81 I’m going to separate one and make it into 2. I want an even number so I can do 2 strand twists after I palm roll.

is it the neatest? No. Is every twist the same size? Absolutely not. Am I proud of myself and love these starter locs way more than the ones I went to get done at a shop? Abso-freaking-lutey
They are much more personal to me. I used all natural products. I can’t wait until they thicken up!!
What were they quoting you

Platinum

I like to do my own hair but I didn't feel like doing it this week. I called my loctitian yesterday and she agreed to let me come in at 3 pm today. I get a text at 6 am this morning, asking me if I can come in early. I'm like, "Sure" now my appointment is set for 9 am. I wanted to go to the gym before I got my hair done but it's cool.

I like the shop that I go to now. They're fun, professional, and won't keep you in there all day. Plus, they are big on sanitation and are reasonably priced. Out of all of the stylists that I have dealt with since I loc'd, they're one of my favorites. One of my other favorites moved back home to Miami a few years ago.

Another salon that I attended previously, was good but more expensive. The owner had an attitude the last time I went in for service. My hair style was nice but it was so tight. It was so uncomfortable, I had to take the style down that same night. :burn: I haven't been back since.

I also dealt with another lady who used to work with the "Miami" stylist. She's a sweetheart but really needs to work on her speed. She also doesn't seem to get along with coworkers when she's in a shop. Never seems to stay in one place very long. The last time that I reached out to her, she informed me that she was working from home. I'm usually not a fan of stylists who work from home (due to previous bad experiences) but I decided to go. While working on my hair, a guy walks in the house (I'm assuming her boyfriend) and fires up a blunt. :shocked: I told him that he can't smoke in front of me, I have a CDL, I can't be around weed smoke. If I hadn't said anything, she wouldn't have either :nono: so he went outside to smoke. So after she put me under the dryer (in another room). She decided to invite dude back into the house and they decided to smoke in the living room. I could smell the Ganja way in the other room. So unprofessional! I haven't reached out to her since then. And it's a shame because I liked her personality. And I loved the locking product that she used. It had lots of shine and excellent hold.