Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Evolving78

Really? Now I gotta stalk your previous posts :2inlove::lachen:
Oh I didn’t post any pics
And I to be honest, I didn’t choose this particular size. I just knew I needed a large amount of locs to accommodate the size of my head, and the way my hair and scalp is structured. Therefore I had to go with a small size.
So whenever you decide to get locs, don’t base it on the size, the amount, or aesthetic of someone’s locs. You have to consider the density, texture, and structure of your hair and scalp, as well as your lifestyle.

Last edited:

Alta Angel

I ordered the Dr. Locs travel samples a few weeks ago to test some things out. I LOVE the leave-in conditioner spray and the Yaya Oil. I use the leave-in about 4 times per week and it continues to keep my hair moisturized. I will try the shampoo and conditioner (diluted) in between retwists. I am toying with the idea of washing at 3 weeks with no retwist. I am afraid of my roots tangling though.

Evolving78

I ordered the Dr. Locs travel samples a few weeks ago to test some things out. I LOVE the leave-in conditioner spray and the Yaya Oil. I use the leave-in about 4 times per week and it continues to keep my hair moisturized. I will try the shampoo and conditioner (diluted) in between retwists. I am toying with the idea of washing at 3 weeks with no retwist. I am afraid of my roots tangling though.
If your hair grows within the loc, then go for it. Just separate the roots and just twist a little with your fingers. I did that for my first year. I would wash my hair once a week. I wouldn’t recommend washing that much with locs, unless you interlock using a 4pt rotation.

Alta Angel

Welp, I figured as much. My hair grows everywhere but within loc. This may be something I can do once my locs mature.
If your hair grows within the loc, then go for it. Just separate the roots and just twist a little with your fingers. I did that for my first year. I would wash my hair once a week. I wouldn’t recommend washing that much with locs, unless you interlock using a 4pt rotation.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
1.How long have you been on your loc journey? March 1st, 2021

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? I was tired of using stylers products, gels, combs, etc

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? Forever

4. What type of locs do you have?
Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? Freeform

5. What process did you use to start your locs? Just left my hair alone

6. How do you maintain your locs? I just leave it

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs? Dreadlock shampoo bar from dreadlockssoap.com, African black soap

Last edited:

Cheekychica

I want to post pics of of my starter locs, but I can’t figure out how to. Do I need a 3rd party website? Or is the site down or something?
If you’re posting from your phone you should see a spot to attach files. (See pic I just attached)

Attachments

• AE9BB3A8-96BC-4CB2-8C24-4AB743840135.jpeg
    AE9BB3A8-96BC-4CB2-8C24-4AB743840135.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 17
  • AA784707-4BB6-4FB4-B36B-36EF03E5EE30.jpeg
    AA784707-4BB6-4FB4-B36B-36EF03E5EE30.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 35

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Locs are on cruise control. I just tried a new shampoo and so far I really love it. I changed up my regi a bit too. I’m using Carol’s Daughter Wash Day Delight and I bought some tea rinse to use as leave in conditioner. New pics...29 monthsAACA5A97-3FDE-4DAA-A508-23D5D9A86E27.jpeg6F6F70AF-A247-4022-B893-D26D516D2635.jpegB002CC8A-FE13-4CF2-B7CF-3DA6CE22EAE3.jpeg
I have no idea how to fix the sideways pics. Nothing I did seemed to help.

Last edited:

Evolving78

@Cattypus1
Love the locs!
I want to try those products just for the scent! Lol. Was the shampoo easy to rinse out? I’ll try those when my other shampoo runs out. I just bought some new stuff 2 months ago.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@Cattypus1
Love the locs!
I want to try those products just for the scent! Lol. Was the shampoo easy to rinse out? I’ll try those when my other shampoo runs out. I just bought some new stuff 2 months ago.
Thanks. Yes, the shampoo was very easy to rinse. I love a clear shampoo. I didn’t try any of the other CD products. I didn’t really care for them when I was a loose natural.

Cheekychica

Cheekychica

Finally posting some updated pics- I’m just over 7 months now (one pic is freshly washed).

I’m still interlocking- I did try palm rolling but I switched back to interlocking since I need to shampoo more frequently as a daily exerciser.

Attachments

• A85EEA5B-E3F1-4348-A3B6-FEAB0E2E81BD.jpeg
    A85EEA5B-E3F1-4348-A3B6-FEAB0E2E81BD.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 909C5FB4-1B14-4449-A675-638F1E9AF91D.jpeg
    909C5FB4-1B14-4449-A675-638F1E9AF91D.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Finally posting some updated pics- I’m just over 7 months now (one pic is freshly washed).

I’m still interlocking- I did try palm rolling but I switched back to interlocking since I need to shampoo more frequently as a daily exerciser.
Girl, whatchu talkin’ about! Love your locs...at 7 months I was lookin’ good and crazy! I had enough of an attitude that nobody dared say anything

Cheekychica

Thank you @Cheekychica. I wish I had loced years ago when I stopped relaxing. I guess I wasn’t ready to accept that my hair really wanted to loc and I have spent my entire life fighting it with heat and chemicals. I finally love the hair that grows out of my head. I guess I had to get old to finally do that...LOL!
Same here! I wish I'd done this 10 years ago instead of in my 40s. Oh well, we're here now lol.
Girl, whatchu talkin’ about! Love your locs...at 7 months I was lookin’ good and crazy! I had enough of an attitude that nobody dared say anything
I just stopped looking crazy :lol: I really considered taking them out in November. I don't see many images of people with hair like mine who don't have super thick hair and a ton of locs- I was worried about looking like I have only 5 locs on my head. :( I had to readjust my expectations.