Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Cheekychica

I will be one year loc'd in August. I have enjoyed the journey thus far. There is nothing like waking up, shaking my hair out, and going every single day. I don't miss my loose natural hair one bit.

I take my self-retightening class next month. I can't wait. I'm so ready to be free from my consultant. I will be making a transfer client appointment as soon as some of the other local consultants start taking new clients again.
Oooh my 1 year anniversary is this August also! Mine's on the 4th. I completely agree with you about the ease of being loc'ed -it's so liberating to wake up and not have to fuss with your hair (and still look good). :)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Does anyone else use these phone cord (I'm old) hair bands? I love them. They allow my ponytails to look full and I use them for updos without having to use bobby pins, etc. It seems as if they would get caught in your hair, but I have had no issues.
. View attachment 473407
I do! Also learned that when they stretch out placing them in very warm/hot water will shrink them back down to the size shown above.

FlawedBeauty

Hey all! I reached my one year mark and in Nov and so glad I took pics along the way cuz guuuurl lol. I cant believe I actually went out the house with my head like I did when I first had them done :lachen: I have so many pics I want to upload but it's so time consuming because I have to upload em to get a url and then paste because I always get an error trying to upload directly to the site.

I've combined so many locs along the way and love how they are progressing so far. Can't wait to see what year 2 brings :)

Hey y'all! I've been gone a loong time an just wanted to say I'm still kicking and give an update

Attachments

• 20210606_200829.jpg
    20210606_200829.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 43

Evolving78

I trimmed 2 inches off of my locs. I have been trimming my locs for over a year, but I believe I finally cut the rest of the starter two strand twists off. If I ever were to restart my journey, I would stick with comb coils. Two strand twists unravel, separate, and various strands will shrink. I’m sure I will get my length that I gained from the last 3 months will come back by late fall. It feels good to get rid of those ends.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I did it! I rolled my locs on pipe cleaners. It took me about an hour and that included the time it took to shape the pipe cleaners. I’ve been wanting to try this since I started my locs. I’ve had them in since Sat evening. I’ll be taking them down tomorrow. If it turns out decent I’ll share a pic. I know one thing for sure… I did not do a good enough job to wear them out. :look: I wrapped my hair when I went to the store today. I pray for all this effort it looks good. Stay tuned…..

Evolving78

I did it! I rolled my locs on pipe cleaners. It took me about an hour and that included the time it took to shape the pipe cleaners. I’ve been wanting to try this since I started my locs. I’ve had them in since Sat evening. I’ll be taking them down tomorrow. If it turns out decent I’ll share a pic. I know one thing for sure… I did not do a good enough job to wear them out. :look: I wrapped my hair when I went to the store today. I pray for all this effort it looks good. Stay tuned…..
I still haven’t used any of my rods yet. I plan to do that this week. Do the pipe cleaner leave lint behind? I wanted to try those, but I’m scared of lint.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Prayers…I can’t wait to see!

Alta Angel

I am going into unchartered territory tonight by washing and steaming my locs with no retwist. After steaming them, I am going to spray water and Loc-N-Slay on each section, finger detangle/separate locs, and braid into about 10 sections. I may sit under a low dryer for 30 minutes and airdry the rest of the night. My 1 year Loc-A-Versary is next week!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My retie is tomorrow and I hate to see these curls go. They have held on this entire time. Every time I whip off my bonnet in the morning they are still there. I might just curl my hair up again on Sunday and wear this style again next week. Perhaps I’ll make my sections smaller for a tighter curl. We shall see but in other news this gray is completely disrespectful. :confused: A part of me wants to see if it comes in a pretty silver… and that other part of me is like girl get your ish together and dye this hair.

cravoecanela

I really like the look of hair clips but I haven't been able to successfully find any brand that makes hair clips specifically for locs. Does anyone have any recommendations ? Something along the lines of the image below :

Attachments

• 1626550661331.png
    1626550661331.png
    884.3 KB · Views: 15

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Does anyone else use these phone cord (I'm old) hair bands? I love them. They allow my ponytails to look full and I use them for updos without having to use bobby pins, etc. It seems as if they would get caught in your hair, but I have had no issues.
. View attachment 473407
Yes...I have used them on DS 2's hair but not mine. I would imagine I would need some that look like necklaces for the thickness of my hair.

The white girls use them as ponytail holders all the time, which is how I noticed.

Last edited: