Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hey ladies that interlock, one of my locs got caught in a purse strap and when I went to remove it the loc. Anyway to fix this?View attachment 479509
Can you sew it back on if it broke off? Or if it separated you should be able to sew it back together. It's kind of hard to tell which is the case but it looks like it broke off and separated.

ETA:. It might be easier to sew it back together first, then sew it back on to the point of reattachment. I did this with a few locks during my last retightening. I have also just went ahead and combined some locks via sewing. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

Alta Angel

I recently purchased the Q-Redew hand held steamer as a way to incorporate weekly steams into my regimen. I still use my hooded steamer on wash days. I am loving the hand held steamer though! For whatever reason, it has a straight-iron effect on my locs. Sometimes my locs are bent when I wake up in the morning, and the steamer just straightens things out. I like it!

Edited to add my latest pic. I am 21 months now.
PVAM-small.jpg

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Do you feel like the parting is off overall, or just in certain areas? What don't you like about it? What size locks did you want? If you're not happy with the parting it's best to fix it now and not wait.

I thought your parting was giving thick and full, especially in the front. I also liked the block parting in the back. But it doesn't matter what I/we think, if ultimately you don't like it and it's not what you want for your hair. I'm anxious to see how they will turn out either way!
I didn't like the parting because they were way smaller in the front than in the rear and whatever she used on my hair made it flaky.

MzSwift

Totally forgot to update!!

So it took me 24 days but I finally combed out my (99) locs. I took about 5 days off so I guess it would've only taken me 19 days to do it. I originally just converted them to twists as I went along. So when I finished, I did a quick wash and condition. I knew I would be converting them to smaller twists but I wanted to see what it looked like - it's been about 8 years since I've last seen my natural hair.

Before take down:
1651336163771.png

I cut each loc in half and then started the comb out. First loc done! Took about 1.5 hrs:
1651336279035.png

Finally done, washed and conditioned. Better than starting from a shaved head, in my opinion:

1651336933688.png 1651336985372.png 1651337025927.png

So I split all of them in half, some into thirds, because I wanted smaller twists to gauge if I want locs that size:

1651337131643.png 1651337190561.png

I do like them smaller but I feel like they're not small enough - esp if they're gonna swell up as locs.
And it still looks pretty flat to me. So I can see them looking flat as they start to loc up.
My rough math puts them at about 200-210 twists. I think sistalocks are usually double that amount.
I really don't want to have to do braidouts on my locs in order to make them as full as I want them to look on my face.

So I think I'm gonna spend a few months in mini twists or mini braids until I find a size I want to let loc up.
I will NOT be wearing my hair loose at all. I just plan to redo them every 3-5 weeks, one at a time.
I don't want them too small where there's only a few strands supporting a loc that will eventually be long and heavy.
I swear fine hair seems to make this such a complicated decision for me.
I really wasn't feeling the thicker locs on me, I didn't like the way they looked or felt. And I'm loving washing my hair daily!!
I'm happy to be doing this again and without texlaxed hair so I want to get it right. I'll be back when I decide to let it loc.
Until then, I'll keep lurking.
Sending you ladies lots of love!! :heart:

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
@MzSwift Looking good! I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did but take them down to redo them roughly keeping the same parts. We'll be here when you're ready to come back:eyebrows2:

I don't like the ends of my hair. The color and texture is looking a bit :barf: to me lately and it is not growing on me.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
@MzSwift I do lol I don't know if you remember but once I cut half my off when I was natural and still had a decent puff. Thanks Swifty, I thought I was going to just "breeze" past this process like I do with my loose natural hair. My hair Kendrick Lamar'd me and I got humbled real quick :lachen:

imaginary

Totally forgot to update!!

So it took me 24 days but I finally combed out my (99) locs. I took about 5 days off so I guess it would've only taken me 19 days to do it. I originally just converted them to twists as I went along. So when I finished, I did a quick wash and condition. I knew I would be converting them to smaller twists but I wanted to see what it looked like - it's been about 8 years since I've last seen my natural hair.

Before take down:
View attachment 480355

I cut each loc in half and then started the comb out. First loc done! Took about 1.5 hrs:
View attachment 480357

Finally done, washed and conditioned. Better than starting from a shaved head, in my opinion:

View attachment 480359 View attachment 480361 View attachment 480363

So I split all of them in half, some into thirds, because I wanted smaller twists to gauge if I want locs that size:

View attachment 480365 View attachment 480367

I do like them smaller but I feel like they're not small enough - esp if they're gonna swell up as locs.
And it still looks pretty flat to me. So I can see them looking flat as they start to loc up.
My rough math puts them at about 200-210 twists. I think sistalocks are usually double that amount.
I really don't want to have to do braidouts on my locs in order to make them as full as I want them to look on my face.

So I think I'm gonna spend a few months in mini twists or mini braids until I find a size I want to let loc up.
I will NOT be wearing my hair loose at all. I just plan to redo them every 3-5 weeks, one at a time.
I don't want them too small where there's only a few strands supporting a loc that will eventually be long and heavy.
I swear fine hair seems to make this such a complicated decision for me.
I really wasn't feeling the thicker locs on me, I didn't like the way they looked or felt. And I'm loving washing my hair daily!!
I'm happy to be doing this again and without texlaxed hair so I want to get it right. I'll be back when I decide to let it loc.
Until then, I'll keep lurking.
Sending you ladies lots of love!! :heart:

Beautiful hair! I have fine hair too and one thing my sisterlocks consultant had to point out for me was that some sections had to be done slightly bigger than others because while your locs will swell over time, afterwards they're going to shrink again and you have to ensure the base is still strong enough for that. Also you don't wanna go too small and be overwhelmed with maintenance.

Can't wait to see your final install!

MzSwift

Beautiful hair! I have fine hair too and one thing my sisterlocks consultant had to point out for me was that some sections had to be done slightly bigger than others because while your locs will swell over time, afterwards they're going to shrink again and you have to ensure the base is still strong enough for that. Also you don't wanna go too small and be overwhelmed with maintenance.

Can't wait to see your final install!
Thank you, sis!
I keep thinking that if I go too small, I can always combine. But If I go too big again... I'mma just shave it if I have to start over. :lachen:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Sooo...

I know it's because I'm in my feelings, cause this week was like :spank: but I kinda wanna take my locs down and wait until my hair gets longer, then put them back in. My face looks huge, my hair length is not complimentary, and I'm tired of wearing headband, wraps and stuff. Maybe I should put a style over them.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Sooo...

I know it's because I'm in my feelings, cause this week was like :spank: but I kinda wanna take my locs down and wait until my hair gets longer, then put them back in. My face looks huge, my hair length is not complimentary, and I'm tired of wearing headband, wraps and stuff. Maybe I should put a style over them.
:bighug:
I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated about your hair right now. Yes, I think you should consider a style over them. Not sure if you want to wear wigs in this heat, but that's also an option that I see on some women with locks. Also, maybe you can try loc extensions or faux locs that can be removed as your own hair grows out and goes through the maturation process.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I'm mad late but my locks turned 4 years old last month. I didn't really do anything special to celebrate. Thought about doing two strand twists that I could convert to a twist out but after thinking about execution after wash day I said nah...:lachen:

I do wanna do it one day though. And it's time for some new color for spring as well.

I wanted to ask...those of you who do twists and twist outs, do you use some type of setting lotion/mousse for definition and hold or just plain water/twisting on damp hair?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
So much has happened...I made the decision to cut DS 1's locks several months ago. He was not sitting still for the maintenance, wash days were problematic, and separating his locks was a chore. His hair was so matted all over and hadn't been retightened in over a year.

Some of his locks had already been thinning and it got to the point where they were breaking off in my hand during the wash. He was sad after, I think, but we took him to the barbershop and called it a day. Now he gets haircuts and is used to the process.

We explained to him that he could get locks again when he's older if he wants them again and can sit for the maintenance, but not right now. I also didn't like how the ABA team were dragging their :censored: with helping with a solution to our issues. So we took matters into our own hands.

Looking back on it, there were a lot of things I probably could have done differently, but of course hindsight is always 20-20.

DS 2 still has his locks...but we let it be known every time that his locks can go too if he decides he doesn't want to sit still for hair washing and retightening. :lachen: I am not playing with these kids anymore. :lachen: This strategy seems to be working.

Cheekychica

Hey ladies, I’m still lurking and reading and liking posts. My locs are going to be 2 years old this August, time has really flown by!

They’re growing but the back is growing faster than my crown so I feel like I have a slight mullet lol.

Here’s a recent pic and a comparison pic:

Attachments

• 9AA92D78-9610-478C-A132-CBD9E1F0C41F.jpeg
    9AA92D78-9610-478C-A132-CBD9E1F0C41F.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 24
  • FBB76605-9B2C-4628-BE8C-B54B65C9C1B1.jpeg
    FBB76605-9B2C-4628-BE8C-B54B65C9C1B1.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: