Locs!! -- Any members have them / had them / want them?

Afro-Indi

That's AWESOME! And you're welcome!

Here's another thing I did (may sound weird, but I'm a lil' sentimental like that): When I got my FIRST loc, I "rewarded" it with a trinket. I sewed a tiny 10K gold ankh on it. That way I could also remember which one loc'd first.

I also, on every "loc-a-versary", I would put another trinket on another loc. I liked my trinkets to be hidden under my other locs, only to be shown if I wore my hair up or something like that. :grin:

That's a good idea!
Maybe I'll do that too.
That would be cool if I could find a site that has most of the Adinkra symbols in gold charms like that.
I guess I'll be searching....

JustKiya

Here's another thing I did (may sound weird, but I'm a lil' sentimental like that): When I got my FIRST loc, I "rewarded" it with a trinket. I sewed a tiny 10K gold ankh on it. That way I could also remember which one loc'd first.

I also, on every "loc-a-versary", I would put another trinket on another loc. I liked my trinkets to be hidden under my other locs, only to be shown if I wore my hair up or something like that. :grin:

:love3:

See, stuff like this makes me wanna get locs again, or something. :lol: Maybe I'll give myself a loc in the back, or something......

eunique

That's a great idea!

CurleeDST

I am loc'ing now.

I've known I've wanted locs for like forever, but I hadn't been able to just sit and do it but I'm looking to start them right before school starts. I was just wondering if there are any members who have formerly had locs who have tips, who have them, or want them like I do!

thefineprint

there was a natural inspiration thread a while back and i posted a bunch of locked pictures in there...maybe i can find it. i absolutely love locs. Here are some more because I can't resist the temptation!

anon123

Naa, thse aren't my starters but I do plan to start with comb coils ... I think. They are some comb coils I got back in March that my mother did for me. I had planned to begin the locking process at the beginning of the summer but I'm a broke college student so it was out of the question. Lol.

How do you want to maintain them? You might be able to do them yourself. When I start mine (one day in the distant future) I don't intend on relying on anyone else to start or maintain them. I might have someone do them once just so I can see how they're done, but I at least know the general method of rolling and clipping to dry. I hate salons and if locs made me have to go back I'd never get them!

ina

Thank you for the pics Afro-Indi, Pink Gator and The Fineprint.
Very nice locs.
I want Sisterlocks and as soon as I can find a loctitian here (France) or in London, I'll be ready to go.

Afro-Indi

there was a natural inspiration thread a while back and i posted a bunch of locked pictures in there...maybe i can find it. i absolutely love locs. Here are some more because I can't resist the temptation!

Man, I can't WAIT until I get to just that point in the first pic!

yorlooksmybiz had a good thread last month with a link to a picture slideshow of locked heads for anyone who is looking for more inspirational pics :yep:.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=247017&highlight=locs
I have that slideshow saved to My Favorites.
After toying around with the idea of locking, seeing this slideshow solidified the deal for me:yep:

eunique

Great pics! I actually really love that pink. When I loc i want to make just one of them purple. Hehe. :grin:

eunique

How do you want to maintain them? You might be able to do them yourself. When I start mine (one day in the distant future) I don't intend on relying on anyone else to start or maintain them. I might have someone do them once just so I can see how they're done, but I at least know the general method of rolling and clipping to dry. I hate salons and if locs made me have to go back I'd never get them!

I want them to be started by someone and maintained for like a few months until I feel comfortable taking care of them myself. I may just have my mother start them because she did the comb-coils in my signature. She's a stylist but she's all the way in Vegas and I'm in DC about ... 11 months out of the year for school. There's a great shop right across the street from my school that my friends with locs go to so I may start them there.

I understand not wanting to go to salons though.

So if you don't use any locking gel or beewax or sheabutter to loc the hair then what should be used?

I'm thinking of locking my hair too this summer.:yep:

JustKiya

So if you don't use any locking gel or beewax or sheabutter to loc the hair then what should be used?

The pure tangling power of naps. :lachen: If you have nappy hair, you shouldn't NEED to use anything for them to lock - that's what they do, when left alone.

All I used on mine - or more specifically, all I didn't use was conditioner. For about the first *thinks* 6-9 months? No conditioner at all, just shampoo - it leaves the hair 'rougher' and encourages locking.

Shinka

When i was starting my locs, a loc-tician told me to use pure aloe vera gel and was every 2-3 weeks with Dr. Bonners tea tree shampoo, then retwist with clips. I started mine with about an inch of hair and finger coils.

I plan to loc again this time around in about 3-4 months when I have an inch of hair.

anon123

JustKiya;5175911[B said:
]The pure tangling power of naps. :lachen:[/B] If you have nappy hair, you shouldn't NEED to use anything for them to lock - that's what they do, when left alone.

All I used on mine - or more specifically, all I didn't use was conditioner. For about the first *thinks* 6-9 months? No conditioner at all, just shampoo - it leaves the hair 'rougher' and encourages locking.

That's what I'm saying. That's what my hair tries to do all the time anyway. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay nobody nothing for my hair to do what it wants to do anyway. :grin: Though I do understand wanting them maintained for a certain look or using product for a certain feel or sheen or something. I bet I could even get away with conditioner, based on what happened when I tried to wash my twists 3 times w/o detangling. :nono:

CurleeDST

My girl started her at Cornrows and Co. in DC. I plan to continue using salons b/c I like the pampering and the spirit at Na'Klectic is so positive!! I love it as a nice reprieve and me time!

I do not get much of those as a mommy. She wants me back once a month so I say what the hay - only $65 bucks and it is worth it for nice locs and lovely atmosphere. I also loved the hair washing they gave me! Very soothing yet thorough. No conditioner was used this past Friday just herbal shampoo.

She used her own oils and they smell so good. She said $10 a bottle but hey - support black business right? I LOVE IT!

I want them to be started by someone and maintained for like a few months until I feel comfortable taking care of them myself. I may just have my mother start them because she did the comb-coils in my signature. She's a stylist but she's all the way in Vegas and I'm in DC about ... 11 months out of the year for school. There's a great shop right across the street from my school that my friends with locs go to so I may start them there.

I understand not wanting to go to salons though.

glam-

Aww, how cute is that. :grin:

And the pics of your locs are lovely.

Oh man, another fotki to stalk :lachen:
Her locs are purty :yep:

The pure tangling power of naps. :lachen: If you have nappy hair, you shouldn't NEED to use anything for them to lock - that's what they do, when left alone.

I think it depends on the hair and the person.
My first time I didn't use conditioner. My hair was a bit rougher than I like for it to be.
This time around I have been using conditioner and my hair is already budding.
I believe water makes the difference. The more the better:drunk:

JustKiya

Oh man, another fotki to stalk :lachen:
Her locs are purty :yep:

I think it depends on the hair and the person.
My first time I didn't use conditioner. My hair was a bit rougher than I like for it to be.
This time around I have been using conditioner and my hair is already budding.
I believe water makes the difference. The more the better:drunk:

:yep: True - I should have clarified that I started with using con, but my locs would slip everytime I did, so I stopped.
I didn't mean for that to sound like a loc'ing commandment - Thou Shalt Not Use Conditioner - :lol: - I know sometimes it's easy to read things that way, but I try reallly hard not make blanket statements - we are all different, ya know? :lol:

And yeah, lots of water - you actually WANT as much shrinkage as possible. ;)

:yep: True - I should have clarified that I started with using con, but my locs would slip everytime I did, so I stopped.
I didn't mean for that to sound like a loc'ing commandment - Thou Shalt Not Use Conditioner - :lol: - I know sometimes it's easy to read things that way, but I try reallly hard not make blanket statements - we are all different, ya know? :lol:

And yeah, lots of water - you actually WANT as much shrinkage as possible. ;)

:lachen::lachen:
I know :yep:
On a side note, I just recently learned of a sista who started her locs by backcombing :blush:
And they look good too but that sounded sooo labor-intensive.
If I can find her fotki...

JustKiya

:lachen::lachen:
I know :yep:
On a side note, I just recently learned of a sista who started her locs by backcombing :blush:
And they look good too but that sounded sooo labor-intensive.
If I can find her fotki...

BACKCOMBING??? Ay yai yai! That does sound time consuming - but I suspect you would lock faster....so overall, it might just be more time at once or time spread out over time.

thefineprint

some people put little tiny braids in their hair and they lock - they are called braidlocks. others start with a tool like sisterlocks or nappylocks. you don't have to start with product. i didn't

eunique

My girl started her at Cornrows and Co. in DC. I plan to continue using salons b/c I like the pampering and the spirit at Na'Klectic is so positive!! I love it as a nice reprieve and me time!

I do not get much of those as a mommy. She wants me back once a month so I say what the hay - only $65 bucks and it is worth it for nice locs and lovely atmosphere. I also loved the hair washing they gave me! Very soothing yet thorough. No conditioner was used this past Friday just herbal shampoo.

She used her own oils and they smell so good. She said $10 a bottle but hey - support black business right? I LOVE IT!

I've heard of Cornrows and Co. I was thinking about starting them at Urban Nature since its right across the street from my school, but Na'Kletic sounds really nice.

Wow, that so like a really nice place. I may pay them a visit.

Lady Kay 21

BUMPPPPPPP!!!!!

Keep this alive! Locs are beautiful... I'm thinking of locking in January after I end my transition, but with all these beautiful fotkis and loc talk, I may just start sooner!!!!