Long Hair & Don't Care???

Incognitus

Hmm... There is this black girl in one of my classes who has bone-straight healthy & strong looking, dark MBL hair. I have yet to EVER see her wear it up. It's always down, flowing everywhere (yeah, I'm a little jealous). Plus, it's freezing cold outside (like 25 deg F). I just wonder: is she ever gonna protect her hair? Isn't she afraid of this cold and strong winds? Why not ever ANY other style but down?

I must admit that her hair is gorgeous. I've been wanting to approach her but I know how some women get when it comes to hair...I'd love to know some of her haircare methods (just curious). Anyhow, I try not to automatically assume it is a weave. I really do hope it's all hers.

I'm just curious as to what people with BSL or longer do with their hair...lol. Or, once you reach your hair length goal, how will you style it most?

Side Note: While your in my thread, please answer 1 more question for me:
I recenlty attempted to flat iron my hair (on my own for 1st time) with a CHI that maxes out at 180 degrees. Needlesstosay, it didn't get very straight. My questions are:
Why do my ends look so bushy/ragged? Is it just extremely dry? Do I just need a trim? Or....?
IMAG1780.jpg IMAG1781.jpg

nappystorm

When I was relaxed, I had BSL hair. I mainly wore it in rollersets unless it was extremely hot or rainy. In the summers I wore cornrows. When my hair finally reach MBL, I'm going to start back wearing it down consistently.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I have a friend who grew her hair from APL to MBL very quickly with the help of her stylist and all she got was weekly rollersets. I asked her about her practices and she said she gets her rollersets on Friday evenings at the salon, the stylists wraps it and puts her silk scarf on before she leaves, and she wraps it at night the rest of the week. That's it. No oils, no moisturizing, no p.s., and no relaxer stretching.

That's when I stop doing all that extra stuff to my hair and I'm still retaining just fine too. I do still put a little oil on my ends nightly though.

ms.blue

Some women don't need to do protective styling and they have long healthy hair. You should ask her about her hair reggie b/c maybe she moisturizes or seals with oils, relaxer stretches, deep conditions, etc but doesn't protective style.

As for your bushes ends, did you do an acv rinse or used porosity control before flatironing your hair? Also did you do the comb chase method? And lastly, what type of products did you use to flatiron your hair?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Mrs. Verde

It's like exercising. Some people don't and never gain a pound. The rest of us gotta hit the gym hard.

Janet'

D.Lisha has a similar thread...Some people just have it like that...but I wouldn't be afraid to ask her. It might be a good weave, and if it's not, she might enjoy the hair conversation...

amber815

I wear my hair down pretty much all of the time and always have. I will wear it in a ponytail when I feel like it and a bun when I work out. I do moisturize every night and seal with a bit of JBCO.

D.Lisha

Lol, wow
This sounds excatly like my thread....smh these "longhairdon'tcare" chicks make me sick.....seriously -.-
And when it comes to your ends.....i'd agree with what ms.blue stated. Try porosity control or an acv rince. I wouldn't say trim just yet....since they may be some lead hairs
See This Thread About Lead Hairs

JJamiah

I wear mine down when I want, But I truly don't care for my hair touching my shoulders so most of the time I wear it out in the fall and early sprint :)

Don't be afraid to ask, start with a compliment and then ask a few questions :)

lea86111

Lol, wow
This sounds excatly like my thread....smh these "longhairdon'tcare" chicks make me sick.....seriously -.-
And when it comes to your ends.....i'd agree with what ms.blue stated. Try porosity control or an acv rince. I wouldn't say trim just yet....since they may be some lead hairs
See This Thread About Lead Hairs

LOL i was thinking the same! just like your thread, anyways, one question, WHY DOES YOUR FLAT IRON ONLY GET TO 180???????? how can you flat iron with that? mine doesnt go less than 260 i think. one thing you can do is make sure your hair is moisturized prior to flat ironing it, like do a proper DC beforehand and do the comb chase method, best thing ever invented PERIOD lol

Jewell

I've had at least BSL hair since the late '90s and I used to wear it down mostly. Then, I learned about hair care and protective styling, which prompted me to actually enjoy wearing it up more often than down, considering the positive change in the health of my ends and thickness of my hair. As I've grown my hair longer, I like to wear it up about 98% of the time. I only wear it down for special occasions. As I continue to grow it out, I will still remain in PS.

SmilingElephant

I usually wear mine all pinned up 90% of the time....ya'll making me wanna flat iron my hair this weekend....i wonder how long its gotten:shocked:....all this newgrowth on my head....hmmmm....:grin:

Stella B.

Hi Incognitus!
If your Chi has a temperature control dial that maxes out at 180 degrees, that would be 180 degrees Celsius. In Farenheit degrees, that would be around 325-350 degrees, which is pretty hot, but may not be hot enough to get your hair straight the way you want it. Experiment with different heat protectors, ironing in smaller sections, and maybe doing one more pass on each section. I'm not sure about the bushy ends, cause mine are bushy too! However, if I had to choose between them being bushy, or thin, I'll take bushy any day!!:lol:

Divine.

I personally don't believe in protective styling or the intense regimens. If God blessed you with it, flaunt it! It's your hair! You only have one life to live. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it's just hair. I reached my goal before I found this site, and now I'm doing what I want. I still use heat, I am no longer growing my hair out (rocking a bob), and I got the color I always wanted. I get compliments on how great my hair looks all the time. Remember: K.I.S.S. The most I do is deep condition each week due to the color. Other than that, nothing special.

Pink Pearls

I usually wear my hair down most of the time. Occasionally, I wear a ponytail or clip, and bun when I work out. At night, I use Jojoba or Argan Oil on my ends.

Keep your ends moisturized and use a good serum/heat protectant.

UrbainChic

I think once you get past a certain length wearing your hair down is okay actually. I think its when the ends are getting caught in things like zippers and necklaces that the problem occurs, usually between sl and apl. I dunno, I could be wrong, but I get my hair caught in things most around that length. ( its annoying bc most of the time I am natural and unstretched and right in the danger zone, and I really dont want to be flat ironing my hair)

So speaking of Flat ironing, Definitely work on your technique, not the heat. As someone above said the 180 is Celsius, not Fahrenheit, so don't worry about that. Using the comb chase method will improve the way your ends come out, or if you are like me and extra special when it comes to using tools you can use a double straightening brush thing the same way you do the comb chase method:

it helps me keep my hair straighter during the process and prevents me from having 900000 passes over my hair to get it kind of straight.

Hope that helps.

ScarletPhoenix

She probably has the simplest reggie in the world and her hair is thriving from it. I don't plan on wrapping my hair up constantly when it gets to my goal length which is about MBL, I am going to rock it healthy and down!

lea86111

one more thing, there's NO WAY IN HELL that if my hair gets to be APL+ i'll wear it up, no way jose! Nah uh :nono: i think the only thing you gotta do is mak sure your hair (especially your ends) are moisturized at all times and you'll be good. Plus what's the point to get to hip length and bun all the time? :perplexed: i mean really?

As for your bushes ends, did you do an acv rinse or used porosity control before flatironing your hair? Also did you do the comb chase method? And lastly, what type of products did you use to flatiron your hair?

How do you use the porosity control to assist with flat ironing?

TIA

BostonMaria

Hmm... There is this black girl in one of my classes who has bone-straight healthy & strong looking, dark MBL hair. I have yet to EVER see her wear it up. It's always down, flowing everywhere (yeah, I'm a little jealous). Plus, it's freezing cold outside (like 25 deg F). I just wonder: is she ever gonna protect her hair? Isn't she afraid of this cold and strong winds? Why not ever ANY other style but down?

I must admit that her hair is gorgeous. I've been wanting to approach her but I know how some women get when it comes to hair...I'd love to know some of her haircare methods (just curious). Anyhow, I try not to automatically assume it is a weave. I really do hope it's all hers.

I'm just curious as to what people with BSL or longer do with their hair...lol. Or, once you reach your hair length goal, how will you style it most?

Side Note: While your in my thread, please answer 1 more question for me:
I recenlty attempted to flat iron my hair (on my own for 1st time) with a CHI that maxes out at 180 degrees. Needlesstosay, it didn't get very straight. My questions are:
Why do my ends look so bushy/ragged? Is it just extremely dry? Do I just need a trim? Or....?
View attachment 99087 View attachment 99089

OP it looks like you need a trim, but I would say try binning for a few weeks (months if you're gangsta) and assess the damage. It might just be the technique not your hair.

Imani

It's like exercising. Some people don't and never gain a pound. The rest of us gotta hit the gym hard.

I agree with this 1000%

Sometimes I get discouraged bc I see people who do whatever with their hair and its still long and luscious. But they just got it like that. I just suck it up, slap on my half wigs and stick to my regimen. I have other things that come to me easily that I don't have to work as hard as others for, but hair just isn't one of them.

SmilingElephant

one more thing, there's NO WAY IN HELL that if my hair gets to be APL+ i'll wear it up, no way jose! Nah uh :nono: i think the only thing you gotta do is mak sure your hair (especially your ends) are moisturized at all times and you'll be good. Plus what's the point to get to hip length and bun all the time? :perplexed: i mean really?

^You'll see:yep:.....it'll start gettin caught in EVERYTHING...no matter HOW careful you are! But at least you'll have the length to actually put it up during these times:grin:

Lady Esquire

The longer my hair was, the easier it was for me to wear it down. Plus once you get to the longer lengths, you're more likely to have a rock solid regimen and well-trained hair.

LovelyNaps26

i feel like what is the point of growing my hair out if i still have to protect ALL the time? trust once i get to mbl/wl (hopefully a year from now) i will be flaunting my hair. i like ps so i will still pin my hair up often but i will also be fine straightening it a few times a year. summer is automatically out b/c my hair would revert before i left the salon.