Long Haired Ladies Mbl Length And Beyond, How Long Did It Take To Reach Your Current Length??

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
And how tall are you? Height matters.

This thread can serve as a guide for an approximate time frame for those desiring such lengths.

What pitfalls did you have to climb out of to make it?

I'll go: It took me 3 years and 10 months to make it to Hip Length starting from the scalp. My last relaxer was 3 years and 10 months ago and I have not had any pitfalls/set backs.

*From scalp to MBL took 2 years and 1 month.

*From MLB to Hip Length took one year and 9 monthes, trims included. I am exactly 5 feet tall. My height gives me an advantage maybe.

What say you?

Last edited:

metro_qt

I'll go: It took me 3 years and 10 months to make it to Hip Length starting from the scalp. My last relaxer was 3 years and 10 months ago and I have not had any pitfalls/set backs.

From MLB to Hip Length took one year and 9 monthes, trims included. I am exactly 5 feet tall. My height gives me an advantage maybe.

What say you?

Do you remember how long it took you to reach BSL and MBL from scalp? And what is your average growth rate per month in inches would you say?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Do you remember how long it took you to reach BSL and MBL from scalp? And what is your average growth rate per month in inches would you say?
Yup I sure do!..it took 2 years and 1 month to go from scalp to MLB. My average growth rate is 1/2" per month.

Edit to add: it took me from 6/5/15 to 12/15/16 for my hair to get to (the top of) BSL. :scratchchin::dork:

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't think so @I Am So Blessed. Your growth rate was closer to 3/4 of an inch to an inch per month. Plus you retained most or all of it. That's commendable.
:lachen:. No! She said the "average" growth rate:D. Thats not counting my small growth spurts. See now, when you mention the word "retention" I feel like going into commercial mode about "Blue Magic Hair Grease"<-- Morgan Freeman voice.
But you're right I DID retain every last drop of growth.

BeautifulRoots

I started my healthy hair journey at bsl and it took around 3 years to get to full waist length including a few trims. I cut it to bsl then it grew back to my current waist length. Not sure of how long it took the second time around as I wasn't diligent with keeping up with length checks.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I started my healthy hair journey at bsl and it took around 3 years to get to full waist length including a few trims. I cut it to bsl then it grew back to my current waist length. Not sure of how long it took the second time around as I wasn't diligent with keeping up with length checks.
Wow! That's nice growing and to do it TWICE. That's good growing. How tall are you? If you don't mind.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
And how tall are you? Height matters.

This thread can serve as a guide for an approximate time frame for those desiring such lengths.

*From scalp to MBL took 2 years and 1 month.

*From MLB to Hip Length took one year and 9 monthes, trims included. I am exactly 5 feet tall. My height gives me an advantage maybe.

What say you?

Thank you !! For this thread !! And especially for the bolded !! Not that I knock anyone’s growth but girlfriend my lil sis is just 5 foot and trust she doesn’t need anything near the inches I do to reach MBL, esp since I have a long torso.

And it’s so helpful to get a peek into others journeys and realistic time frame. Thanks ladies for all the great responses. Keep em coming!

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun

I know you weren’t doing length checks but what do you think helped most to grow your hair back out ?

BeautifulRoots

I know you weren’t doing length checks but what do you think helped most to grow your hair back out ?

Low manipulation hair styles helped a lot the second time around. I styled my hair in braids/braidouts 99% of the time and only manipulated it during wash day to detangle. Also, I rarely used heat. I heat styled once every 2 years or so, maybe even longer. I wasn't intentionally avoiding heat, I just didn't want to take the extra time to heat style, lol. I believe it took way longer to grow this time around as I was a bit lazy with taking care of my hair.

The first time I was much more intentional with my hair care. I can say for sure that shea butter played a big role in retaining length as I used it pretty much exclusively for sealing during that 3 year period. Didnt realize shea was helping at the time, but I had the revelation last year after Chicoro asked if I ever used shea during my hair journey. I was also incorporating products with ayurvedic herbs such as vatika oil, shikakai shampoo bar, etc.

So long story short, low manipulation, shea butter, and ayurvedic products helped the most.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Thank you !! For this thread !! And especially for the bolded !! Not that I knock anyone’s growth but girlfriend my lil sis is just 5 foot and trust she doesn’t need anything near the inches I do to reach MBL, esp since I have a long torso.

And it’s so helpful to get a peek into others journeys and realistic time frame. Thanks ladies for all the great responses. Keep em coming!
EXACTLY! To this whole post. I always want to know how tall the person is because that really matters when it comes to reaching milestones. Mentioning height is so slept on. I'm five feet tall not an inch over, no wonder I made it to HL so fast.

You just can't get a realistic view into a hair journey without mentioning the height factor.

Thank you for posting .

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
EXACTLY! To this whole post. I always want to know how tall the person is because that really matters when it comes to reaching milestones. Mentioning height is so slept on. I'm five feet tall not an inch over, no wonder I made it to HL so fast.

You just can't get a realistic view into a hair journey without mentioning the height factor.

Thank you for posting .

Thank you for backing me up lol I never wanted to seem petty asking folks about their height but it’s definitely a factor. Would it be too much to ask ladies how many inches their hair is? :look:That seems most accurate and I think also makes people think about their growth rate vs retention.

For example if my hair grows ~1/4 (I think) avg and gained 2-3 inches by the end of the year congrats because basically retained all my growth. also makes it easier to estimate how long it’ll take to reach certain lengths. For example: my nape to MBL is ~12 inches so probably take me ~3 years *crying* to reach WL (currently SL) but this helps me not be disappointed or beat myself up for not getting there in one lol

Last edited:

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Low manipulation hair styles helped a lot the second time around. I styled my hair in braids/braidouts 99% of the time and only manipulated it during wash day to detangle. Also, I rarely used heat. I heat styled once every 2 years or so, maybe even longer. I wasn't intentionally avoiding heat, I just didn't want to take the extra time to heat style, lol. I believe it took way longer to grow this time around as I was a bit lazy with taking care of my hair.

The first time I was much more intentional with my hair care. I can say for sure that shea butter played a big role in retaining length as I used it pretty much exclusively for sealing during that 3 year period. Didnt realize shea was helping at the time, but I had the revelation last year after Chicoro asked if I ever used shea during my hair journey. I was also incorporating products with ayurvedic herbs such as vatika oil, shikakai shampoo bar, etc.

So long story short, low manipulation, shea butter, and ayurvedic products helped the most.

Thank you!! I am incorporating Shea butter (thanks @Chicoro) and Ayurvedic products consistently for all my washes and styling this year.

Still playing around with styles - twist and braid outs are my go to and I like wearing my hair out - but trying to keep the twists/braids in for longer, a couple days maybe, or bun more often

Looking forward to see stronger, thicker hair and greater retention by the end of the year =]

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Thank you for backing me up lol I never wanted to seem petty asking folks about their height but it’s definitely a factor. Would it be too much to ask ladies how many inches their hair is? :look:That seems most accurate and I think also makes people think about their growth rate vs retention.

For example if my hair grows ~1/4 (I think) avg and gained 2-3 inches by the end of the year congrats because basically retained all my growth. also makes it easier to estimate how long it’ll take to reach certain lengths. For example: my nape to MBL is ~12 inches so probably take me ~3 years *crying* to reach WL (currently SL) but this helps me not be disappointed or beat myself up for not getting there in one lol
Good point @ the bold. I will measure my hair this weekend. I think I have 20 inches, but I've been saying that number for a while now based off assumption or a prior measurement. So this weekend Ill know for sure.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@SunkissedLife said, Thank you!! I am incorporating Shea butter (thanks @Chicoro) and Ayurvedic products consistently for all my washes and styling this year.

I see you both.

Chicoro

So @Chicoro you just gone leave without telling us your height, length and timeline huh? OK.
;)

Well, to be honest, I don't agree with the height part. I say that because give or take a few inches, the difference in height is due to the length of the legs, not the length of the neck and/or torso, as it relates to most women. Once you get to thigh length, then I would agree that height has ,more bearing on time it takes to get to a certain length. But, this is my opinion based on a belief, not necessarily on researched facts. Even so, it's not important that I agree.

I will say, as it relates to height, that 28 inches (71.12 cm) of hair length on everyone,whether you are 6 foot tall or 5 foot tall, is either at tailbone length or close to it. I have yet to see this NOT be true. Also, the way one measures the hair is important. The 28 inches I am talking about is when you section your hair and have the tape measure touch that section of hair at the scalp, and go from root to tip. If that section measures minimum of 28 inches, then I can say with 98% certainty that the hair falls around, or close to tailbone length or beyond on the person, no matter the height.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Who knows off hand how many inches they have?

Length: 27 inches
Timeline: 2 years from waist length to tail bone length (8 to 9 inches)

I have 27 inches in some areas of my head, based upon measuring a section from root to tip, the process I detailed in post #26. Once I found a process that worked [an important caveat] for my hair at around waist length, it took me about 2 years to go from waist length to approaching tail bone. It took me 7 years to go from bra-strap to tailbone due to trying to find the process that worked for my hair, 2012 to 2019. That 7 years is consistent in my mind because it seems like it takes the average person, with afro textured hair, about 8 years to get to tailbone length, even if they started with hair shorter than shoulder length.

My hair grows an average of 1/2 inch a month, but in sporadic areas, ie on invdividual strands, not the bulk of my hair. That 1/2 inch of growth does not occur in the same section, at the same time.

Lastly, the process I used to go from bra to waist length did not work when I tried to grow beyond waist length. For 'my' hair, I had to change up my process each time I hit a new length: to get to armpit, mid back, bra strap, waist length and tailbone. That's 5 different processes. The longer the length I was trying to reach, the less room I had for error and the more precise and rigid my process needed to be.

It was the finding of the workable and effective processes at each new length that took time to 'discover' or develop. Once I figured those processes out that were effective in helping me gain length, then I seemed to easily gain the length. The hard part was finding the working process. Sometimes it took months, and sometimes it took me several years.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

Thank you!! I am incorporating Shea butter (thanks @Chicoro) and Ayurvedic products consistently for all my washes and styling this year.

Still playing around with styles - twist and braid outs are my go to and I like wearing my hair out - but trying to keep the twists/braids in for longer, a couple days maybe, or bun more often

Looking forward to see stronger, thicker hair and greater retention by the end of the year =]
Awesome! Keep us updated with your progress.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Length: 27 inches
Timeline: 2 years from waist length to tail bone length (8 to 9 inches)

I have 27 inches in some areas of my head, based upon measuring a section from root to tip, the process I detailed in post #26. Once I found a process that worked [an important caveat] for my hair at around waist length, it took me about 2 years to go from waist length to approaching tail bone. It took me 7 years to go from bra-strap to tailbone due to trying to find the process that worked for my hair, 2012 to 2019. That 7 years is consistent in my mind because it seems like it takes the average person, with afro textured hair, about 8 years to get to tailbone length, even if they started with hair shorter than shoulder length.

My hair grows an average of 1/2 inch a month, but in sporadic areas, ie on invdividual strands, not the bulk of my hair. That 1/2 inch of growth does not occur in the same section, at the same time.

Lastly, the process I used to go from bra to waist length did not work when I tried to grow beyond waist length. For 'my' hair, I had to change up my process each time I hit a new length: to get to armpit, mid back, bra strap, waist length and tailbone. That's 5 different processes. The longer the length I was trying to reach, the less room I had for error and the more precise and rigid my process needed to be.

It was the finding of the workable and effective processes at each new length that took time to 'discover' or develop. Once I figured those processes out that were effective in helping me gain length, then I seemed to easily gain the length. The hard part was finding the working process. Sometimes it took months, and sometimes it took me several years.

I think what @Chicoro said is KEY. You kind of have to relearn what works for your hair at every new major length milestone. That’s not something I ever thought about I guess I kind of figured once I found a great routine that would be it silly me. I will keep this in mind on my journey to long, strong, healthy hair.

Also @I Am So Blessed I agree I don’t think anyone would know offhand. You would definitely have to measure and as Chicori said from scalp to tip. I guess I’m thinking about it because my lil sis bought some hair and it was about APL/MBL on her in comparison I tried to use some of it and it Was about nape/SL

Royalq

My hair is 18~19 inches in the front. Sides and back grow slower so it always look kind of like a blunt even cut