Long Locs?

wilmaty

Does anyone here have an opinion on growing long locs? Is the process the same, sans the heat and straightening of course.

I have found some great info on this site for my teens and have already started the baggie technique on my daughter with the perm and will begin working on my transitioning child this eve. But I would like the ladies opinions on the loc situation.

BaBy_PhAt

wilmaty said:
Does anyone here have an opinion on growing long locs? Is the process the same, sans the heat and straightening of course.

I have found some great info on this site for my teens and have already started the baggie technique on my daughter with the perm and will begin working on my transitioning child this eve. But I would like the ladies opinions on the loc situation.
Greetings:

I just recieved an instant message from my friend in reference to your question

Well for starters you can lock your own hair just by simply waiting out your perm if you have one or if you are natural just braid the hair no matter the thicknest or the length and just leaving them in. or you can have them professionally done by a local salon or a braiding boutique.

The mantaince is quite easy
1. wash hair about once every 3 to 4 weeks depending upon yourself
2. Retwist the new growth while damp with bees wax or jamaician lock jel which is the BOMB....
3. you can either sit under hair dryer for 30-45 mins. or let air dry
4. Always and Always keep your scalp oiled with either some type of lock spray or olive oil What I reccomend is to try and use all the jamaician lock products they have worked wonders for my Fiance'

Salaam

Healthb4Length

I'm assuming you are refering to dreds? Correct? When I started my friends locs, I first started with palm rolls, I started off using gel for hold. I didn't wash the hair for 3 weeks the first time just to let the dreds set (plus it was my first time doing it) then When I washed I did so with a stocking cap as not to disturb the palm rolls. Then I would wash weekly or biweekly, I would retwist the new growth every 5-6 weeks with gel but you can use beeswax, aloe vera, or natural butters like shea, mango or avocado. My friend has type 3c hair and it took her approximately 6 months for the hair to permanently lock. It's been 3 years, her hair is beautiful, I maintain it by having her wash it every 2 weeks, hot oil treatments every month and retwist every 6 weeks. I trim them up every 4 weeks (frizzies) and if necessary I remove lint every 4 weeks as well but since I'm a stickler for beautiful dreds, lint and dust are not big problems for us. In the winter months I have her use braid spray daily, and if there is excessive dryness she does the baggie method (sleeps with a plastic baggie with lots of oils on the ends of the dreds to preserve moisture), I also put a permanent color on the tips of the dreds and we style it with spiral curls, crinkles, faux-hawk dreds, you name it we've done it. There are a world of options for dred styles. GOOD LUCK!:)

wilmaty

Thank ya'll so much! I recently went to a loc stylist who interlocked my hair and I love it. She uses all natural products by Taliah Waajid. She styled them and they look and feel so much better than I ever thought. I think she is the one for me. She washed and conditioned them and palm rolled them. I love it!

Healthb4Length

wilmaty said:
Thank ya'll so much! I recently went to a loc stylist who interlocked my hair and I love it. She uses all natural products by Taliah Waajid. She styled them and they look and feel so much better than I ever thought. I think she is the one for me. She washed and conditioned them and palm rolled them. I love it!

Glad you had a great experience! I hope that we can see some pics of your pretty locs because IMO there are many loced styles showcased on this site and I would love to see some.:)

wilmaty

Hey Alli I have posted one picture of myself with my little locs. I will do a better one once I have them styled again!