Long-term Naturals Who Are Over Their Hair

silverbuttons

Not Impressed
Let's see, I have straightened my hair 3x since mid-2013:ohwell:

If I did that more, maybe I'd like my hair more. I have a lovely flat iron that I haven't touched in 2 years. I'm afraid that the second I turn it on, the fuse will blow up because it's an American product on a European wattage. I gotta find a workaround for that BC the thing is simply not being used.

I told myself this year that I was going to set my hair more... Like 2x per month to start. The ideal scenario is to get someone to do it for me:cry: I'll need to research that.

I'm in buns all the damn time now. I can't muster up 3-4 hours doing my hair like I used to anymore. It's boring!!

Why don't you blow out your hair to enjoy your length?

thickness

I'm over twist outs and braid outs. After 2 years, I recently wore my hair straightened. I loved it and now I plan on wearing it straight for a few months. I'm currently working on a kinky straight wig with a closure. Even though I never had problems, I'll never go back to perming or texturizing.

SheenaVee

Bruh...I get bored with mine about once a year. Been natural going on 7 years now. I usually either cut it or dye or both when I get bored. My most recent bout of boredom resulted in a cut. I'm now bored of this length and want it long again :lol:.

However, I love my curls too much and find straight hair boring on me now to ever relax again. Haven't even straightened in years because I get bored of it straight after about 2 days and want to wash it.

yardyspice

I could have written the OP a few weeks ago. I even looked up deva cut salons but I reminded myself that this is my mo when my hair is uneven. When I get tired of my hair, I just buy a wig because I spent years cutting, coloring, and straightening only to have setbacks. Now I'm into clip ins either diy or premade.

Southernbella.

I locked my hair back in June. It had been kind of a long-term life goal of mine to loc eventually, and I just went for it. I was totally over caring for (and about) my natural hair.

I absolutely love my locs, but I'm still wearing wigs until I gain the length I want. The hardest part about locking was going from BSB to ear length in the 3 hours it took to install the locs. LOL! I don't believe in short hair, so I'm keeping them hidden until they grow out. My stylist says it will take me about 3 years to get to WL locked.

@Southernbella. My 39th birthday was New Year's Day, and I guess it had been vaguely in my mind to be locked by 40. Let me know if you take the plunge...it's so exciting and I know it will look great on you. :yep:

I didnt know you locked! I'm so glad you posted this. I forgot about shrinkage. I may do loc extensions so I can keep some length.

MzLady78

I'm over it myself :rolleyes: Been natural 5 years and still not over APL, so I've come to the realization I'm just not one of those women meant to have natural long hair. I don't make a fuss over it anymore and just keep it in small twists. I barely even wash or condition it anymore either, I just spritz with water and KIM.

So bored with it! :wallbash:

I think I'm on year 5 myself and I still haven't made it to APL. It's probably my fault cuz I don't maintain it like I should. But I just can't be bothered, it doesn't seem to like any products, doesn't hold moisture for ish and just trying to get it into a decent looking bun is a chore. I've been wigging it since before last summer.

spacetygrss

Look. In May I will have been natural for 15 years. The novelty wore off a LONG time ago for me. Every now and then I get the experimentation bug, but then I snap out of it and I'm right back to my normal self. My hair is in twists or a bun most of the time. I keep telling myself that I want to grow my hair to WL, but I get lazy as heck every time I get past APL and find some reason why it needs to be cut back to APL. Ain't nobody got time for alladat.

Miss_C

i wasn't over my natural hair but i was ready to go back to relaxed..i loved my natural hair i went natural twice ( 3 yrs each time)..and i realized from a bc to bsl that is the exact length my hair grows to in 3 yrs, bsl..i did every natural style known to man and loved it and everyone loved it on me as well but the issue for me is i have thick hair

the time it took my stylist to flatiron my hair and the amount of heat necessary was unreal lol..my hair was beautiful afterwards and looked amazing but the time it took to flatiron my entire head and i have very dense hair...lol

like the stylist would need a full bottle of water and a workout outfit with head band to conquer my hair lol start to finish...i am 3c/4a...I just want to rollerset my hair and be done with it

again i loved my natural tresses but it was just time for a change....my hair is relaxed but still has a ton of body as my hair is pretty dense but relaxer, dc, rollerset took 1.5 hours my hair was done! and swinging...;)

Ugh don't tempt me! I have dreams about that kind of thing.

brg240

I've been natural for 8 yrs and I'm definitely over it. I don't even stress about length anymore. I'd rather just wear wigs and get my hair flat ironed or keep it twisted. I liked having a weave but dealing with the leave out was a pain.
I was thinking I really need a weave, but I've never had one and I know myself. I'd be too lazy/overwhelmed to take care of it

mstar

Luxury bacon
I didnt know you locked! I'm so glad you posted this. I forgot about shrinkage. I may do loc extensions so I can keep some length.
Yeah I decided to start them au naturel because I wanted to see how mine would develop on their own. Watching my locs grow naturally is such a delight that I don't want to hide them under extensions! But they have already grown out enough that it's becoming difficult to wear them under my wigs...I have to get them cornrowed down, which I don't like. Adding some extensions would give me a little more freedom to ditch the wigs.

I'm planning to get pregnant this year, so that will give me a big boost in length, hopefully enough that I'll feel comfortable wearing them out full time. Stay tuned!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
:wavey: I'm here. I've been natural 10 years but i wear it in a bun for the most part. I've reached waist length several times but at that point it gets unmanageable. For the past couple of years i've kept it apl and i'll wear it down from time to time in the summer. I really want to cut it short but i know the grow out will kill me unless i keep it short and i'm not committed to that yet. I'm not gonna perm and unless i become rastafarian dh is not into locs. he likes the big fluffy fro look lol. I'm thinking to do mini twists with synthetic hair added so I can keep them in for a couple of months. I don't know...

Misseyl

@ms-gg Your hair is very pretty.
I wish I was over my hair but it isn't that long so I have a long way to go before I'm over it. I guess if/when I get to collarbone/bra strap then I'll see how I feel but I love my hair too much to be that bothered.:afro:

PlatinumBronze

Living my life like its Platinum!
I was over being natural after the 3rd year. I really wanted to locs but ended up texlaxing. Although I'm texlaxed my hair is still very kinky so I still feel natural. My hair stays flat ironed and/or braided up as it is now. Once my braids come out I'm going to get it texlaxed straighter & heat train because I want my hair to look relaxed. If it was for the fact I'm color treated I'd get a bone straight relaxer.

nathansgirl1908

Bruh...I get bored with mine about once a year. Been natural going on 7 years now. I usually either cut it or dye or both when I get bored. My most recent bout of boredom resulted in a cut. I'm now bored of this length and want it long again :lol:.

However, I love my curls too much and find straight hair boring on me now to ever relax again. Haven't even straightened in years because I get bored of it straight after about 2 days and want to wash it.
That's how I feel. I like it straightened to check my length, but I get bored with it and want to go back to my curls.

I think another reason Ive gotten frustrated is that twist outs seemed to do more harm than good for my hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Of course n reading the responses has reminded me how bored and over my hair I am. Thanks OP. :lol:

I don't normally do wng for ssk but im tempted to do that tomorrow because my tuck n roll is reeeaaaaally tired. :yawn:

OriginalMe

I went natural my freshman year of college in 1997. Had locs for 7 years, got rid of those and grew my hair to WL. It was a lot of work maintaining all that hair so it stayed in a bun most of the time. I got tired of living my life with my hair in a bun, with only an ocassional twist out or flat iron, so last summer I got it cut into a cute little tapered fro. I love it. Not sure what my long term plans for it are though.

gimbap

I've been natural for 6.5 years. My hair is always either down or in a puff. I'm bored with it, but I was even more boring with my relaxed hair. At least my natural hair looks a lot better on me.

I want to dye it. I would dabble in weaves, but the upkeep is too expensive. I'm not about that life. I'll probably braid it up in the summer

CarLiTa

I absolutely love my locs, but I'm still wearing wigs until I gain the length I want. The hardest part about locking was going from BSB to ear length in the 3 hours it took to install the locs. LOL! I don't believe in short hair, so I'm keeping them hidden until they grow out. My stylist says it will take me about 3 years to get to WL locked.

Wait a minute. Is that what happens when hair gets locked?? From BSB to ear length?!

CarLiTa

Nah, I enjoy hair products too much to be over it. Besides, I left that styling stuff alone a long time ago. For me, nothing beats a nice, bushy ponytail.

That has never been me. I buy a lot of products on a rare occasion. Then I'm over that too. Taking up all this space. Ugh. And when they work well for a couple months, and then not anymore. Too.much.

In fact, I'm at my mother's right now and using her products has me wanting to buy hair grease and the products I supposedly shunned years ago. Some of the natchal stuff ain't working for me.