Long-term relaxer stretchers/Transitioners...Let's Chat!

*Muffin*

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you?
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth?
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures?
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers?
  6. Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for?
TIA :).

beans4reezy

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you?Around week 16, it starts to get rough for me.
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)I don't use heat tohelp me through the stretch. I feel it may be damaging to my hair and would therefore be counter productive. I use braids and wigs so that my hair does not need to be manipulated daily
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? Yes, I start washing less the deeper I get into my stretch. Every two weeks, instead of every week. When I am really, really far into my stretch, I wash and DC my hair in braids ONLY- wait for my hair to air dry, then rebraid, braid-by-braid.
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? I just try not to manipulate my hair at all. Especially when I am really deep into my stretch. Braids and wigs really help me through this.
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? I typically stretch for a minimum of six months.

txcurly10

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? I am headed into month 8, and it's starting to get a little difficult to deal with.
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) I wear my phony pony A LOT. I also get my hair flat ironed at the salon twice a month so I can just have a break.
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? I work out a lot so I wash my hair as needed, regardless of the amount of new growth.
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? I just make sure to keep my hair moisturized, and do good job with detangling. If I do that, I generally don't have too many problems.
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? N/A
  6. Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for? 1 year to 18 months

Bun Mistress

Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you?
Months 4 through were bad then I start wahing in sections and it got alot easier.
Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)
I'm trying to wear my hair straigth more b/c then I hav eto do less to it. When it was warmer I wouls wash twice a week and air dry. Its too cool for airdrying now so I've been rting rollersets again.
Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth?
Up till this month no and I plan to go back to twistout when its warmer again.

Anything else help you to deal with the two textures?
Washing in sections, daily finger detailing. Never using a comb when my hair is dry.

Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for?
No BC plans. Just growing out the relaxer.

ceebee3

I don't know what happened, I'll repost

I used to relax every year or so before I joined hair boards and started taking care of my hair. At that time, I had no idea what stretching was.

This year, I've relaxed every 12 weeks. My last relaxer was in August and and I'm stretching/transitioning until next July.

Not sure, I'm 13 weeks post and I still do everything the same-prepoo, wash, deep condition, rollerset
Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)

I will be braiding my hair and protective styling for the rest of the winter. I just do two braids or a bun.

Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? - I wash my hair the same it's easier to manage when I wash every week.

Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? - I don't use heat to blend the two textures it's easier to do a style that blends the relaxed hair with my new growth like curly sets or braid outs.

Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? - Usually every 12 weeks

- I will probably transition for a very long time, not sure yet.

Last edited:

charmtreese

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? Week 14
2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) Nope, I rollerset the whole way through
3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? I wash once a week all the way through, from beginning to end.
4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? Using a scarf to flatten out and straighten my ng.
5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? Normally between 12-24 weeks. However, Im trying to make an effort not to stretch more than 16 weeks.

onejamifan

Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? I am 6 months into my transition and so far so good. I did decide to detangle while I was rollersetting yesterday instead of in the shower, and it took me a loooong time. Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep my relaxed ends from getting so darn tangled when wet

Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) I am roller setting and flatironing for the winter months. I will be doing this every 1-2 weeks. It allows me to go a while between washes and have my hair still look styled

Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? Less frequently right now, but I'm not sure what will happen once I'm one year out.

Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? Using a very moisturizing conditioner on wash day and wearing my hair straight. I still can't get my roots as straight as my relaxed ends, but it keeps the tangles at bay somewhat.

Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for? I am aiming for 2 years

PecanCandy

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? I would say month 4 or 5.
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) I have been wearing wigs during the week and a faux bun on the week-ends.
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? I def wash less, because my relaxed hair and new growth don't play well together.
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? Washing my hair in 5 sections has helped tremendously. I also bought a sample of AOHC, and it has helped with my hair's dryness. This will now be a staple throughout my transition.
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? Before I decided to transition, it was every 4 months.
  6. Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for? I hope until there are no relaxed ends left, but realistically 18mnths-2years. I'm in month 6. :yep:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
  1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? around the 4th month
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) i have been doing the crown and glory method using braids
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? When I am in braids I tend to co-wash everyother day rotating moisture and protein condish, on Sundays I clarify and do a steam treatment. I notice that when I take my braids out my hair is softer and easier to detangle
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? I do a protein treatment every 10 weeks and I do a henna treatment every 8 weeks these both help keep the demarcation line strong and I also be very mindful of my moisture/protein balance.
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? My last stretch was 53 weeks (1yr and 1 week) I am 8 weeks into a 58-60 week stretch. I relaxed in Sept of this year and I wont relax again until Nov. of 2010.

*Muffin*

1. Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? around the 4th month
  2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) i have been doing the crown and glory method using braids
  3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? When I am in braids I tend to co-wash everyother day rotating moisture and protein condish, on Sundays I clarify and do a steam treatment. I notice that when I take my braids out my hair is softer and easier to detangle
  4. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? I do a protein treatment every 10 weeks and I do a henna treatment every 8 weeks these both help keep the demarcation line strong and I also be very mindful of my moisture/protein balance.
  5. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? My last stretch was 53 weeks (1yr and 1 week) I am 8 weeks into a 58-60 week stretch. I relaxed in Sept of this year and I wont relax again until Nov. of 2010.

:shocked: That's amazing! Wow...My goal is to only relax twice a year. You're definitely an inspiration :yep:.

Highly Favored8

Around week 16 it gets tough for me. I do protective styles. I do not use heat. I relax anywhere from 12-16 weeks. I used to go for 26 weeks. I did it once and my hair broke off. So, now I just go 4 times a year to relax my hair.

mezzogirl

This is a very inspiring thread for me. I am trying to do my first 12 week stretch. I want to relax so badly( and I'm 8 1/2 weeks post) for no other reason than I'm used to it and don't know what to do with my hair. I get bored with my hair VERY easily.

goodmorningruby

• Around what week/month does it start getting complicated for you? I was getting frustrated (and still get occasionally frustrated) after month 3. But I've found new ways to make the process easier on myself.

• Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..) Doing everything in four solid sections, and I mean EVERYTHING. Dentangling, washing, conditioning, styling, rinsing, moisturizing, etc. I try to keep heat to an absolute minimum. I have flat ironed once since my last relaxer, and used only a blow dryer on a handful of occasions. I hardly ever wear braids, never wear wigs, weaves or phony ponies, and I never let the hair dry loose. Bantu knots are a staple, and I will be trying mesh rollersets soon; the magnetic rollers didn't agree with me.

• Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? I think washing more for me is better than washing less than usual because my fine hair and scalp are vulnerable to easy build-up, and I'm working hard to keep the new growth soft and pliable. Plus I tend to DC just as often.

• Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? Patience, gentle handling, lots of slip, AVC rinses, oil rinses, frequent DCing, determination, drinking water...

• Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers? 6 months at a time. I'm considering a full year.
I'm almost 5 months post texlaxer.

MummysGirl

It's not complicated... yet. I'm 11 months post. I think it's going to get interesting when I have more new growth than relaxed ends...
2. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)
My middle siggy style has been a huge help since I tried it out almost 20 weeks ago. 3 weeks on, 1 week off (during the week off, I do my curly styles, R+L siggy pics)
3. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth?
No. I still cowash 3-4 times a week, having my braids (no extensions) in, makes it easy to do so without worrying about detangling. The week I have my hair out, I'm so excited to cowash my hair often so I can play in it.
DC'ing
Cowashing
Finger detangle while rinsing out conditioner and with a wide tooth comb after applying leave in to damp hair. I don't comb my new growth once it's dried
Moisturising...

N/A
MINIMUM of 18 months. I'd love to go longer but I'll decide when I get there.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Month 4ish and months 7-8ish

I use braids a lot, especially when I get frustrated. I also use phony ponies and occasionally I use heat.

As long as I DC at least weekly my NG is super manageable

Just being careful when you detangle, cowashing, and I can't emphasize enough DCing regularly

18-24 months, maybe more

janeemat

I just finished a 20 wk stretch. Around wk 17 all h*ll broke loose.
  1. Do you use alternative means to help you stretch/transition (heat styling, braiding, etc..)
I did blowout my roots to help tame things down. Detangling was my issue so I used everything under the kitchen sink to help.
  1. Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth?
I think less would have been better for me, but due to swim I was wetting my hair 3 times a week. Swimming had no ill effects on my hair at all.
  1. Anything else help you to deal with the two textures?
Conditioner and patience. Sebastian pentraitt also helped quite a bit.
  1. Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers?
This was my first 20 wk stretch and my last. I will stick to 12-14 wks. If I ever transition, I will just cut it off.
  1. Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for?
TIA :).

Good Luck with your transition!

Diva_Esq

It has been fairly easy this time around b/c unlike my last transition, I am not fighting against my hair. I am not insisting that I maintain stick straight hair at all times. I bun a lot more and I am sacrificing wearing my hair down to retain length. If I have any challenge or complication, it is resisting my inclination toward big chopping instead of my original plan of a long-term transition. I am 6 months (29 weeks) post, transitioning.

I use heat styling (as in flat ironing) very sparingly. Mostly buns, braidouts, roller/ rod sets and twistouts.

Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth?
I usually wash my hair 4-7x a week depending on how it is styled. I wet bun, so the 4-7x is my daily or every other day co-washes. If I flat iron or rollerset, I'd wash after 4-5 days.

Anything else help you to deal with the two textures?
Just what I mentioned above. And great conditioners that help me stay tangle free & keep my NG moisturized. Not fighting against my hair.

Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers?
N/A

Minimum 1-2 years, may never BC.

crazydaze911

Month 3 (i used to relax at 10-12 weeks so this was right on time) is when i started feeling uneasy - month 6 to 9 were HORRIBLE for me - thats when u start doubting urself and either give in to the creamy crack or give up on styling - i chose to give up on styling lol. After a year or so (depending on ur rate of growth) it becomes 10x easier, virtual breeze..

[*]Do you find washing your hair less or more when you're dealing with a lot of new growth? first time i transitioned less was more. i washed once a week and brushed into a bun - EVERYDAY - didnt care how i looked and wasnt gentle. Second time around i cared more about being presentable and caring for my hair so i washed twice a week, drowning my hair in conditioner and putting tea tree oil or some other 'tonic' on my scalp to help comb out tangles.

[*]Anything else help you to deal with the two textures? LOTS OF CONDITIONER and keeping my hair long enough to make a pony tail or bun. GEL was very important as well - aloe vera mixed with smthg a bit stronger and sleeping with a scarf.

[*]Relaxer stretchers: How long do you stretch your relaxers?
i used to stretch for three months. i was planning a 1 year stretch, but once i made it that far, i figured i might as well stay natural. my hair always grew better natural anyways.

[*]Transitioners: How long are you planning on transitioning for?
I am transitioning indefinitely - so basically FOREVER lol. So far, next monday will make 3 years - i still have alot of relaxed ends.

Last edited: