Long time board members - What is your...

nita4

winter hair care regimen? How many of you have a winter hair care regimen and what exactly is it that you do and/or change for this time of year?? One of my biggest concerns is the drying indoor heat. Is there anything else I should be on the look out for?? Thxs

G

Yes! There are winter culprits to be aware of as not to wreck havoc on your tresses! Here's my list....
<font color="red">1. Not only do you have to be worry about the dry indoor air, but the drying cold winter air and that wind!!!!Try moisturizing hair as much as possible, and deep conditioning every time you wash the hair. </font color>
<font color="orange">2. Beware of wool anything ! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif ,that goes for coats, hats, turtleneck sweaters, scarves, any of these that come in contact with your hair will break your hair off something terrible (as my Mama would say) </font color>
<font color="yellow">Wear protective styles as much as possible. The cold air can be drying and not to mention the wind that can tangle the mess out of your hair, to prevent too much exposure, just put it up. Simple as that! </font color>
<font color="green"> These are my suggestions. I don't really alter my hair care regimen for the winter outside of these 3 things. I pretty much do the same amount of washings per week and take the same vitamins.... you just gotta give hair a lil' extra attention in the colder months. </font color>

G

Sorry that yellow didn\'t show up too well.....

if you click on it and highlight it, it turns blue, and it's much easier to read.

Tracy

Re: Sorry that yellow didn\'t show up too well.....

I add more moisturizing conditioners into my regime in the winter and I increase my deep conditioning. I mostly deep condition with each wash - but in the summer I can wash and go more. I don't do this in the winter.

Like Caramela, I also moisturize more and watch the scarves and hats. No matter how cold it is I never wear a hat - I have a large silk pashmina that I warp myself in which dies the trick. I'm not advocating this approach (I get the flu EVERY year) but it's what I do - pneumonia be damned - it's hair that counts ! LOL! I also keep my hair up a lot. Even when I really want to wear it down. If there's ever a time I'm good about this it's the winter. My hair tangles when it's windy and the winter is good for that.

What else....I tuck my hair into my jacket if it is out - to cut down on it blowing around - but beleive it or not I layer it between layers of the scarf - so I wrap the silk pashmina around my body let my hair down and then wrap it again so there is silk between my shirt and the hair as well as between my coat and the hair.

Oh also - if it's dry, indoor heat you are concerned about there are two things you do: 1. minimize or eliminate alll direct heat - blowdriers, curling irons etc. More now than ever. And Put a humidifier in your room - this is good for keeping moisture both in the hair and skin. My Mom does this....works wonders for her. I can't because I'm asthmatic and it makes it hard to breathe - but it's worth a try.

HTH!

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Re: Sorry that yellow didn\'t show up too well.....

Welp, I got a trusty bottle of jojoba oil and I'm gonna go buy hats on Thursday. As soon as I'm ready, Twin Cities weather, gimme all ya got!!!

sweetcocoa

<font color="purple">For me my rollersets are more moisturizing(and come out better) then my natural hair...it seems to dry out faster. I use extra of my hair pomade, cover my hair before going outside(lining my hats with satin first) and thats about it.</font color>
<font color="blue">Honeyvibe...I love that little action icon with the swords!</font color> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lucia

I keep doing the same regime basically except I make sure I drink enough water like the summer months and deep condition my hair a little longer with more oil on a daily basis.
hth

nita4

Thanks ladies! These are great tips. I never really considered cold winter air to be drying??? /images/graemlins/blush.gif Just the indoor air with the heater constantly running.

Humm... okay, roller sets; moisturize and condition as much as possible, protective sytles, watch the wool, use satin liners under hats, I have a humidifier, jojoba oil. Sweetcocoa, I wish you would just market that pomade so I could just buy it, to lazy to make my own. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Worse than drying, Nita. It's freezing. Sending these cold shocks up the hair shaft is damaging to the hair like excessive heat.
I'm not sure that it actually restructures the surface of the shaft like a hot iron does, but harsh cold will exacerbate your split ends.

LondonDiva

One thing I'm gonna try this winter (infact I should be trying it all through the year) is to take flaxseed oil to moisturise my hair from the inside.

I'm not advocating this approach (I get the flu EVERY year) but it's what I do - pneumonia be damned - it's hair that counts !
LMAO @ Tracy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

henrilou

Me. For the cold days I definitely make a point of using heavier oils. ( I have stayed away from mineral oil for a year and I have noticed the difference) And I don't go anywhere with out oiling the ends and xtra time. But this winter, I am going to weave. I am getting one next week. My hair is long, but I want 5 more inches and I think I can get over the hump by weaving it this winter.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Does a humidifier really make that much difference? Winter in Texas is not that bad. Twin Cities--poor baby!

Honey Vibe, I am loving your little icons /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Honey Vibe your smilies have me cracking up.

BTW I meant to ask you is your username named after the magazines?
I'm a Honey, Vibe, Source, Hype Hair, Try it yourself hair, Sister 2 Sister, Sophisticates magazine junkie

Oh and National Enquirer too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif