Longterm phytorelaxer users

achangedlife

I'm thinking about getting a phytorelaxer in a couple of weeks and I have some questions (yes I read all the threads but I still need some answers).

How long have you been using the phytorelaxer? Are there any longterm benefits to sticking with this relaxer? Is it easier to stretch your relaxers? Do you use any other phyto products and do you think they help in stretching or maintaining your relaxer?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

SohoHair

I've used phyto for my last 4 touchups which are spaced about 10-12 weeks apart. I've noticed stronger heavier hair, less scalp burning/irritatation, less flat hair in the days following my relaxer. I am now texlaxing with phyto and while my hair still has a lot of curl and body to it, it is veeeeeeeeeeeeery easy to detangle on wash day. I do not use any other phyto products.

Royal Glory

I have only touched up with Phyto once, about a week ago. So I know I don't qualify as a long-term user and I am also curious to hear what they have to say.

But my hair felt stronger right after and still does. It also didn't leave my hair as flat as most of my touch ups have. The main reason I switched is because it is supposed to be less damaging.

I do use the PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Shampoo and Mask. I like the shampoo okay, but I love :love: the Mask. It is rich and luscious and leaves my hair well conditioned.

alexstin

I'll be watching this thread as I'm touching up with Phyto for the first time on Thurs or Friday.

ichephren

I've used phyto since march 2004 and the only thing that I'd watch out for is dryness. I have found that the hair is a bit dryer than lyed hair. However, the benefits far outweigh a little dryness, especially if you deep condition once a week. The hair is stronger, more vibrant, etc. I can stretch for 5-6mths at a time b/c I only texturize for about 15-20mins. I also just relaxed a few days ago, and my hair is extremely full, instead of flat for a month until my hair starts growing in. Phyto is just awesome, period!

mahogany66

I am not a longterm phyto user but I have NEVER used a relaxer like this before. Since the first time I used it my hair became STRONGER and HEALTHIER. I now use the entire line and my hair is doing VERY well. I will never use anything else.

Mystic

I have been using Phyto for 1.5 year and the benefits are great; more body, bounce, fullness, stronger strands, ability to stretch relaxer longer, etc. I used to use Affirm and even though my hair was not as dry, it was lifeless and thin; I could not stretch my relaxer longer than 8 weeks. With Phyto, stretching is not an issue. I believe this is because phyto does not break down the hair bonds too much, so the relaxed hair strands feel stronger. As a result, combing the hair is not as damaging since there is not alot of pulling /tugging between the NG and the ends because the relaxed part is not too weak. When I used Affirm, the relaxed part was so weak, manipulation between the NG and ends was difficult so I had to relax quickly to avoid pulling out my hair.

The only con I have seen - which is a result of my doing is - I relaxed my hair myself in the intial stages, using Index 1. My hair was underprocessed so the ends are not smooth; this is where my biggest problem is. My ends are the driest part of my hair and the most problematic. I started going to the hairdresser for the last 2 relaxers, and the area that she relaxed is great - not dry at all - but my ends are a work in progress. Sometimes I feel like cutting it off and start over but it is getting better.

My advice, ensure that the relaxer is properly applied and smoothed so there is uniform consistency. Use a clarifying shampoo for buildup or else, overtime, you hair might become drier.

Last edited:

MonaLisa

ivanay said:
I have been using Phyto for 1.5 year and the benefits are great; more body, bounce, fullness, stronger strands, ability to stretch relaxer longer, etc. I used to use Affirm and even though my hair was not as dry, it was lifeless and thin; I could not stretch my relaxer longer than 8 weeks.

With Phyto, stretching is not an issue. I believe this is because phyto does not break down the hair bonds too much, so the relaxed hair strands feel stronger. As a result, combing the hair is not as damaging since there is not alot of pulling /tugging between the NG and the ends because the relaxed part is not too weak.

Nicely said ivanay :D. I'm approaching my 2 year mark with Phyto...and I could see the difference with my hair. The most amazing thing for me..for ME...cause I have a sensitive scalp...just no burning, just a pleasant relaxing experience...and I could stretch relaxers...which has made a BIG difference in the quality of my hair...and my ends (in addition to my hair overall), which I try to take care of,are in the best condition they've ever been.

I condition my hair on the regular and I've never encountered the dryness issue that has been a problem for some. I do clarify my hair and make sure my hair is combed thoroughly and in good condtion before any Phytorelaxer application.

I have the Intense Nutrition Mask sitting on my shelf and another bottle in my closet:D ...which I love :love:; I've also used the shampoo, which I like, but not as much as I love the Mask. I also use the intense oil treatments. Right now, I'm eyeing the Phyto Hair Shine, just to try.

I'm sorry that this product doesn't work for everyone...but I'm happy that it worked out for me..it took me so long to find the right one. I thought about straying for a fraction of a minute...but I brought my arse back home, I ain't goin nowhere...:)

achangedlife

Thank you ladies for responding. I'm 6wks post touch up and I usually get a touch up at this time. At this point my hair looks awful, dry and the newgrowths drive me crazy.

However, for the last two weeks I've been using the phytospecifics line (got them on sale for 30% off at a local salon) and for the first time in a long time I don't feel like I have to relax right now. My newgrowths are more managable and my hair looks shiny when I take it out of my rollerset, even before I add the shae butter creme. I use the moisturizing balm to smooth my edges and my hair actually looks presentable right now.

I may wait a little longer or I may go ahead and relax in the coming week because I'm anxious to try the relaxer. My main complaint about my hair is that it is to fine to do anything nice with. My current hairdresser says that my hair is so thin because my previous hairdresser overlapped the relaxers. Even though she doesn't overlap I don't have much body after using affirm or mizani so I'm excited to see what phyto can do for me. The only thing is that I will have to change hairdressers cause JCPenny won't allow me to bring my own relaxer. Now I'm worried that the new hairdresser may overlap. Decisions, decisions! This salon applies phyto for only $65 (I hope I heard her right), that's less than I pay at JCPenny's.

Anyways I'll keep you ladies posted. Thanks for replying.

MonaLisa

achangedlife said:
Thank you ladies for responding. I'm 6wks post touch up and I usually get a touch up at this time. At this point my hair looks awful, dry and the newgrowths drive me crazy.

However, for the last two weeks I've been using the phytospecifics line (got them on sale for 30% off at a local salon) and for the first time in a long time I don't feel like I have to relax right now. My newgrowths are more managable and my hair looks shiny when I take it out of my rollerset, even before I add the shae butter creme. I use the moisturizing balm to smooth my edges and my hair actually looks presentable right now.

I may wait a little longer or I may go ahead and relax in the coming week because I'm anxious to try the relaxer. My main complaint about my hair is that it is to fine to do anything nice with. My current hairdresser says that my hair is so thin because my previous hairdresser overlapped the relaxers. Even though she doesn't overlap I don't have much body after using affirm or mizani so I'm excited to see what phyto can do for me. The only thing is that I will have to change hairdressers cause JCPenny won't allow me to bring my own relaxer. Now I'm worried that the new hairdresser may overlap. Decisions, decisions! This salon applies phyto for only $65 (I hope I heard her right), that's less than I pay at JCPenny's.

Anyways I'll keep you ladies posted. Thanks for replying.

Please do. Hope everything turns out well!:)

achangedlife

Got my phytorelaxer last week and so far I'm happy with it. I was nervous at first cause I've never had my hair done by a white stylist before. She looked at my hair, went to get the relaxer and came back and asked me what strength do I usually use on my hair. At that point I'm thinking to myself, if she just looked at my hair and doesn't know what to use I'm in trouble. I told her that I felt my hair has been overprocessed in the past and would like something less harsh so I think she used the index 1. As she applied the relaxer I could tell that she was only applying it to the newgrowths so I felt better then. I got nervous again when she started to smooth my hair cause she started to comb with a rat tail comb and I thought she was gonna comb through the whole length but she only combed the newgrowths. She shampooed three times, said she was using a deep conditioner but she didn't let it sit. She just combed it through then rinsed. When I sat back in the chair after the wash I could already tell the difference. My hair wasn't flattend on top of my hair as usual. The newgrowths still had a little curl to it, which almost made it looked like it wasn't relaxed. I'm so used to having bone straight hair. I let her cut my hair and that was nervewrecking also. She said was just going to take a little length off the back and leave the rest virtually the same to give it more of a stacked and healthy look. I was pleased cause that's just what she did, she only took about an inch of the back and I watched as she trimmed the rest and she didn't take much off at all. She then blowdried using a round brush and then flat ironed. At the end my hair looked healthy and full, I could even shake it. I now understand what the other ladies meant when they said their hair felt heavier. It's a wierd and awesome feeling to actually feel your hair on your head without having to touch it to know it's there. I've since washed my hair and I've done both a rollerset and a wrap and my hair still feels full. What I'm hoping for now is to be able to stretch my relaxer to 3-4 months so that I won't have to pay this ridiculous amount of money every 6 weeks. If the next 5 weeks go smooth then I'll officially be a phyto convert, products and all.

JLove74

How long have you been using the phytorelaxer? Since 2000
Are there any longterm benefits to sticking with this relaxer? For me it's been working very well. The longterm benefits for me is - since it ain't broke, I ain't gon fix it.
Is it easier to stretch your relaxers? I'm not sure about this one, because even before joining the board I only got touch-ups ever 3-5 months.
Do you use any other phyto products and do you think they help in stretching or maintaining your relaxer? I don't use anyother products. I tried some, but didn't really like them that much.

Arcadian

phyto is fantastic, I've used it for a year now. I've retained more growth in that year than ever, and I don't relax as much either.

I think it works great for some and not so great for others though. I personally have never had any dryness from it, but some do.

Last relaxer was in august, I'll relax again in december.

-A

SweetNic_JA

JLove74 said:
How long have you been using the phytorelaxer? Since 2000
Are there any longterm benefits to sticking with this relaxer? For me it's been working very well. The longterm benefits for me is - since it ain't broke, I ain't gon fix it.
Is it easier to stretch your relaxers? I'm not sure about this one, because even before joining the board I only got touch-ups ever 3-5 months.
Do you use any other phyto products and do you think they help in stretching or maintaining your relaxer? I don't use anyother products. I tried some, but didn't really like them that much.
Your hair is gorgeous by the way! I couldn't stop admiring it when we were in DC. It's very thick, healthy and looks really strong