Looking for a afro kinky hairpiece...

msdeevee

Hey Ladies,

I haven't been here in a minute but I figured I could get help here. I have long 4b natural hair . I'm going on a cruise in September and would like to have a long natural looking hairpiece or ponytail.

I already have the UPA clip, but I'm looking for a little more variety and length. I have searched online but this seems to be non-existent.

Has anyone found anything like that?

Anticipating your answers.

msdeevee

I have 2 of them . I have the afro kinky and the relaxed looking one. The owner was nice enough to fix the afro kinky for me because My hair is very thick and it broke the original barrette I just couldn't get it fit , but I find the new barrettes for thicker hair still give me more trouble than I have time for just getting it on. I still recommend them though.

I'm looking for something now that looks like natural hair a little more textury (if that's a word) than the straightened look ponytails look and I want more length my own natural hair is collarbone length so I want a longer ponytail.

I can't believe something like that is so hard to find when more women are wearing natural hair.

Dee

msdeevee

Well, I don't expect it to match my hair exactly unless I buy a custom piece but just something I can blend my natural hair back with some gel or something and then attach the piece and it'll blend into my hair.

Maybe even look like Halle's (weave?) in my avi but be in the shape of a long ponytail.

Am I making this difficult :spinning: ?

Dee

glamazon386

Well, I don't expect it to match my hair exactly unless I buy a custom piece but just something I can blend my natural hair back with some gel or something and then attach the piece and it'll blend into my hair.

Maybe even look like Halle's (weave?) in my avi but be in the shape of a long ponytail.

Am I making this difficult :spinning: ?

Dee

I don't think so. I just think that they're arent many weaves out that look like our hair. There's obviously more straight, wavy and curly ones out. I have the kinky curly UPA clip. I got it in the mail a few weeks ago but I haven't worn it yet. I was in cornrows when it came and I haven't had the time to try and slick my hair back and test it out. I tried to clip it on once but I can't figure out how to get it to hook to my hair. I'm afraid if I shake my head too hard it will fall off. I don't have that much hair to clip it to. Maybe I'm not doing it right? How do you get yours secured to your hair? The curls in it actually do look like my hair though.

Last edited:

msdeevee

I'm sorry...I've been away from the PC for a minute.

I felt like that too when I put the UPA on for the opposite reason, My hair is so thick and then you have to put the elastic around your own pony and I was afraid the thing would pop open at the wrong time :blush: but it stayed on very well. You just clip it on like you would a regular barrette. From what the owner says , did you see the pic of her with about a 1 or 2" ponytail? having a small little tail shouldn't be a problem. I found her to be very helpful though when I had a problem changing the barrette she sent me an illustration showing exactly how to do it. Just e-mail her and let her know you're having a problem. I must admit I don't wear mine much . I love having my own natural hair out . I just wanted a more carefree pony for the cruise caue I won't have time to do my hair everyday. You know natural hair takes time.

I got a great idea on another hair site, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'm gonna get some bohemian or jerry curl weaving and apply some conditioner and brush it out and make my own ponytail so I can get exactly what I want.

Dee

pattycake0701

Well, I have this one...

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/shakengo.html

Nonie

I don't know how long you want your hair to look but I had two. I preferred the Cozy one by www.wowwigs.com as it matched my hair the best:

Then I had this bigger one which was more 3C/4A so I only wore it with my hair pressed so it could have the same sheen. Unfortunately I can't remember who it's by. I'll be back with the info after I search my emails for when I bought it to see if I can find the vendor.

ETA: I couldn't find the relevant email but seem to think I got this from www.ponyponies.com whose website is down at the moment.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I'm sorry...I've been away from the PC for a minute.

I felt like that too when I put the UPA on for the opposite reason, My hair is so thick and then you have to put the elastic around your own pony and I was afraid the thing would pop open at the wrong time :blush: but it stayed on very well. You just clip it on like you would a regular barrette. From what the owner says , did you see the pic of her with about a 1 or 2" ponytail? having a small little tail shouldn't be a problem. I found her to be very helpful though when I had a problem changing the barrette she sent me an illustration showing exactly how to do it. Just e-mail her and let her know you're having a problem. I must admit I don't wear mine much . I love having my own natural hair out . I just wanted a more carefree pony for the cruise caue I won't have time to do my hair everyday. You know natural hair takes time.

I got a great idea on another hair site, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'm gonna get some bohemian or jerry curl weaving and apply some conditioner and brush it out and make my own ponytail so I can get exactly what I want.

Dee

I emailed her and she said to try and push the bottom of it in or something. I'm still afraid to wear it out of the house. I don't want to be walking around with that little ping pong ball pony somewhere. I'll try it again. Thanks.

Nonie

I don't know what texture you're going for but the ponies I posted are draw string and I'd wear the puff over twists and they worked for me. I don't see why they wouldn't work on around a puff. I see the link for wow wigs didn't work. This is the correct link: http://wowwigs.stores.yahoo.net/cozy.html

dany06

I know that you probaby dont want to but you could do a little diy project. You can make something similar to the upa clip phony pony. Use Bohyme Brazilian wave cut it a little short and fluff it to look more like a natural pony tail. If you a 3c/4a with visable curls then use a denman brush on it. If you are more 4b then just brush it out a little to look like afro hair.