L'Oreal Found Guilty of Racial Discrimination

Will you still purchase L'Oreal and other it's related brands?

• Nope, take my money elsewhere.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Didn't purchase their products to begin with.

Votes: 65 37.4%
  • Not sure....

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Yes I will still purchase L'Oreal products.

Votes: 24 13.8%

• Total voters

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Pretty Much Have some of Every Product Line mentioned i.e. Keratase, Redken, Mizani, etc..

And in the Make-Up I have & use L'Oreal Volumious & Maybelline Volume Xpress as well as Many of their Lipsticks and the L'Oreal HIP Shadows & Blush.

Don't use Any of the Gardiner Hair Products though:nono:

However, I will use what I currently have, but may not purchase anything else.:rolleyes:

Lex_Artis

From Wikipedia:

The L'Oreal Group
Biotherm
Cacharel cosmetics
CCB Paris
Diesel Fragrances
Galderma Laboratories
Garnier
Giorgio Armani Parfums and Cosmetics
Helena Rubinstein
Innéov
Kérastase
Kiehl's
La Roche-Posay
Lancôme
L'Oréal Paris
L'Oréal Professionnel
L'Oréal Technique
Matrix
Maybelline New York
Mizani
Ombrelle
Paloma Picasso Fragrances
Ralph Lauren Fragrances
Redken
Sanoflore
Shu Uemura
Shu Uemura Art of Hair
SkinCeuticals
SoftSheen-Carson
The Body Shop
Vichy Laboratoires
Victor & Rolf Parfums
YSL Beauté

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

It's not hard to believe that another big company has discriminatory actions. We (AA) want so hard to believe that things have gotten better and in some ways they have but in reality there will always be a group of people that will hate on us and feel the need to exert "power" over others.

I wish it wasn't this company since I have used several of there products. I don't know if I'm that upset since the products weren't staples. I'll just make a conscious decision not to purchase anything from L'Oreal.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
All of these examples were proven to be rumors.

I don't think I would Boycott it. A couple years back it was reported that timbalands were owned by a member of the KKK...Snapple was owned by the KKK (which i believed isnt true because its owned by Dr. Pepper) and Tommy Hilfiger was racist (which im still not sure cause didnt he ask aaliyah to model some of his clothes?)...but point being,..theres alot of racist business owners..i cant & wont sift through them all. My opinion though..nobody get mad..MY OPINION.

CurlyMoo

No I won't boycott because I don't give too much thought to these companies. Let the law handle this. But it will be a nice conversation piece. Who here takes aspirin? Did you know that Bayer Aspirin financed the Nazi's? There are also plenty of banks that financed the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. If we go around boycotting EVERY company that has a hand in racism we might as well not buy anything at all.

bedazzled

No I won't boycott because I don't give too much thought to these companies. Let the law handle this. But it will be a nice conversation piece. Who here takes aspirin? Did you know that Bayer Aspirin financed the Nazi's? There are also plenty of banks that financed the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. If we go around boycotting EVERY company that has a hand in racism we might as well not buy anything at all.
thats exactly how i feel.

sqzbly1908

I am not boycotting - I think the majority of these organizations "feel" like this about minoirities -but due to statutes, laws, status quos, etc. they "have" to include us in some form or fashion. They don't want "us" working for them, wearing their product in public, etc. but don't have a problem taking our money.

At this point - I would be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" - even if I did boycott, I don't think they will be hurting if I did not spend the 200.00 or less (a year) on my Mizani Butter Blend, Kerastase and Redken....

Sad to say this is the world we live in....

Pandora1975

I actually am going to avoid buying their stuff. I'm sorry, but they broke the law. I can't support that, racial or not.

danysedai

and I just switched to Kerastase, lol

I think it is inevitable that we will buy their products even without knowing, and I will keep buying my Kerastase, my hair has thrived with it.

from wikipedia:
"L’Oréal purchased Synthélabo in 1973 to pursue its ambitions in the pharmaceutical field. Synthélabo merged with Sanofi in 1999 to become Sanofi-Synthélabo. Sanofi-Synthélabo merged with Aventis in 2004 to become Sanofi-Aventis."

And my husband has applied for a job with Sanofi-Pasteur

and...(also from wikipedia:
"L'Oréal still tests new ingredients on animals, which has led to criticism from Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping.[3] Following L'Oréal's purchase of The Body Shop, who previously were against animal testing, The Body Shop founder Dame Anita Roddick was forced to defend herself against allegations of abandoning her principles over L'Oréal's track record on animal testing. She declared, that her belief in the power of cosmetics to enhance female beauty was greater than any concern over animal testing. As a result, calls were made for shoppers to boycott The Body Shop"

There goes my white musk body lotion from The Body Shop.

kaykaybobay

I wont be boycotting either. Companies do many things, so do people we encounter every day. I can't go around boycotting every company I find doing some racist thing. If that is the case I should just avoid people right? They could secretly harbor racist feelings towards me or others. That would be plain silly to do so. They make good products that work. At a time when folks need jobs there is no way I will go around boycotting a company that employs many.

cupcakes

I dont use any of there products except Mizani
and theres no way i could give up my mizani relaxer

CurlyMoo

I actually am going to avoid buying their stuff. I'm sorry, but they broke the law. I can't support that, racial or not.

I myself and trying to find natural organic ways for hair and skin care. I'm grateful that we now know who the racist are however if I don't use the products it will be because if they don't like Black people then what exactly are they putting in the products to hurt us? Especially if the product is targeting the Black community. I won't be boycotting but I will pay better attention to the ingredient lists.

afiya27

Figures. I liked Garnier too.

Wow! Garnier is under L'Oreal?! It figures! I remember being alarmed at what I considered to be a "subtle" (to me blatant) racial slight in one of their commercials! It featured a white woman with an "Afro-like" hair style as an example of hair that the product could "fix"...Suspect! :perplexed But what can I say? Ebony and Essence feature adds like that ALL the time...What are we doing to ourselves folks!?

afiya27

Every-dogon-thing
Maybelline
Body Shop
Softsheen Carson
Diesel
Kerastase
Redken
Matrix
Lancome
Kielh
Giorgio Armani
Ralph Lauren
YSL Beaute
Cacharel

WOW! What a monopoly! Who owns this company? Why such a blatant policy? It's almost like an INTENTIONAL plot to undermine minority womens' attempts to present diverse alternatives to European beauty! Such insecurity! I thought that conspiracies/thinking like this were things of the past! At least that's what white folks would have us believe. They're constantly implying that the current race-based hierarchical conditions are the result of their ANCESTORS' blatant racism, and that all they're doing is just living their lives (i.e. they can't do anything about the past/we're living in the past/blah blah blah). But THIS seems to suggest something else!

ajacks

Yup I believe it.. because everytime I see a minority as the spokesmodel they look more and more European every time... Beyonce, Penelope Cruz, the Indian girl from Slum Dog, and the spanish chick from Desp. Housewives. That ain't no coincedence. Only bad thing is my hair loves some Garnier and there aren't too many products my hair likes.

And despite this article, I bet these ladies will not be giving up their lucrative millions of dollar contracts.

I hope that it is limited to the Granier division of the company, but until I know for certain I will have to boycott L' Oreal completely thus giving up my beloved Mizani. PJism finally paid off. I had a lot of Mizani in my stash prior to hearing this, and I won't be throwing that stuff out.

nysister

While it's true that if you dig into the past of most large companies you'll find some reason not to use their products or services, however I find this too blatant to ignore. Besides money talks. Companies don't care if you like or dislike something as long as you buy what they're selling. Boycotting if even for a little while tells them that their actions weren't appreciated and gives them future incentive to stay "on the level". Besides, like most big businesses they're selling chemicals anyway, I like to buy Natural, Non-GMO, real Organic. That isn't L'Oreal or anything they could ever possibly be. They're as processed as it comes.

Miss*Tress

Yup I believe it.. because everytime I see a minority as the spokesmodel they look more and more European every time... Beyonce, Penelope Cruz, the Indian girl from Slum Dog, and the spanish chick from Desp. Housewives. That ain't no coincedence. Only bad thing is my hair loves some Garnier and there aren't too many products my hair likes.
Technically speaking, Penelope Cruz *is* European as she is Spanish. BTW, Eva Longoria is Tex-Mex not Spanish.

that_1_grrrl

Yeah, the only thing on this list I own is a pair of expensive a** Diesel jeans, which I vowed I would never buy again because 1) I had to buy a men's size and 2) they're now too big and 3) they're too baggy.

All this other stuff would never be on my to-buy list to begin with.
Every-dogon-thing
Maybelline
Body Shop
Softsheen Carson
Diesel
Kerastase
Redken
Matrix
Lancome
Kielh
Giorgio Armani
Ralph Lauren
YSL Beaute
Cacharel

NappyMD

Wait..I have a question. While reading some of the other reports on it, it was stated that it was only the Garnier Fructis department. I know each department is ran by their own execs so maybe not all of Loreal is corrupted? I started looking up on it when I saw this cute pic of kerry and they didnt photoshop her european style. LOL - But what do yall thing? I mean don't mad african american celebs support & promote Giorgio Armani?

I am just a newcomer, but I think bedazzled made some good points that were largely ignored. Large conglomerates like Kraft, P&G, etc, own several smaller companies but rarely play a large role in running them. Besides, you have to have a little sympathy - if I started a natural black hair company I could see myself getting strung up on discrimination charges cause I would want natural black women that spoke English. L'oreal is a French company, and they like the image of having a lot of French employees. I'm not saying they didn't do anything wrong, but it could be worse.

If I am looking at a new product that is from L'oreal, I will try to avoid it, but I'm not going to boycott Armani (which has an excellent reputation with minorities, Lancome (used Tresor all my life), SoftSheen Carson (originally an all black company which STILL provides scholarships to HBCs and other community work), and probably not redken unless something comes up (JUST bought Butter Treat). Many of these companies operate independently for all intents and purposes, and therefore should be judged on their own merit. :yep:

babyleaf

I personally have a close friend that works in the Loreal headquarter office here in New York and she is african-american. After I asked about this suit she said that it has nothing to do with anything outside of the United Kingdom. It holds no relevance to the united states and it was about models..nothing more than models. Now, let me say I am in no way defending loreal and my friend definitely is not (she happens to be very unhappy with her work conditions concerning race relations), however this suit has very little to do with the company and alot to do with the uk and the division of garnier only. In saying this, let's be realistic ladies.....how many models have you seen for none ethnic products that are non ethnic? Or should I turn the table...how many white girls have you seen advertise mizani products? In marketing it is important to target your TARGET audience. In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing compared to some of the foolishness that happens with other large corporations.

cltsassy

I work for the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and you would be surprised at how many companies engage in racial discrimination. Unfortunately, it is usually a case wherein specific individuals engage in discrimination, but they are in supervisory or managerial roles and their subordinates are afraid to go against them. IMO, to condemn every company under the Loreal umbrella is unfair because not everyone in these companies believes in or engages in racial discrimination. I understand the gut reaction, which is to boycott the parent company and all of the offspring companies, but I think that is also a bit unrealistic. Within these offspring companies are lines that cater to minority women and I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

stixx

I just have to say I doubt this kind of behaviour would go on in L'Oreal's American, British, Canadian etc. divisions

It's a problem endemic in French society...so while the calls to boycott the company worldwide are powerful statements, it won't address a very serious problem within a French society attempting to deal with immigration and integration.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i'll still purchase the products. i don't see the point in not buying. i don't know nor do i care if people who make hair products, toilet paper, pillows silverware, whatever, practice racial discrimination. i'm still gonna get what i want.