L'Oreal's Ethnic Institute

smlwndr97

Aesthetician
L\'Oreal\'s Ethnic Institute

Big brands are coming out of the woodworks to find new products to sell to us. Its a shame that more African American personal care companies do not pool resources to enter into a venture like this. But perhaps that's the case b/c we don't partonize them like we do the other brands.
-Monique

L’Oréal Opens Ethnic Institute
By Pete Born

NEW YORK — L’Oréal USA bet $11 million this week on its future in multicultural beauty.

The occasion was the official opening of the L’Oréal Institute for Ethnic Hair and Skin Research on Chicago’s Near South Side. L’Oréal bills the 58,000-square-foot converted building as “the first and only” research facility of its kind. Dr. Victoria Holloway, director of the Institute and assistant vice president of research and development for L’Oréal USA, said, “The mission of the center is to conduct and support basic research to gain an understanding of the characteristics of hair and skin of people of African descent.”

She stressed that this has nothing to do with product development, which is handled by other departments within L’Oréal’s R&D network. However, she acknowledged that the prime beneficiary of the Institute’s research effort will clearly be its sister division, Soft Sheen/Carson, which also is based on Chicago’s South Side. But it won’t be the only beneficiary. Jean-Paul Agon, L’Oréal USA president and chief executive officer, has stressed in the past that the fruits of the research can be applied to various L’Oréal brands. He referred to the opening of the center as a milestone.

Holloway came to L’Oréal from Johns Hopkins University, where she received a masters degree in public health after graduating from Harvard University and Yale Medical School. L’Oréal’s $11 million investment was devoted mainly to buying the building, a former warehouse at 21st Street and Wabash Avenue, and renovating four of the six floors. The Institute shares the building with a product development operation and an applications lab.

Within a few years, Holloway envisions a staff of 30 or 40 working in the Institute.

Re: L\'Oreal\'s Ethnic Institute

A lot of the "AA hair companies" are actually owned by major companies such as revlon and l'oreal. I find that so called "black hair products" use cheap ingredients that coat people's hair. I have sent emails and what not to various companies, but they don't seem to listen. So I ended up using "mainstream white hair care products" but just have to do a little extra on the conditioning end.

JenJen2721

It's funny I noticed that the new conditioner in the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line has mineral oil in it, but none of the "regular" Pantene conditioners do. What's up w/that?

smlwndr97

Aesthetician

Hey OE,

You make some excellent points. That's the main reason why I use some of the more mainstream products as well.

-monique

JenJen2721

It's not necessarily bad for the hair, but can however, clog the pores on the scalp. Mineral oil is one of the cheapest oils that companies can use in beauty products. There are lots of better oils that can be used in hair products, but they are of course more expensive than mineral oil. In general, oils are good for holding moisture in.

Ipanema

I think people think mineral oil is bad because it makes the hair "greasy" and just coats the hair instead of penetrating the strand like other oils can. Some people say mineral oil & petrolatum clogs pores. However, a lot of people have no problem with these ingredients.

JenJen2721

I got this information from an Asian hair care site:

Does conditioner leave your hair oily? Cream rinse is a surface type conditioner that helps detangling by taking away static electricity. This is for daily usage. Petroleum, lanolin and mineral oil based conditoners, on the other hand, tend to leave hair to collect dirt more easily because the molecular structures are bigger and they weigh the hair down.

http://asiams.net/Hair/Frankly/frankly.html

ms_kenesha

I don'rt know why companies don't replace the mineral oil with Soybean oil which is also very cheap (maybe not as cheap as mineral oil). At least soybean oil doesn't just sit on your hair strands!

Boadicea

I guess they feel, why should they change it? If they don't listen to the emails their customers send them, then they must not care much. Besides, even though there are a lost of women (read: tond of women) out there who are knowledgable about their hair care products, there are still many more who know nothing about mineral oil or SLS and the like and will continue to use products with those thigns in them, blissfully unaware.

Momstar

I am happy that they are recognizing our needs. I was hoping black people could be the ones to do something like this,but at least it's something. I have always like Loreal and I am glad to know they are investing in something that will eventually benefit me and my hair.

SVT

Poster: JenJen2721
[ QUOTE ]
I got this information from an Asian hair care site:

Does conditioner leave your hair oily? Cream rinse is a surface type conditioner that helps detangling by taking away static electricity. This is for daily usage. Petroleum, lanolin and mineral oil based conditoners, on the other hand, tend to leave hair to collect dirt more easily because the molecular structures are bigger and they weigh the hair down.

http://asiams.net/Hair/Frankly/frankly.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link Jen.

I learned this about mineral oil from the website you posted:

Mineral oils have a low boiling point so when you're styling hair, it'll heat up and swell the hair strands.