Losing hair around the edges...

happyyogi

Hey ladies! I was wondering if any of you could recommend something for my edges. I wear my hair in a ponytail 95% of the time...and I truly think/know that it's the reason my hair is thinning around the sides. I have ALWAYS worn my hair too darn tight. But, I just can't do it any other way! I wear the ponytail to work and as soon as I get home, I take it down....I can't do a loose one to save my life! So, is there anything you all could recommend (for the thin edges) for me? TIA

lovechic

If you wear your ponytail pulled back too tight, I'm sure that has something to do with your thinning edges.

ajargon02

Why not try to do something different. I mean if you keep on the same path, I am sure you won't have to worry about it too soon. It will be bald! Girl don't do that to yourself. Check out some albums to get some quick easy style ideas or something.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I am having the same problem. This is the reason I gave up the baggie challenge because of my thinning temples. I am currently wearing a french roll and it doesn't pull as much on my sides as the ponytail. I went to buy ProfectIv thinning temples last week to see if it helps. I will update you as soon as I see some improvement. BTW they say to moisturize/oil temples to keep them from breaking and of course no stress on them. HTH

BAILEYSCREAM

Well, for a star, how about leaving some hair out at the front and rollersetting it, with one roller overnight....

or brushing out a few hairs at the front where your hair is fragile

or try not to wear your ponytail so tight

or buy a hair magazine and look for a new style....

the possibilities are endless.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
tryn2growmyhair said:
DO NOT rollerset, either. That can thin your hair edges out too. And consider wearing looser updos.

You are so right about the rollersets thinning the edges.

Divine Inspiration

ORS Temple SERUM not balm, did the trick for me. However, I think if you are able to grow them using a product/method 2 of 2 things will happen if you don't stop pullin the pony so tight every day:
1) It will take FOREVER for them to grow in b/c the process is counterproductive since the temples aren't allowed to rest
OR
2) The product will do no good because the tension on the temples is counteracting the growth

Just my lil ol 2 pennies

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I have noticed thinning edges as well from wearing ponytails too often. I've started to leave some of the hair out in front or covering the front of my hair with a pretty scarf so that I won't have to touch the front of my hair. I just smooth it down with my hands - no brushing.

lovelymissyoli

I’ve never had a problem with thinning temples until I started wearing individual box braids about 2 years ago. Too little hair around the temples was used for the sections of the braids and at times I pulled them back too tight! I’m currently testing out Dr. Miracle’s Temple & Nape Gro Balm. I can feel it tingling after a minute of two, however, that could just be due to the ingredients in the product. I will give it a try for a month and report back with results.

In the meantime, you should really find another style that doesn’t require you to pull your hair back so tight. If you are truly worried about your thinning edges, please don’t make matters worse by not nipping the problem in the butt now!

I can’t recommend any products because I haven’t tested any products that have worked, however, if I find something that does, I’ll make sure to report those results to the ladies here on LHCF. Good luck and happy hair growing! :antlers:

happyyogi

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I had NO IDEA that roller sets can also cause strain to the edges! The ponytail and rollerset are the ONLY thing I wear! Oh Lord....what am I gonna do?!?
I can't imagine how I would look leaving some of my hair down around the edges...I would look like an out of style old lady! Oh yeah, and I have tried temple stuff, but I don't know if it helped or not because I would still put it into these ponytails! Well...let me get to looking for some different styles. Thanks again for all your input!

hopeful

lovelymissyoli said:
I’ve never had a problem with thinning temples until I started wearing individual box braids about 2 years ago. Too little hair around the temples was used for the sections of the braids and at times I pulled them back too tight! I’m currently testing out Dr. Miracle’s Temple & Nape Gro Balm. I can feel it tingling after a minute of two, however, that could just be due to the ingredients in the product. I will give it a try for a month and report back with results.

In the meantime, you should really find another style that doesn’t require you to pull your hair back so tight. If you are truly worried about your thinning edges, please don’t make matters worse by not nipping the problem in the butt now!

I can’t recommend any products because I haven’t tested any products that have worked, however, if I find something that does, I’ll make sure to report those results to the ladies here on LHCF. Good luck and happy hair growing! :antlers:

Lovelymissyoli, Any Updates?

lav123

ajargon02 said:
Why not try to do something different. I mean if you keep on the same path, I am sure you won't have to worry about it too soon. It will be bald! Girl don't do that to yourself. Check out some albums to get some quick easy style ideas or something.

Are there any particular websites where I can get easy style ideas for relaxed hair?

Honeyhips

Lovely
BAILEYSCREAM said:
Well, for a star, how about leaving some hair out at the front and rollersetting it, with one roller overnight....

or brushing out a few hairs at the front where your hair is fragile

or try not to wear your ponytail so tight

or buy a hair magazine and look for a new style....

the possibilities are endless.

Oh good tips!!!!

LovelyZ

If you're wearing a ponytail with all of your hair straight back, try putting a part in the center or on the side so the front hair is going in a "down" direction instead of straight back as usual.

BAILEYSCREAM

tthreat08 said:
Why do rollersets thin the edges?

I'd like to know too:yep:

Lovelylocs said:
Will the hair just grow back on it's own if u stop pulling it?

It should do, I think it just depends on if the hair follicle(s) inside the scalp have been damaged.

You can also try scalp massages with esseuntial oils....this stimulates the follicles and therefore will help with growth.

Last edited: