Lost My Edge..Venting.

Mz.Shug

So after 6 hours of carefully taking down my braids I see that my right edge has thinned out to the point that you can see my scalp.....not only that my hair is thin and my ends are sraggly looking. This sucks :ohwell:
I'm hoping that by starting to take care of my hair myself that it will become much healthier.

KAT25

So sorry that this happen.. I have learned too that taking care of your hair will give it the best care.

vestaluv1

So after 6 hours of carefully taking down my braids I see that my right edge has thinned out to the point that you can see my scalp.....not only that my hair is thin and my ends are sraggly looking. This sucks :ohwell:
I'm hoping that by starting to take care of my hair myself that it will become much healthier.

Sorry to hear this :bighug: ... I've been through worse and have realised that's its just a learning experience (that can save you from a worse experience in the future :yep:). It may be time to let you, and you alone take care of your hair.
How long did you have the braids in for? ... I read on the Crown and Glory website that braids around the edges should be re-done every 2 weeks.

Quote: "Since build Up is more prominent above the ears and the last row in the back/neck,
Every 2 weeks, redo at least 2-3 braids in these sections.
Build up is when you start to feel the base of the braid matte where the new growth is coming in.
The more silkier the hair, the more possible build up in these areas, but anyone who plans to wear extensions for 2 months should redo these areas every 2 weeks to avoid extreme build up.

Build up can become like dreads if put braid spray and Infusium 23 on the Scalp/base of your braid every day".

Your edges will grow back in no time!

Mz.Shug

Thankyou both for responding!

I wish I'd read this before as breakage occured exactly where you said! (above ears, last row in back also matted hair!) Truly education is the key to success of any kind! I'm going to the beautician Fri. to have my hair relaxed and then I'm going to take it from there. So glad to be on this forum. Very informative! Thanks again:grin:

vestaluv1

Thankyou both for responding!

I wish I'd read this before as breakage occured exactly where you said! (above ears, last row in back also matted hair!) Truly education is the key to success of any kind! I'm going to the beautician Fri. to have my hair relaxed and then I'm going to take it from there. So glad to be on this forum. Very informative! Thanks again:grin:

You're welcome!
Very true... (at the bolded). If only I had known certain things before, I could have saved myself from many a hair disaster!
Good Luck and Happy Hair Growing Mz.Shug! :grin:

naturalgurl

Bless your heart. Taking care of your hair WILL bring it back so don't give up! If you're worried about build up, use all natural. I'm a braid queen myself and I've learned that if I use aloe, glycerin and natural oils I have no build up when I take my hair down. Build up is stuff in BSS products that your hair can't absorb.( I know, I know, I say this all of the time but because it's true). Trust me, try it. When I take my corn rows out this weekend I plan on taking pics to put in my fotki to show that there will be NO BUILD UP. (ETA- And I slather my head daily with glycerin, aloe, coconut oil, vatika oil and amla oil on alternate days)